Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2011   #1
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What would you do if you were GM???

Firstly i would like to say this is not a ....if i was GM i would sack the entire Houston organisation type of thread.
we have enough joke and crap threads of these boards, its merely a way to get excited and thinking about the offseason.

I will base my offseason off us being a 3-4 team, because it seems quite clear we will move to such a scheme with the types of candidates people are throwing around.

Free Agency
i would sign Champ Bailey and use him as a safety so that he can be on the field for leadership and quality and also still be able to teach our young corners and play at CB. Also if you believe the rumours pollard will no longer be with us next year.

I would also try to sign a WR, we all know that walter and jacoby are good but they're to inconsistent if we can get a 2nd threat alongside AJ our offence will be the best in the league. period!

If they did this in FA i would be extremely happy.

DRAFT
There are a couple of ways we can go in the draft.

firstly trade down 4-5 spots and pick up another 2nd rounder.
and with the pick around 15-16 the Houston texans pick ..... Von Miller.

By going to the 3-4 defence we get an extremely fast quick and dominate pass rusher.

Now we have 3 legitimate (legitimate i mean by starting or better nfl standard) 3-4 OLB in barwin cushing and von miller.

In the 2nd round we pick up Deunta Williams OR Rahim Moore at FS this gives us depth at Safety with bailey and he can also help them out.

With our 2nd pick in the 2nd round we select jerrell powe from ole miss, 6.2ft 320 pounds.
Now we have the best NT in the draft and we have a big man who can dominate the line alongside williams and smith or whoever the new DC goes with.

Now if pollard goes in the 3rd round we pick another safety.
if he doesnt i say we start picking the best players available at O-line, 3-4 DE/OLB and ILB and finally punter in the 7th round.

If we dont sign a WR in FA i think one of the options for us is to trade down in the draft to around 20-25 and pick up Michael Flloyd from Notre Dame.
He is probably just as good as AJ green (green will on in the top 5) but because of injury troubles will go late in the draft.

and then the rest of the draft is as stated above.

DE/OLB in this draft is very deep and many can be found later. thats why i think picking flloyd in the 1st is not totally a bad idea even though we have massive problems on D.

Just some ideas to get the creative juices flowing

GO TEXANS
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #2
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84
Default Re: What would you do if you were GM???

If I was the current GM of the Texans, I would fire myself and pray that McNair does not file criminal theft charges against me for stealing his money last year.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #3
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
If I was the current GM of the Texans, I would fire myself and pray that McNair does not file criminal theft charges against me for stealing his money last year.
see this is the type of s**t i didnt want this thread to turn in to...grow up
Old 01-03-2011   #4
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd hire Rooney as our owner. See what I did there?
Old 01-03-2011   #5
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I would make a phone call to Daryl Morey of the Rockets for a few pointers on how to put together a team.
Old 01-03-2011   #6
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I were GM I'd enlist myself in the Federal Witness Protection Program and relocate to Maine to escape the wrath of the Texans fans and Media.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LOL

Draft thread section

We take differing ideas seriously over there.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2011   #8
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
We are still wallowing in our pity party around here. We'll start talking draft and our fantasy football roster possibilities around March. Have a nice evening.

See what I did there? I didn't use profanity or personal insults. You might try it sometime.
Old 01-03-2011   #9
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

cant we have one serious thread on these entire board

everyone thinks that their comedians now.
Old 01-03-2011   #10
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The GM has no real say in this matter. This is all coming direct from McNair and bypasses the GM.

Rick Smith: "Whatever you say Bob, you are the Boss."
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #11
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Quote:

I was being serious in my last post. Give us some time to complete our catharsis. Then we'll play the draft game. Hell, we don't even know whateing. kind of defense we are going to be running next year. Therefore, we don't know what our defensive needs will be. We just found out today that Bud McAdams never really left here. His long lost relative owns our current franchise. Therefore, it has hit us that we are the new Aints. Let us have our levity for the time being.
Old 01-03-2011   #12
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
We are still wallowing in our pity party around here. We'll start talking draft and our fantasy football roster possibilities around March. Have a nice evening.

See what I did there? I didn't use profanity or personal insults. You might try it sometime.
its just so frustrated that i come on to these threads to talk about the nfl and the texans and all i see in broadway musicals and movies about WARY.

im angry too at the way our organisation has handle this but i deal with it and not by getting on my computer and just making nonsense.

I live in australia so i dont get much of a chance to talk to people about nfl apart from my mates who go for the dolphins bears and cowboys so who cares about them.

i saw this board as a chance to express my ideas and thoughts and then i get thread after thread after thread about nothing.
Old 01-03-2011   #13
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wow, you sure do know a lot about this board in your whole 1 month of posting.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #14
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Quote:
its just so frustrated that i come on to these threads to talk about the nfl and the texans and all i see in broadway musicals and movies about WARY.

im angry too at the way our organisation has handle this but i deal with it and not by getting on my computer and just making nonsense.

I live in australia so i dont get much of a chance to talk to people about nfl apart from my mates who go for the dolphins bears and cowboys so who cares about them.

i saw this board as a chance to express my ideas and thoughts and then i get thread after thread after thread about nothing.
Like I said we are trying to get it out of our system right now. Give us some time. Our owner just became only the second one in NFL history to bring back a head coach with 5 consecutive season with no playoff appearances. It is pretty hard to take right now.
Old 01-03-2011   #15
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

i have been looking at this board for over a year but i only became a member yes a little over a month ago, but even still it would be easy to see that there is a lot of meaningless threads on it
Old 01-03-2011   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Welcome aboard, and stick around. There are a lot of folks that like to talk football, but this is a real down time on the board. It will get better again, but you have to remember...

It's the OFFSeason!!!
Old 01-03-2011   #17
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Welcome aboard, and stick around. There are a lot of folks that like to talk football, but this is a real down time on the board. It will get better again, but you have to remember...

It's the OFFSeason!!!
fair enough, obviously we all have different ways of dealing with what has happened this year.

and thank you for welcoming me
Old 01-03-2011   #18
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

As for a real response...

Defense

- I'd hire a DC that will stick with the 4-3, and has had prior experience & success as a DC. (Don't know if that candidate exists though?) Our personnel is better suited for a 4-3.
- I'd try to re-sign Pollard, but wouldn't overpay in order for him to stay. If he stays, I'd consider benching him on obvious passing plays. (this is more of a coaching than GM decision)
- Try to sign a FA CB, like Champ Bailey. Throwing KJ into the fire was obviously a bad decision. I don't want to give up on him, but lets give him some time to learn.
- Draft a speedy, ball-hawking FS in the first 3 rounds. Seems like we keep saying this every year?
- I'm not happy with Diles, but I wouldn't bring in anyone new. Open up the competition for the starting job with Adibi & Sharpton. Maybe even Bing if he comes back?

Offense

- Let Jacoby go. He's not panning out as we'd all hope.
- Draft a receiver in the first 3 rounds. It seems that KW was having problems getting open this season? The patriots have also proved you can still win with a crappy defense, as long as your offense is unstoppable!
- Either try to trade Slaton, or let Ward go. I think Tate will be the #2. I have a feeling Ward will sign somewhere he'll get more playing time.
- Re-sign Leinart. Not sure if he'll want to, since he wants to start. But I would like Leinart to come back and compete for the #2 spot.
- Re-sign OD. Our offense is so much better with him around. Too bad I have little faith, though, he can play a full season.

Special Teams
- Get rid of Turk! He's done with.
- With Jacoby gone, we'll need someone at PR & KR. Hopefully Holliday is that guy. To be safe, I'd draft a return guy in the later rounds.

As you can see, I also tried to stay realistic with my moves. I'd like Ngata just like everyone else, but we all know that's not happening.
dream_team is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #19
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
As for a real response...

Defense

- I'd hire a DC that will stick with the 4-3, and has had prior experience & success as a DC. (Don't know if that candidate exists though?) Our personnel is better suited for a 4-3.
- I'd try to re-sign Pollard, but wouldn't overpay in order for him to stay. If he stays, I'd consider benching him on obvious passing plays. (this is more of a coaching than GM decision)
- Try to sign a FA CB, like Champ Bailey. Throwing KJ into the fire was obviously a bad decision. I don't want to give up on him, but lets give him some time to learn.
- Draft a speedy, ball-hawking FS in the first 3 rounds. Seems like we keep saying this every year?
- I'm not happy with Diles, but I wouldn't bring in anyone new. Open up the competition for the starting job with Adibi & Sharpton. Maybe even Bing if he comes back?

Offense

- Let Jacoby go. He's not panning out as we'd all hope.
- Draft a receiver in the first 3 rounds. It seems that KW was having problems getting open this season? The patriots have also proved you can still win with a crappy defense, as long as your offense is unstoppable!
- Either try to trade Slaton, or let Ward go. I think Tate will be the #2. I have a feeling Ward will sign somewhere he'll get more playing time.
- Re-sign Leinart. Not sure if he'll want to, since he wants to start. But I would like Leinart to come back and compete for the #2 spot.
- Re-sign OD. Our offense is so much better with him around. Too bad I have little faith, though, he can play a full season.

Special Teams
- Get rid of Turk! He's done with.
- With Jacoby gone, we'll need someone at PR & KR. Hopefully Holliday is that guy. To be safe, I'd draft a return guy in the later rounds.

As you can see, I also tried to stay realistic with my moves. I'd like Ngata just like everyone else, but we all know that's not happening.
Agree with most of this, except Slaton/Ward.
Mine would be to trade Slaton if possible, and cut him if you can't. Try to keep Ward, but only at a reasonable price, which might not be possible.
If Slaton and Ward are both gone, try to sign a mid level veteran for a modest price. If Tate stays healthy, I think he can give us basically what Ward did this year.
My best case scenario would be:
Foster
Ward
Tate
Late round pick for Slaton
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #20
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

yeah i have to agree with pretty much everything you wrote apart from not bringing anyone else in at OLB.

i really like sharpton and i think he should start but it would be good for competition if we draft someone and then let go one of the others on the team

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read