Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2011   #1
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I'm not convinced Bush was the problem.

Please help convince me Bush was the problem with the defense. I want to be optimistic about next season.

In 2009, Bush created the best defense in Texans history (regarding points & yards allowed). How did the defense regress so much?

Personally, I think the players simply played better in 2009. Combine that with losing Dunta, Barwin, Ryans, and the tougher schedule... you get the 2010 defense.

I'm not saying we should've kept Bush. He should've done a better job of adjusting and fixing the problems mid-season. But I believe the players are more to blame than the coach.

Please tell me I'm wrong and a new DC will cure our defensive woes.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #2
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I'm not convinced Bush was the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Please help convince me Bush was the problem with the defense. I want to be optimistic about next season.

In 2009, Bush created the best defense in Texans history (regarding points & yards allowed). How did the defense regress so much?

Personally, I think the players simply played better in 2009. Combine that with losing Dunta, Barwin, Ryans, and the tougher schedule... you get the 2010 defense.

I'm not saying we should've kept Bush. He should've done a better job of adjusting and fixing the problems mid-season. But I believe the players are more to blame than the coach.

You're wrong and a new DC will cure our defensive woes.
Old 01-03-2011   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We were 4-2 til we list DeMeco................. Seriously though, after watching and paying more attention to the defense the last few weeks, the players often seemed lost and out of place pre snap, sometimes just looking around at one another with their arms up totally looking totally confused.
Old 01-03-2011   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense will improve under Wade. (They can't get any worse.)

But the defense was not the only problem with this team.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #5
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 27348 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

kubiak is going to work hard with these kids and they're going to prepare hard for every game. it's a tough business but they're going to do all they can to make mr. mcnair proud.

did that help?
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #6
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
We were 4-2 til we list DeMeco................. Seriously though, after watching and paying more attention to the defense the last few weeks, the players often seemed lost and out of place pre snap, sometimes just looking around at one another with their arms up totally looking totally confused.
This happened yesterday, esp with KJ. Is this Bush's fault or Gibbs? Guess it won't matter anymore since both will be gone. If you listened to DeMeco on "Inside the Game" last night, he mentioned leadership as one of his strong assets. I think the team depended on Meco a lot more than we realized, and Cush is just to inexperienced to fill those shoes. JMO
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
This happened yesterday, esp with KJ. Is this Bush's fault or Gibbs? Guess it won't matter anymore since both will be gone. If you listened to DeMeco on "Inside the Game" last night, he mentioned leadership as one of his strong assets. I think the team depended on Meco a lot more than we realized, and Cush is just to inexperienced to fill those shoes. JMO
Agreed. I noticed this in the secondary as well as with the LB's in the past weeks but more in the secondary.
Old 01-03-2011   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
The defense will improve under Wade. (They can't get any worse.)

But the defense was not the only problem with this team.

THIS GUY IS A TEXANS FAN:

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
kubiak is going to work hard with these kids and they're going to prepare hard for every game. it's a tough ASS business but they're going to do all they can to make mr. mcnair proud.

did that help?
Correction
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #10
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaknnndagger View Post
this guy is a texans fan:

lmao!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

because we played the NFC West last year and it made our defense look better than what it was ?

Last edited by Wolf; 01-03-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not convinced that Bush was the entire problem either, but he was certainly a part of it. We kept the biggest problem at head coach so improvement next year may not be all that is expected by some folks.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #13
Grforces
Veteran

Section: anywhere and everywhere
Rep Power: 66 Grforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respected

Truth is, the D will be better if we get Wade, and call me a sucker but I think we will make the playoffs if we do get him. I wanted Kubiak gone as much as anyone. I even became a football expert in terms of judging talent, and play calling as much as everyone in Houston seems to suddenly think they are.
I din't watch the last game against the Jags, and tried to say I would'nt pay attention till the draft, But, I have to say McNair sucked me in.
Im getting excited about getting Wade, reading what everyone is saying about our current personel and how it would work with the 3-4.
Admit it or not, but if we switched to a 3-4, it would be a huge change.
While Bush was not the only problem, I think he was a key problem. The main guy is McNair and his perception of this football team.
Grforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Antonio Smith is the only one that has experience in the 3-4 (if I heard Pollard right)

Mario was quoted that he wasn't sure how he would work at a DE in the 3-4 (something like that, I couldn't understand most of it) but would wait and see with the new coach
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

I would assume if Wade came in as DC he would run a hybrid 4-3/3-4. God knows we need enough in the secondary, if someone comes in and switches strictly to the 3-4, then we can add defensive line and linebackers to what we already need in the secondary.
Old 01-03-2011   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'm not convinced that Bush was the entire problem either, but he was certainly a part of it. We kept the biggest problem at head coach so improvement next year may not be all that is expected by some folks.
When problems are evident but minimized or denied for so long at the top (McNair, Kubiak, Smith), it is virtually impossible to evaluate the contributions of the lesser "players."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually semi-agree with the OP. I don't think Bush was a good D Coordinator. Don't get me wrong, he needs to be gone. But you hire a guy, get rid of his top 2 corners after a year, bring in some rookies and then say..."go for it." As I've said all along the defenses demise is just as much om Smith and Kubiak as it is on Bush.
Old 01-03-2011   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

And to answer the OP...

No, Bush is never a problem.

Old 01-03-2011   #19
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
But most of the defense was the same from last season. There was only one new starter (KJ). Why would they be lost now, but not last season? Unless Bush implemented something new for this season.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
But most of the defense was the same from last season. There was only one new starter (KJ). Why would they be lost now, but not last season? Unless Bush implemented something new for this season.
This isn't the first time this has happened. I think it happened under Capers too. The wheels just fell off one year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read