Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2011   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cryptic answers by Kubiak, at presser, regarding who decides on new d-coord

Quote:
Question: Last time, you said you will interview several?

Kubiak: I will talk to several.

Question: Your decision solely?

Kubiak: All [have] a part of that process. Bob got ideas, Rick got ideas, I got ideas. We gotta come up with best group of guys.

Question: Final say?

Kubiak: We will all work together.
Unless houstonspartan transcribed it incorrectly, this is a blatant effort by Kubiak to not reveal who the HELL is in charge and has control of the operations here. Am I right, or am I wrong?

This is obviously a well-guarded and well-measured answer on Kubiak's behalf, but it would have been nice to know if the owner, the GM, the owner AND the GM, or if the HC is pulling the trigger on things now.

Does anyone have any other source material that can shed light on the decision-making process? That'd be nice to have a definitive answer, instead of us all sitting here debating it for 2011.

I don't think all three of them can come to a consensus on who to get as DC. My current theory is that the GM will have ultimately say, especially after Kubiak having to fire his friends (cue the theme song to "Friends" tv show).
Old 01-03-2011   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cryptic answers by Kubiak, at presser, regarding who decides on new d-coord

I would believe that Smith has the trump card over Kubiak. With that said, McNair has the trump card over Smith.

Quote:
3. Kubiak has the final okay on anyone hired to his staff.
http://www.texansbullblog.com/sleepe...ured-articles/
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #3
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cryptic answers by Kubiak, at presser, regarding who decides on new d-coord

Not because McClain said it but I believe it is Kubiak's final call. How I read into it when he says Rick and Bob got ideas; "Rick got ideas, Bob got ideas, I got ideas, so I'll listen to them on their input but ultimately is my final say".
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Did you notice that Kubiak said, without saying, that Bernard Pollard is a goner? Kubiak has zero intention of having him back on the team. I found that interesting.
Old 01-03-2011   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised if "final say" is situational. It has been before in this organization. The lack of a clear chain of command does not make for a smooth running ship.
Old 01-03-2011   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Did you notice that Kubiak said, without saying, that Bernard Pollard is a goner? Kubiak has zero intention of having him back on the team. I found that interesting.
He sure scooted around that question. Sounds like he's gone. Veteran CB + Veteran S needed from free agency.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #7
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Think of it like the movie Crimson Tide:

Rick Smith = Gene Hackman

Gary Kubiak = Denzel Washington...

Get it?
Old 01-03-2011   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
He sure scooted around that question. Sounds like he's gone. Veteran CB + Veteran S needed from free agency.
Unless they decide to go young.
Old 01-03-2011   #9
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Unless houstonspartan transcribed it incorrectly, this is a blatant effort by Kubiak to not reveal who the HELL is in charge and has control of the operations here. Am I right, or am I wrong?

This is obviously a well-guarded and well-measured answer on Kubiak's behalf, but it would have been nice to know if the owner, the GM, the owner AND the GM, or if the HC is pulling the trigger on things now.

Does anyone have any other source material that can shed light on the decision-making process? That'd be nice to have a definitive answer, instead of us all sitting here debating it for 2011.

I don't think all three of them can come to a consensus on who to get as DC. My current theory is that the GM will have ultimately say, especially after Kubiak having to fire his friends (cue the theme song to "Friends" tv show).
Not that it's a big deal and it looks like an easy mistake to make but I believe that it was HoustonSportsFan09 who transcribed that in the presser thread. I only noticed because I rep the guy every week for doing that and think he should get his due credit.

Carry on
Old 01-03-2011   #10
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Not that it's a big deal and it looks like an easy mistake to make but I believe that it was HoustonSportsFan09 who transcribed that in the presser thread. I only noticed because I rep the guy every week for doing that and think he should get his due credit.

Carry on
I was just about to say the same thing. Thanks for the credit, but I'm not the one who transcribed the press conference. I do appreciate all of those on here that take the time to do so however.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if "final say" is situational. It has been before in this organization. The lack of a clear chain of command does not make for a smooth running ship.
Sort of like children who have a play date, and each one takes turns being "the boss" and "the employee" and "the customer."

Yeah, it's pretty eff'd up.
Old 01-03-2011   #12
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Unless they decide to go young.
aw.. I didn't need that
Old 01-03-2011   #13
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Missed the presser and it's not up yet. Quotes are though... I should wait until tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2011   #14
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2013 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Haven't read the transcript, what did he say to suggest that. Then why Pollard?
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
Here are the quotes:

(on whether he talked to SS Bernard Pollard about his free agency situation) You know, there were a few guys like that today. I met with every player today and visited with them briefly. There are guys that are listed as unrestricted free agents; there are guys that could be restricted depending on what happens with the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement). I think thats a very open book right now, so we dont know, but my conversation with Bernard was good. He did not play yesterday with his shoulder bothering him, but he has done his job for us, he has always played hard for us. Bernard is sitting, I would assume, in a good situation. Hes been a good football player, hes free, and well see what happens.

(on whether he wants SS Bernard Pollard back with the Texans next season) Hes done a good job for this football team, but we have to go back and what well start doing tomorrow morning is go back and evaluating our football season and looking at our players, and weve got to decide which direction we go, but Bernard has always done his job.

It was the tone as well. He was very measured in limiting his compliments and skirting the question. Barrett and I were both independently struck that it was a strong signal he was not coming back.
Old 01-03-2011   #16
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I listened to it as well and got the same feeling about Pollard. Can't say I'm too upset about it. He has a cool personality and all, but the dude is a liability in our worst part on D, pass coverage. We need to trim the fat at a lot of positions this year. We can do better at that position and we must do it to improve.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I listened to it as well and got the same feeling about Pollard. Can't say I'm too upset about it. He has a cool personality and all, but the dude is a liability in our worst part on D, pass coverage. We need to trim the fat at a lot of positions this year. We can do better at that position and we must do it to improve.
I think Pollard was counted on to be a leader, particularly when they went super-young with the secondary. Instead of being accountable and helping the young guys, I think he played poorly in coverage and also diverted blame instead of taking responsibility for his mistakes. Kubiak wanted him to be accountable for his own mistakes and probably would've liked him to claim responsibility for some of Jackson's errors, as well. Instead, I saw Pollard yelling at a CB after a TD when Pollard clearly vacated his zone and helped cause the TD... not what Kubiak and company was looking for in leadership, I think.

(all that being said, I think Pollard is/can be a good player and was put in position to fail too often this season)
Old 01-03-2011   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
Pollard's a FA and he doesn't know if Wade wants him or not. Wade very well might want Pollard back, as Phillips did have big, physical safeties suchas as Atwater and Dennis Smith with the Broncos.
Old 01-03-2011   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see anything peculiar about what Gary said...

I will say that I don't think Rick Smith has more say than Kubiak in this regard...

What has HE done to earn that right?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #20
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't worry about Pollard. Smithiak has their eye on Jack Sprat, a great little project safety from the Little Sisters of the Poor wheelchair college team in the 7th rd.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read