Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Please stop labelling the Texans "MEDIOCRE!"

The Texans are NOT "MEDIOCRE." The offense (independent of a few record breaking performers and some meaningless "flashes") have put together an overall result that at very best could be referred to as "MEDIOCRE." All other aspects of the Texans game including their 6-10 record has been "HORRIBLE." MEDIOCRE is not a synonym for HORRIBLE!............unless you are Bob McNair.................or unless you are suffering from Post Traumatic Syndrome...............in which case you are excused!
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Please stop labelling the Texans "MEDIOCRE!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
or unless you are suffering from Post Traumatic Syndrome...............in which case you are excused!
I think that's the category I fall in. After a decade of watching this product I'm positive I have PTSD
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

me·di·o·cre
   /ˌmidiˈoʊkər/ Show Spelled[mee-dee-oh-ker] Show IPA
–adjective
1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate.
2. rather poor or inferior.
Old 01-03-2011   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care what kind of label you put on them, if it doesn't include "LOSERS" it isn't accurate anyway.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #5
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans are NOT "MEDIOCRE." The offense (independent of a few record breaking performers and some meaningless "flashes") have put together an overall result that at very best could be referred to as "MEDIOCRE." All other aspects of the Texans game including their 6-10 record has been "HORRIBLE." MEDIOCRE is not a synonym for HORRIBLE!............unless you are Bob McNair.................or unless you are suffering from Post Traumatic Syndrome...............in which case you are excused!
So an offense that produced the league leading rusher, a top 10 QB, the 5th ranked WR ( that's playing a whole season with a high ankle sprain) is considered less than mediocre? Let's not forget they played the majority of the season without their pro bowl TE, and think of how many possessions they missed out on because their D couldn't stop anyone.

I can understand being frustrated with the season but if you're going to criticize Kubes, then you have to give him his due credit. I don't think we have they best O in the league but we're pretty darn good. You also have to give Kubes credit for pushing Foster to become an elite back, fixing the short yardage and red zone issues.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
So an offense that produced the league leading rusher, a top 10 QB, the 5th ranked WR ( that's playing a whole season with a high ankle sprain) is considered less than mediocre? Let's not forget they played the majority of the season without their pro bowl TE, and think of how many possessions they missed out on because their D couldn't stop anyone.

I can understand being frustrated with the season but if you're going to criticize Kubes, then you have to give him his due credit. I don't think we have they best O in the league but we're pretty darn good. You also have to give Kubes credit for pushing Foster to become an elite back, fixing the short yardage and red zone issues.
Kubiak did fix a lot of stuff with the Texans, that's for sure. But the Texans record speaks for itself.

Old 01-03-2011   #7
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

We had a couple of mediocre SEASONS, but as a franchise under Kubiak, we are far less than mediocre. No playoff berth and a best 9-7 in 5 years is not mediocre, it's bad, very bad, one of the worst.

Mediocre is a team like the Titans who still go to the playoffs every few years. The Seahawks are mediocre and they were in the SB recently and the playoffs this year.

There are a lot of mediocre teams and we are not even close to being one of them.
Old 01-03-2011   #8
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Kubiak did fix a lot of stuff with the Texans, that's for sure. But the Texans record speaks for itself.
I'm not happy with the season at all BUT the WORST pass defense in the history of the NFL has an extremely negative impact on record. Additionally they were in every game this year but 3, losing a bunch on the last play. They averaged 24pts a game which is solid given our talent on O this year. How many more points would they have scored if the D could have gotten more stops and what would their record have been if not for the D giving up late leads in numerous games.

Kubes deserves criticism, no doubt and I'm sure he would admit as much. To be fair, if you're going to point out the negatives you should at least acknowledge the positives
Old 01-03-2011   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Kubes deserves criticism, no doubt and I'm sure he would admit as much. To be fair, if you're going to point out the negatives you should at least acknowledge the positives
I have. Kubiak has certainly improved certain aspects of the team, no doubt. My point is the won-loss record; it's bad. He's the head coach, he's responsible, and his five year record is bad. And that's it as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-03-2011   #10
otisbean
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I have. Kubiak has certainly improved certain aspects of the team, no doubt. My point is the won-loss record; it's bad. He's the head coach, he's responsible, and his five year record is bad. And that's it as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with this, but this thread started by saying we have a less than mediocre offense, that's what I've been refuting
Old 01-03-2011   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with this, but this thread started by saying we have a less than mediocre offense, that's what I've been refuting
I'd invite you to reread my initial post more carefully.
Old 01-03-2011   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

This is essentially the "mediocrity" that McNair has offered us fans.

Old 01-03-2011   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Kubiaks' hand picked GM/Coaching Staff/Players

5-11

Below medicore.

What happened to those guys that said to let the season play out before judging wether Kubiak should have been extended

You guys know who you are. I'm waiting to here from y'all.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #14
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

5-11

Below medicore.

What happened to those guys that said to let the season play out before judging wether Kubiak should have been extended

What are you wanting to hear? It's a moot point, Kubiak is back. I think that everyone from Rick Smith on down should have been fired, including all the scouting department and a large portion of the admin. staff. But that ain't happening. Instead of ranting about what should have been, or whose fault it is, I want to talk about where to go from here. Without all the sarcastic comments if you please.

We know where we are drafting, but everything else is up in the air.

First order of priortity is hiring a DC and getting a defensive staff put together. If we don't assume that Philips is the de facto DC, then who else do we look at?

Who do we look at in the draft?
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #15
otisbean
All Pro

Quote:
I'd invite you to reread my initial post more carefully.
The Texans are NOT "MEDIOCRE." The offense (independent of a few record breaking performers and some meaningless "flashes") have put together an overall result that at very best could be referred to as "MEDIOCRE."

When you say that the offense has put together a result that "at best" could be referred to as mediocre, to me you're saying we are not mediocre, we are less than mediocre on average. What I am missing? Perhaps you should re-word your message?
Old 01-04-2011   #16
otisbean
All Pro

Quote:

5-11

Below medicore.

Again, I'm not saying Kubiak doesn't DESERVE criticism for the season. I thought the OP was saying our offense was less than mediocre, that's all I was debating. And you are wrong, McNair hired Smith, albeit at Kubiak's recommendation. McNair interviewed several prospects, including Reggie McKenzie from GB and chose Smith.
Old 01-04-2011   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McNair interviewed several prospects, including Reggie McKenzie from GB and chose Smith.
That was a bag job. He may have given courtesy interviews, but that was Smith's job as soon as Kubiak asked for him.

Mediocre may have been overused and not really applicable to this season. I would say over the course of franchise history, "soft" would be the best term to describe this franchise. It starts from the top and permeates down. McNair was soft on David Carr and has been soft on Coach Teflon. Expectations are low. You see a lot of lip service about wanting to win. But, there's zero accountability if you don't. Unless, you're a defensive coordinator.

The Houston Marshmallows. This guy should replace Toro as the team mascot:

Old 01-04-2011   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:

5-11

Below medicore.

What's the point? Is everyone who posts here right all the time? I was a big Kubiak supporter, until he finally proved to me he wasn't the right guy, now I want him gone. What happens if we win a bunch of games and go to the Super Bowl next year? He'll prove a lot of us wrong AGAIN, and I'll probably change my mind on him AGAIN (for the third time).

And so what if that happens? It not that any of us here are complete frigging experts on this stuff, because if we were we'd be working for an NFL team not posting on a message board. I see no problem with saying stuff here and getting proven wrong on it.

Old 01-04-2011   #19
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 140 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected

Any chance with Team WARY we can get close to mediocre? ahhh... 8-8, 9-7.... those were the days...
Old 01-04-2011   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Again, I'm not saying Kubiak doesn't DESERVE criticism for the season. I thought the OP was saying our offense was less than mediocre, that's all I was debating. And you are wrong, McNair hired Smith, albeit at Kubiak's recommendation. McNair interviewed several prospects, including Reggie McKenzie from GB and chose Smith.

I believe that's about as convoluted a misinterpretation of words as I've ever read.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read