Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default While 2010 Fan Hopes Shattered, Nonetheless Paid Attendance Records Also Shattered

The total Texans paid attendance of 71,023 for yesterday's meaningless game was the sixth-highest crowd in Texans history. Four of the five largest were logged this season.

The total paid attendance for this season was a franchise-record 709,503. That surpassed the previous high of 705,947 set in 2004.

Nowhere do I see yesterday's actual turnstile attendance which was pitiful, but obviously a response to the team's pitiful overall performance........and the owner's oblivious "responses."

The PAID attendance record in light of quality of the product has afforded Uncle Bob the position to leave the message to fans..........."Let them eat cake."

Now, how did the original story using that line end??????.....................
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #2
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: While 2010 Fan Hopes Shattered, Nonetheless Paid Attendance Records Also Shattere

Of course we set records this year.

Coming off the first winning season, spanking the division champ on opening day, 4-2 to start the year... people were losing their damned minds.

Next year will be markedly different in terms of enthusiasm, and not in a good way.
Old 01-03-2011   #3
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: While 2010 Fan Hopes Shattered, Nonetheless Paid Attendance Records Also Shattere

I was wondering about that as well. They usually state it during the game at some point, and it was blatantly absent yesterday.
Old 01-03-2011   #4
Ckw

This is why Texans fans are weenies. Sorry, but I have very little respect for anyone that even showed up yesterday if you wanted Kubiak fired. The only way to have sent a message to Bob was to not show up as long as he continued his "We're on the right track on the Kubiak train" bull shit. If you are happy with Kubiak and are just happy to have football in Houston, fine go to the game. But if you actually wanted Kubiak gone, you were a fool to show up yesterday even if you did pay for the tickets.

What do we do? We set a freaking attendance record. I really am beginning to believe Houston fans are a joke. Makes me almost wish I wasn't born and raised here...

Old 01-03-2011   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

PSL's undermine the only weapon that fans have against inept and loser owners.

Houston Texans Marketing, Inc. is working overtime right now to get ready for the most important part of the year: season ticket renewals and sales.

Enjoy your "free gift", folks, because it's the highlight of every Texans season.
Old 01-03-2011   #6
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
snip --

What do we do? We set a freaking attendance record. I really am beginning to believe Houston fans are a joke. Makes me almost wish I wasn't born and raised here... --- snip
It was PAID attendance, not ACTUAL attendance. That is why CND mentioned the turnstiles in his post .... The stadium was a ghost town. Even some seats on the first freaking rows were empty ....
Old 01-03-2011   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
"Let them eat cake."

Now, how did the original story using that line end??????.....................
And they had cake ?
Old 01-03-2011   #8
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Houston Texans Marketing, Inc. is working overtime right now to get ready for the most important part of the year: season ticket renewals and sales.

Enjoy your "free gift", folks, because it's the highlight of every Texans season.
I cannot wait to read the letter and marketing materials they send me with the invoice for next season. "Dear Houstonhurricane, I know we stunk it up and kept our failing GM and coach, but don't worry, there is a decent chance that we won't end up starting 5-7 for the fifth year in a row because there will be certainly a lockout. Also, we have decided to raise ticket prices by 25% to keep up with the inflationary issues plauging the Asia markets. Please pay up immediately so Mr. McNair can pay Coach Kubiak and GM Smith their inflated salaries. Go Texans!"
Old 01-03-2011   #9
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob!!!! They didn't count my 18 month old baby. Unable to get a babysitter, we brought him along with us. Add him to the end totals!! We are #1 fans!!

:-/
Old 01-03-2011   #10
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
This is why Texans fans are weenies. Sorry, but I have very little respect for anyone that even showed up yesterday if you wanted Kubiak fired. The only way to have sent a message to Bob was to not show up as long as he continued his "We're on the right track on the Kubiak train" bull shit. If you are happy with Kubiak and are just happy to have football in Houston, fine go to the game. But if you actually wanted Kubiak gone, you were a fool to show up yesterday even if you did pay for the tickets.

What do we do? We set a freaking attendance record. I really am beginning to believe Houston fans are a joke. Makes me almost wish I wasn't born and raised here...

It wasn't actual attendance, but paid attendance that was that high. Virtually all of those tickets were sold months ago before the wheels fell off.
I was one of the people at the game (your lack of respect for my attendance not withstanding), and I can tell you that the actual crowd in no way came close to setting any kind of record.
BTW, yesterday's attendence will have zero effect on Kubiak's future, IMO. Zero.
I'm assuming that you're not a season ticket holder, otherwise you might take into account that some people have considerations that would make them attend the game. In my case, I have family that just wanted to go to the game. They don't have any reason to boycott for a coaching change.
I'm definately not going to deprive my six year old daughter of the experience just because I have a point to prove. She doesn't even know who Kubiak is yet...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

This...
Old 01-03-2011   #12
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
...Nowhere do I see yesterday's actual turnstile attendance which was pitiful...
Interesting you should mention that. We went to the game in Denver last weekend. They do an "attendance quiz" on the scoreboard towards the end of the game. Not a "paid attendance" BS quiz, but an actual "through the turnstile, butts-in-seats" quiz.

They put up 3 choices, yadda-yadda, then reveal the answer. You know how the reveal it? They say something like (lets assume 72,000 capacity):

"Today's game attendance is 66,347. That means that there were 5,653 NO SHOWS for today's game." This is followed by a chorus of boo's. Pretty awesome.
Old 01-03-2011   #13
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogkimmy View Post
It was PAID attendance, not ACTUAL attendance. That is why CND mentioned the turnstiles in his post .... The stadium was a ghost town. Even some seats on the first freaking rows were empty ....
Thanks for the clarification. I should have read it a bit closer. My bad.

I hardly watched the game yesterday. Anger has set in and if the rumors are true and Kubiak is staying, apathy may be all that remains.
Old 01-03-2011   #14
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The stadium was not a ghost town. Some empty seats on every level, but, definitely not almost empty!! Geeeezzzz!! The Bullpen was about full, even had our fair share of Jags fans, who were mighty quiet for a change.

What I did find quiet funny was the announcers tone of voice when he announced "and coach Gary Kubiak." It was so obvious he was displeased, I'm not sure he'll have a job next year IF GK comes back. The announcement was followed with all the boooooo's you Kubiak hater's love to hear. The team was not booooed, and a good reception during the announcement of ProBowl winners Vonta Leach and Arian Foster. AJ was on the sideline and they didn't mention him. That's one reason I try to leave the "politics" out of my love for the game. Watching those two boys get some much deserved attention just made me feel good. They deserved support from the fans, and that's they way it's suppose to be. They're not going to the playoffs, but, dammit, they are going to the pro-bowl and we should let them know we are proud of them.

Another PLUS for being at the game!! The fly over after the National Anthem sent chills all over me. Everyone around me was impressed, and a few even had tears in their eyes, myself included. A friend of mine, who sits behind me, and has a son in the Air Force, automatically put his hand over his heart! It was chilling to watch several guys grab their hats off their heads and place them over their hearts. How they timed that fly over so perfectly was simply amazing.

I don't go to the games to protest. I didn't do that when we were 2-14, and I wouldn't do it if we went 0-16. It does not mean I support what goes on in the FO, penthouse, or anyplace else where decisions are made that effect the politics of the game. Yesterday, I saw friends I will not see again until Aug or Sept. I visited with board members who travel to see their fav team. I watched kids getting their face painted, and pics taken. I enjoyed watching my grandchildren at the game and tailgate, having FUN! They could care less about all the talk about rally's and demonstrations, or where we fall in the friggin draft. I understand everyones frustration about coaching decisions, etc. BUT, for those of you who want to blast those that attended the game, remember, there's more to going to the games than being hard headed and staying at home just because a bunch of billionaires and millionaires don't do what I want them to do. Thinking about the positives helps take the edge off the negatives.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #15
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
The stadium was not a ghost town. Some empty seats on every level, but, definitely not almost empty!! Geeeezzzz!! The Bullpen was about full, even had our fair share of Jags fans, who were mighty quiet for a change.
It was empty, and quiet .... virtual ghost town during the 4th and we were winning. The bull pen is the same as the Red Rowdies - they will always be there whether anyone else is or not.

I agree with everything else you posted, my daughter served 4 years on the GW in Japan, the fly overs and national anthem always get me.
Old 01-03-2011   #16
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was empty, and quiet .... virtual ghost town during the 4th and we were winning. The bull pen is the same as the Red Rowdies - they will always be there whether anyone else is or not.

I agree with everything else you posted, my daughter served 4 years on the GW in Japan, the fly overs and national anthem always get me.
Yeah, it looked like it was really quite on TV.
Old 01-03-2011   #17
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yes, fans did leave during the forth, but, up until then, it wasn't that bad. Apathy played a huge roll in fans leaving during the 4th, but, what's new? They do that EVERY game, regardless of what's going on. I guess I was just a little surprised at the turnout. I expected a lot lower attendance and expected to hear a lot more negatives, boo's and that sort of thing.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 57661 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post

What I did find quiet funny was the announcers tone of voice when he announced "and coach Gary Kubiak." It was so obvious he was displeased, I'm not sure he'll have a job next year IF GK comes back. The announcement was followed with all the boooooo's you Kubiak hater's love to hear. The team was not booooed, and a good reception during the announcement of ProBowl winners Vonta Leach and Arian Foster. AJ was on the sideline and they didn't mention him. That's one reason I try to leave the "politics" out of my love for the game. Watching those two boys get some much deserved attention just made me feel good. They deserved support from the fans, and that's they way it's suppose to be. They're not going to the playoffs, but, dammit, they are going to the pro-bowl and we should let them know we are proud of them.

Another PLUS for being at the game!! The fly over after the National Anthem sent chills all over me. Everyone around me was impressed, and a few even had tears in their eyes, myself included. A friend of mine, who sits behind me, and has a son in the Air Force, automatically put his hand over his heart! It was chilling to watch several guys grab their hats off their heads and place them over their hearts. How they timed that fly over so perfectly was simply amazing.

I don't go to the games to protest. I didn't do that when we were 2-14, and I wouldn't do it if we went 0-16. It does not mean I support what goes on in the FO, penthouse, or anyplace else where decisions are made that effect the politics of the game. Yesterday, I saw friends I will not see again until Aug or Sept. I visited with board members who travel to see their fav team. I watched kids getting their face painted, and pics taken. I enjoyed watching my grandchildren at the game and tailgate, having FUN! They could care less about all the talk about rally's and demonstrations, or where we fall in the friggin draft. I understand everyones frustration about coaching decisions, etc. BUT, for those of you who want to blast those that attended the game, remember, there's more to going to the games than being hard headed and staying at home just because a bunch of billionaires and millionaires don't do what I want them to do. Thinking about the positives helps take the edge off the negatives.
BRAVO!!!

Must spread rep yadda yadda.

Despite the respect lost for me, like that means anything to anybody, which it doesn't, I was there too. And there were a LOT more people there than I expected. I've seen the building much, much more empty before. Yeah, folks cleared out in the 4th with the Texans leading, but so what? You jump their asses for leaving, you jump their asses for even being there, just freaking stop already.

Fans are NOT the reason this team is 9 years without playoffs. 90 consecutive sellouts are not the reason this team is 9 years without playoffs. It's bad enough to read through the drivel some of you have about coaches, players, schemes, owners, etc, but leave the fans out of it. They're not the ones who gave up a 72 yard drive in 45 seconds in New Jersey. They're not the ones who batted a Hail Mary into the hands of a receiver in Florida. They're not the ones who decided not to run the ball against Indy when that's how you owned them the 1st time. They're not the ones who couldn't make one single stop against Philadelphia after you got the lead.

So if you're going to jack up the fans for going to games, well, you've lost respect from me. There, do you see how stupid that sounds?

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

From the Chronicle:

Quote:
The Texans proudly announced the attendance for Sunday's Houston-Jacksonville game as a robust 71,023, blithely ignoring the visual evidence that maybe 30 percent of that number declined to show up for a team of also-rans playing out the string on a disappointing season.The seats that were filled, however, were occupied by the hard-core fans, season ticket holders and tailgaters who will return in 2011 to Reliant Stadium regardless of who coaches and who plays for the Texans as they seek their first playoff berth.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans proudly announced the attendance....
Sadly, attendance is the only thing that this franchise can be proud of...and beating the Cowboys on opening day, of course.

"Pride is a funny thing; it can make what is truly worthless appear to be a treasure."
~ Alice Hoffman

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read