Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-03-2011   #1
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3739 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected
Default With the 11th overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, the Houston Texans Select..

Had we lost to the Jaguars, we would have had the 6th pick. But hope winning that meaningless game and increasing our chance at keeping Koobs was worth it for you "true fans".

Anyway, I personally am hoping and praying that either Prince or Peterson fall to us. However, wouldn't surprise me if the tandem that is Rick Smith and Koobs would pass on them for another failure of a defensive lineman!

If we can't get either of those guys, and if Cream Puff Phillips does come in as DC, I wouldn't mind selecting a 3-4 pass rushing OLB, allowing Cush and DeMeco to stay in coverage more (which they are better at, anyway). Maybe a Von Miller, I know the aggie fans wouldnt mind that one.
Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #2
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: With the 11th overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, the Houston Texans Select..

I would really like Von Miller as I think he'll be productive from day one. I do not want a CB in the first at all as the DBs are already too young. The other reasonable option besides rush LB is NT so I would not be surprised if we grabbed Stephen Paea.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #3
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: With the 11th overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, the Houston Texans Select..

I'm not a draft guru, so I don't know players specifically. But I do know that if one of the two big WR's falls to us I'm hoping we pick him up.

Essentially I'm looking for us to use 2-3 picks on offense (WR and OL, maybe a 3rd on another OL) and 4-5 picks on defense. The rounds in which they are picked do not matter to me so long as they are BPA.

This, however, is conditional on us being aggressive in FA. If we don't do that then this "only defense" problem McNair may use to keep Kubiak will not be fixed.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #4
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105596 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

If we go 3-4, Dareus or Von Miller are the only picks to make.

And no way does Dareus fall past the Cowboys
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #5
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3739 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans would be stupid to pass on Peterson/Prince if they fell to us.

Paea needs to fatten up a bit but his strength is unbelievable. Don't think we will reach for him in the 1st round, he may be available in the 2nd though.
Old 01-03-2011   #6
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

It's very clear that our top pick probably will be either a defensive back or a DLineman, but that's conditional upon whether or not we continue with the 4-3 alignment or move to a 3-4 in the event that a 3-4 defensive coach like
Wade Phillips takes over the D. And if that happens look for the Texans to trade Mario to add picks to what they already have to draft a NT, 3-4 edge rusher (OLB), and one or more DBacks to staff their new 3-4.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #7
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft Forum

Try it, you'll like it.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2011   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 11th overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, the Houston Texans Select..

Another 1st round bust if they don't bring in someone that knows how to draft players.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #9
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
It's very clear that our top pick probably will be either a defensive back or a DLineman, but that's conditional upon whether or not we continue with the 4-3 alignment or move to a 3-4 in the event that a 3-4 defensive coach like
Wade Phillips takes over the D. And if that happens look for the Texans to trade Mario to add picks to what they already have to draft a NT, 3-4 edge rusher (OLB), and one or more DBacks to staff their new 3-4.
Why trade Mario if you go to a 3-4? He perfectly fits size/strength for a 3-4 end.
Old 01-03-2011   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Prince Amukara looks severely overrated to me. No way he's remotely close to Top 10. Patrick Peterson and AJ Green unfortunately will be far out of reach for us.

My early favorites at this point (in no particular order):

- WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St.
- OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
- DT/NT Stephen Paea, Oregon St.
- DT/NT Nick Fairley, Auburn

Right now, I don't like any of the secondary prospects at #11 outside of Peterson. Prince does nothing for me to warrant this early, Jenkins/Harris don't excite me either. Gotta fill secondary with veteran FAs. CB Champ Bailey would be a HUGE addition. Need a FS to battle starting role with Troy Nolan. Veteran would be good as well as a S with ballskills from the draft for FS/SS.

I think with the 11th overall pick, we're looking at a Front 7 guy on defense or Blackmon (I like him better than Julio Jones).
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #11
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Either Justin Blackmon at WR or Brandon Harris at CB (Harris only if we trade down).
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #12
Yesterday
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Prince Amukara looks severely overrated to me. No way he's remotely close to Top 10. .
Disagree. You may think he's overrated b/c he doesn't make many big plays, INTs, etc. But that is because no one EVER passes to his guy. He shuts him down. He pretty much takes a very good WR out of the game.
Old 01-03-2011   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we get another TE?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #14
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Prince Amukara looks severely overrated to me. No way he's remotely close to Top 10. Patrick Peterson and AJ Green unfortunately will be far out of reach for us.

My early favorites at this point (in no particular order):

- WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St.
- OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
- DT/NT Stephen Paea, Oregon St.
- DT/NT Nick Fairley, Auburn

Right now, I don't like any of the secondary prospects at #11 outside of Peterson. Prince does nothing for me to warrant this early, Jenkins/Harris don't excite me either. Gotta fill secondary with veteran FAs. CB Champ Bailey would be a HUGE addition. Need a FS to battle starting role with Troy Nolan. Veteran would be good as well as a S with ballskills from the draft for FS/SS.

I think with the 11th overall pick, we're looking at a Front 7 guy on defense or Blackmon (I like him better than Julio Jones).
Agreed. Other CB's who might be available are Jonathan Joseph and Terrance Newman.

You pretty much have to pick up one of these guys to be your number one.
Old 01-03-2011   #15
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Can we get another TE?

We have 4 options...

1. BPA from the Aggies
2. BPA from Colorado St.
3. TE preferably from Wisconsin
4. Trade the pick for a player on the Broncos
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
We have 4 options...

1. BPA from the Aggies
2. BPA from Colorado St.
3. TE preferably from Wisconsin
4. Trade the pick for a player on the Broncos
Has Kubiak ever draft an Aggie? I can't recall any, just a couple Longhorns.
Old 01-03-2011   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterday View Post
Disagree. You may think he's overrated b/c he doesn't make many big plays, INTs, etc. But that is because no one EVER passes to his guy. He shuts him down. He pretty much takes a very good WR out of the game.

Didn't Blackmon beat him up pretty badly? And I don't recall him looking special against Wash. in the bowl game.
Old 01-03-2011   #18
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Has Kubiak ever draft an Aggie? I can't recall any, just a couple Longhorns.
we signed our old punter as udfa but can't recall us ever drafting an a&m player under this regime.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #19
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
we signed our old punter as udfa but can't recall us ever drafting an a&m player under this regime.
Yeah I remember him. He was only in training camp for 5 days. Kind of sad considering his production in college.
Old 01-03-2011   #20
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I will base my offseason off us being a 3-4 team, because it seems quite clear we will move to such a scheme with the types of candidates people are throwing around.

Free Agency
i would sign Champ Bailey and use him as a safety so that he can be on the field for leadership and quality and also still be able to teach our young corners and play at CB. Also if you believe the rumours pollard will no longer be with us next year.

I would also try to sign a WR, we all know that walter and jacoby are good but they're to inconsistent if we can get a 2nd threat alongside AJ our offence will be the best in the league. period!

If they did this in FA i would be extremely happy.

DRAFT
There are a couple of ways we can go in the draft.

firstly trade down 4-5 spots and pick up another 2nd rounder.
and with the pick around 15-16 the Houston texans pick ..... Von Miller.

By going to the 3-4 defence we get an extremely fast quick and dominate pass rusher.

Now we have 3 legitimate (legitimate i mean by starting or better nfl standard) 3-4 OLB in barwin cushing and von miller.

In the 2nd round we pick up Deunta Williams OR Rahim Moore at FS this gives us depth at Safety with bailey and he can also help them out.

With our 2nd pick in the 2nd round we select jerrell powe from ole miss, 6.2ft 320 pounds.
Now we have the best NT in the draft and we have a big man who can dominate the line alongside williams and smith or whoever the new DC goes with.

Now if pollard goes in the 3rd round we pick another safety.
if he doesnt i say we start picking the best players available at O-line, 3-4 DE/OLB and ILB and finally punter in the 7th round.

If we dont sign a WR in FA i think one of the options for us is to trade down in the draft to around 20-25 and pick up Michael Flloyd from Notre Dame.
He is probably just as good as AJ green (green will on in the top 5) but because of injury troubles will go late in the draft.

and then the rest of the draft is as stated above.

DE/OLB in this draft is very deep and many can be found later. thats why i think picking flloyd in the 1st is not totally a bad idea even though we have massive problems on D.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read