Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2011   #1
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jacoby Jones

Is it me or is Jacoby Jones just not that good? I want to like the guy but watching him on the field...he is cocky and afraid of contact...he catches the ball fine as long as he is open and standing still. If he is on the move with any defense within 5 feet of him he avoids the contact and beats up the ball. He dances to much and still tries that same herky jerky Lane college elementary move. Those moves might have worked at Lane college but it's not working in the NFL. Some please convince me that this guy is a keeper.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Jacoby Jones

Not everyone can be Andre Johnson. Teams need guys that can play the #2 or #3 WR spot.
Old 01-03-2011   #3
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
Is it me or is Jacoby Jones just not that good? I want to like the guy but watching him on the field...he is cocky and afraid of contact...he catches the ball fine as long as he is open and standing still. If he is on the move with any defense within 5 feet of him he avoids the contact and beats up the ball. He dances to much and still tries that same herky jerky Lane college elementary move. Those moves might have worked at Lane college but it's not working in the NFL. Some please convince me that this guy is a keeper.
I was commenting on this during the last game. Considering his speed and agility, he really should have better YAC in my opinion. He should be a guy that can take a slant and turn it into a 50+ yard TD.
I think part of the problem lies with JJ, but some of it falls on Schaub's inability to hit guys in stride where they can catch the ball and keep running without having to slow down, or stop, to catch the ball.

OT, I was surprised and happy to see Schaub overthrow a vertical route during the game yesterday.
Not that I want him to overthrow TDs like he did to Walter (I think) in the end zone... I just thought he was incapable of overthrowing any type of vertical route. He usually makes the receiver wait for the ball on those routes.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #4
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3740 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

He is bad. Isn't reliable to catch the ball, not good route runner.

We seriously need a #2 WR as Kevin Walter was god awful this year as well.
Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #5
MFG16
Veteran

Rep Power: 301 MFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Have you ever seen the Colts play? that entire offense avoids contact. the only problem I have with Jacoby is his consistency. He will have a game where he does nothing and plays horrible, then have a game where he has 7 catches for 96 yards and a TD. He just needs to be more consistent, better coaching would help.
MFG16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #6
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG16 View Post
Have you ever seen the Colts play? that entire offense avoids contact. the only problem I have with Jacoby is his consistency. He will have a game where he does nothing and plays horrible, then have a game where he has 7 catches for 96 yards and a TD. He just needs to be more consistent, better coaching would help.
I don't think it is coaching. Jacoby just doesn't have very good hands. I think we need to decide if Dickerson is ready to step up, and if he isn't then we should draft of sign another WR.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #7
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

He's brilliant for one game a season and our stupid coach and GM say "I like the potential this kid has." and then we watch the kid stink it up for another year.

Let him walk or sign him as a KR/PR. He's got lobster claws in the passing game.
Old 01-03-2011   #8
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37160 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Jacoby thriving in a system where he's a legitimate second
or third option. I would mind seeing him go to a place like
St. Louis to play alongside Donnie Avery, and with a real QB
like Sam Bradford.

Just like Dunta Robinson, you don't know how good a player is
until they get away from this coaching staff.
Old 01-03-2011   #9
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Jacoby has played well enough these past few games to warrant another team to over pay him. For some reason, i have a feeling Washington will be that team.

He's a good player with potential to be a great #2 receiver, but there are two things that bother me about him.

1) He has terrible hands. He prefers to catch everything with his chest, instead of his hands. This will cause a lot of drops.
2) Like the original poster said, he's afraid to take a hit. This is where guys like Walter and Andersen excel. Whenever Jacoby feels like he's going to get popped, he doesn't make a great effort for the ball and just seems to get ready for the hit.

If he can fix those two, he could be a great complement to another receiver.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ doesnt have great hands, but he catchs the ball well deep. He has a little play maker in him, but I would have him as a 3rd option. We need a slot who can take DA's spot and be a threat. I am very disappointed that Dickerson didn't get more reps yesterday.
Old 01-03-2011   #11
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
like Sam Bradford.

He pretty much was the second option behind AJ this season as we did not have a OD until the near end of the season. He is essentially Corey Bradford Jr.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
like Sam Bradford.

If he was a defensive player I'd agree with you, but we know exactly who Jacoby Jones is.

We don't have a coaching/player development problem on offense, we have a play calling problem, but as far as developing players...there isn't a problem on the offense. That is actually the one side of the ball where players get better and stay good and not regress the very next year.

Jacoby Jones just isn't that good, he's a big tease and he has the same size hands as my 7 yo nephew. It's time to move on from him as well...we need a real #2 WR who's consistent from a week to week basis.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
JJ doesnt have great hands, but he catchs the ball well deep. He has a little play maker in him, but I would have him as a 3rd option. We need a slot who can take DA's spot and be a threat. I am very disappointed that Dickerson didn't get more reps yesterday.
I saw him get several reps yesterday. He just wasn't targeted by Schaub. Either he wasn't getting separation or Schaub just doesn't trust him yet. Schaub did the same thing to Casey last season when OD went down. Casey would be wide open a lot, but Schaub would target someone else.
Old 01-03-2011   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Does it really matter anymore? He's a free agent now, and next year he'll probably be either a Titan, a Colt, or a Jaguar.

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
He's brilliant for one game a season and our stupid coach and GM say "I like the potential this kid has." and then we watch the kid stink it up for another year.

Let him walk or sign him as a KR/PR. He's got lobster claws in the passing game.
Exactly! His on field production is just like this teams. He needs to go Long with Gary
Old 01-03-2011   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby Jones?

Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #17
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Does it really matter anymore? He's a free agent now, and next year he'll probably be either a Titan, a Colt, or a Jaguar.

1000 yards as a Patriot
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #18
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Congrats to Dunta for breaking his 34 game interceptionless streak yesterday!
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #19
macho grande
Veteran

Section: thin air up here
Rep Power: 2875 macho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Congrats to Dunta for breaking his 34 game interceptionless streak yesterday!
And his division titleless one too. Congrats Dunta!
macho grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173004 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh...see ya later Jacoby. Take your Momma w you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read