Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2011   #1
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Owen Daniels

How great is it to have him back?

He makes this offense so much more dangerous.

What do you think it will take to lock him up long term?
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Owen Daniels

Probably alot less then pre-injury OD.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

OD is so-so for making the club next year. Dreesen has proven himself. How much do we want to pay a TE that is great when healthy but missed 8 games last year and 5 this year? I'm a HUGE OD fan, but I'm a bigger fan of staying out of salary cap hell. Any contracts we sign will be applicable to a salary cap if a collective bargaining agreement is signed.
Old 01-02-2011   #4
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
OD is so-so for making the club next year. Dreesen has proven himself. How much do we want to pay a TE that is great when healthy but missed 8 games last year and 5 this year? I'm a HUGE OD fan, but I'm a bigger fan of staying out of salary cap hell. Any contracts we sign will be applicable to a salary cap if a collective bargaining agreement is signed.
Dreesen has proved to be serviceable but OD is Pro-Bowl caliber. If we don't lock him up I will be extremely pissed, salary cap or not.
Old 01-02-2011   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I would prefer we re-sign Daniels. I do not care for Dreeson. He's good for a couple of truly epic screw ups a year.
Old 01-02-2011   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post

I am not sure if he'll be back to be honest but I hope so.
Old 01-02-2011   #7
checo446
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 checo446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to checo446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Dreesen has proved to be serviceable but OD is Pro-Bowl caliber. If we don't lock him up I will be extremely pissed, salary cap or not.
Ditto... I think we need to retain both. Gives us some awesome options with two TE sets. Dreesen might be serviceable, but he doesn't have the same ability as a receiving threat that OD brings. With OD finally healthy, he simply makes everyone better on the field as he seems to always find the openings on the field...
checo446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2011   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173004 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

We have options which do NOT include throwing max money his way. He is just not "there" yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #9
BullsOnParade
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 283 BullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to have OD back next year. He makes Schaub that much better. I'd honestly would rather sign OD than Pollard. But we have to unload some of our TE's. If we draft another tight end, I might start to root for another team.
BullsOnParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #10
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i think all our money should be spent on D
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #11
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I say we either franchise him (if possible) or test the market to see what we can get for him (if possible).

Not exactly sure on where we stand with him right now, I just know I do not want to break the bank on his glass knees.

Confidence in Dreesen is growing with every play I see him in.
Old 01-02-2011   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Both sides respect each other so the Texans will extend Owen a fair package he gladly accepts. He is simply too valueable to this offense to ignore, even with his extensive injury history, a deal gets done

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #13
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You do realize he's had THREE knee surgeries between both of his knees in his career right? One more and he's toast.

I say offer him a modest contract that a TE with major knee issues is worth and if he takes it, great. If not, send him packing and let him be another teams possible injury prone problem.

Dont get me wrong, he's a hell of a TE but the knees are just too much for to look past.
Old 01-02-2011   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I have little confidence in Smith locking anyone up long term.

The players are always too greedy and impossible to negotiate with.

I'm sure he will keep players that can't leave though. He's tough.
Old 01-02-2011   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I say we either franchise him (if possible)

Confidence in Dreesen is growing with every play I see him in.
I think it's very possible, even likely. And fair, considering Owen did not play a full season.

Regarding Dreessen, he will never be more than a stopgap at TE. He will never be what Daniels was or could be again. Which is why Daniels must be retained, now that we know the offensive system will remain intact.
Old 01-02-2011   #16
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think it's very possible, even likely. And fair, considering Owen did not play a full season.

Regarding Dreessen, he will never be more than a stopgap at TE. He will never be what Daniels was or could be again. Which is why Daniels must be retained, now that we know the offensive system will remain intact.
There is no comparison between Dreesen and OD as far as blocking goes though. I think its no coincedence (sp) that our running game has been so good now that we have a 6th O-lineman over there.

I would like both but I dont want to pay him top money to do it.
Old 01-02-2011   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I would prefer we re-sign Daniels. I do not care for Dreeson. He's good for a couple of truly epic screw ups a year.
I was speaking on behalf of the bean counters. I absolutely love what OD brings to the team. That doesn't mean the bean counters do.
Old 01-02-2011   #18
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we should pay for OD. Dreessen is more than serviceable in my opinion, I just don't think we use him properly. Tight ends are easy to come by in this league. Look at how many teams have a very good or great TE. Gates, Davis, Clark, Cooley, Celek, Winslow, Witten, Gonzalez, Keller, Lewis, Zach Miller, and those new guys on KC, NE, and DET. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. We've got Dreessen, Casey, and who knows what we have in Graham. Let OD go. He was great, but being a great TE is simply not that special these days.
Old 01-02-2011   #19
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
I don't think we should pay for OD. Dreessen is more than serviceable in my opinion, I just don't think we use him properly. Tight ends are easy to come by in this league. Look at how many teams have a very good or great TE. Gates, Davis, Clark, Cooley, Celek, Winslow, Witten, Gonzalez, Keller, Lewis, Zach Miller, and those new guys on KC, NE, and DET. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. We've got Dreessen, Casey, and who knows what we have in Graham. Let OD go. He was great, but being a great TE is simply not that special these days.
This.
Old 01-03-2011   #20
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He appears to be back because after he was getting popped he jumps up smiling and liking the contact. Tough guy OD.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read