Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-02-2011   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Well, now Favre will have more time for sexting.

Remember when he led the Vikings (in the locker room) to the singing of the song "Pants On The Ground!" way back when?

How ironic is THAT?!?!? LOL!

Just know thought of that.
Old 01-02-2011   #2
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bret Favre Retires From Football

Bret Farve has retired from football. To quote Yogi Berra, it's deja vu all over again.

Surely he will not un-retire again this summer. Will he?

From ESPN:

Quote:
Brett Favre says he's retiring

Brett Favre was the NFL's ultimate iron man for 19 years, inspiring coaches and teammates with unparalleled toughness and thrilling fans with a daredevil's verve and a showman's sense of the moment.

Yet the once-irrepressible Favre never looked older or more fragile than in year No. 20. The magic of last season, and most of his brilliant career, never seemed farther away.

It had to end some time. And Favre says that time is now.

The 41-year-old quarterback sat out Minnesota's season-ending loss to the Lions on Sunday with a concussion, and it appears that perhaps the toughest man to ever play in the NFL had his career end not on the field trying to rally the Vikings to another victory, but on the bench as a third-string rookie floundered in Favre's place.

No one -- not even Brett Favre -- can play forever.

"I know it's time, and that's OK. It is," Favre said after the 20-13 defeat. "Again, I hold no regrets, and I can't think of too many players offhand that can walk away and say that. Individually and from a team standpoint, it was way more than I ever dreamed of."

He also retired in 2008 with the Green Bay Packers and 2009 with the New York Jets, only to return to the field both times when the football bug bit him in the summer. He knows that there will be doubters again.

MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Re: Bret Farve Retires From Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

again? say it ain't so

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #5
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19489 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

I was driving much of today, and listening to ESPN radio for about 1.5 hours, until I came in range of a station carrying the Houston game. It was pretty funny to hear the reports over and over as they mentioned that Favre had announced his retirement - every person added a sarcastic "again" on to the report (I think there were 3 different people who said it, though it got repeated 20 times...). It was pretty funny, though I guess the humor isn't coming across in typing it out.

In all seriousness, I think this is probably the end for Favre, for several reasons:
  • He no longer has the consecutive start streak to try to pad, which will diminish his own desire to continue.
  • This season he didn't perform very well, and I think he might even realize that he can't play as well as he used to. Coming back would likely only hurt his reputation, at this point.
  • Given that his skills have deteriorated, I don't think any teams are going to put up with the Favre drama for someone who's not going to bring a lot of wins, and won't be with the team long-term.
  • The Jenn Sterger thing hurt him more than just the fine, I think. I think it's cut out a fair bit of what goodwill he had remaining for average fans, which is going to hurt his marketability position. That will prevent any team worried more about marketing than winning from going after him, either.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #6
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good. **** him. Barricade his ass in his Mississippi compound. Take away all his communications. Let him wither away.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #7
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2011   #8
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bret Favre Retires From Football

He will be back has a Backup QB

i wouldnt mind dropping Dano or lineart and getting Brett farve to da texans !!!!!!!!!!! to backup Matt

because if matt goes down next year :knocks on wood our season is pretty much over
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 124145 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we get a "...no, no REALLY" added to the title? Kinda hard to keep track of.

I think this is really it. Never thought it before. He finally looks defeated. Reality has won and finally opened his eyes. He can NOT play forever at a high level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #10
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I think this is really it.

Signed, 2010, 2009, and 2008.

Quote:
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
Old 01-03-2011   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57403 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Signed, 2010, 2009, and 2008.
I believe him.

In fact Favre just pictured texted me a pic of his junk with a text saying "This is it."

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #12
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
He will be back has a Backup QB

i wouldnt mind dropping Dano or lineart and getting Brett farve to da texans !!!!!!!!!!! to backup Matt

because if matt goes down next year :knocks on wood our season is pretty much over
That won't ever happen. Brett Favre will never be a backup QB. It'll hurt his reputation.

ETA: Just reread my post and LOL'd...PSHHHH, I know what you're thinking!! What reputation?!

But seriously, he won't ever settle to be a back-up QB.
Old 01-03-2011   #13
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Can we get a "...no, no REALLY" added to the title? Kinda hard to keep track of.

LOL. On another board I'm at, I edit and merge all the Favre-related topics to "The (insert year here) Brett Favre Saga"

Keeps down on the clutter, and efficient for archiving purposes, lmao.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #14
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

I will believe it when I see it.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger1 View Post
I will believe it when I see it.
Give him your cell phone number and he will let you "see it."
Old 01-03-2011   #16
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
speaking of vienna sausages, my dog loves those shits.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #17
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Good one.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2011   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I've spent a lot of time being critical of Favre for his waffling and late decisions to play every year but now that we're all pretty much certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's not coming back I can't help but think....

Now would be the perfect time for him to come back ONE MORE TIME!

I saw that segment on nfl.com with the Shame Report and Favre standing in front of a 49ers wall and thought "Now THAT would be funny enough to make one more year of this attention whore worth it"
Old 01-05-2011   #19
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Well, now Favre will have more time for sexting.

If there's a lockout this fall and the league is looking for players or union members to cross the pickett line, I'm sure Farve wouldn't break his union vows and cross the line to play a few pickup games this Fall, right ? Right !!!!
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Now that we know his "love of the game" doesnt mean football per se, but the athletes lifestyle and pursuit of the women around the game as well (reporters, masseuses, etc) I wouldn't be shocked to see him come back.

I wouldn't want to retire to home life either if I had just been outed as doing some of the absurd things he has been accused of. He's liable to get a golf club (or maybe cleats?) through his truck before all this is finished.

Maybe he should take up golf..

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read