Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ:The book on Wade Phillips

Quote:
With all the scuttlebutt Texans fans have been hearing about Wade Phillips over the past few days, it's probably a good idea to re-visit his bio and history as a defensive coordinator.

Phillips is a fairly known commodity but since he has such a long coaching resume (coached for eight NFL teams) it's worth going back to see what you might have forgotten about Bum's son as defensive coordinator (DC).

Wade's first gig as a DC was at New Orleans from 1981-85. He had followed Bum over there after Bud Adams unceremoniously fired Bum 30 years ago today after a playoff loss to the Chargers. Wade was Bum's defensive line coach during the Love Ya Blue era in Houston and was caught in the crossfire.

Old Oilers fans remember exactly where they were when Bum was fired. I was a young man of 22, filling up my 1978 Z28 Camaro at a gas station along the feeder near Almeda Mall - on my way to a job at Victoria Machine Works in Victoria, TX. It was very cold outside. That day changed my attitude toward Bud Adams forever.

During Wade's five years as DC in New Orleans, the Saints had top-five defenses (yards allowed) three times, but the Saints did not have a winning season during that period. Wade was running his Dad's 3-4 which was pretty stout during the late 70's.

After exiting New Orleans, Wade landed in Philadelphia in 1986 as the Eagles DC under Buddy Ryan. He spent three seasons coordinating Ryan's 46 defense in Philly, earning one playoff appearance in 1988. Phillips was replaced as Eagles DC by Jeff Fisher in 1989.
Quote:
Given Phillips' record, it's clear that he's had proven success as a DC which is something the Texans have lacked since the team was introduced. He's a 3-4 guy by pedigree but has experience running hybrid schemes which might be necessary if he's hired by the Texans given their defensive personnel.

The move, if it's made by the Texans, isn't the worst thing that could happen but it certainly has a temporary, band-aid feel to it.
http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...-wade-phillips
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:The book on Wade Phillips

So why would he take this job? I don't think the book is closed on his head coaching career in the NFL, why would he take a demotion to go defensive coordinate for a sinking ship like us? This Wade Phillips rumor has never made any sense to me.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #3
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 31037 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
So why would he take this job? I don't think the book is closed on his head coaching career in the NFL, why would he take a demotion to go defensive coordinate for a sinking ship like us? This Wade Phillips rumor has never made any sense to me.
He is done as a head coach. Even Dom Capers didn't get this many bites at head coaching positions. Time for Wade to follow Dom into the world of failed coaches who are excellent coordinators.

And news from 2040 today:

Old Texans fans remember exactly where they were when Kubiak wasn't fired. I was a old fart, waiting to be called back for my colonscopy. It was very humid outside. That day changed my attitude toward Bottom Line Bob (BLB) McNair forever.
Fred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
He is done as a head coach. Even Dom Capers didn't get this many bites at head coaching positions. Time for Wade to follow Dom into the world of failed coaches who are excellent coordinators.

And news from 2040 today:

Old Texans fans remember exactly where they were when Kubiak wasn't fired. I was a old fart, waiting to be called back for my colonscopy. It was very humid outside. That day changed my attitude toward Bottom Line Bob (BLB) McNair forever.
If Chan Gailey could get a head coaching job, then Wade Phillips, with playoffs and multiple 10+ win seasons under his belt at his last stop, could get a head coaching job.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Maybe he is tired of the HC gig and wants to focus on what he's good at. I'll answer your question with my own question. Why would any HC want to come to Houston? Why would Cowher want to come here? The answer is we've got a terrific Offense and players in place. The Defense just needs some resurrecting and we'd be an awesome team.

So if a guy who has had historical success as a DC, the Defense is his bread and butter, why NOT go to Houston? Add the Texans to his resume of a Defense that should be fairly easy to improve? We're last in the league in yards and like 27th in ppg. A Defensive 'guru' asked to just focus on Defense rather than run the whole show could be pretty appealling if that guy just had a poor HC year and got fired. He's said he still wants to coach and will probably be perfectly happy taking a DC role instead of HC. I think it makes great sense for him. GREAT opportunity.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing hiring Wade Phillips does is tell me who will get the "Interim Head Coach" job next year when Gary's kids belly flop into the kiddie pool one more time.
Old 12-31-2010   #7
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The only thing hiring Wade Phillips does is tell me who will get the "Interim Head Coach" job next year when Gary's kids belly flop into the kiddie pool one more time.
Meanwhile Cowher and Gruden will have gotten a years head start in turning their teams around while we hit the reset button.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2010   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Meanwhile Cowher and Gruden will have gotten a years head start in turning their teams around while we hit the reset button.
Exactamundo!
Old 12-31-2010   #9
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd LOVE to see him run the 46 here. But that would actually require decent defensive backs, which we're still lacking. FML.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

we need safeties

McCrea was probably and arguably the best safety that the Texans have ever had
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #11
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is done as a head coach.
Why is he done as a head coach? He was 33-15 in Dallas with 2 playoff appearances in 3 years prior to this season. He was 29-19 in Buffalo with 2 playoff appearances in 3 seasons. The last time the Bills have been in the playoffs with only one winning record since Wade left in 2000. He's had a top 10 defense in 6 of the 9 seasons he's been the head coach. How you think he's done based on that doesn't make much sense.

I also don't know why he'd take a demotion to DC here but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

What I'd want to know if he signs on with the Texans as their DC is he gonna have a big say-so in who we draft on the defensive side of the ball ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #13
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Why is he done as a head coach?
He'll be 64 years old in June and was fired after a 1-7 start with a team that had expected to make a Super Bowl run.

He's had his last HC job.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #14
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
What I'd want to know if he signs on with the Texans as their DC is he gonna have a big say-so in who we draft on the defensive side of the ball ?
I've been asking myself the same question.

If this is going to work, then they need to let Wade "shop for the groceries." That goes for FA's too.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #15
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I've been asking myself the same question.

If this is going to work, then they need to let Wade "shop for the groceries." That goes for FA's too.
I think he will be given total control over the Defense, scheme and personnel. The organization doesn't have much choice, as they have shown they have no clue when it comes to the defensive side of the football.
Old 01-01-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
I'd LOVE to see him run the 46 here. But that would actually require decent defensive backs, which we're still lacking. FML.
Pollard should be used as the 46..... Then we need to move an athlete back to free safety... Quinn.... Allen...... maybe even McCain..
Old 01-01-2011   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is done as a head coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I think SonofaBum has one more interim head coach gig in his future.
Old 01-01-2011   #18
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He'll be 64 years old in June and was fired after a 1-7 start with a team that had expected to make a Super Bowl run.

cowboys fans are always delusional. they think they're a super bowl worthy team EVERY year. fact is, Romo is just not that good, regardless of what his stats show. their defense is old and their offensive line is porous. Wade had less to work with there than the Texans have.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #19
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, that lends to another question, "Why would he want to coach at all next year?"

If I'm 64 and just made the bank roll he probably got from Jerry Jones, I think I'd kick back and relax. Possibly move down to Goliad to be close to the family and enjoy my dad's last years.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Possibly move down to Goliad to be close to the family and enjoy my dad's last years.
His dad probably would get no greater joy than having his son coach in Houston, again. It's a feel good story. I just don't know if the results will feel good.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read