Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What will be your source of optimism?
Wade Phillips 9 15.00%
Top 5 draft pick 6 10.00%
Big Free Agent signing 10 16.67%
The maturation of the team 0 0%
Kubiak and Smith are back, No way to be optimistic 23 38.33%
Other 12 20.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2010   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What scenario would make you have a positive outlook on next season?

During this time, there is not a whole lot of positive things going on with the team.

Of course, that probably depends on your perspective.

With the heavy rumors that Kubiak will be returning with a new D-coordinator (Maybe Wade Phillips), there is not a whole lot of change that we can see and most assuredly say, "the future is looking brighter"...

As a fan, I think that you have to find something positive going into any season. It's just the nature of rooting for a team.

This isn't a fire Kubiak thread. I'm going to assume he is staying since that is what all the info we have been hearing is leading to. So that said, what change (because SOMETHING has to change...right?) would breed optimism within you as an individual?

An established D-coordinator? A top 5 draft pick? A big FA signing?

What are you looking forward to happening?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What scenario would make you have a positive outlook on next season?

I'm looking forward to Phillips coming in as DC and bringing in a new Secondary coach. I'm looking forward to having a decent draft pick with this defensive heavy draft and I'm also looking forward to making a splash or two in free agency.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #3
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84
Default Re: What scenario would make you have a positive outlook on next season?

I voted other because if Kubiak stays, Smith has to go. One of those 2 have to hit the pavement. Bringing Wade in would help the defense no doubt. However, I don't trust Smith making personnel decisions.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not terribly excited about Wade Phillips coming in. I do think he will be better than Frank Bush...I think that's a given.

I'm just worried about how he'll mesh with Kubiak. What will be the dynamic of their relationship...If Kubiak isn't making the decision on who his D-coordinator will be, how will that affect his psyche?

And honestly, I'm not even sure that Frank Bush gets completely canned...

The thing I am most excited about is a potential top 5 pick. If we don't get a top five pick and have a shot at one of the elite prospects I am going to be really dissapointed.

No the Texans aren't great at the draft, but having a top 5 pick greatly raises the odds that they would get a good player that could instantly come in and make an impact.

Akumura or Peterson are the two guys that I am really hoping for. Either one would make me extremely optimistic heading into next season.

I guess second would have to be Free agency. I hope they can get some good players in here...even if they have to over pay for them...

If they could get these things done I would be excited for next season...Even with Kubiak at the reigns...
Old 12-31-2010   #5
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

My scenario ...

Bob McNair realizes that he doesn't know how to run a NFL team and decides to cash out and sells to the team. The new owners are Bob Kraft types that are smart football people.

They come in and get rid of all the proven losers, Kubiak first of course. They bring in their own personel and make it clear that they are not in the business of making friends, they are in the business of winning. They also make it clear that the win and loss column will be the only barometer they will use to measure progress and success. Anyone not on board with this is shown the door.

They then apologize to the fan base for the horrible product and reduce ticket prices. They then guarantee not to raise them again until the product on the field improves and worth the price of the ticket. They define product improvement as the team qualifying for the playoffs.

With the above scenario I would have a positive outlook.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #6
MFG16
Veteran

Rep Power: 301 MFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was torn between a top 5 draft pick and a key free agent signing. I voted FA, but it would have to be multiple players on the defensive side of the ball instead of just one big name. A combo of something like Ratliff, Woodley, and Bailey would make me very excited for next season. Like ive said before McNair better be serious about making "drastic" changes to the defense, and this includes acquiring players like I mentioned above. If we go out and attack FA like we have in the past will end up with one okay player and thats it. If that happens itll be a long year next year.
MFG16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted other.

I believe that its a culmination of things that need to be solved going forward.

First - And probably most important is some talent on the back end of the defense - particularly at the FS spot as well as a veteran presence at CB even if that guy doesnt start. Along with this is the issue of getting beaten in the soft spots between the zones - its happened all year.

Second - Is a change in the way the Texans expect their DT's to perform. Rather than penetrating (or attempting to) they need their DT to push the pocket to keep the DE's from being washed by the back side as well as allowing the QB to step up into a clean pocket. Their DE's have been largely ineffective because they get washed behind the play so often . This would solve a whole lot of their defensive problems.
This second issue may be personel and as well as a scheme issue , its difficult to make a decision when the players are asked to perform within the current scheme. Hard to say if the current DT's could push the pocket.

Third - Find some consistency on offense. They can put up yards and points in a hurry .... they just dont do it with consistency until the situation becomes dire.

Fourth - Their special teams need to improve to the level we have come to expect. Marciano is one of the best in the business but he's been handcuffed with some injury issues and .... Damn can anyone be a worse KR than Slaton ?!

Fifth - They need to find a way to create / force more turnovers. I think this problem solves itself if they fix point #2. More pressure on a QB with less of a pocket to step into will force more mistakes.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2010   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade's all I got.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #9
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Where is the "Hire Bill Cowher as HC, Wade Phillips as DC, and a Big Free Agent Signing (specifically on defense)" option?
Old 01-01-2011   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 385172 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

If Rick Smith is still around -- meaning we still don't have a GM -- there's precious little to get all positive about.

inĚsanĚiĚty noun \in-ˈsa-nə-tē\: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #11
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Multiple big free agent signings on the defensive side is the only thing would make me have a positive outlook on next season. I don't trust the current gm to do a great job of drafting. We'll probably take a good defensive player with our first pick, but we'll need to get at least 2 or 3 impact players out of this draft. But mainly, we have to get some good veteran players on our defense.
Old 01-01-2011   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

From the options given, I chose 'Big free agent signing' assuming it is on the defense. The draft may also make me more optomistic once I see how they draft. A lot of that optomism will also rise or fall based on the number of Tight Ends and Colorado State players they draft.

The thing that would make me most optomistic would be the CBA negotiations concluding and seeing a reasonable CBA put into place. As much as I don't think the Texans will be contenders next year given what we think we know, I would much rather see them go 5-11 in 2011, than see them not play at all. At the very least, I can root for the Browns to do well
Old 01-01-2011   #13
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Where is the "Hire Bill Cowher as HC, Wade Phillips as DC, and a Big Free Agent Signing (specifically on defense)" option?
This. Along with a top five draft pick (and Cowher drafts well). Shiiiiit. Please let this happen.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
My scenario ...

Bob McNair realizes that he doesn't know how to run a NFL team and decides to cash out and sells to the team. The new owners are Bob Kraft types that are smart football people.

They come in and get rid of all the proven losers, Kubiak first of course. They bring in their own personel and make it clear that they are not in the business of making friends, they are in the business of winning. They also make it clear that the win and loss column will be the only barometer they will use to measure progress and success. Anyone not on board with this is shown the door.

They then apologize to the fan base for the horrible product and reduce ticket prices. They then guarantee not to raise them again until the product on the field improves and worth the price of the ticket. They define product improvement as the team qualifying for the playoffs.

With the above scenario I would have a positive outlook.
Well, I guess your off-season is going to suck royally, huh?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

I want Kubiak gone as much as the next guy....

I don't see how there is no way to be optimistic if he is back though...

I know I've called them terrible plenty of times in the past, but honestly, they aren't terrible...

Overall I think they've done a bad job, but I do think that it is possible for them to learn and grow as GM and head coach...

Yet at the same time while I'm typing this I can completely understand the feeling that we will see another season without a play-off appearance...
Old 01-01-2011   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126483 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I want Kubiak gone as much as the next guy....

I don't see how there is no way to be optimistic if he is back though...

I know I've called them terrible plenty of times in the past, but honestly, they aren't terrible...

Overall I think they've done a bad job, but I do think that it is possible for them to learn and grow as GM and head coach...

Yet at the same time while I'm typing this I can completely understand the feeling that we will see another season without a play-off appearance...
I think I understand this. I am in a wait and see mode, 'cause I have no other choice.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #17
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

To me, a big free agent signing would get me excited about next year. When I say big, I mean headline grabbing big. Not an Antonio Smith type signing, great signing IMO but something really big. Safety, cornerback, linebacker for our new 3-4? All-pro/pro-bowler signing.

Meh, when this season is over, it'll take about a month before I start getting excited for next year and completely wipe the slate clean. The offseason is too damn long to continually ***** about Kubiak, Smith, Mcnair, crappy secondary, etc, etc.

Me likey football.
Old 01-01-2011   #18
SpringTexan
Rookie

If Kubiak doesn't leave, then I would be happy with both a big free agent signing and Wade Phillips coming in. I think Champ Bailey would be a great signing for our defense.
SpringTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think I understand this. I am in a wait and see mode, 'cause I have no other choice.
You can always convert to a Cowboys or Titans fan!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
To me, a big free agent signing would get me excited about next year. When I say big, I mean headline grabbing big. Not an Antonio Smith type signing, great signing IMO but something really big. Safety, cornerback, linebacker for our new 3-4? All-pro/pro-bowler signing.

Meh, when this season is over, it'll take about a month before I start getting excited for next year and completely wipe the slate clean. The offseason is too damn long to continually ***** about Kubiak, Smith, Mcnair, crappy secondary, etc, etc.

Me likey football.
A big FA signing definitely would do the trick; otherwise I'll just have to settle for a deal of Antonio Smith's type, a high draft pick, and at least a new DC and DB coach.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read