Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-30-2010   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My take on a possible lockout

If the NFLPA wants a leg to stand on, then they better agree to a reasonable rookie wage scale. Owners are risking HUGE amounts of money on best guesses. From Ryan Leaf to Jamrcus Russell to Reggie Bust to Vince Young and beyond, vast amounts of capital have been wasted on high draft pick busts. You can include Mario Williams in this, also. He's good, but FAR from great.
I'm a capitalist at heart, I've NEVER been hired by a poor person, and I stand on the side of the owners. They are the ones risking hundreds of millions of $$ to billions of $$ against what a bunch of overpaid candyass risk. I wish to God that I had a salary like an NFL player has when I was riding bulls. I got a lot more busted up than any football player that isn't paralyzed has.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #2
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My take on a possible lockout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
If the NFLPA wants a leg to stand on, then they better agree to a reasonable rookie wage scale. Owners are risking HUGE amounts of money on best guesses. From Ryan Leaf to Jamrcus Russell to Reggie Bust to Vince Young and beyond, vast amounts of capital have been wasted on high draft pick busts. You can include Mario Williams in this, also. He's good, but FAR from great.
I'm a capitalist at heart, I've NEVER been hired by a poor person, and I stand on the side of the owners. They are the ones risking hundreds of millions of $$ to billions of $$ against what a bunch of overpaid candyass risk. I wish to God that I had a salary like an NFL player has when I was riding bulls. I got a lot more busted up than any football player that isn't paralyzed has.
Totally agree with much of what you say here.
But is the rookie wage scale that big of a deal ? I mean it's very inequitable
when you consider that untested rookies get more than a lot of established NFL vets, but what are the biggest issues between owners and players ?
The owners want a 18 game season, and the palyers have reservations about that, right ? But what are some other big issues, I'm unsure ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Totally agree with much of what you say here.
But is the rookie wage scale that big of a deal ? I mean it's very inequitable
when you consider that untested rookies get more than a lot of established NFL vets, but what are the biggest issues between owners and players ?
The owners want a 18 game season, and the palyers have reservations about that, right ? But what are some other big issues, I'm unsure ?
Revenue sharing in general is the biggest issue. The players already get nearly 60% of all revenue and they want more. I may be totally offbase here, but the way I see it isthe NFLPA is acting like most other unions and wanting more benefits for less work. It is telling the owners that they need to open their books and account for every dime. As I said before, I'm a capitalist at heart and I find this offensive.
The owners are wanting the players to play 2 extra games a year with no pay increase for those 2 games. Salaries will just get divided by 18 instead of 16. The percentage of revenue sharing wouldn't change, but the actual money amount should because networks, etc. pay by the game.
I'm admittedly biased in this discussion, so keep that in mind when reading this. IMHO, it is spoiled, immature man-boys, playing a childs game for a very lucrative living, demanding more and more from owners that is driving this.
I've never met an individual who went into business to minimize his profits.
NFL owners are businessmen. I understand that many, if not all, are also fans of the game, but should being a fan of the business they run mean they should not seek to maximize their profits? Owners have incrdible expenses. Players get free everything at the training facilities and when they go on the road. They have free food, free entertainment, employees that make sure each individual player gets exactly what he wants in anything related to football. I can only guess at what an owner shells out just for food at the training facilities.
BTW, after doing a little math, a player that makes $2.4 million a year gets
$150,000 per game in a 16 game schedule. In an 18 game schedule, that same player would get 133,333.33 per game. Call me crazy, but I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for that poor individual. Making the league minimum, a player would still get $16,666.66 a game. Still not feeling all that sorry for them. I don't know anyone who makes that kinda money a week for 18 weeks of work. My perosnal best is a little over $200k in a YEAR and I averaged 84 hrs a week to get it. These guys would surpass that by $100k and STILL have 34 weeks to do whatever it is one does with that kind of money and time off.
Old 01-02-2011   #4
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am on the side of the fans ,the owners and the players can go suck it!
Old 01-02-2011   #5
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

The owners want to cut the percentage the players get while increasing the number of regular season games. The players are asking the NFL teams to open their books to show why the need to take a smaller percentage and the owners are refusing. It's not as simple as the players making unreasonable demads.

I do agree on the rookie wage scale however. Vets should make more (and get more of a percentage of the salary pie) than rookies, similar to the NBA.I got a feeling that the agents are the ones who are getting a bug in the ear of the players.
Stemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
The owners want to cut the percentage the players get while increasing the number of regular season games. The players are asking the NFL teams to open their books to show why the need to take a smaller percentage and the owners are refusing. It's not as simple as the players making unreasonable demads.

I do agree on the rookie wage scale however. Vets should make more (and get more of a percentage of the salary pie) than rookies, similar to the NBA.I got a feeling that the agents are the ones who are getting a bug in the ear of the players.
I think it would be reasonable to either keep the % the same or slightly increase it as long as salaries don't go up. The entire % doesn't go into salaries. If the NFLPA wants to change my mind one iota, then demand that any % increase goes to help former players who didn't have the benefits and luxeries todays players enjoy. The former players are a huge reason why the NFL is the most popular sport in America right now. Show them some serious love.
As I stated earlier, I'm biased and as anti union as a person can get so my opinion may not be based on all the facts, but I'm not letting that bother me. LOL
Old 01-02-2011   #7
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the NBA approach for two reasons:

1 -- Player salaries and salary caps are tied to a percentage of league revenues, so the owners and players have aligned interests -- when one side prospers more, so does the other side;

2 -- Rookie salary cap.

I don't favor any side in a "billionaires versus millionaires" fight over the size of their slice of pie when there's more than enough pie to be divided among them. "Thousandaires" like me can't relate to either side.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2011   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I like the NBA approach for two reasons:

1 -- Player salaries and salary caps are tied to a percentage of league revenues, so the owners and players have aligned interests -- when one side prospers more, so does the other side;

2 -- Rookie salary cap.

I don't favor any side in a "billionaires versus millionaires" fight over the size of their slice of pie when there's more than enough pie to be divided among them. "Thousandaires" like me can't relate to either side.
The NFL kinda does that now, minus the rookie salary cap. I agree that this is a battle of the haves craploads vs. the has a whole bunch but wants craploads. It really ticks us "barely able to afford season tickets without an extra mortgage on the house" types off. Do what ya gotta do. If next season is scratched, dented or delayed, they can kiss my ass. I'll become a NASCAR and college fan.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read