Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Am I the only one that feels somewhat insulted today by the franchise?

HTown2ATX

TexansMetalhead
I know that there are a lot of different threads that cover one part or another of what I am about to say, but I feel this is a little more all encompassing and specific so bare with me;

Yesterday Bum Phillips said (paraphrase) that gary Kubiak is great, you couldn't find anyone better, etc.. while at Texans practice. I find it a little hard to swallow that he miraculously showed up now from Gollead (spelling) where he lives to give a ringing endosement of Kubiak.

I find it shameful that, IMO mind you/speculation, that it appears the McNair PR group got a Houston legend to do this now when all signs point to Kubiak bafflingly being retained. I still love Bum and do not hold this against him.

I feel that my intelligence was insulted by this...am I the only one? Am I taking this the wrong way, you think this is all just coincidence?

Also, how high is your Apathy level. Mine is climbing quick. I love Houston and all our teams and I will NEVER route for anyone else so the Texans can always count me as a fan. However, if Kubiak is kept, I don't know how much I can care about next season. Obviously if they do great I'm all for it and will be excited which, no, that does not make me a bandwagon fan as I never left, but I have enough sense to see a bad investment when it is in front of me and keeps screwing me.

Final thought, the Texans are going to be even more of an embarrassment nationally than they already are if Kubiak is kept. This shows we accept mediocrity to the enth degree. He is well below .500 after 5 solid years and IMO, the Denver game showed the team quit on him. So.........we bring him back. GENIUS!!!!! What could possibly go wrong?

I know that there are a lot of different threads that cover one part or another of what I am about to say, but I feel this is a little more all encompassing and specific so bare with me;

Yesterday Bum Phillips said (paraphrase) that gary Kubiak is great, you couldn't find anyone better, etc.. while at Texans practice. I find it a little hard to swallow that he miraculously showed up now from Gollead (spelling) where he lives to give a ringing endosement of Kubiak.

I find it shameful that, IMO mind you/speculation, that it appears the McNair PR group got a Houston legend to do this now when all signs point to Kubiak bafflingly being retained. I still love Bum and do not hold this against him.

I feel that my intelligence was insulted by this...am I the only one? Am I taking this the wrong way, you think this is all just coincidence?

Also, how high is your Apathy level. Mine is climbing quick. I love Houston and all our teams and I will NEVER route for anyone else so the Texans can always count me as a fan. However, if Kubiak is kept, I don't know how much I can care about next season. Obviously if they do great I'm all for it and will be excited which, no, that does not make me a bandwagon fan as I never left, but I have enough sense to see a bad investment when it is in front of me and keeps screwing me.

Final thought, the Texans are going to be even more of an embarrassment nationally than they already are if Kubiak is kept. This shows we accept mediocrity to the enth degree. He is well below .500 after 5 solid years and IMO, the Denver game showed the team quit on him. So.........we bring him back. GENIUS!!!!! What could possibly go wrong?

I agree with you, I feel insulted and this was defintely calucuated. But, you may want to think about merging this into one of the other threads.

The team hasn't quit on him

And buy keeping kubes I think we are going to open up more to free agents this year

Of course it's a PR move. So what? It's his team, and he believes in his coach. There are a lot smarter football people involved in that team than the fans. While they may make mistakes, they're still smarter than us, and obviously way more patient.

McNair is crafting this team on the Steelers and Patriots models, where you build a winner and then just tweak slightly every year when you get there. Long-term personnel, long-term coaches. Not a revolving door. While it may be frustrating, I am at least intelligent enough to respect that.

What if Tom Landry had been fired after his sixth season? What if Belichick hadn't been fired by the Browns after his fifth? I'm not saying Kubiak is the next Landry or Belichick, but what if he is? Won't we feel like fools "rebuilding" for the next decade or two as the Browns have?

Give him a chance with a proven DC and apply some pressure on him and see what happens.

My apathy level is sky-high with this team right now. I really hate to say
that, but Bob is on the verge of playin' all this team's fans for suckaz.
The old man up in Dallas at least gives a damn about winning. Mcnair's
next move will speak volumes about his priorities as the owner of
an NFL franchise.

Of course it's a PR move. So what? It's his team, and he believes in his coach. There are a lot smarter football people involved in that team than the fans. While they may make mistakes, they're still smarter than us, and obviously way more patient.

McNair is crafting this team on the Steelers and Patriots models, where you build a winner and then just tweak slightly every year when you get there. Long-term personnel, long-term coaches. Not a revolving door. While it may be frustrating, I am at least intelligent enough to respect that.

What if Tom Landry had been fired after his sixth season? What if Belichick hadn't been fired by the Browns after his fifth? I'm not saying Kubiak is the next Landry or Belichick, but what if he is? Won't we feel like fools "rebuilding" for the next decade or two as the Browns have?

Give him a chance with a proven DC and apply some pressure on him and see what happens.

So fans are stupid? Ok, got it.

Give him a chance? LOL. That almost doesn't deserve a response.

Give him a chance? 5 years is not a chance?

I think one of the things you are forgetting when you mention those other teams such as the Steelers and Patriots is that the coaches showed success (playoffs) by 5 years.

Would you say our team is devoid of talent? Probably not.

Would you think that Belicheck or Thomlin could win with what we have now? I bet you would, I would. This means Kubiak is the problem.

The Patriots had an awful defense this year, yet are still the team to beat and are in a harder division. So both teams have talent, both have bad defense and good offense. What is the difference between the teams then and the wins coming for NE and not HOU.....coaching.

Based on the results of the past 5 years, where we started and where we find ourselves today I don't know if I would be so certain about that.

You're right though. Bob McNair is entitled to do whatever he wants with his team. He's entitled to keep his pet coach and to bring all the considerable powers of his PR firm (known as "The Houston Texans") to bear on the problem to make it go away.

I'm entitled to feel uncomfortable though when I feel this football team doing a clumsy job of trying to push my buttons to get the sentimental response they want.

McNair dreams of his team being the Steelers or the Patriots but neither of those teams has ever stood for mediocrity as long as he has with Kubiak (let alone with Kubiak & Capers combined). He may dream of the Steelers and Patriots but he isn't even close to being where they are. He's not even (dare I say) "on the right track". I'm at least intelligent enough to recognize that this isn't the way either of those franchises do business.

I think it's safe to conclude that we're less likely to be looking at the next Landry or Belichick than we are any one of a hundred coordinators in over their heads who have been fired in the past four decades while I've been watching this game.

Bob's team though, Bob's rules.

Last edited:

Great thread, no you're not alone.

This is what the Bob McNair PR machine is all about. Bring back legends and let them carry the water for the mistakes you made. That way you can minimize the loss of $$$$.

I've got to give it to the Texans PR staff. They are the best in the business.

They trot out legends to validate their position and do you think the intimidation of the protest leaders is just a coincedence? Believe me the Texans had a hand in this. It's bad for the company business. You cant prove this because they probably sent out some of lackies to do their dirty work.

I'm begining to question whether I can continue to support an organization that uses these kinds of under handed tactics.

I have someone I want you to meet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFy0x_Uixo

Actually, rather than being insulted, I've found the Bum visit somewhat amusing.

Picture a bunch of guys sitting around brainstorming about how to quiet the beyond angry fans when someone throwing paper balls into a trash basket says, "Hey, everyone loves Bum. Let's go find the old man and see what he has to say." Suddenly, everyone is sitting up straight, bright eyed and bushy tailed. The leader calls McNair who calls Bum immediately. Now Bum may be old but he ain't dumb. His kid is jobless, the Texans have no defense and McNair is on the phone. An idea is born.

While I may not think this is a great idea from a keeping Kubiak perspective, I certainly respect the hell out of the mind that came up with it.

If your goal is to keep Gary and keep the fans from going off the deep end - this is a stroke of PR genius. The fact that the fans aren't falling for it doesn't diminish that.

Based on the results of the past 5 years, where we started and where we find ourselves today I don't know if I would be so certain about that.

You're right though. Bob McNair is entitled to do whatever he wants with his team. He's entitled to keep his pet coach and to bring all the considerable powers of his PR firm (known as "The Houston Texans") to bear on the problem to make it go away.

I'm entitled to feel uncomfortable though when I feel this football team doing a clumsy job of trying to push my buttons to get the sentimental response they want.

McNair dreams of his team being the Steelers or the Patriots but neither of those teams has ever stood for mediocrity as long as he has with Kubiak (let alone with Kubiak & Capers combined). He may dream of the Steelers and Patriots but he isn't even close to being where they are. He's not even (dare I say) "on the right track". I'm at least intelligent enough to recognize that this isn't the way either of those franchises does business.

I think it's safe to conclude that we're less likely to be looking at the next Landry or Belichick than we are any one of a hundred coordinators in over their heads who have been fired in the past four decades while I've been watching this game.

Bob's team though, Bob's rules.

:bravo:

For every Landry and Belichick, there is a Joe Bugel, Art Shell, Dennis Erickson, Mike Tice, Dave Campo, Marion Campbell, Jim Zorn, Dave McGinnis, Steve Spurrier, Mike Singletary, Mike Riley, Lindy Infante, Romeo Crennel, Nick Saban, Dom Capers, David Shula, Josh McDaniels, Rod Marinelli, Lane Kiffin, Cam Cameron, Mary Mornhinweg, Ray Handley, Rich Kotite, John North, and the list goes on and on and on that I could name.

These are the names to be associated with Gary Kubiak, not Landry and not Belichick.

Gary Kubiak is what he is, a 36-43 head coach that has never taken his team to the playoffs after five seasons.

And the Browns? Seriously? We're scared of being the Browns? Well I agree, because their fundamental problem and detriment to winning is their owner. We are not too far behind at this point.

You really believe this.

LOL

If your goal is to keep Gary and keep the fans from going off the deep end - this is a stroke of PR genius. The fact that the fans aren't falling for it doesn't diminish that.

It's only good PR if it worked. Did it work? Is everyone feeling all warm and fuzzy now because of Bum's comments?

No, it backfired because everyone knows it was contrived. These guys think they can just pull out the "Bum card" to get us to accept a very unpopular decision. Screw'em, I am not that stupid and neither are most of us here.

DB, The Texans are on the same level as the Browns. Look at their records.

By this time next yr with no moves in FA and terrible drafting they should have fallen behind the Browns.

The Browns are building something and have a competent football guy running their organization. (Holmgren)

For every Landry and Belichick, there is a Joe Bugel, Art Shell, Dennis Erickson, Mike Tice, Dave Campo, Marion Campbell, Jim Zorn, Dave McGinnis, Steve Spurrier, Mike Singletary, Mike Riley, Lindy Infante, Romeo Crennel, Nick Saban, Dom Capers, David Shula, Josh McDaniels, Rod Marinelli, Lane Kiffin, Cam Cameron, Mary Mornhinweg, Ray Handley, Rich Kotite, John North, and the list goes on and on and on that I could name.

These are the names to be associated with Gary Kubiak, not Landry and not Belichick.

Gary Kubiak is what he is, a 36-43 head coach that has never taken his team to the playoffs after five seasons.

qft, i dont know why everyone is trying to compare Kubiak to Landry and Belichick when hes more likely on that list you created above. To me it seems like a desperate attempt by Mcnair to cool down the fans by getting Bum Phillips to talk about how good Kubiak is as a coach so that the fans wont be calling for his head. The list of the potentional head coaches which include sherman and the Raiders offensive coordinator and this were just sad attempts to make the fanbase less angry.

DB, The Texans are on the same level as the Browns. Look at their records.

By this time next yr with no moves in FA and terrible drafting they should have fallen behind the Browns.

The Browns are building something and have a competent football guy running their organization. (Holmgren)

Dude....even Detroit. In all seriousness.....they have even gotten better and seem to play with some swag.

Rams...about to be in the playoffs with a team that sports a rookie QB and is devoid of talent anywhere else for the most part outside of Steven Jackson. Yes they are in the NFC West which is extreme garbage this year....BUT...you have to look at the whole AFC South too......our division is garbage and not exactly gang busters. I'm not saying the Rams are a better "team" than the Texans as we have more talent that has been together longer... I am saying though that the Rams would beat us with Bradford throwing proabably 400+ and 4 TD's on us to his no name recievers so I wouldn't scoff at the Rams. The Texans have no right to look down at ANYONE in the NFL except Buffalo.

They're the joke of the NFL right now if McNair keeps Kubiak. We would now be what Detroit always was. :kubepalm:

Here's Kubiaks attempt to get us to the playoffs....accept in the end even this character succeeded...

The-Pink-Panther-1963-Hollywood-Movie-Watch-Online.jpg

McNairs mancrush for GK is insulting to me. Getting a new Defensive Coordinator doesn't fix playing one half of football, poor clock management, and all that other stuff that is Kubiak. I thought Kubiak found ways to lose last season with the shanked kicks and getting stopped on the 1yrd line or the HB pass but this season hes blown my mind with all the creative new ways to lose. I assume Kubiak will pull more rabbits out of the hat next season when it comes to losing.

Hey Wade you did a bang up job with Dallas defense this yr.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with an uber talented Texans defense. LOL

Also, how high is your Apathy level. Mine is climbing quick. I love Houston and all our teams and I will NEVER route for anyone else so the Texans can always count me as a fan. However, if Kubiak is kept, I don't know how much I can
care about next season. Obviously if they do great I'm all for it and will be excited which, no, that does not make me a bandwagon fan as I never left, but
I have enough sense to see a bad investment when it is in front of me and keeps screwing me.

Great OP you nailed it. Anyone smarter than a rube should feel extremely insulted by the kabuki theatre displayed yesterday.

The Texans have been their own worst enemy. Houston is starved for a winner and people here want to embrace this team. The problem is these idiots have never done a damn thing to create a true bond and love affair with this city and team. They haven't fielded a playoff team and they continually blow their chances to stake a claim for themselves.

The Texans have pissed a ton of people off in this town and have killed any real chance in creating a statewide fan base with crap like passing on drafting VY and killing the tailgate scene this year after the Cowboys game.

I thought that going INTO this year. But when the wheels came off, well....

Let me rephrase...he WANTS to craft his team after the Steelers and Patriots models.

People can be pissed all they want about the HC, and that's fine. These same people were pissed when we didn't take Vince "Crybaby" Young also. I'm just tired of hearing people say that "Bob McNair doesn't care about the fans. He doesn't care about winning. He just cares about money".

Right. And George Bush doesn't care about black people.

And even if it WAS about money, you make a **** ton more when you're a winner than a mediocre team. Get over yourselves, Kanye....ERRR...Texans "fans".

Just changing the DC is not going to solve much with the Texans.

It will not change how much the team is unprepared to play each Sunday. That is on the Head Coach and not the DC. All the other examples mentioned - clock management, 2 min offense, etc are also on the Head Coach.

If the HC is not changed, nothing will change - except we may not be the worst team on defense. So maybe we will 1 or 2 more games - still not enough to overcome bad coaching from the HC.

No you dont make more $$$$ with a winner.

Chek out C-n-D's post on this subject. (Article)

I'm not going to look it up. But it's there if you choose to look for it.

I wish I was an über-fan that could sit on my über-throne and cast über-judgment down on everyone about being a fan or not based upon your ability to wave pom poms in a shitstorm.

But I'm not. I'm just a regular ol' fan that's tired of medicority year after year. So cast your über-judgment on me über-fan, and if I'm not worthy, then so be it. I'll just watch the games on tv.

:sarcasm:

He's been a Kubiak supporter for years.

What has Kubiak shown? Yeah, he can build a team, but he can't lead them anywhere. The record speaks for itself. Bad clock management, bad use of challenges/timeouts, not being able to pump the team up, etc. The Texazns need a leader. And at least Belichick won a playoff game as the Browns coach. Oh, and that same Browns team won a Super Bowl as the Ravens. They were tired of losing.

Hey Wade you did a bang up job with Dallas defense this yr.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with an uber talented Texans defense. LOL

Wade has actually had pretty good defenses. Especially as a DC. The Dallas team just quit on him this year and took advantage of him.

I never thought or believed for a second that Gary Kubiak was going to be the guy who was going to lead the Texans to the Super Bowl or deep into the playoffs. His primary job imo was to right the ship. He has done that with his offense and the players he and Rick Smith have brought in. I thought once the Texans were ready, they would go after a coach who has the pedigree and the track record of winning in the playoffs. Gary Kubiak did a great job of building a team, we became a legitimate football franchise under his direction. That was quite an accomplishment considering the turmoil the franchise was in during Dom Capers' last year here. Kubiak got us a real qb in Matt Schaub and gave us some consistency. I was against firing him last season because of the way we lost those 4-5 games, it was not his fault. Even this year, the Jags game, the Jets game, I can't really squarely blame Kubiak for those losses. But the defense has been so badly overestimated by Rick Smith and Kubiak, that changes must be made. Kubiak cannot take this team any further than he has. I don't feel he has the ability to take this franchise to the next step. For that we have to look somewhere else. And I hope that McNair will make a change and get someone who knows what it takes to move on from mediocrity to greatness.

Let me rephrase...he WANTS to craft his team after the Steelers and Patriots models.

People can be pissed all they want about the HC, and that's fine. These same people were pissed when we didn't take Vince "Crybaby" Young also. I'm just tired of hearing people say that "Bob McNair doesn't care about the fans. He doesn't care about winning. He just cares about money".

Right. And George Bush doesn't care about black people.

And even if it WAS about money, you make a **** ton more when you're a winner than a mediocre team. Get over yourselves, Kanye....ERRR...Texans "fans".

To the 1st bolded part:
Whoa man. That's wayyyyyy to broad and general. I for one was not pissed about that at all but according to you I guess I was but didn't know it???

To the 2nd bolded part:
:kubepalm::wadepalm:

I would bet that was not the first practice Bum has been to.

I can't imagine why reporters would have actually asked him questions this time though.

:kitten:

C'mon man.

I'm sure it's not the 1st time he has been to practice. But you think he goes every week? C'mon TK.

He just happens to show up now, at the height of this insanity and his son sounds like he may be coming here as DC and Kubes is staying (from the looks of things) and all the fans are pissed and at each others throats?

That's all just a big coincidink........

:kitten::kitten:

C'mon man.

I'm sure it's not the 1st time he has been to practice. But you think he goes every week? C'mon TK.

He just happens to show up now, at the height of this insanity and his son sounds like he may be coming here as DC and Kubes is staying (from the looks of things) and all the fans are pissed and at each others throats?

That's all just a big coincidink........

:kitten::kitten:

He probably heard the "rumor" & thought it sounded like a good idea. So he came to practice to try to influence Bob. Or to see if the "rumor" had legs.

Some beat writer saw him & pounced.

Heck, if he didn't "show up" at practice today, some reporter would have probably cornered him in his home & we'd have to watch him doing sit-ups in his driveways.

:bender:

I posted in one of the other thread what I thought about this crap. I'll just cut and paste it here because I don't feel like rehashing it right now. And to DerekLee, :kubepalm::wadepalm:. This is what you can expect next year on the sidelines.

This whole thing stinks of being a staged event. I agree with Herv and some others here that we are being setup for keeping Kubiak and hiring Phillips. What a friggin joke. McNair is really starting to make me dislike him. You just want to grab him and say what the ****** are you thinking? Why bring back football to Houston if you are going to continue to make the same mistakes over and over and keep putting a mediocre product on the field and telling us that you want to win. Bull******. Actions speak louder than words. Nine years and counting. He should NEVER have given Kubiak an extension last year. Now the excuse is being floated that we don't want to pay Kubiak for 2 more years and pay and new head coach with a strike looming. Well McNair you are the one that gave him the extension and got yourself in this pickle. You great football mind you.

Free Agency? There will be little to none with the lockout...

hate to bring up an actual football question but is this true?

i assumed since theres a draft in april that FA would also be normal this yr too? it'd be after the draft that the lockout starts right?

hate to bring up an actual football question but is this true?

i assumed since theres a draft in april that FA would also be normal this yr too? it'd be after the draft that the lockout starts right?

I don't know. It's been said that the 2011 draft was part of the last draft and will take place like normal. But the CBA runs out at the end of March IIRC.

:thinking: May not be much of a free agency period at all...

There will be a draft as usual, but no contracts can be signed (rookie or FA) until a new CBA is in place.

Back