Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2010   #1
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default At what point...

Will the Texans start to lose fans because of McNair? Obviously alot of fans think Kubiak should be fired, justifiably so, but if Kubiak is retained while Wade Phillips is brought in at DC, and they fail to make the playoffs again next year, while NOT bringing in any GOOD defensive players via trades or free agency,will you find another team to root for?
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #2
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: At what point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Will the Texans start to lose fans because of McNair?...
Monday January 3, 2011 if Kubiak is not fired.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #3
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3739 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Monday January 3, 2011 if Kubiak is not fired.
Same
Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #4
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

I have never seen the Texans ranked this low before - 31st out of 32 teams

Quote:
Houston Texans (5-10)
You're a good man, Bob McNair. Always have been, always will be. But you gotta do it. You have to pull the trigger and admit that Gary Kubiak isn't the man to get the job done in Houston. He's had his fair shot, and failed. Keeping him around for another season only sends the message to your fans that you're too patient for your own good, and willing to accept mediocrity.
From: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...nnbin&hpt=Sbin
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #5
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Will the Texans start to lose fans because of McNair? Obviously alot of fans think Kubiak should be fired, justifiably so, but if Kubiak is retained while Wade Phillips is brought in at DC, and they fail to make the playoffs again next year, while NOT bringing in any GOOD defensive players via trades or free agency,will you find another team to root for?

ehhh...I tried whole "root for another team" thing when the Oilers left. It doesn't work. I have too much emotional investment in Houston football to pick another city and start following them. I either like football too much, or not enough...I'm not sure which.

Frustratingly horrible football > not having a team > rooting for another team
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #6
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
ehhh...I tried whole "root for another team" thing when the Oilers left. It doesn't work. I have too much emotional investment in Houston football to pick another city and start following them. I either like football too much, or not enough...I'm not sure which.

Same Here!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #7
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

My support is more contingent on him firing Rick Smith than Gary Kubiak.

Until he does that, not only will I not put $.01 toward the Texans, my support for the team will be luke warm. I will still watch the games. But, I will not plan my life around them.
Old 12-30-2010   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

i doubt they'll start losing fans in droves if mcnair chooses to keep kubiak for next year. Football is too important down here for that to happen & people who love football still remember the days with no football here. & though i have not partook in any, i hear the tailgaiting is ridiculously good for our games so at minimum the few folks who do choose to leave the stadium will continue to show up for that. When we do finally start winning those same folks will return back to the stadium & hook will be loaded again.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #9
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Never. All these "fans" that bail either aren't really fans, or are fairweathers who will be right back "supporting" the team opening day kickoff next year. Or at worst, when they win a couple of games.

People fume, people vent, but in the end, they'll still be around. Remember the Mario/Vince/Reggie thing, and all the "fans" that supposedly bailed?
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #10
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 53313 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll still be a fan. I know it's a lifetime commitment while they are in this city. But the question for me is how Apathetic will I be?

Just because I remain does not mean I will give a flying F about the fairy ass train wreck on Kirby until this guy is gonzo.

HTown for life.......they just make it hard to care anymore until something is changed. But I can't and won't leave or fully root for another team...that's just not me.

It's a shame how McNair is nationally embarrassing the fans and the team and city if he keeps kubes.

If you thought that the Texans were already a joke nationally just wait until Kubes is NOT fired (if that indeed comes to pass).

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no way in hell I can be a fan and root for another team. It isn't just football, it's being in Houston and rooting for the home team. I might be disgusted, pissed off and very damned unhappy with the home team, but they shall remain just that, the home team.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #12
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Love the team and will never relinquish my fandom, but am seriously contemplating dropping at least one set of my season tickets, which I have owned since the franchise's inception. Poor product, bandaid fixes and the CBA fiasco all have dampened my enthusiasm to keep sending them my money.
Old 12-30-2010   #13
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 79824 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I am finding it harder and harder. The Oilers were the team I rooted for since I was a kid because we lived in Houston. I also rooted for the Bucs as a kid just because I liked Doug Williams and those orange uniforms. I always felt I could root for a team in each conference.

Then when I was 13 we moved to NY and in the mid 80's I started rooting for the Giants during the Parcells era. They pretty much replaced the Bucs for me also I never had any ties to Florida. However the Oilers stayed #1 even living up there.

So when the Texans came around I thought they would replace what I had in the Oilers. A new #1 team that was from my original home town.

All I will say is when the Oilers played the Giants there was no question where my heart was. They never beat the Giants however, even that last game of the season when they needed to win to earn a playoff bye and the Giants were 7-8. I sat next to Al Del Greco's uncle in the Meadowlands rooting for the Oilers. Of course they choked to a Giants team that had nothing to play for.

This season when the Texans played the Giants I was really divided. When the Giants did someone good I found myself cheering inside. That never happened with the Oilers.

Each season I am having a harder time relating to the Texans. As I said in another post I cannot relate to the "mamby pamby" attitude down there. There is no demand for a winner and you know what the old saying is "you get what you ask for".

If McNair seriously does not axe Kubiak on Monday that is really going to have an affect on how I feel about them.

As bad as Bud Adams was I can honestly say I related a lot more to him (on a football level) than McNair (please shoot me now). I remember several Oilers drafts or free agent moves where they picked the guy I wanted or thought would be the best. I don't think that has happened once with the Texans.

Even when Bud traded Warren Moon it's also what I wanted at the time. I thought Moon was a playoff choke artist and I wanted to go with Cody Carlson. Was it the right move? Well Carlson got hurt so no, however I couldn't fault Bud because I wanted that too.

I know I am rambling but yes, it's becoming harder and harder to have any passion for this team when you don't agree with anything they do.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

There will always be that next "gimmick" that McNair will pull off to keep some hope and interest up for the fans for the "next better year." But in the off season, after the season's over, if you go to another football town, what's it going to feel like walking around in full Texans gear?........entirely proud?..............maybe a little funny? You can ask yourself that question. I don't necessarily expect an honest answer from some. You can keep the answer to yourself. But ask yourself that question. After a decade, we shouldn't be have to entertain that question........or ponder what the answer might be........for even a second.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I wonder why the Raiders still have fans.
Old 12-30-2010   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Apparently never.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78916

Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
There will always be that next "gimmick" that McNair will pull off to keep some hope and interest up for the fans for the "next better year." But in the off season, after the season's over, if you go to another football town, what's it going to feel like walking around in full Texans gear?........entirely proud?..............maybe a little funny? You can ask yourself that question. I don't necessarily expect an honest answer from some. You can keep the answer to yourself. But ask yourself that question. After a decade, we shouldn't be have to entertain that question........or ponder what the answer might be........for even a second.
I haven't turned my back on my country & it's soldiers, just because Obama is an ***** or Bush is an even bigger *****. I wear those colors proudly every day of my life. I'm proud to be a vet & to have served this great country, regardless what France's opinion of us may be.

That's how I roll.

I'm a Texan. I've tried to root for other teams, when Houston didn't have a team..... never took, nothing felt right, not even Dallas.

I wore my gear when we were 2-14 & defended those soldiers too.... it's what I do (maybe I didn't defend David Carr... but that was different).
Old 12-30-2010   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I haven't turned my back on my country & it's soldiers, just because Obama is an ***** or Bush is an even bigger *****. I wear those colors proudly every day of my life. I'm proud to be a vet & to have served this great country, regardless what France's opinion of us may be.

That's how I roll.

I'm a Texan. I've tried to root for other teams, when Houston didn't have a team..... never took, nothing felt right, not even Dallas.

I wore my gear when we were 2-14 & defended those soldiers too.... it's what I do (maybe I didn't defend David Carr... but that was different).

I would have to say that many would have no problem separating the issue of the support of this country with that of supporting or not supporting a sports team.

There are still fans in Houston defending David Carr..........in fact wearing his Jersey to this day.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #19
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 53313 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I would have to say that many would have no problem separating the issue of the support of this country with that of supporting or not supporting a sports team.

There are still fans in Houston defending David Carr..........in fact wearing his Jersey to this day.

No way! Seriously!!

That would be the height of insanity right there.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #20
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post

Couldn't have said it better.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read