Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2010   #1
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Singletary/Kubiak?

Just off the bat, I have heard no rumors of this but thought it was just as plausible as Phillips/Kubiak.

First off, I want to say that I want Kubiak gone just as bad as the next guy but I would rather have a combo of Kubes and "insert great DC name here" than another unproven assisstant coach turn head coach.

Singletary just got canned in SF with a rather poor showing as a HC over there so Im not sure that teams will be lining up to hire him as the saving grace at HC. He did however display that "punch you in the mouth" winning attitude that I, myself would love to see on this team. He has an unreal background of great defense and in my eyes, is a hell of a guy that players would respect and in no way is the "softy" coach that Kubiak OR Wade would be.

Just throwing another thought to ponder on out there.

Thoughts?
Old 12-30-2010   #2
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Singletary/Kubiak?

Holding players and yourself as a coach responsible instills repect in players.

Pulling your pants down and going bat-shit crazy on the sidelines... not so much.
Old 12-30-2010   #3
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_ROK View Post
Holding players and yourself as a coach responsible instills repect in players.

Pulling your pants down and going bat-shit crazy on the sidelines... not so much.
Yeah, maybe. But benching your star player to let him and the team know that not one single person is above the rest of the team does instill respect.

Not many coaches have the balls to do that.
Old 12-30-2010   #4
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Yeah, maybe. But benching your star player to let him and the team know that not one single person is above the rest of the team does instill respect.

I missed that... who did he sit out?
Old 12-30-2010   #5
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Vernon Davis. Mid game, benched his ass due to diva like tendencies, not playing hard, etc.
Old 12-30-2010   #6
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
After VD was benched, the relationship was reportedly stonger than it had ever been between those two. VD then went on to become team captain and was a leader of the team after that.

That my friend is what a HC needs to do.

***that, and win games.
Old 12-30-2010   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

He's never been a defensive coordinator.
Old 12-30-2010   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes/Singletary = blind leading the blind.

Did yo u see how unprepared the 49ers looked this yr? It was a joke. Almost Texan like.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 12-30-2010 at 09:27 AM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post

Quote:
Arian Foster, who led the NFL in rushing through three weeks with 406 yards, did not play until midway through the second quarter of Sunday's Texans-Raiders game because of what the team called a "coach's decision."

"I didn't handle my business off the field and I got disciplined for it and rightfully so," Foster said, according to MyFoxHouston.com. I take full responsibility, and I apologize to my teammates for it and it won't happen again.

Foster entered the game with just under seven minutes remaining in the second quarter.

"Bottom line is we all have responsibilities," Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said. "Over the course of the last couple of weeks he's neglected a couple of responsibilities and been unaccountable in a couple of situations.

"When that happens you got to learn a lesson. You got to pay a price. I'm disappointed in him, but I'm proud of him coming back and playing well."
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/10/03/a...-decis/?synd=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Singletary, to me, has never been an X's and O's kinda guy. I think he'd be a great position coach... and maybe work his way up to DC. Like you said cak, he's never been a DC. If Kubiak stays as HC I want a proven DC in here that has done it before.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #10
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Sorry.

LB coach in 2003 with Balitmore
LB coach and assisstant HC in SF in 2004
HC in 2007 in SF

LB for Chicago Bears, most notably the 85 Bears. One of the best defenses ever assembled.

Defensive background is there. I dont think a jump to DC would be to ridiculous.
Old 12-30-2010   #11
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

San Fran doesn't have nearly the talent that the Texans have. Or that they are supposed to have according to their draft position. I would love to see Mike Singletary's reaction to someone with Mario or Amobe's God given talent taking plays off. Singletary is old school. He believes you earn a paycheck to play the game; to play every single play like it's your last. He expects alot out of the players, especially those with that ability. I'd like to see how pissed he could get on our sidelines....
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #12
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3508 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

If this were a year or two ago, I'd be extremely happy to have Singletary come on and get his feet wet here as a defensive coordinator, but Gary is on his absolute last straw here and he has to get it right. No more experiments with the defensive personnel.

That said, Pollardized hit the nail on the head! I would love to get Singletary here as a linebacker or defensive line coach!
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #13
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected

No.
Old 12-30-2010   #14
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 12-30-2010   #15
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Need a proven DC, not ANOTHER first time DC.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
If this were a year or two ago, I'd be extremely happy to have Singletary come on and get his feet wet here as a defensive coordinator, but Gary is on his absolute last straw here and he has to get it right. No more experiments with the defensive personnel.

That said, Pollardized hit the nail on the head! I would love to get Singletary here as a linebacker or defensive line coach!
My thoughts as well. Would love him as a position coach. Does he deserve a shot at DC? Sure I think he does. But not with us right now with Kubes as HC. We need a proven guy that knows what he's doing. Like you said, this is the last straw for Kubes and they better not take any chances. If Cowher came in as HC THEN maybe look at Singletary. He needs a guy to help him grow in the DC role and learn about it... not thrown in with a HC that knows nothing about the D... like what happend to Bush (almost).
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #17
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
My thoughts as well. Would love him as a position coach. Does he deserve a shot at DC? Sure I think he does. But not with us right now with Kubes as HC. We need a proven guy that knows what he's doing. Like you said, this is the last straw for Kubes and they better not take any chances. If Cowher came in as HC THEN maybe look at Singletary. He needs a guy to help him grow in the DC role and learn about it... not thrown in with a HC that knows nothing about the D... like what happend to Bush (almost).
This would be my choice.
Old 12-30-2010   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm unable to entertain any scenario that doesn't begin with "Gary Kubiak is fired...." so this is something that I have less than zero interest in. It's like suggesting that we find a new combination of failures and see if they together make a success.

I know manure tastes terrible but what if we combine manure with the also terrible taste of diesel fuel. Maybe then we'd have a delicious treat?

How about "No"?

Doesn't look promising from the outset. In fact Kubiak with Wade Phillips as DC looks more interesting and I have zero interest in that.
Old 12-30-2010   #19
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm unable to entertain any scenario that doesn't begin with "Gary Kubiak is fired...." so this is something that I have less than zero interest in. It's like suggesting that we find a new combination of failures and see if they together make a success.

I know manure tastes terrible but what if we combine manure with the also terrible taste of diesel fuel. Maybe then we'd have a delicious treat?

How about "No"?

Doesn't look promising from the outset. In fact Kubiak with Wade Phillips as DC looks more interesting and I have zero interest in that.
This.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

How about "No"?

Well, that's what KC did. They added two failed HC's (off the Belichick tree no less) in Crennel & Weiss around their HC & voila...shit to sugar in 1 year. Not saying i don't think kubiak is deserving of being fired but don't underestimate the impact of what good coordinators can do for a team.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read