Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-29-2010   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Potential Nose Tackles in the upcoming draft?

I don't follow college football religiously and I'm not a huge mock draft nut, so I don't know alot about what prospects are coming out this year. However since we're all going to be forced to hop aboard the terd train of failure for another season and we're bringing in Wade Phillips who prefers a 3-4 defense, does anybody know anything about the NTs coming out this season and where they're projected to go in the draft?
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Potential Nose Tackles in the upcoming draft?

This LINK, even though it's from Bleacher Report, is a pretty decent look at available 2011 Draft Defensive Linemen.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

NT types

1.Steven Paea
2.Sione Fua
3.Kendrick Ellis
4.Jerrell Powe
5.Phil Taylor
6.Marvin Austin
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Kenrick Ellis (Hampton) is considered a "sleeper." He is a mountain, and impossible to move off the line of scrimmage. With so many teams running variations of a 3-4 and needing a nose tackle to run it properly, Ellis is going to be a hot commodity in April. At 6'5 340lbs, he has a tremendous frame and is an immovable object in the middle of the defensive line. He originally began his career at South Carolina, but was dismissed for a violation of team rules but has been a standout at Hampton since arriving on campus. He already has 52 tackles, ten for loss this season in just five games. Ellis is going to have to answer questions about his dismissal from South Carolina, but if he can convince teams he has matured, he could be taken very highly. Players with his size, strength, and ability to control the line of scrimmage are rare.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
NT types

1.Steven Paea
2.Sione Fua
3.Kendrick Ellis
4.Jerrell Powe
5.Phil Taylor
6.Marvin Austin
This looks like a pretty good list. I would put Ellis ahead of Fua, even though there is no way the Texans will draft him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Kenrick Ellis (Hampton) is considered a "sleeper." He is a mountain, and impossible to move off the line of scrimmage. With so many teams running variations of a 3-4 and needing a nose tackle to run it properly, Ellis is going to be a hot commodity in April. At 6'5 340lbs, he has a tremendous frame and is an immovable object in the middle of the defensive line. He originally began his career at South Carolina, but was dismissed for a violation of team rules but has been a standout at Hampton since arriving on campus. He already has 52 tackles, ten for loss this season in just five games. Ellis is going to have to answer questions about his dismissal from South Carolina, but if he can convince teams he has matured, he could be taken very highly. Players with his size, strength, and ability to control the line of scrimmage are rare.
link

I like Ellis, but there is no way the Texans draft him with the current staff. He ended up with over 90 tackles this year, an incredible number for a DT.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
This looks like a pretty good list. I would put Ellis ahead of Fua, even though there is no way the Texans will draft him.

Ellis looks like a good prospect. I've only read about him and haven't seen him play. (Small School, you're the guru on that and I'm looking forward to seeing your rankings) I've seen all of the other guys play. Including Taylor yesterday at the Texas Bowl. Another guy that impressed me yesterday was Corey Liguette. (sp?) Illinois DT's controlled the LOS and were a big part of shutting Baylor's high powered offense down.

I like Ellis, but there is no way the Texans draft him with the current staff. He ended up with over 90 tackles this year, an incredible number for a DT.
Hopefully a new regime comes in and this will change. The lighter shoot the gaps DT system is probably the greatest failing of the Smithiak regime. Well one of many failing. If Ellis character checks out what rd do you see him getting picked? Thanks for the link C-N-D.
Old 12-30-2010   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NT types

1.Steven Paea
2.Sione Fua
3.Kendrick Ellis
4.Jerrell Powe
5.Phil Taylor
6.Marvin Austin
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2010   #8
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NT types

1.Steven Paea
2.Sione Fua
3.Kendrick Ellis
4.Jerrell Powe
5.Phil Taylor
6.Marvin Austin
What about the kid from Alabama, Marcell Dareus? Not sure if he will declare but if he came out early I'm sure he would be near the top.
Old 12-30-2010   #9
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
link
I guess the real question regarding these prospects is.... 'who is the most NFL ready'?
Old 12-30-2010   #10
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roc View Post
What about the kid from Alabama, Marcell Dareus? Not sure if he will declare but if he came out early I'm sure he would be near the top.
I think he is more of a 3 tech. guy
Old 12-30-2010   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think he is more of a 3 tech. guy
Yep

His best position is as a 3-4 DE. IMHO
Old 12-30-2010   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hopefully a new regime comes in and this will change. The lighter shoot the gaps DT system is probably the greatest failing of the Smithiak regime. Well one of many failing. If Ellis character checks out what rd do you see him getting picked? Thanks for the link C-N-D.
You are too kind. My small school rankings will be posted in early April.

Ellis has first round talent. You just dont see guys with his girth move as well as he does. Due to his small school status (caused by breaking team rules while at S. Carolina), and the relatively strong DT class, I see Ellis going in the second.

Bear in mind (not just you, but everyone) that rankings will change a bunch in the coming months. Prospects will rise and fall, and until the combine and pro days, it is impossible to get a great reading on what is going to happen.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ellis is an interesting prospect, and one I'm not too familiar with other than some opinions. I'll be interested to see how his pre-draft goes.

I was a BIG Marvin Austin fan coming out of HS. He just never could put it together on the field. I thought the kid was just going to be lights out. He was good, don't get me wrong, and he still has the physical tools of a first rounder, but it just never clicked on the field. Then there is the whole issue of his dismissal and that giant red-flag. I wouldn't touch this kid anymore. He just doesn't seem to have "it" like a DT needs. He's got more natural talent than anyone on our DL aside from Mario, but he's got Travis Johnson written all over him.
Old 12-30-2010   #14
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roc View Post
Dareus seems to me to be more of a 3-4 DE then a NT.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read