Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you want the Texans to beat the Jags on Sunday
A) Yes, I always want the Texans to win! 29 36.25%
B) No, it will mess up our chances of getting a top 5 pick. 13 16.25%
C) No, it increases the likelihood of Kubiak staying. 6 7.50%
D) Both B and C 32 40.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2010   #1
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do you want to win on Sunday vs. Jacksonville?

Someone in another post mentioned that most of us do not want to win the Jags game. I am curious what the consensus is. Do we want to win or would you rather lose to a backup QB in order to improve draft pick/improve the odds of Kubiak being ousted.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #2
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you want to win on Sunday vs. Jacksonville?

Nevermind, someone already put up a similar poll. I did not scroll down far enough.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78892
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Voted no and have absolutely no problem doing it. Especially since I'm now starting to here rumors that dumbass McNair actually wants to bring back Kubiak.

Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
Nevermind, someone already put up a similar poll. I did not scroll down far enough.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78892
Thanks, I didn't see that one...voted no there too.
Old 12-29-2010   #5
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

You play. To win. The game.

The fate of Kubiak was likely decided days, if not weeks, ago. Our draft status something I could care less about at the moment. I'll think of the draft when the draft rolls around. The football field, as Ray Lewis said, is a battlefield. It's war out there. The enemy is coming into our territory. I for one will never root against my team because it would be like wanting your country to lose a war.

One left. Get it done.
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Voted no and have absolutely no problem doing it. Especially since I'm now starting to here rumors that dumbass McNair actually wants to bring back Kubiak.

I been telling you why for weeks .... There is almost no objectivity when it comes to Kubiak within the Texans fan base now. Cant see the good he's done for the failure that is the back end of the defense.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #7
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

I'm just ready for this nightmare of a season to be over.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2010   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I been telling you why for weeks .... There is almost no objectivity when it comes to Kubiak within the Texans fan base now. Cant see the good he's done for the failure that is the back end of the defense.
The back end of the defense isn't the only failure here....there's plenty of failures on both sides of the ball.
Old 12-29-2010   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The back end of the defense isn't the only failure here....there's plenty of failures on both sides of the ball.
I wont (and cant) disagree with that - BUT when Bob looks at the numbers they tell a different tale.

Also , look at their record before and after they lost the leader of their already poor defense.

The coaches job is to put players in a position to succeed - Kubiak for the most part has done that. Its the players who have failed to capatilize on those situations presented them and the main issue has been the back end of the defense. If they arent "This Bad" the Texans record is probably considerably different.

Sure Kubiak gets some of that blame but a lot of that goes to Smith as well.

You have to see this from McNairs position rather than that of a fan to understand why he would stick with Kubiak - Objectivity.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-29-2010   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder what day I should bring down the Christmas tree?
Old 12-29-2010   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 84882 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I wont (and cant) disagree with that - BUT when Bob looks at the numbers they tell a different tale.

Also , look at their record before and after they lost the leader of their already poor defense.

The coaches job is to put players in a position to succeed - Kubiak for the most part has done that. Its the players who have failed to capatilize on those situations presented them and the main issue has been the back end of the defense. If they arent "This Bad" the Texans record is probably considerably different.

Sure Kubiak gets some of that blame but a lot of that goes to Smith as well.

You have to see this from McNairs position rather than that of a fan to understand why he would stick with Kubiak - Objectivity.

Objectivity?! Here? Surely you jest.
Old 12-29-2010   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Objectivity?! Here? Surely you jest.
Fans are like 's .... Fickle.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-29-2010   #13
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I'm just ready for this nightmare of a season to be over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I wonder what day I should bring down the Christmas tree?
I didn't vote because I didn't see "Screw it. Let's just end the season" as an option.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really care at this point what they do against the Jags...

The whole thing is just pretty pathetic right now...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I'm starting to like the idea of Kubiak & Wade more & more.
Old 12-29-2010   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm starting to like the idea of Kubiak & Wade more & more.
Right, two softies is exactly what we need.
Old 12-29-2010   #18
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
You play. To win. The game.

The fate of Kubiak was likely decided days, if not weeks, ago. Our draft status something I could care less about at the moment. I'll think of the draft when the draft rolls around. The football field, as Ray Lewis said, is a battlefield. It's war out there. The enemy is coming into our territory. I for one will never root against my team because it would be like wanting your country to lose a war.

One left. Get it done.
I'm down with analogies but this one doesn't fly. If a football game is a battle, winning the Super Bowl is winning the war. Battles only matter in the context of the larger war, and if a battle doesn't contribue to winning a war, it is meaningless.

Winning the Super Bowl should be the ultimate, and ultimately the only, priority for a football team. People say that stats are for losers, but in reality, regular season wins and losses are also for losers. The only thing that matters is getting to the Super Bowl and winning it.

The above is undeniable. And the conclusion is inevitable. Winning these "battles", the games at the end of this ruined season, is not helping us win the war. In fact it's hurting us. The things that will help us win the Super Bowl are not victories right now but a new coaching staff and a stellar 2011 draft. Anything, and I do mean anything, that isn't helping us achieve those two things, which includes winning this final game, is either doing nothing or hurting us. Boosting our record and lowering our draft position is at this point hurting our chances of winning the Super Bowl in the near future.

War is not a time for emotions. It's a time for facing reality, cold determination and out-maneuvering your enemy. The oft-repeated maxim of "I will never root for my team to lose" is an emotional, irrational statement when compared with the realities of the football world. Of course that is fine, everyone is entitled to be whatever kind of fan they want to be. Not everyone takes football deathly seriously, and not everyone is comfortable comparing football to warfare. But for those who are inclined to make that comparison, the fact is that a blind desire to win every game no matter what is counter-productive to the only goal that matters.

Put it this way: Wanting to win this game is emotional. Wanting to lose it is strategic. Would you rather have a general that is emotional or strategic?

Personally, I'm hoping the Texans lose this Sunday, but it's not because I think football is war. I just realize that it will be to the long-term benefit of the team. I also want us to sit knicked up players and see what we have in Leinart, Dickerson, Graham, Sharpton, and some others. I know I take football less seriously than some people (my brother, for example), but I'm no better or worse of a fan than people who insist on rooting for the team in every single game. I have perfectly good reasons for my position and it has absolutely nothing to do with being a fair-weather fan or a bandwagoner. If I, or any of the others of us who want the Texans to lose this week, were fair-weather fans, we'd be long gone from this place, looking for a Patriots message board to post on.

Old 12-29-2010   #19
CharloTex
All Pro

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 23819 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
I'm down with analogies but this one doesn't fly. If a football game is a battle, winning the Super Bowl is winning the war. Battles only matter in the context of the larger war, and if a battle doesn't contribue to winning a war, it is meaningless.

Winning the Super Bowl should be the ultimate, and ultimately the only, priority for a football team. People say that stats are for losers, but in reality, regular season wins and losses are also for losers. The only thing that matters is getting to the Super Bowl and winning it.

The above is undeniable. And the conclusion is inevitable. Winning these "battles", the games at the end of this ruined season, is not helping us win the war. In fact it's hurting us. The things that will help us win the Super Bowl are not victories right now but a new coaching staff and a stellar 2011 draft. Anything, and I do mean anything, that isn't helping us achieve those two things, which includes winning this final game, is either doing nothing or hurting us. Boosting our record and lowering our draft position is at this point hurting our chances of winning the Super Bowl in the near future.

War is not a time for emotions. It's a time for facing reality, cold determination and out-maneuvering your enemy. The oft-repeated maxim of "I will never root for my team to lose" is an emotional, irrational statement when compared with the realities of the football world. Of course that is fine, everyone is entitled to be whatever kind of fan they want to be. Not everyone takes football deathly seriously, and not everyone is comfortable comparing football to warfare. But for those who are inclined to make that comparison, the fact is that a blind desire to win every game no matter what is counter-productive to the only goal that matters.

Put it this way: Wanting to win this game is emotional. Wanting to lose it is strategic. Would you rather have a general that is emotional or strategic?

Personally, I'm hoping the Texans lose this Sunday, but it's not because I think football is war. I just realize that it will be to the long-term benefit of the team. I also want us to sit knicked up players and see what we have in Leinart, Dickerson, Graham, Sharpton, and some others. I know I take football less seriously than some people (my brother, for example), but I'm no better or worse of a fan than people who insist on rooting for the team in every single game. I have perfectly good reasons for my position and it has absolutely nothing to do with being a fair-weather fan or a bandwagoner. If I, or any of the others of us who want the Texans to lose this week, were fair-weather fans, we'd be long gone from this place, looking for a Patriots message board to post on.

Wow!!! Spectacular post. I wish I had said any part of that, let alone all of it.

I also voted no, for the reasons you quite clearly said. Thanks!
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post

Wow....That is an excellent post my friend...

Repped...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read