Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2010   #1
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bum and Dan Support Kubiak

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7357738.html

Damn, Bum must be getting senile....
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #2
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Phillips/Pastorini stand behind Kubes

Didn't see this anywhere...

By CHRIS DUNCAN
AP Sports Writer

HOUSTON (AP) _ Texans coach Gary Kubiak has two Houston football icons in his corner as he faces his uncertain future.
Former Oilers coach Bum Phillips and ex-Oilers quarterback Dan Pastorini attended Wednesday’s practice and urged Texans owner Bob McNair to retain Kubiak despite the team’s nosedive this season.
The Texans (5-10) have lost eight of their last nine games heading into Sunday’s season finale at home against Jacksonville (8-7). Kubiak is finishing his fifth season and fans are bombarding local radio shows with calls that he be fired.
After watching practice, the 87-year-old Phillips said the team seemed to still be focused and working hard.
“You’re not going to get any better coach than him,” Phillips said. “If you can get your team to practice like these kids practiced, the last week of the season, with nothing to look forward to, then believe me, he’s got control of the team. He’s always been a good coach. You’re not going to get any better than Gary Kubiak.”
Kubiak was a ball boy for the Oilers when Phillips was the coach and Pastorini was playing in the late 1970s. Pastorini said the Texans have to make “a few tweaks” in the offseason, but seem to be on the right track under Kubiak.
“I think he’s a good coach, I think the players love him and respect him,” Pastorini said. “I know a lot of people are calling for his head. But I, for one, believe in him. I think he can turn it around. I don’t think there’s a lot of shaking up needed.”
Kubiak has tried to tune out the speculation. He said Monday that he’s only focused on Sunday’s game and more worried about the fate of his assistant coaches than his own.
On Wednesday, he was almost defiant, vowing that he plans to coach in the NFL for years to come.
“I’m going to do this for a long time,” Kubiak said. “I’m a good coach, I’ve got a lot to give. I know it’s part of the business, and when you get yourself into the position I’m in as a head coach, those are things you’ve got to deal with. So I will deal with them the right way, and I will come out of them a better coach.
“I understand that’s part of the deal,” he said. “Is it tough? You bet.”
Phillips and Pastorini ate lunch with McNair and general manager Rick Smith in the team cafeteria after Wednesday’s workout.
The meal may have allowed Phillips to put in a good word for his son, Wade, who was fired by the Dallas Cowboys after the team started 1-7.
The Texans will almost certainly be looking to replace defensive coordinator Frank Bush, regardless of whether Kubiak stays or goes. Houston ranks 29th in total defense (380.6 yards per game) and last against the pass this season (277.1).
Wade Phillips would be one of the most experienced defensive coordinators available, with stints for Denver (1989-92), Buffalo (1995-97) and Atlanta (2002-03) and Dallas (2004-06) before he became the Cowboys’ head coach.
Bum Phillips said Wade is eager to get another job.
“Wade doesn’t know how to enjoy anything but football,” Phillips said. “A lot of people, if they don’t have football, they play golf or they gamble a lot, or go fishing. He doesn’t care about any of that. All he cares about is football. As long as he feels that way, I’m sure he’ll stay in it.”
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #3
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Phillips/Pastorini stand behind Kubes

No offense to these guys, but who cares what they think? If McNair is not going to listen to the folks who financially support his team then why would two old school icons matter?
Old 12-29-2010   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
No offense to these guys, but who cares what they think? If McNair is not going to listen to the folks who financially support his team then why would two old school icons matter?
Agree. I'm starting to think this organization...McNair..is just a joke.
Old 12-29-2010   #5
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Pastorini still has a severe drinking problem and Bum's just trying to get his kid a job.

Eh.
Old 12-29-2010   #6
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 12-29-2010   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Looks like Pastorini still has a severe drinking problem and Bum's just trying to get his kid a job.

Eh.
Rep if the system would let me. I agree completely, and while I have the utmost respect for Bum, I don't have to agree with his perspectives on this issue.
Old 12-29-2010   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bum and Dan Support Kubiak

Quote:
Phillips and Pastorini took in practice at the side of Texans owner Bob McNair, McNair’s son Cal, and general manager Rick Smith. There has been some speculation that Phillips’ son Wade, fired at head coach of the Dallas Cowboys after a 1-7 start, would join Kubiak’s staff as defensive coordinator next season, assuming Kubiak isn’t fired after the Jacksonville game Sunday.

“It would tickle me to death,” Bum Phillips said. “Wade’s a Houston boy. He’s got family here.”

The Texans have had a horrible season defensively, particularly in pass coverage, where they are close to becoming statistically the worst team in NFL history. Wade Phillips began building his reputation as a defensive strategist when he came to the NFL as one of his father’s assistants with the Oilers from 1976 until Bum was fired after the 1980 season.

He’s considered a disciple of the 3-4 defensive set, while the Texans are a 4-3 team. But Bum Phillips dismissed that as an issue regarding Wade’s possibly replacing Kubiak’s current defensive coordinator, Frank Bush.

Asked if Wade could adapt to coaching a 4-3, Bum said, “Sure. They played the 4-3 a lot of places Wade’s been, like Philadelphia. You play the defense that fits your personnel. That’s how I got started with 3-4. We had more good linebackers than we had good defensive linemen.

“I know he’s going to coach again. Wade don’t know how to enjoy anything except football. Lot of people play golf or gamble or go hunting or fishing. He don’t care about any of that. All he cares about is football. As long as he feels that way, I’m sure he’ll stay in it.

“If (the Texans) need a coach, I’m sure he’d be tickled to death, and I’m sure they would be, too.”
most relevant part of the story imo

isnt that as close as a 'wades coming' as can be given with bush still here?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Bum's just trying to get his kid a job.
There is a grandson to think about as well.
Old 12-29-2010   #10
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1517 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Great. We all know how much Bob values everyone elses opinion.

#Ontherighttrack
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
Actually, the problem is that he would and does listen to guys like this. Remember he was all giddy a couple of weeks back because an owner or two said something about them being on the right track. Remember he heard Dan reeves say that you could win with Mittens at QB.
Old 12-29-2010   #12
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Also heard Ray Childress on 790 with Matt Thomas. He was defending Kubes as well. Didn't Childress play with Kubiak at A&M?

I respect all three of these guys a lot, but I think they're all wrong here.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey ... on the bright side ... Wade's got a daughter .

This is marketing 101 at best .
Old 12-29-2010   #14
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 53313 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad that this article was put up.

Ran out of TP at the house and don't feel like going to the store.

....think the printer just finished up. Sweet relief!

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #15
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Where there's smoke there's fire. I think more and more this is going to be the end result.

Gary as our coach

and

Wade as our DC.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Hey ... on the bright side ... Wade's got a daughter .

This is marketing 101 at best .
I am waiting for the "Babe of the Day thread" team to endorse Wade Phillips very soon.
Old 12-29-2010   #17
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 78148 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Are all of these guys still on Bud Adams payroll?? Bum also thought his son was doing a great job in Dallas.

Quote:
Phillips said. “If you can get your team to practice like these kids practiced, the last week of the season, with nothing to look forward to, then believe me, he’s got control of the team. He’s always been a good coach. You’re not going to get any better than Gary Kubiak.”
You are what your record says you are Bum.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #18
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8156 texansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to texansdrummer

Sounds like this deal is pretty much in the bag. I could be wrong, but it sounds like a great way to ensure the legacy of the Oiler's "success". On the other hand, if Kubes is gonna be here....there's probably not a better choice for DC.
texansdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #19
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #20
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Bum and Dan Support Kubiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Are all of these guys still on Bud Adams payroll?? Bum also thought his son was doing a great job in Dallas.

You are what your record says you are Bum.
My thoughts, to those definding the regime, tell me

a) why we sucked and
b) what tangible things will be changed to prevent sucking next year

Because all I heard all freakin' year long was a lack of answers.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read