Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Bull Blog thoughts on the ongoing rumors

Funny that totally competing rumors about the Texans surface on the same day. I'm guessing we have a good 8-10 days of this stuff since I don't think Bob will do anything until at least the middle of next week. In his mind (which I respect and appreciate), it would be a sign of disrespect to have someone fired right after the season ended.

Anyway, here are my thoughts, with a high quality link to Stephanie's discussion with football outsiders from a few days ago, regarding the two predominate rumors that surfaced today:

Texans Bull Blog
Old 12-29-2010   #2
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Bull Blog thoughts on the ongoing rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Funny that totally competing rumors about the Texans surface on the same day. I'm guessing we have a good 8-10 days of this stuff since I don't think Bob will do anything until at least the middle of next week. In his mind (which I respect and appreciate), it would be a sign of disrespect to have someone fired right after the season ended.

Anyway, here are my thoughts, with a high quality link to Stephanie's discussion with football outsiders from a few days ago, regarding the two predominate rumors that surfaced today:

Texans Bull Blog
Although I am disappointed with this year's result, I too like to see rumor #1 to be true.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #3
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

So, you're back to wanting Kubiak?

Got it.

And you slammed me for predicting 7-9 before the season.

Ok.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post

Got it.

Ok.
I like the guy. Ultimately, I would like to see Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher replace him. However, there is an appeal to seeing him return with Wade Phillips in control of the defense.
Old 12-29-2010   #5
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like the guy. Ultimately, I would like to see Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher replace him. However, there is an appeal to seeing him return with Wade Phillips in control of the defense.
I don't know anyone who doesn't like the guy. I would give him my ATM card and pin code if he asked. I just don't want him coaching this team any more.

As I said before, I take no pride in being right about this season. I don't think anyone who wanted him gone are happy right now. But, the truth is, this season was predicted by a lot of people.

How did we predict it? Because he's a predictable coach.
Old 12-29-2010   #6
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

for the record HS, yes. Dale has flip flopped publicly and I can assure you he's just as inconsistent in person as well.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't know anyone who doesn't like the guy. I would give him my ATM card and pin code if he asked. I just don't want him coaching this team any more.

As I said before, I take no pride in being right about this season. I don't think anyone who wanted him gone are happy right now. But, the truth is, this season was predicted by a lot of people.

How did we predict it? Because he's a predictable coach.
I don't want him replaced by Troy Calhoun, Mike Sherman, or Hue Jackson... that, I do know. I also don't want John Gruden, Tom Coughlin, or Jeff Fisher (for different reasons).

Guys I would like to see replace Kubiak:

Tony Dungy
Bill Cowher
Marty Schottenheimer
Jim Harbaugh (maybe)
Jimmy Johnson (if he's motivated, which he isn't)
John Fox (kinda, maybe.. with a new and strong GM)

other than that, I can't think of anyone that is (or will be ) available.
Old 12-29-2010   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
for the record HS, yes. Dale has flip flopped publicly and I can assure you he's just as inconsistent in person as well.
We can't all be the emotional and intellectual rock that you are.
Old 12-29-2010   #9
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As I said before, I take no pride in being right about this season.
You shouldn't because you were wrong about this season. You actually thought this team could win 7 games. The Texans will be finishing 5-11 so your prediction of 7-9 is no different than the guy predicting 9-7.

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #10
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

And I thought we were going to win 10 this year. Much closer than my prediction.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In his mind (which I respect and appreciate), it would be a sign of disrespect to have someone fired right after the season ended.
It is respectful because it allows the head coach and his assistants to enter the coaching market at the same time as the other coaches. Holding them back would be the disrespectful thing to do.

Quote:
Reasons why this doesn’t make sense: Wade Phillips doesn’t solve any issues regarding preparation of the team, focus, attitude, nor the ability to play 60 minutes. If this team lacks toughness, I’m not sure that the replacement of Frank Bush by Wade Phillips does much to change that issue.
I couldn't say it better. How you could write this and still be excited about a possible Kubiak return is puzzling.
Old 12-29-2010   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Got it.

Ok.
Well 7-9 was flat out wrong!

Old 12-29-2010   #13
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only appeal of seeing him return would have been under different circumstances... as in the win/loss column. If they went 8/8 plus or minus a game, then yes, fixing the defense with Phillips might be the answer to getting us over the hump. Realistically, the only thing that scenario would do is bring us back to mediocrity.
Old 12-29-2010   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It is respectful because it allows the head coach and his assistants to enter the coaching market at the same time as the other coaches. Holding them back would be the disrespectful thing to do.

I couldn't say it better. How you could write this and still be excited about a possible Kubiak return is puzzling.
Because I'm an emotional wreck. I love Kubiak and was confident this season was going to go very differently.
Old 12-29-2010   #15
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Because I'm an emotional wreck. I love Kubiak and was confident this season was going to go very differently.
Yes, you were very confident about this season. I remember vividly and have the emails to prove it.

You think YOU'RE and emotional wreck? Try going to the games like I do. It's been depressing beyond belief.

Look, Dale, just say you want Kubiak to return simply because you like him. Have the courage of your convictions and stick to them. I would respect that much more, to be honest.
Old 12-29-2010   #16
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Well 7-9 was flat out wrong!

lol! Nitro, you're right. I was even wrong about 7-9. And that's the sad part about this disasterous season. I thought I was being "fair" by predicting 7-9 and they couldn't even live up to that.

Pathethic.
Old 12-29-2010   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes, you were very confident about this season. I remember vividly and have the emails to prove it.

You think YOU'RE and emotional wreck? Try going to the games like I do. It's been depressing beyond belief.

Look, Dale, just say you want Kubiak to return simply because you like him. Have the courage of your convictions and stick to them. I would respect that much more, to be honest.
I don't ultimately want Kubiak to return if he is replaced by a better coach. However, I'm also not in pursuit of your respect. Nowhere did I say in the article that I think keeping Kubiak is the best way to go. I only confessed that part of me would be excited about the Phillips move to DC with Kubiak remaining at head coach. Don't you ever have competing thoughts/emotions?
Old 12-29-2010   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Between the coaching staff, the personnel department and the GM, I have figured out who is to blame and who needs to be replaced this off-season... well, kind of:

From Kubiaks' Monday presser:
(on if having DT Damione Lewis at the start of the season would have allowed assistant head coach/defensive line coach Bill Kollar to do things differently on the defensive line) “Well, we had the guy we thought was going to be that person for us when we went with Frank (Okam) coming out of training camp, but that didn’t work out. (DT) Damione (Lewis) has been a pleasant surprise. I mean, he’s played nine or 10 years in this league and he’s brought a nice presence to our room and what it means to be a pro and how important this job is to you and how quick it can go away. I’ve been very impressed with the way he’s played. He’s done a good job.”

Whomever is included in the “we” highlighted in red are the persons that should be replaced this off-season. As silly and petty as this may seem, the ability of the organization to assess itself this season and in previous seasons has been its downfall. I actually believe the team has done a good job bringing talent in. However, once players are here, the organization has no clue how to assess their performance, manage them, who to keep, who to bench or release, etc… Retaining Frank Okam in his third season out of training camp is as obvious an example I can think of. Well, turns out they not only kept him as backend depth on the roster, but they went into this season thinking they could rely on him to play a significant role. Wow! Where were these guys in 2008 and in 2009? Or, how about the 2010 training camp when he appeared disinterested, winded, and very sluggish. Or, where were they when his college coaches and NFL scouts were complaining about his lack of motor and disinterest in football.

CONTINUE ARTICLE HERE
Old 12-29-2010   #19
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 11563 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we=Kubiak and his entire defensive staff.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hate that you're an emotional wreck. You shouldn't let that happen. I would hate to think that your motions a tied to a Bob McNair run franchise.

I also dont think that the Talent level is where you think it is. Cushing is the only pro bowler drafted by Smith. D.Brown is the only other average starter drafted by Smith. Who other than those 2 guys in 4 yrs of drafting have really succeeded?

And yes I understand the need to be coached up.

That's a failure on Kubiaks' part. So i cant understand why you would want him back.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read