Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-01-2010   #21
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips DC?

Is Wade available starting Thursday night vs. the Eagles?
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #22
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 127 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade always had good defenses when he was a coordinator. Look at the GB defense under Dom Capers. I am sure the folks in Green Bay are happy they didnt let his failure in Houston keep them from hiring him.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Just having some fun with this, so bear with me...

What if Cowher was our d-coord, due to him "wanting to ease back into coaching" instead of taking the Nestea plunge as a HC after being gone for a few years?

Man, wouldn't THAT be an interesting situation. Talk about Gary's proverbial seat getting warmer!

That's going to be the happy place I go to. Imagining The Chin as our d-coord and the resulting awkwardness.
Old 12-02-2010   #24
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=5869776

"Not really great timing coming off a shutout, I know, but seeing a name in print leads me to believe there might be some actual rumblings coming from the Texans that Clayton might have gotten wind of.
It makes perfect timing. I don't want Frank Bush going into games thinking he's arrived or something.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #25
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade Phillips is a top 5 defensive coordinator in the NFL.

I would love to see him here.

Hire Cowher, move Gary to Offense, now we're talking!
Old 12-02-2010   #26
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade Phillips as a DC you say?

Old 12-02-2010   #27
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would approve of such a move. Someone not tied to Kubiak who in a WORST case scenario can slide over to HC on an interim basis.
Old 12-02-2010   #28
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Wade Phillips as a DC you say?

If you were referring to my post, I guess I could have been a little more clear.

Cowher - HC
Phillips - DC
Kubiak - OC
Old 12-02-2010   #29
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
If you were referring to my post, I guess I could have been a little more clear.

Cowher - HC
Phillips - DC
Kubiak - OC
I like this idea, though I am not sure Kubes would be willing to take a backup role. Plus Cowher and Kubes wouldn't mesh offensively. Cowher likes old school pound the ball with big hogs type of offense and Kubes is a ZBS oriented.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #30
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger1 View Post
I like this idea, though I am not sure Kubes would be willing to take a backup role. Plus Cowher and Kubes wouldn't mesh offensively. Cowher likes old school pound the ball with big hogs type of offense and Kubes is a ZBS oriented.
That's true.

And if Cowher could bring LeBeau from Pittsburgh, I'd take that instead.
Old 12-02-2010   #31
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak as OC
Phillips as DC
Cowher as HC

I could dig that. I'd say just let Kubes run the Offense, Wade run the Defense, and let Cowher run around yelling at everyone to get their effin act together and start winning games.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #32
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Kubiak as OC
Phillips as DC
Cowher as HC

I could dig that. I'd say just let Kubes run the Offense, Wade run the Defense, and let Cowher run around yelling at everyone to get their effin act together and start winning games.
I wanna see some spit!!!
Old 12-02-2010   #33
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I wanna see some spit!!!
You watch it, son.
Old 12-02-2010   #34
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Phillips *did* coach in Denver for a while, so he has that going for him...

Sincerely,

Gary Kubiak
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #35
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
Well Phillips *did* coach in Denver for a while, so he has that going for him...

Sincerely,

Gary Kubiak
Repped. LMAO!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #36
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

I'm just too convinced Kubiak isn't going anywhere this offseason. I still think if McNair decides to do something it's going to be on the Defensive side. If our defense starts to play lights out the rest of the season, Bush may stay. If not and we continue to struggle, we'll probably see a change. I also don't think McNair is going to change just because he's unhappy with how things are. I think he'll only do it if there's a candidate out there that he wants.

I think Wade Phillips certainly has a high probability of being that guy. Has anyone heard anything from Wade in regards to coaching next season? Is he tired, does he want time off? Or is he excited about what might come about?

I think Phillips is just really respected around the league, he's had success on the D in the past, and he really fits what this team is about. He's a clean cut, mild mannered, humble guy. He's from Orange, Texas, went to U of H and has coached at Houston and Denver. I keep reading his a brilliant defensive mind, can adjust during a game or when there's injuries and he's not tied to the 3-4 scheme.

I've been thinking Bush will be gone and our new DC will bring in a big FA acquisition. Maybe not a "Julius Peppers" kind of bigtime $ contract... but I think McNair/Kubiak/Smith will say "we've got to get help back there now.".

I can see Wade being that guy. Marcus Spears will be a FA. Could he be a possible DE pick up for us? Mario, Antonio, Spears, Anderson and Barwin?

Champ Bailey is also a FA. I know he's not the lockdown guy he used to be but I think he would be a huge asset to bring in here. I don't think he and Denver have had any talks about a new contract either.

Could Wade be the guy and bring in Spears and Bailey? I think we'd still need some safety help, lb and dt to go along with it. But I think that really could be the edge that gets us to the promised land.
Old 12-02-2010   #37
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think Wade Phillips certainly has a high probability of being that guy. Has anyone heard anything from Wade in regards to coaching next season? Is he tired, does he want time off? Or is he excited about what might come about?

He wants to coach next year. Cant remeber where I read/heard it but I did see it this past week. Wouldnt totally shock me since Bum Philips has close ties to the McNairs and is a die hard Texans fan.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #38
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Just having some fun with this, so bear with me...

What if Cowher was our d-coord, due to him "wanting to ease back into coaching" instead of taking the Nestea plunge as a HC after being gone for a few years?

Man, wouldn't THAT be an interesting situation. Talk about Gary's proverbial seat getting warmer!

That's going to be the happy place I go to. Imagining The Chin as our d-coord and the resulting awkwardness.
Wow! That IS a happy place. Then we wouldn't have to have a "learning curve" for next season, wouldn't take time to (re)build and we'd have our HC in waiting (ala Opie with the Cowboys). It's a WIN-WIN for all!

However - if I was to put money down based off past expectations and results, I betcha it's Wade that comes in. If so - agree with an above poster - can we go ahead and biring him in starting tonight.... or do we need to wait and see if the "Bush on the field" experiment pays crazy magical dividends?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #39
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58272 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

He was a bad HC. I dont' want him as our DC!

Signed,
The Green Bay Packers Fan Base

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #40
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the idea basically because it would be a way to return the 3-4 to the Texans. Frankly I don't care if Mickey Mouse is the Texans DC, as long as he runs the 3-4.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read