Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2010   #261
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer
Default Re: Rumor: John Clayton guessing that Wade Phillips coming Kubiak staying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Matt's a pretty good QB, but he's never been close to what Gannon was that season as a QB or as a team leader. Gannon was hell on wheels that one season.
Gannon was great that year, but he also had Tim Brown and Jerry Rice running routes. Those two ran the perfect route 99% of the time.
Old 12-30-2010   #262
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rumor: John Clayton guessing that Wade Phillips coming Kubiak staying

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Interesting... I privately assumed he had previous experience. So what exactly makes him qualified to be a DC? Genuine question.
You are probably thinking of GP's uninformed and quite stubborn opinion that Gruden is a defense-minded coach. To paraphrase Billy Madison...

GP, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #263
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I would've been cool with this move last year.

I just feel like getting a coach like Cowher or Gruden automatically awards us a wildcard spot by the NFL. Anything more will just be icing on the cake for the NFL. Yeah I said it, and at 5-11 I'm willing to take any kind of winning season we can get.

Instead, some other team will get those coaches. So when we play them, Matt will continue to get hit in the head with no call, we will get crazy pass interference calls etc....and the NFL will continue to tell us that we had our chance.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #264
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Find me the season Rich Gannon had 62 20+ yard plays, 15 40+ yard plays or 29 TD's. Hint - they don't exist. 17 seasons in the league and never achieved any of the benchmarks Matt did all in one season. But Matt isn't a play maker and Gannon was. Gotcha.
Find me the seasons Matt Schaub went to the Pro Bowl four years in a row (total of six appearances), won the Pro Bowl MVP award consecutively, was selected for three All Pro teams, and won the NFL Most Valuable Player Award (hint, they don't exist)... (Gannon is the only player in NFL history to achieve back-to-back Pro Bowl MVP awards).

I like Schaub, so I'm just being silly with the continuation of this debate. But honestly, Shaub winning one Pro Bowl MVP and earning one league leader in passing yards is not much to compare to Gannon's career at this point.
Old 12-30-2010   #265
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Find me the seasons Matt Schaub went to the Pro Bowl four years in a row (total of six appearances), won the Pro Bowl MVP award consecutively, was selected for three All Pro teams, and won the NFL Most Valuable Player Award (hint, they don't exist)... (Gannon is the only player in NFL history to achieve back-to-back Pro Bowl MVP awards).

I like Schaub, so I'm just being silly with the continuation of this debate. But honestly, Shaub winning one Pro Bowl MVP and earning one league leader in passing yards is not much to compare to Gannon's career at this point.
Then let's give Schaub a shot to finish out his career.FWIW, nobody compared careers. Schaub had the season of his life as did Gannon as per the youtube video that Carr Bombed posted.

FYI, Schaub still has a small shot at the probowl. Remember how he backdoored his way in last year?

Old 12-30-2010   #266
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LOL... let cak get back to you in another decade. When did Gannon earn all those awards? Oh that's right with the Raiders, it began his 12th season in the league. Schaub is just completing his 7th season (4th as a starter).

Gannon: 1 NFL MVP, 4 Pro Bowls (2 MVPs)
Schaub: 0 NFL MVP, 1 Pro Bowl (1 MVP)

Schaub still has another 10 years to go for us to compare the two. I do hope Schaub reaches a Super Bowl... but I pray to God he doesn't throw 5 interceptions (3 returned for TDs) like Gannon did.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #267
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Then let's give Schaub a shot to finish out his career.FWIW, nobody compared careers. Schaub had the season of his life as did Gannon as per the youtube video that Carr Bombed posted.

FYI, Schaub still has a small shot at the probowl. Remember how he backdoored his way in last year?

Well, 'cak and TK started the comparison, I was just trying to point out that Gannon wasn't a scrub.

Hopefully, Schaub's career when he retires can be compared to Gannon's, simply because that means he has many more successful years ahead of him, and hopefully in a Texans uni. I think he's a solid QB and is potentially capable of great things and I disagree with TK about Schaub not being a playmaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
LOL... let cak get back to you in another decade. When did Gannon earn all those awards? Oh that's right with the Raiders, it began his 12th season in the league. Schaub is just completing his 7th season (4th as a starter).

Gannon: 1 NFL MVP, 4 Pro Bowls (2 MVPs)
Schaub: 0 NFL MVP, 1 Pro Bowl (1 MVP)

Schaub still has another 10 years to go for us to compare the two. I do hope Schaub reaches a Super Bowl... but I pray to God he doesn't throw 5 interceptions (3 returned for TDs) like Gannon did.
I agree. Like I said, I was more being silly about it than really trying to make a case for either QB. I like to yank 'cak's chain sometimes as he does mine, so it was more of a friendly back-and-forth than any serious attempt to debate the comparison of QBs.
Old 12-30-2010   #268
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, 'cak and TK started the comparison, I was just trying to point out that Gannon wasn't a scrub.

Hopefully, Schaub's career when he retires can be compared to Gannon's, simply because that means he has many more successful years ahead of him, and hopefully in a Texans uni. I think he's a solid QB and is potentially capable of great things and I disagree with TK about Schaub not being a playmaker.

I agree. Like I said, I was more being silly about it than really trying to make a case for either QB. I like to yank 'cak's chain sometimes as he does mine, so it was more of a friendly back-and-forth than any serious attempt to debate the comparison of QBs.
10.4 - I actually liked discussing something different other than coaches for a change! If Schaub makes 4 Pro Bowls and becomes a League MVP with the Texans I will be a happy happy man!!!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #269
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess the inmates will be running the asylum

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #270
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 270038 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't degrade Gannon at all. I was responding to the Schaub isn't a play maker allegation. I think that is demonstrably false if the standard for reference is Gannon.
Old 12-30-2010   #271
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge View Post
You are probably thinking of GP's uninformed and quite stubborn opinion that Gruden is a defense-minded coach. To paraphrase Billy Madison...

GP, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
The Super Bowl teams of the Ravens and Bucs..and the runner-up Raiders...all had two things in common:

1. Good defense.

2. A safe, conservative pocket-passing QB who didn't ASTOUND anybody but just did enough to get by.

How in the hell does that make a guy like Gruden an offense-minded guy?

The guy royally botched the QB situation in Tampa. How does this mean Gruden is a genius with the offense?

LOL. I'm sticking with talking about the topic. You can throw out movie references all you want.
Old 12-30-2010   #272
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

what had gannon done at matt's age?

edit: nvm others caught it
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #273
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
The Super Bowl teams of the Ravens and Bucs..and the runner-up Raiders...all had two things in common:

1. Good defense.

2. A safe, conservative pocket-passing QB who didn't ASTOUND anybody but just did enough to get by.

The guy royally botched the QB situation in Tampa. How does this mean Gruden is a genius with the offense?
LOL. I'm sticking with talking about the topic. You can throw out movie references all you want.
exactly. hes a totally overrated offensive coach, exactly like billick etc who rode other ppl's defences to success. you think its a coincidence all these guys are stuck in the media for yrs with nobody biting?
Old 12-30-2010   #274
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69966 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post

I guess the inmates will be running the asylum

Living proof that the good old boy network is alive and well.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #275
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Living proof that the good old boy network is alive and well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZXygg2UR1o
Old 12-30-2010   #276
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody else find it to be TOO quiet? Of course you have McClain inhaling his jelly donuts while clamoring that he thinks Kubiak will be back, but other than that nothing new today. McNair should thing long and hard before bringing Kubiak back, why not go for the top notch coach out there who wants to be here? I think nobody really knows whats going to happen, which is why Flippity flop lard ass Mcclain changed positions more than Paris Hilton in a single day
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #277
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Anybody else find it to be TOO quiet? Of course you have McClain inhaling his jelly donuts while clamoring that he thinks Kubiak will be back, but other than that nothing new today. McNair should thing long and hard before bringing Kubiak back, why not go for the top notch coach out there who wants to be here? I think nobody really knows whats going to happen, which is why Flippity flop lard ass Mcclain changed positions more than Paris Hilton in a single day
no. i just think it seems fairly set now whats going to happen. wades coming as DC. what else is there to report really?
Old 12-30-2010   #278
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Good defense.

1. Gruden had nothing to do with the Ravens, so what is your point?

2. I think you have no idea how to look up a coaches background on google or nfl.com It's either that, or you just enjoy making things up to sound like you have some sort of knowledge to back up your ideas. If it's the latter... EPIC FAIL. Show me anything you can find on the net that states Jon was about defense and not offense. You won't, because you can't.

3. I am sticking with the topic, too. Judging by your post here, as well as the one I initially quoted as shown below, that movie reference fits well.

Quote:
WHat? Get out of town.

Gruden was a defense guy in Oakland and a defense guy in Tampa. With both places having a VERY mediocre offense with VERY mediocre QBs who just barely got it done on game day.

You guys are off your rocker.

And even if you are right, look at those offenses he "led" at Oakland and Tampa. That's what you want here? LOL. No freaking way. Not this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge View Post
Doesn't sound like you even have a rocker to be off of.

Prior to the Head Coach gigs he's was...

Quote:
1988 _ Southeast Missouri State
(quarterbacks coach)

1989 _ University of Pacific
(wide receivers coach)

1990 _ San Francisco 49ers
(offensive QC coach)

1991 _ University of Pittsburgh
(wide receivers coach)

1992 _ Green Bay Packers
(offensive assistant)

1993-1994 _ Green Bay Packers
(wide receivers coach)

1995-1997 _ Philadelphia Eagles
(offensive coordinator)

Yep, he was totally a Defense guy...

Both Gary and Wade would your comment.

I have no idea why you can't understand this... But just in case small lists like that are too confusing, here is some information that is more detailed.

Quote:
In 1988, Jon was the passing game coordinator at Southeast Missouri State.

In 1989, former Vols offensive coordinator Walt Harris took over as head coach at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California and brought Jon in as wide receivers coach.

In 1990, Jon began his career in the National Football League when he landed a job with the San Francisco 49ers as an offensive assistant. Able to work side by side with the likes of George Seifert, Mike Holmgren and Ray Rhodes, Jon became a "West Coast Offense" man.

The following year, Jon took a one-year hiatus from the NFL to become the wide receivers coach for the University of Pittsburgh under legendary head coach Paul Hackett.

When Mike Holmgren left the 49ers in 1992 to coach the Packers, he fulfilled a promise and called upon Jon to become his offensive assistant. In 1993, Gruden was promoted to receivers coach.

After three years with Green Bay, yet another former 49ers coach called Jon. From 1995 to '97, 31 year old Jon served under Ray Rhodes with the Philadelphia Eagles as the league's youngest offensive coordinator, where he learned to deal with the egos of Randall Cunningham and Ricky Watters (practice for Keyshawn?). In his three seasons with the Eagles, his offense never finished worse than fifth in the NFC in rushing, and lead the conference in passing in 1996.

Where in any of this do you see that he EVER had coaching experience on the defensive side, or even was remotely defense-minded?

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #279
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165649 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

You think I'M an idi*t?? Well, let me tell YOU Jerry, YOU'RE an idi*t for firing Wade!

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 12-31-2010 at 09:52 AM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #280
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Don't worry, I didn't mention your name when
I said all that "right track" stuff.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read