Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rumor: John Clayton guessing that Wade Phillips coming Kubiak staying

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5869776

"But owners aren't going to lock in high-price, high-profile coaches if they have labor uncertainty. If talks between owners and players break down over the next month, you might see the Cowboys stay with Jason Garrett and the Vikings stay with Leslie Frazier. Texans owner Bob McNair could stay with Gary Kubiak by hiring Wade Phillips to coordinate the team's defense. If other owners don't make changes or choose to hire low-priced assistants as head coaches, expect a long labor battle."

Not really great timing coming off a shutout, I know, but seeing a name in print leads me to believe there might be some actual rumblings coming from the Texans that Clayton might have gotten wind of.

Wonder if Phillips would be willing to stick with our 4-3 or if he would implement a 3-4. I think at this point either would suit me.

I just told a buddy last night of my prediction: McNair will keep Kubiak for 2011 and hire Wade as DC.

Wade's Houston roots, Bum as dad, knew Gary as a ball boy for the Oilers, and is a solid DC. The table is set and I just can't see McNair not having dinner at it right now.

Great, then we can have another coach who failed to get the best out of his talented team (Cowboys)

:wadepalm:

:kubepalm:

I don't know that we need another "good ole boy" coach on this team. We need a DC with some attitude.

I just told a buddy last night of my prediction: McNair will keep Kubiak for 2011 and hire Wade as DC.

Wade's Houston roots, Bum as dad, knew Gary as a ball boy for the Oilers, and is a solid DC. The table is set and I just can't see McNair not having dinner at it right now.

Honestly, I don't care about all that "local boy" ****. Look at where that's gotten us with Kubiak.

Also, I wonder if Kubiak is going to pull a Shanahan. The owner of the Denver Bronco's was tired of have a really great offense but a terrible defense, resulting in constant meltdowns (sound familiar?) and he simply asked Shanahan to switch defensive coordinators. Shanny said no and was fired.

Now, Kubaik isn't as ballsy as Shanahan, but he's certainly as stubborn. Kubiak is going down the exact same path Shanahan did in Denver (after their Super Bowl wins, of course): 8-8, 8-8, 8-8....

Shanahan didn't know jack about defenses, and didn't listen, and that's what got him fired.

As for Wade Phillips, sure, why not. I'd be happier with almost anything than we have now. The problem is, that that move would - yet again - let Kubiak off the hook.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5869776

"But owners aren't going to lock in high-price, high-profile coaches if they have labor uncertainty. If talks between owners and players break down over the next month, you might see the Cowboys stay with Jason Garrett and the Vikings stay with Leslie Frazier. Texans owner Bob McNair could stay with Gary Kubiak by hiring Wade Phillips to coordinate the team's defense. If other owners don't make changes or choose to hire low-priced assistants as head coaches, expect a long labor battle."

Not really great timing coming off a shutout, I know, but seeing a name in print leads me to believe there might be some actual rumblings coming from the Texans that Clayton might have gotten wind of.

Wonder if Phillips would be willing to stick with our 4-3 or if he would implement a 3-4. I think at this point either would suit me.

I would like that, and I would not mind going to a 3-4 at all...I think we have a few pieces to do this and I don't think the transition would be as tough as it seems.

I think Mario and smith could both play 3-4 DE and I think Cushing could play OLB in a 3-4. I think Demeco/Sharpton/Diles/Bentley could play the inside and I think Barwin would be a really good fit as the other OLB opposite Cushing. I think Mitchell could be a relief guy at one of the DE spots...

I actually think Mario could be a good NT, but I don't know if he'd be willing to play that role. Maybe on an occasional basis.

Ratliff isn't a big fat guy and he plays the nose pretty effectively so I am not convinced that a DT has to be as big as Wilfork to get the job done. Maybe we could trade or draft a good NT though. 3

Why would Wade Phillips be a good hire? How would he make this defense better?

I'm not dissing the guy and this isn't a pro-Bush post. I genuinely want to know because right now I think all of us may want change because we're tired of what we have.

If your answer is "he can't be any worse than Bush" then I don't care to read your post. That's funny... it is probably halfway true... that's been played out a thousand times. Phillips is a popular name and would seem great. Could be a great DC but a poor HC. Sure. But why would YOU hire HIM?

I'm not dissing the guy and this isn't a pro-Bush post. I genuinely want to know because right now I think all of us may want change because we're tired of what we have.

If your answer is "he can't be any worse than Bush" then I don't care to read your post. That's funny... it is probably halfway true... that's been played out a thousand times. Phillips is a popular name and would seem great. Could be a great DC but a poor HC. Sure. But why would YOU hire HIM?

He's been extremely successful as a DC before.

His Cowboys' defenses haven't really been terrible either.

Did a little research, here are his defenses the last 6 years according to points per game:

DC
San Diego 2004: 18.9
San Diego 2005: 19.5
San Diego 2006: 19.5

HC
Dallas 2007: 20.3
Dallas 2008: 22.8
Dallas 2009: 15.6

And sacks per game:

2004:29
2005:46
2006:61
2007:46
2008:59
2009:42

Did a little research, here are his defenses the last 6 years according to points per game:

DC
San Diego 2004: 18.9
San Diego 2005: 19.5
San Diego 2006: 19.5

HC
Dallas 2007: 20.3
Dallas 2008: 22.8
Dallas 2009: 15.6

And sacks per game:

2004:29
2005:46
2006:61
2007:46
2008:59
2009:42

WHOA! That's gotta be a record!!

Honestly, I don't care about all that "local boy" ****. Look at where that's gotten us with Kubiak.

Also, I wonder if Kubiak is going to pull a Shanahan. The owner of the Denver Bronco's was tired of have a really great offense but a terrible defense, resulting in constant meltdowns (sound familiar?) and he simply asked Shanahan to switch defensive coordinators. Shanny said no and was fired.

Now, Kubaik isn't as ballsy as Shanahan, but he's certainly as stubborn. Kubiak is going down the exact same path Shanahan did in Denver (after their Super Bowl wins, of course): 8-8, 8-8, 8-8....

Shanahan didn't know jack about defenses, and didn't listen, and that's what got him fired.

As for Wade Phillips, sure, why not. I'd be happier with almost anything than we have now. The problem is, that that move would - yet again - let Kubiak off the hook.

I agree. It's a don't shoot the messenger thing, because another year of Kubiak is not something that gives me anything to look forward to.

I can just see McNair working this angle. He's patient like a cat, is loyal to a fault, loves him some Kubiak, marketing the "local boy" shtick - especially with Bum's son - will be too good to pass up, and I think he really believes that Kubiak is the man.

Bush is the sacrificial scapegoat to save Kubiak's butt, and it just makes sense that Wade is the logical step from a marketing standpoint.

And he probably is an improvement over Frank Bush at the end of the day, fwiw.

I wouldn't mind Wade Phillips as our DC. Heck, I want Wade as our DC! Although not regarded as a top-notch head coach, he's proven to be a very competant DC.

He's similar to Gary Kubiak in a way. Kubiak is a great OC, and most teams will hire him as their OC in a heartbeat. Kubiak the head coach? Not so much...

Wow I'm surprised by the serious and informative posts guys!! Lol

thanks for the history on him and his D's.

I could really see this as a way McNair could go. Just heard some talk on Phillips about what a respected guy he is.

Was listening to 610 a few minutes ago and they were discussing this. Wouldn't mind at all if we could keep the 4-3.

I agree. It's a don't shoot the messenger thing, because another year of Kubiak is not something that gives me anything to look forward to.

I can just see McNair working this angle. He's patient like a cat, is loyal to a fault, loves him some Kubiak, marketing the "local boy" shtick - especially with Bum's son - will be too good to pass up, and I think he really believes that Kubiak is the man.

Bush is the sacrificial scapegoat to save Kubiak's butt, and it just makes sense that Wade is the logical step from a marketing standpoint.

And he probably is an improvement over Frank Bush at the end of the day, fwiw.

Thank you for articulating my thoughts. I would rep you, but the Machine is keeping me down.

Fwiw I did just hear Jason LaCanfora on NFL Network mention that there are a lot of quality head coaches that would like to work for Bob McNair including Bill Cowher.

Fwiw I did just hear Jason LaCanfora on NFL Network mention that there are a lot of quality head coaches that would like to work for Bob McNair including Bill Cowher.

I guess that is the good thing about being super patient and extra loyal. Cowher knows he'll have plenty of time to mold the team exactly how he wants it to.

Any ways onto the topic I like the idea, IMO that is the only way i'll be happy if we keep Kubiak (unless Texans actually sneak in then I don't care) but the Texans should look to getting a experienced accomplished DC and that is Wade Phillips. This rumor sounds more like a guess because of Wade's roots than a "I have sources..." type of thing though.

Wouldn't mind this move at all. He's been a pretty successful coordinator in his career. 10X better than Frank Bush.

Wade always had good defenses when he was a coordinator. Look at the GB defense under Dom Capers. I am sure the folks in Green Bay are happy they didnt let his failure in Houston keep them from hiring him.

Just having some fun with this, so bear with me...

What if Cowher was our d-coord, due to him "wanting to ease back into coaching" instead of taking the Nestea plunge as a HC after being gone for a few years?

Man, wouldn't THAT be an interesting situation. Talk about Gary's proverbial seat getting warmer!

That's going to be the happy place I go to. Imagining The Chin as our d-coord and the resulting awkwardness.

Wade Phillips is a top 5 defensive coordinator in the NFL.

I would love to see him here.

Hire Cowher, move Gary to Offense, now we're talking!

Wade Phillips as a DC you say?

1239772758989.jpg

I would approve of such a move. Someone not tied to Kubiak who in a WORST case scenario can slide over to HC on an interim basis.

If you were referring to my post, I guess I could have been a little more clear.

Cowher - HC
Phillips - DC
Kubiak - OC

I like this idea, though I am not sure Kubes would be willing to take a backup role. Plus Cowher and Kubes wouldn't mesh offensively. Cowher likes old school pound the ball with big hogs type of offense and Kubes is a ZBS oriented.

I like this idea, though I am not sure Kubes would be willing to take a backup role. Plus Cowher and Kubes wouldn't mesh offensively. Cowher likes old school pound the ball with big hogs type of offense and Kubes is a ZBS oriented.

That's true.

And if Cowher could bring LeBeau from Pittsburgh, I'd take that instead.

Kubiak as OC
Phillips as DC
Cowher as HC

I could dig that. I'd say just let Kubes run the Offense, Wade run the Defense, and let Cowher run around yelling at everyone to get their effin act together and start winning games.

Kubiak as OC
Phillips as DC
Cowher as HC

I could dig that. I'd say just let Kubes run the Offense, Wade run the Defense, and let Cowher run around yelling at everyone to get their effin act together and start winning games.

I wanna see some spit!!!

I'm just too convinced Kubiak isn't going anywhere this offseason. I still think if McNair decides to do something it's going to be on the Defensive side. If our defense starts to play lights out the rest of the season, Bush may stay. If not and we continue to struggle, we'll probably see a change. I also don't think McNair is going to change just because he's unhappy with how things are. I think he'll only do it if there's a candidate out there that he wants.

I think Wade Phillips certainly has a high probability of being that guy. Has anyone heard anything from Wade in regards to coaching next season? Is he tired, does he want time off? Or is he excited about what might come about?

I think Phillips is just really respected around the league, he's had success on the D in the past, and he really fits what this team is about. He's a clean cut, mild mannered, humble guy. He's from Orange, Texas, went to U of H and has coached at Houston and Denver. I keep reading his a brilliant defensive mind, can adjust during a game or when there's injuries and he's not tied to the 3-4 scheme.

I've been thinking Bush will be gone and our new DC will bring in a big FA acquisition. Maybe not a "Julius Peppers" kind of bigtime $ contract... but I think McNair/Kubiak/Smith will say "we've got to get help back there now.".

I can see Wade being that guy. Marcus Spears will be a FA. Could he be a possible DE pick up for us? Mario, Antonio, Spears, Anderson and Barwin?

Champ Bailey is also a FA. I know he's not the lockdown guy he used to be but I think he would be a huge asset to bring in here. I don't think he and Denver have had any talks about a new contract either.

Could Wade be the guy and bring in Spears and Bailey? I think we'd still need some safety help, lb and dt to go along with it. But I think that really could be the edge that gets us to the promised land.

I think Wade Phillips certainly has a high probability of being that guy. Has anyone heard anything from Wade in regards to coaching next season? Is he tired, does he want time off? Or is he excited about what might come about?

He wants to coach next year. Cant remeber where I read/heard it but I did see it this past week. Wouldnt totally shock me since Bum Philips has close ties to the McNairs and is a die hard Texans fan.

Just having some fun with this, so bear with me...

What if Cowher was our d-coord, due to him "wanting to ease back into coaching" instead of taking the Nestea plunge as a HC after being gone for a few years?

Man, wouldn't THAT be an interesting situation. Talk about Gary's proverbial seat getting warmer!

That's going to be the happy place I go to. Imagining The Chin as our d-coord and the resulting awkwardness.

Wow! That IS a happy place. Then we wouldn't have to have a "learning curve" for next season, wouldn't take time to (re)build and we'd have our HC in waiting (ala Opie with the Cowboys). It's a WIN-WIN for all!

However - if I was to put money down based off past expectations and results, I betcha it's Wade that comes in. If so - agree with an above poster - can we go ahead and biring him in starting tonight.... or do we need to wait and see if the "Bush on the field" experiment pays crazy magical dividends?

I like the idea basically because it would be a way to return the 3-4 to the Texans. Frankly I don't care if Mickey Mouse is the Texans DC, as long as he runs the 3-4.

Besides where you line up and nuances of where you position yourself....are 3/4 and 4/3 really all that different? It's still 7 guys. The goal of defense is still the same.

Is it really a quantam shift?

Wade for DC. His defenses have always been pretty good, regardless of his head coaching track record.

Besides where you line up and nuances of where you position yourself....are 3/4 and 4/3 really all that different? It's still 7 guys. The goal of defense is still the same.

Is it really a quantam shift?

Wade for DC. His defenses have always been pretty good, regardless of his head coaching track record.

Yes. Different kind of DE's, DT and LBs. That's not to say some of our current players won't be able to play in a 3-4 on a regular basis though.

Think of it like Cushing as an OLB vs a MLB.

Yes. Different kind of DE's, DT and LBs. That's not to say some of our current players won't be able to play in a 3-4 on a regular basis though.

Think of it like Cushing as an OLB vs a MLB.

Cush as a second MLB next to Meco looks nice. How about as a 3-4 elephant with Cush as the Elephant?

I would love to get Wade in as the DC. If Kubiak stays for another year, we need a new DC and Phillips would be a great choice. I would rather we stay in the 4-3 if we can. We need a solid 3-4 NT and they are hard to come by. All our current NT's are too short. And I think our offseason should focus on bringing in a new FS, not trying to find a NT.

Sure there is no worse option than Frank Bush, but is there a better option than Phillips for the Texans? If he can work the 4-3, I wouldn't say so.

I think it would be a good partnership and given their two expertise and their success on their respective sides of the ball I would be pretty hopeful about the next season.

Back