Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2010   #221
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Rumor: John Clayton guessing that Wade Phillips coming Kubiak staying

i believe Hervoyel(Sp?) said it...

McNair wants to be like PIT and not DAL/WAS, hiring/firing coaches every six seconds....

I just don't see this team doing shit with Kubiak anymore.
Old 12-29-2010   #222
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rumor: John Clayton guessing that Wade Phillips coming Kubiak staying

sorry wrong thread
Old 12-29-2010   #223
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Nevermind thi post, refer to my next one.
Old 12-29-2010   #224
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wow, there is so much stuff in that article and you pull just $$ out of it. I lived that time as a Cowboys fan. It wasn't about money. It was about two gigantic egos.
I'm sorry, I see what you & others are saying in response to my post. I didn't mean to imply the rift was caused because of the money. It was (from my understanding) an ego thing. Jimmy didn't even want to go to Jacksonville but the way Jerry handled the, "He can't go anywhere unless I let him" aspect is what started the ego battle.
Old 12-29-2010   #225
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
My guess is what's going on is that the Texans will "distance" themeselves from the Cowher talk. They'll float a lot of names of HC candidates and interviewees like Hue Jackson, Troy Calhoun, Mike Sherman, plus several more. That way the fanbase will really be scratching their heads and not wanting those so when its announced Phillips will replace Bush as DC and Kubiak will stay, the fanbase will be more accepting of it than if everyone was led to believe Cowher was a possibility. Damage control, slight of hand, manipulation, mind control... these guys are jedis working on Kirby.
I don't think McNair would toy with other genuine head coaching candidates if he plans on keeping Kubiak.

I heard on the radio on the way home, that the rumor is if they can get Wade as DC, Kubiak stays. If not, they'll be looking to replace Kubiak. I only like that idea, because it's sort of like hedging your bets.

Let's say Kubiak is blaming the defensive woes on injuries, then we start 2011 giving up 400 yards a game like we did in 2006 & 2010, fire Kubiak, promote Wade (who has done nothing but win as a head coach).

Of course that only works, if McNair still has faith in Kubiak. I know the players still believe in Kubiak, though it isn't common for the players not to buy-in with the knew coach, it has happened, Singletary in SanFrancisco, Shanahan in Washington, Mangina in Cleveland, Shell in Oakland, etc...

I don't know why he wouldn't just hire Wade as the head coach, and skip the interim step. Like I said, Wade has a history of winning. While I don't think he is the best candidate out there, if we want him as a just in case.... I mean what kind of thinking is that? To think Gary is more qualified than Wade with his history. To tell Wade, "I want you as a DC, but not as a HC, unless Kubiak screws me again"

Really?

Are you really saying you have faith in Kubiak if you're hiring his Interim replacement already?
Old 12-29-2010   #226
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Disclaimer: This post is total speculation. I'm just putting 2 and 2 together.

I think this is a done deal and has been for weeks. That would somewhat explain the Frank Bush at the bar story.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think some kind of deal was struck before the Ravens game. Otherwise, I doubt we see Bum in Texans gear on Battle Red Day.

I'm going to reserve judgment and just hope for the best. Wade might just be what the doctor ordered. This is the kind of hire that ended up putting the Saints over the top.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #227
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't think McNair would toy with other genuine head coaching candidates if he plans on keeping Kubiak.

I heard on the radio on the way home, that the rumor is if they can get Wade as DC, Kubiak stays. If not, they'll be looking to replace Kubiak. I only like that idea, because it's sort of like hedging your bets.

Let's say Kubiak is blaming the defensive woes on injuries, then we start 2011 giving up 400 yards a game like we did in 2006 & 2010, fire Kubiak, promote Wade (who has done nothing but win as a head coach).

Of course that only works, if McNair still has faith in Kubiak. I know the players still believe in Kubiak, though it isn't common for the players not to buy-in with the knew coach, it has happened, Singletary in SanFrancisco, Shanahan in Washington, Mangina in Cleveland, Shell in Oakland, etc...

I don't know why he wouldn't just hire Wade as the head coach, and skip the interim step. Like I said, Wade has a history of winning. While I don't think he is the best candidate out there, if we want him as a just in case.... I mean what kind of thinking is that? To think Gary is more qualified than Wade with his history. To tell Wade, "I want you as a DC, but not as a HC, unless Kubiak screws me again"

Really?

Are you really saying you have faith in Kubiak if you're hiring his Interim replacement already?
I don't think Wade would totally see it that way. He's said that he would be interested in going somewhere to coach again even if its a DC position and not the HC. Wade would fill a void we desperately need at DC. Kubiak could focus on Offense. If Kubiak is fired and Wade is now our HC... we still need to find a new DC even if Phillips has a lot of say in it.

I just feel like our quickest way to start winning is going the Phillips DC route. If Phillips can't turn this defense around... there's no way he would have made a better HC for us.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2010   #228
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3508 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thunderkyss, I agree with nearly everything you say except for the fact that the Texans should hire Wade as head coach and get rid of Kubiak. Count me out!

As far as "why" McNair's handling of Wade goes, who is to say McNair isn't the one who is high on hiring Wade? You guys in Texas are obviously no strangers as to what happens in Dallas. It won't exactly be a great PR move to fire Kubiak only to bring in a coach who many claim has the exact same faults as Kubiak, if not worse.
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #229
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3508 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I'm going to reserve judgment and just hope for the best. Wade might just be what the doctor ordered. This is the kind of hire that ended up putting the Saints over the top.
Exactly!

BTW, I got Rick Roll'd.
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #230
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
Exactly!

BTW, I got Rick Roll'd.
LMAO. Nothing personal. Been doing it for a couple of years now. I tried to rep you, but I have to spread some around.

Could somebody get him for me?
Old 12-29-2010   #231
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LMAO. Nothing personal. Been doing it for a couple of years now. I tried to rep you, but I have to spread some around.

Could somebody get him for me?
Done.
Old 12-29-2010   #232
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

I'm convinced this is going to happen now. The PR machine is set to "spin control."

From the Houston Texans Twitter.

Quote:
Bum Phillips and Dan Pastorini were at Texans practice today.
From Scurfield's Twitter.

Quote:
Bum Phillips: "Gary Kubiak's as good a football coach as anybody's got." Will post his full comments shortly on HT.com
Old 12-29-2010   #233
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm convinced this is going to happen now. The PR machine is set to "spin control."

From the Houston Texans Twitter.

From Scurfield's Twitter.
John Clayton of ESPN is also reporting this speculation as well:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5966936
Old 12-29-2010   #234
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

HoustonFrog reporting that this team and organization is quickly becoming a punchline.
Old 12-29-2010   #235
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I normally like LaCanfora, but referencing the on-field fight between Smith and Cushing? Dude needs to get some context before pushing that crap.
Well, the lesson to take from this is that LaCanfora, like the rest of the national media, perceives the Texans to be a bottom-dwelling joke of a football operation right now.

And to be quite honest, that's how I'm perceiving them to be, as well.

Quote:
I read your disclaimer, so this is more of a piggy-back to your point than taking you to task.

The problem I have with this comparison is that Kubiak has not shown any inclination in the past five years to be the head coach and team leader than Sean Payton has been for the Saints.

I don't think a better defense will magically transform Kubiak into something he has not been for five seasons.
Old 12-29-2010   #236
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Well, the lesson to take from this is that LaCanfora, like the rest of the national media, perceives the Texans to be a bottom-dwelling joke of a football operation right now.

And to be quite honest, that's how I'm perceiving them to be, as well.
Sure, folks see a clip and they will ask questions. But not to offer up the context of it, while leveraging it in promoting their digital footprint is shoddy at best, for his trade and past work.
Old 12-29-2010   #237
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure why an excuse for Gary is that he might be like "add guy who is great coach." 5 years shows he is not
Old 12-29-2010   #238
cameronkrazie86
Rookie

Rep Power: 90 cameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respectedcameronkrazie86 is a quality contributor and well respected

This would be a good hire for the defense which is positive news. However, the downside is another year of Kubiak and unfortunately, that's not something I'm looking forward to seeing.

I'm so sick and tired of seeing new and creative ways to lose that as a fan, I want wholesale changes. The way this season has gone, I'm eagerly awaiting a missed field goal in overtime that gets returned for a game winning TD from Jacksonville this weekend. I mean, they've had just about every other possible way to lose, why not add that one?

Phillips would be a good hire if they're going to keep Kubiak anyway. It's just very disappointing to think that not even this trainwreck of a season can get him fired. Regardless, go Texans and I'll support Kubiak if he stays.
cameronkrazie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #239
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I read your disclaimer, so this is more of a piggy-back to your point than taking you to task.

The problem I have with this comparison is that Kubiak has not shown any inclination in the past five years to be the head coach and team leader than Sean Payton has been for the Saints.

I don't think a better defense will magically transform Kubiak into something he has not been for five seasons.
I don't disagree at all. The reason why I made the comparison is because Payton is the only other HC I know of that calls his own offense....at least according the the NFLN analysts.

I don't see the same leadership qualities in Kubiak that I see in Payton. I also think Schaub is a great QB, but nowhere close to the leader that Drew Brees is...but then again, I don't think any other QB comes close to Brees in that regard.

All we can do as fans is hope that Kubiak has learned something more about leadership from all the adversity this season. I hope a real fire has been lit under his ass.
Old 12-29-2010   #240
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Disclaimer: This post is total speculation. I'm just putting 2 and 2 together.

I think this is a done deal and has been for weeks. That would somewhat explain the Frank Bush at the bar story.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think some kind of deal was struck before the Ravens game. Otherwise, I doubt we see Bum in Texans gear on Battle Red Day.

Bum has been a Texans fan since the beginning. He's also been supporting Kubiak all year. There were several games where he was on the morning show with ND & Mark, and he's been saying Kubiak is a great head coach.

I think it was before Wade was fired when he said that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read