Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2010   #181
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rumor: John Clayton guessing that Wade Phillips coming Kubiak staying

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I think he is better than Gary and he can change the attitude but it isn't like he is a first choice for me.
But is the change of attitude a good one? He had tons of controversy, never could pick a QB to save himself and built teams that wildly swung up and down. Not sure that is better attitude. I know lots of fans like to see growling Chuckie faces on the sideline. Doesn't impress me.

Quote:
If anyone heard Alonzo Highsmith Call kinto 1560 this afternoon, he NAILED it concerning what a team needs in a coach. It was a great call and pretty much an indictment on the Texans philiosopjy right now.
Missed it. What did he say?
Old 12-28-2010   #182
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rumor: John Clayton guessing that Wade Phillips coming Kubiak staying

Can Bob spare enough change to get Wade AND a real head coach?
Old 12-28-2010   #183
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
But is the change of attitude a good one? He had tons of controversy, never could pick a QB to save himself and built teams that wildly swung up and down. Not sure that is better attitude. I know lots of fans like to see growling Chuckie faces on the sideline. Doesn't impress me.

Missed it. What did he say?
He randomly called in to tell John and Justice what he think makes a great coach and thus a top team. He went through guys like Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, etc. He said when they entered a room guys stopped what they were doing and waiting for them to talk. They had some fear in them. Their main goal was to be one of the 11 guys that got to play. When the trams had that attitude and the fear they knew the guy next to them was ready for battle and games. He said he learned the difference his last year in Tampa where they were 2-14 under Sam Wyche. He said guys just kept doing what they were doing when he walked in. They got used to the status quo. He said all of the top guys he played for or saw weren't exactly liked and that he gets suspicious when he hears players like a coach. There is no such thing as a players coach. It was very eye opening. He says the Packers coach now commands alot of respect and he doesn't get blustery or act tough, guys just know who the boss is.
Old 12-28-2010   #184
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Just a thought but why on earth would Gruden still want to go to TB knowing they just gave up a 1st and 2nd rounder for each of his first Two seasons? That hamstrings you so much. Guess that's why he took Dungys team to the playoffs that year and then it all went downhill. Not totally Grudens fault but he literally made the bed he slept in. Or whatever that saying is
Jimmy Johnson & Jerry Jones had a great relationship until somebody offered Jimmy more money.

Maybe it was the same with Davis & Gruden. Maybe Chucky recognized the early onset of dementia.....

I'm just throwing things out there.
Old 12-28-2010   #185
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Jimmy Johnson & Jerry Jones had a great relationship until somebody offered Jimmy more money.
And you know this how?
Old 12-28-2010   #186
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Of the various rumors, this seems the most likely to me at this point.
Old 12-28-2010   #187
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
And you know this how?
Like everyone else. I'm just trying to put the bits and pieces together. I live in Pt Arthur Texas, and that's the word around here. Here's a link

At the bottom of the first page there's a snippet about Jimmy coaching the Jaguars. The way I here the story, that's what started everything.
Old 12-29-2010   #188
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Like everyone else. I'm just trying to put the bits and pieces together. I live in Pt Arthur Texas, and that's the word around here. Here's a link

At the bottom of the first page there's a snippet about Jimmy coaching the Jaguars. The way I here the story, that's what started everything.
Wow, there is so much stuff in that article and you pull just $$ out of it. I lived that time as a Cowboys fan. It wasn't about money. It was about two gigantic egos.
Old 12-29-2010   #189
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN reporting Wade Phillips coming Kubiak staying

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Wade is cupcake just like Kubiak. We aren't going anywhere with the duo. We have a chance at Cowher and McNair is not taking it.
Wade makes Kubiak looks like that drill sargent in the Geico commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgiUm4lQig
Old 12-29-2010   #190
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Maybe it was the same with Davis & Gruden. Maybe Chucky recognized the early onset of dementia.....

I'm just throwing things out there.
The problem was not money (which in consistent with Jerry Jones). A couple months back Jimmy Johnson was interviewed on a sports radio station in the area and said that by his initial contract he had final say on roster and personnel matters. Once Jerry Jones got the business end of the Cowboys straight, he want to take this power away from Johnosn. When Johnson refused, that is when the football relationship ended.

Edit: If anything the link a few post above this one confirms not contradicts this notion.
Old 12-29-2010   #191
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not a Gruden fan either.

I didn't like how he played his 13 QBs against each other, in Tampa Bay, throwing one guy out there one week and another guy out there the next week. And having one QB whom, IIRC, was not even on the team but couldn't play elsewhere due to still being under a Bucs contract. I mean, what a colossal FAIL.

Throw in the little MNF thing where he made Derek Anderson out to be Hitler's son (because Derek had the audacity to SMILE during a bad game) and it is just so apparent that Gruden plays reindeer games too much.

IMO, Gruden is the defensive equivalent to Gary Kubiak. Both guys do their side of the ball VERY well, but the other side of the ball is woeful. When I look back on the Bucs championship season, I see an offense that looks like the Ravens offense under Trent Dilfer when the Ravens won their SB title. Both offenses just barely got by opponents solely upon having a QB who didn't make too many costly mistakes, allowing their defenses to shut down offenses and even make some opportunities for themselves, as well.

And you're right about the Jimmy-Jerry thang. That debacle was not about money. It was about Jerry wanting more credit than he deserved. He saw how much Jimmy was being lauded, and he wanted to steal some of that for himself. He was out to ensure that the Cowboys success was more about him than about whatever HC he put out there. It's so obvious to anyone who just observes the chain of events there. From that point forward, Jerry was hell-bent on showing that he could do what Jimmy did. He couldn't understand that his power and influence had limits. He overstepped those boundaries and it has cost him dearly. But oh well, when you buy that franchise (The Cowboys) you pretty much can screw up for 30 years and still retain your fan base because of the legacy and the history there.

Even Broncos fans have two SB titles to look back upon and brag about.
Old 12-29-2010   #192
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195032 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow, there is so much stuff in that article and you pull just $$ out of it. I lived that time as a Cowboys fan. It wasn't about money. It was about two gigantic egos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
The problem was not money (which in consistent with Jerry Jones). A couple months back Jimmy Johnson was interviewed on a sports radio station in the area and said that by his initial contract he had final say on roster and personnel matters. Once Jerry Jones got the business end of the Cowboys straight, he want to take this power away from Johnosn. When Johnson refused, that is when the football relationship ended.

Edit: If anything the link a few post above this one confirms not contradicts this notion.
Control of how money is used, not who has the money, is a common source of conflict in many relationships.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #193
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Even Broncos fans have two SB titles to look back upon and brag about.
Thanks to John Elway more than anybody else. Sometimes a coach just gets lucky and ends up with a Hall of Fame QB on his team.
Ever wonder what the Texans would have been had Casserly been succesful
in trying to pursuade Michael Vick to stay in college his senior year ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #194
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Thanks to Terrell Davis more than anybody else.
fixed it for you
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #195
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The only positive thing about Jon Gruden is that he's PURDY to look at!! PERIOD!! Don't want him!!

SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #196
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IMO, Gruden is the defensive equivalent to Gary Kubiak. Both guys do their side of the ball VERY well, but the other side of the ball is woeful.
Do you mean to say that they are both equivalent? Gruden is an offensive guy that loves elaborate playcalling. I asked my coach after he won the Super Bowl what he thought about him and he said he'd never want to play for him. His play-calls are about 15 syllables long.

Granted, my coach was fine with calling "65 Toss Power Trap".
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #197
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IMO, Gruden is the defensive equivalent to Gary Kubiak. Both guys do their side of the ball VERY well, but the other side of the ball is woeful. When I look back on the Bucs championship season, I see an offense that looks like the Ravens offense under Trent Dilfer when the Ravens won their SB title. Both offenses just barely got by opponents solely upon having a QB who didn't make too many costly mistakes, allowing their defenses to shut down offenses and even make some opportunities for themselves, as well.
Gruden all about offense, not defense. His defense was all about Dungy/Monte Kiffin. Gruden did just enough with that offense to get them to the SB.

heh, pretty much what TheCD just said. I just noticed his post.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #198
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is what's going on is that the Texans will "distance" themeselves from the Cowher talk. They'll float a lot of names of HC candidates and interviewees like Hue Jackson, Troy Calhoun, Mike Sherman, plus several more. That way the fanbase will really be scratching their heads and not wanting those so when its announced Phillips will replace Bush as DC and Kubiak will stay, the fanbase will be more accepting of it than if everyone was led to believe Cowher was a possibility. Damage control, slight of hand, manipulation, mind control... these guys are jedis working on Kirby.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #199
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9714 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN reporting Wade Phillips coming Kubiak staying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Wade makes Kubiak looks like that drill sargent in the Geico commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgiUm4lQig
That's R. Lee Ermey you jackwagon!
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #200
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
My guess is what's going on is that the Texans will "distance" themeselves from the Cowher talk. They'll float a lot of names of HC candidates and interviewees like Hue Jackson, Troy Calhoun, Mike Sherman, plus several more. That way the fanbase will really be scratching their heads and not wanting those so when its announced Phillips will replace Bush as DC and Kubiak will stay, the fanbase will be more accepting of it than if everyone was led to believe Cowher was a possibility. Damage control, slight of hand, manipulation, mind control... these guys are jedis working on Kirby.
As a fan I could accept the scenario of HC/OC Kubiak & DC Phillips, but
many couldn't for sure.
Atleast it would give us a lot to talk about during the long offseason. For example, would Phillips install the 3-4 and if they did, would they contemplate trading Mario to a 4-3 team where he was utilized to the max, as many do think he must be a 4-3 guy for max results ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read