Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-01-2010   #1
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade Phillips DC?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=5869776

"But owners aren't going to lock in high-price, high-profile coaches if they have labor uncertainty. If talks between owners and players break down over the next month, you might see the Cowboys stay with Jason Garrett and the Vikings stay with Leslie Frazier. Texans owner Bob McNair could stay with Gary Kubiak by hiring Wade Phillips to coordinate the team's defense. If other owners don't make changes or choose to hire low-priced assistants as head coaches, expect a long labor battle."

Not really great timing coming off a shutout, I know, but seeing a name in print leads me to believe there might be some actual rumblings coming from the Texans that Clayton might have gotten wind of.

Wonder if Phillips would be willing to stick with our 4-3 or if he would implement a 3-4. I think at this point either would suit me.
Old 12-01-2010   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips DC?

I just told a buddy last night of my prediction: McNair will keep Kubiak for 2011 and hire Wade as DC.

Wade's Houston roots, Bum as dad, knew Gary as a ball boy for the Oilers, and is a solid DC. The table is set and I just can't see McNair not having dinner at it right now.
Old 12-01-2010   #3
Dwade
Veteran

Rep Power: 56 Dwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respectedDwade is a quality contributor and well respected

Great, then we can have another coach who failed to get the best out of his talented team (Cowboys)

Old 12-01-2010   #4
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know that we need another "good ole boy" coach on this team. We need a DC with some attitude.
Old 12-01-2010   #5
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I just told a buddy last night of my prediction: McNair will keep Kubiak for 2011 and hire Wade as DC.

Wade's Houston roots, Bum as dad, knew Gary as a ball boy for the Oilers, and is a solid DC. The table is set and I just can't see McNair not having dinner at it right now.
Honestly, I don't care about all that "local boy" shit. Look at where that's gotten us with Kubiak.

Also, I wonder if Kubiak is going to pull a Shanahan. The owner of the Denver Bronco's was tired of have a really great offense but a terrible defense, resulting in constant meltdowns (sound familiar?) and he simply asked Shanahan to switch defensive coordinators. Shanny said no and was fired.

Now, Kubaik isn't as ballsy as Shanahan, but he's certainly as stubborn. Kubiak is going down the exact same path Shanahan did in Denver (after their Super Bowl wins, of course): 8-8, 8-8, 8-8....

Shanahan didn't know jack about defenses, and didn't listen, and that's what got him fired.

As for Wade Phillips, sure, why not. I'd be happier with almost anything than we have now. The problem is, that that move would - yet again - let Kubiak off the hook.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=5869776

"But owners aren't going to lock in high-price, high-profile coaches if they have labor uncertainty. If talks between owners and players break down over the next month, you might see the Cowboys stay with Jason Garrett and the Vikings stay with Leslie Frazier. Texans owner Bob McNair could stay with Gary Kubiak by hiring Wade Phillips to coordinate the team's defense. If other owners don't make changes or choose to hire low-priced assistants as head coaches, expect a long labor battle."

Not really great timing coming off a shutout, I know, but seeing a name in print leads me to believe there might be some actual rumblings coming from the Texans that Clayton might have gotten wind of.

Wonder if Phillips would be willing to stick with our 4-3 or if he would implement a 3-4. I think at this point either would suit me.
I would like that, and I would not mind going to a 3-4 at all...I think we have a few pieces to do this and I don't think the transition would be as tough as it seems.

I think Mario and smith could both play 3-4 DE and I think Cushing could play OLB in a 3-4. I think Demeco/Sharpton/Diles/Bentley could play the inside and I think Barwin would be a really good fit as the other OLB opposite Cushing. I think Mitchell could be a relief guy at one of the DE spots...

I actually think Mario could be a good NT, but I don't know if he'd be willing to play that role. Maybe on an occasional basis.

Ratliff isn't a big fat guy and he plays the nose pretty effectively so I am not convinced that a DT has to be as big as Wilfork to get the job done. Maybe we could trade or draft a good NT though. 3
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would Wade Phillips be a good hire? How would he make this defense better?

I'm not dissing the guy and this isn't a pro-Bush post. I genuinely want to know because right now I think all of us may want change because we're tired of what we have.

If your answer is "he can't be any worse than Bush" then I don't care to read your post. That's funny... it is probably halfway true... that's been played out a thousand times. Phillips is a popular name and would seem great. Could be a great DC but a poor HC. Sure. But why would YOU hire HIM?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2010   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

I'm not dissing the guy and this isn't a pro-Bush post. I genuinely want to know because right now I think all of us may want change because we're tired of what we have.

If your answer is "he can't be any worse than Bush" then I don't care to read your post. That's funny... it is probably halfway true... that's been played out a thousand times. Phillips is a popular name and would seem great. Could be a great DC but a poor HC. Sure. But why would YOU hire HIM?
He's been extremely successful as a DC before.

His Cowboys' defenses haven't really been terrible either.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #9
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Did a little research, here are his defenses the last 6 years according to points per game:

DC
San Diego 2004: 18.9
San Diego 2005: 19.5
San Diego 2006: 19.5

HC
Dallas 2007: 20.3
Dallas 2008: 22.8
Dallas 2009: 15.6

And sacks per game:

2004:29
2005:46
2006:61
2007:46
2008:59
2009:42
Old 12-01-2010   #10
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did a little research, here are his defenses the last 6 years according to points per game:

DC
San Diego 2004: 18.9
San Diego 2005: 19.5
San Diego 2006: 19.5

HC
Dallas 2007: 20.3
Dallas 2008: 22.8
Dallas 2009: 15.6

And sacks per game:

2004:29
2005:46
2006:61
2007:46
2008:59
2009:42

WHOA! That's gotta be a record!!
Old 12-01-2010   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Honestly, I don't care about all that "local boy" shit. Look at where that's gotten us with Kubiak.

Also, I wonder if Kubiak is going to pull a Shanahan. The owner of the Denver Bronco's was tired of have a really great offense but a terrible defense, resulting in constant meltdowns (sound familiar?) and he simply asked Shanahan to switch defensive coordinators. Shanny said no and was fired.

Now, Kubaik isn't as ballsy as Shanahan, but he's certainly as stubborn. Kubiak is going down the exact same path Shanahan did in Denver (after their Super Bowl wins, of course): 8-8, 8-8, 8-8....

Shanahan didn't know jack about defenses, and didn't listen, and that's what got him fired.

As for Wade Phillips, sure, why not. I'd be happier with almost anything than we have now. The problem is, that that move would - yet again - let Kubiak off the hook.
I agree. It's a don't shoot the messenger thing, because another year of Kubiak is not something that gives me anything to look forward to.

I can just see McNair working this angle. He's patient like a cat, is loyal to a fault, loves him some Kubiak, marketing the "local boy" shtick - especially with Bum's son - will be too good to pass up, and I think he really believes that Kubiak is the man.

Bush is the sacrificial scapegoat to save Kubiak's butt, and it just makes sense that Wade is the logical step from a marketing standpoint.

And he probably is an improvement over Frank Bush at the end of the day, fwiw.
Old 12-01-2010   #12
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind Wade Phillips as our DC. Heck, I want Wade as our DC! Although not regarded as a top-notch head coach, he's proven to be a very competant DC.

He's similar to Gary Kubiak in a way. Kubiak is a great OC, and most teams will hire him as their OC in a heartbeat. Kubiak the head coach? Not so much...
Old 12-01-2010   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow I'm surprised by the serious and informative posts guys!! Lol

thanks for the history on him and his D's.

I could really see this as a way McNair could go. Just heard some talk on Phillips about what a respected guy he is.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #14
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Was listening to 610 a few minutes ago and they were discussing this. Wouldn't mind at all if we could keep the 4-3.
Old 12-01-2010   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree. It's a don't shoot the messenger thing, because another year of Kubiak is not something that gives me anything to look forward to.

I can just see McNair working this angle. He's patient like a cat, is loyal to a fault, loves him some Kubiak, marketing the "local boy" shtick - especially with Bum's son - will be too good to pass up, and I think he really believes that Kubiak is the man.

Bush is the sacrificial scapegoat to save Kubiak's butt, and it just makes sense that Wade is the logical step from a marketing standpoint.

And he probably is an improvement over Frank Bush at the end of the day, fwiw.
Thank you for articulating my thoughts. I would rep you, but the Machine is keeping me down.
Old 12-01-2010   #16
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Fwiw I did just hear Jason LaCanfora on NFL Network mention that there are a lot of quality head coaches that would like to work for Bob McNair including Bill Cowher.
Old 12-01-2010   #17
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fwiw I did just hear Jason LaCanfora on NFL Network mention that there are a lot of quality head coaches that would like to work for Bob McNair including Bill Cowher.
I guess that is the good thing about being super patient and extra loyal. Cowher knows he'll have plenty of time to mold the team exactly how he wants it to.

Any ways onto the topic I like the idea, IMO that is the only way i'll be happy if we keep Kubiak (unless Texans actually sneak in then I don't care) but the Texans should look to getting a experienced accomplished DC and that is Wade Phillips. This rumor sounds more like a guess because of Wade's roots than a "I have sources..." type of thing though.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 12-01-2010   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Could he really be any worse than what we have now? Last time he was a DC with San Diego from 04-06 his defense was ranked in the top half of the league all three seasons.
Old 12-01-2010   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't mind this move at all. He's been a pretty successful coordinator in his career. 10X better than Frank Bush.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read