Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-27-2010   #1
Atl Cav
Veteran

Rep Power: 2751 Atl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Take note in tonight's game

Two "great" QB's looking very average against strong defenses. I would put Matt Schaub up against either of those guys.
We keep asking Matt to carry the team. These two tonight got away with numerous mistakes, but they have the luxury of relying on their defense from time to time.
New Orleans won three games with scores 17 or less. The Falcons had 6 games of 20 points or less.
If we could draft/trade/sign an AVERAGE defense we would be playoff bound.
How hard can it be to be an average defense??????
Atl Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #2
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Take note in tonight's game

But but but....didnt we have an average[or close to average] defense last year?!

According to profootballreference.com, Texans last year in D ranks: 17th in points, 13th in yards
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #3
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
But but but....didnt we have an average[or close to average] defense last year?!
And no run game.

Schaub and Dre carried that offense.
Old 12-27-2010   #4
Grforces
Veteran

Section: anywhere and everywhere
Rep Power: 66 Grforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respected

Look im drinking the Schaub Kool-Aid. I think he is great and atleast top 10, with a good O line and a medicore D, he could be even better than top 10. But brees looked great tonight. He moved around that pocket so great and avoided alot of sacks.
Grforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #5
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

9,000 yards in 2 seasons and Texan fans want him gone.

haaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 12-27-2010   #6
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
And no run game.

Yeah it's one thing or another with them that seems to hold them back.

However, results the same. 5-7 after 13 weeks, no playoffs, still can't play 60 minutes of 'ball and/or close out a game.
Old 12-27-2010   #7
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Last time we played to Falcons they beat us pretty good

and last time we played the saints we beat them at home

Just sayin
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2010   #8
J_R
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Last time we played to Falcons they beat us pretty good

and last time we played the saints we beat them at home

Just sayin

1-1 against both teams.

Saints:
2003: L @ New Orleans 31-10
2007: W vs New Orleans 23-10
(And even though it didnt count, I remember that ugly 38-20 beatdown this preseason)

Falcons:
2003: W vs Atlanta 17-13
2007: L @ Atlanta 26-16
Old 12-28-2010   #9
CDNTexansFan
GloverQuinFan

Rep Power: 0 CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan CDNTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
And no run game.

+1

This years offence and last years defence would have won us the division this year.
CDNTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #10
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 31311 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl Cav View Post
Two "great" QB's looking very average against strong defenses.
sorry, but Brees's performance didn't look "average" last night. His escapability in the pocket was unbelievable at times. The fact he wasn't sacked more was indebted to that more than our OLine's performance - they looked confused on some of the defensive fronts the Falcons were showing.

And a TD erased by a killer false start (1 of 2) by our LT.

Key drops by Colston twice -

7/8 on that final 90 yard drive to 6 different receivers iirc, to win the game. Much like that SB drive.

35/49 for 302 - north of a 70% completion rate as he was forced to his second and thread intermediate and checkdown reads because the safety help being given over the top.

All against a fast D who pressured all night and stuffed our running game much of the night, forcing Brees to pass and make very quick decisions while eluding the rush.

And, at one point, they showed what he was doing against the blitz - something like 14 for 16 for 100ish yards. Again, while eluding consistent pressure.

There was a report earlier this week from an interview with Heath Evans where he mentioned that Brees was playing with some MCL damage that he refused to sideline him - and those weeks in the middle of the season he wasn't eluding the rush as he usually does. Something appeared off. That might've been it?

Also this year, he's got another NFL record - with 10 receivers with more than 20 catches. And if Bush and Thomas catch a pass next week, that's 9 with more than 30.

The Falcons have half that.

Brees spreads the ball around very well, is amazingly accurate.

Last night, the interceptions frustrated me, esp the pick 6 by the DLineman. That's 3 or 4 so far this year - might be a record, too

But watching him last night, the first word that popped into my mind was not "average." He was all our offense had most of the game.

I think a lot of the exaggeration about Schaub not being good or people wanting to get rid of him on the Texans forum is too much. He's a good QB - a very good QB - and isn't the team's problem. But I don't think he merits comparison with Brees. I don't think Matt Ryan does, either, for that matter. But I am a Saints homer so none of this probably is even close to objective.

I would take Arian Foster over Pierre Thomas. And I wouldn't put Thomas up against Foster.

I would take Andre Johnson over Marques Colston. And I wouldn't put Colston up against Johnson.

I would not, though, take Schaub over Brees. And I wouldn't put Schaub up against Brees.

And I wouldn't feel the need to qualify Brees being great with "quotation marks"

Quote:
New Orleans won three games with scores 17 or less. The Falcons had 6 games of 20 points or less.
If we could draft/trade/sign an AVERAGE defense we would be playoff bound.
The larger point, though, is something I wholeheartedly agree with. I see people draw analogues to the Falcons on these boards.

BUt the Texans remind me more of the 2006 Saints than the current Falcons team, as some people have talked about on here.

And the difference for us has been the change in our secondary since then - two shutdown corners. And a SS who can pressure the QB (probably the best on our team - our front 7 gets NO pressure). And a vet FS ballhawk teaching a future Pro Bowler - Sharper and Jenkins - at the FS position.

I think Jenkins might be the best player on our defense, actually. His pass breakup was amazing.

Putting him in nickel coverage at CB and Sharper in at FS is a terrific defensive backfield.

And the rookie we drafted in the first round at CB, Patrick Robinson, has looked very good when he's played. Looked outstanding on back to back punts on special teams last night - in the same way Jenkins did last year on ST.

We've drafted secondary in recent years in the first two rounds: Malcolm Jenkins (1st); Patrick Robinson (1st); Roman Harper (2nd); Usama Young (2nd); Tracy Porter (2nd)

That strength in the back of the defense hides a LOT of shortcomings in the front 7 where we have two players (Vilma and Ellis) a couple of other decent players (Smith, Ayodele, Brown, Hargrove) and journeymen and special teamers.

Matt Ryan had a TON of time last night and our secondary just had their receivers blanketed much of the night.

I really think that if the Texans can shore up the back end of that defense - you'll see a significant improvement, just as the Saints did and have.

The Saints secondary and our pass defense ranking is legitimate. If we'd get a BIT more pressure from the front, we'd be a top tier defense. QBs, when they get a lot of time, will beat any defensive backfield - and that's happened in games before and it's hard to watch.

Last edited by RazorOye; 12-28-2010 at 09:01 AM.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read