Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-27-2010   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Obscure Coaching Candidates

He was just fired and honestly I don't think he had a shot to win in SF. They don't have a legitimate QB and honestly, outside of Gore and maybe Crabtree, I don't know if there is anyone on their offense (maybe davis?) that starts for more than 10 or so teams in the league.

I mean lets be honest, you look at their roster and outside of Willis, is there anyone on their team that you think "Oh man, I have got to have that guy".

Just a question, I'm not necessarily endorsing it yet.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #2
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What about Mike Singletary

I like him better than Gruden. But he'd have to find the right offensive coordinator. Maybe Schaub could just be like Peyton and call the plays from the field.

...and as far as their players, Vernon Davis is pretty damn solid.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
I like him better than Gruden. But he'd have to find the right offensive coordinator. Maybe Schaub could just be like Peyton and call the plays from the field.

Why would you like Mike better than Gruden?

No thanks to Singletary.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

this thread is only about singletary as a DC surely?

dude isnt getting another HC gig anytime soon
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #5
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post

I almost put him on that list... but I watch a little of their games (not religiously but I was in the bay area for a while) and I think that he is one of those guys on the brink. He seems to dissappear though... Might just not be a good sample size or it might be reality I don't know.

Mike

Old 12-27-2010   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked the idea of Singletary, but when in-production his methods have been a resounding failure.
Old 12-27-2010   #7
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
this thread is only about singletary as a DC surely?

dude isnt getting another HC gig anytime soon
Well I'd rather seem him in a DC role but I wouldn't be opposed to a HC role.

Mike

Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2010   #8
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Singletary has never even been a DC. He was Baltimore's LB coach when the 49ers hired him. NO THANKS
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate this idea more than I can put into words (well - other than what I just said).

(oh - and I don't care whether it's Singletary as HC or DC - my statement stands)
Old 12-27-2010   #10
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

ABC is baaaaaaccccckkkk!
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #11
ThruThick&Thin
learning2forum

Rep Power: 0 ThruThick&Thin was voted MVPThruThick&Thin was voted MVPThruThick&Thin was voted MVPThruThick&Thin was voted MVP
Default What about Russ Grimm?

Does anyone else think someone like Russ Grimm would be an ideal candidate for our HC position?

Screw these big name head coaches who are full of themselves...I promise you they won't pan out! That fairy tale-hollywood-happy ending type of scenario never works out in the NFL.

I say hire a GM from a proven team and look for an ex-player/current coach type candidate for our HC.

Old 12-27-2010   #12
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I almost put him on that list... but I watch a little of their games (not religiously but I was in the bay area for a while) and I think that he is one of those guys on the brink. He seems to dissappear though... Might just not be a good sample size or it might be reality I don't know.

Mike
Or bad QB's.
Old 12-27-2010   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What about Russ Grimm?

I'm more partial to this type of plan than the Cowher/Gruden/etc. plans.

I think this is how successful organization are built, rather than going after experienced coaches who want overreaching control.

Further, the batting average of non-coordinator coaches who are hired into HC positions is substantially better.
Old 12-27-2010   #14
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThruThick&Thin View Post
Does anyone else think someone like Russ Grimm would be an ideal candidate for our HC position?

Screw these big name head coaches who are full of themselves...I promise you they won't pan out! That fairy tale-hollywood-happy ending type of scenario never works out in the NFL.

I say hire a GM from a proven team and look for an ex-player/current coach type candidate for our HC.

Welcome to the board Russ!
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThruThick&Thin View Post

Not saying he'd be the first name on my list, but I'd have no problem with this if we went in that direction.
Old 12-27-2010   #16
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Default Chuck Cecil?

As a potential HC candidate or as a DC if Fisher is fired. (I'd say Fisher for DC, but he's likely going to land another HC gig immediately)
Old 12-27-2010   #17
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see him as our defensive coordinator. The wimps on our defense need a coach with his intensity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB5-yJM3vJc
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Obscure Coaching Candidates

Not every Mike, Russ, or Chuck deserves his own thread. Post your brilliant, off-the-wall coaching suggestions here.
Old 12-27-2010   #19
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Singletary went 5-4 with the 49ers in his first season, then went 8-8 in his second. This season, with a rotating QB position, the 49ers only have six wins. If they had a QB and Gore could stay healthy, their record would no doubt be better.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well with singlertary, nobody would ever complain about the coach not having enough fire or passion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read