Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-27-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It's All In Your Mind

The Texans’ 5-10 record isn't exactly wall-worthy. As a result, Texans fans have seen both the peaks and the valleys of fan emotion.

A winning effort and fans tend to be on top of the world. But when the score swings........you can just start seeing the immediate decline in the enthusiasm. At that point, people are just going through the motions.

So why do fans put so much stock in a game?

Fans psychologically take the team and the game so personally—both the highs and the lows—as if they have a direct effect on our lives. That's because win or lose, we're addicted to winning. If we win, that makes me a winner. If we lose, oh my gosh, that makes me a loser. That's what fans do. That's what they're about.

But a playoff or championship drought plays an even greater factor. People have been desperate for so long to see a winner that they're almost looking for a reason to jump off the bandwagon because they don't want to be HURT again.

For some fans, the world is just falling apart. They aren’t looking to jump off the bandwagon........their looking for the nearest tall building.

But fear not, it’s just the psychology of your mind, fellow fans........it’s just in your mind.

For today, let your mind rest...........But please don’t forget to pack your parachute.............
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's All In Your Mind

I think it has to do with people thinking that a new franchise would be so much better than the Bud Adams Houston Oilers.

Then after 9 yrs the fans are begining to realize that the Texans (BoB McNair) aren't really any different than the (Adams) Oilers. They're just better marketers of their product.

For most fans they dont want to admit this but it's a real downer.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #3
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Very true CND. I had to consciously decide to not care too much about the Texans about the sixth or seventh week of the season because it was making me grouchy on Sunday evenings and Mondays.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Then after 9 yrs the fans are begining to realize that the Texans (BoB McNair) aren't really any different than the (Adams) Oilers. They're just better marketers of their product.
The Oilers put a better product on the field. I'm not giving Bud Adams credit. Just saying.
Old 12-27-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32527 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Oilers put a better product on the field. I'm not giving Bud Adams credit. Just saying.
There were quite a few years they did not. Back to back 3-11 seasons come to mind.
Old 12-27-2010   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
There were quite a few years they did not. Back to back 3-11 seasons come to mind.
Yeah, but they were clearly on the right track....
Old 12-27-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32527 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I hope it's a different track than the ones the Texans are on. Bud has been riding that train to nowhere for 47 years now.
Old 12-27-2010   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think you'll find a 9 year span of the Houston Oilers that has been as bad as the Houston Texans.
Old 12-27-2010   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me that McNair keeps Kubiak antipating the retrobutive lower number of seats being occupied "the following year." At the same time banking that there will be no loss of revenues due to the anticipation of no need to fill those seats next year (lockout).
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #10
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think you'll find a 9 year span of the Houston Oilers that has been as bad as the Houston Texans.
From '65 thru '73 the Oilers went 38-83-5
From '82 thru '90 the Oilers went 53-83 (82 only had 9 games due to strike, they were 1-8 that year).

I think both those stretches were worse than what we've seen with the Texans.
Old 12-27-2010   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 279120 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From '82 thru '90 the Oilers went 53-83 (82 only had 9 games due to strike, they were 1-8 that year).

I think both those stretches were worse than what we've seen with the Texans.
The Texans are 54-89, so they are not that far off, especially the '82-'90 stretch.

And remember, the Oilers bookended that stretch with badass teams that went to the playoffs for many years in a row (both ends).
Old 12-27-2010   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The Texans are 54-89, so they are not that far off, especially the '82-'90 stretch.

And remember, the Oilers bookended that stretch with badass teams that went to the playoffs for many years in a row (both ends).
Yep! The point is that most franchises have had long periods of extreme suckiness.

The Pittsburgh Steelers went 25-72-6 in their first 9 seasons.

I'm hoping our next 9 will put us well over the .500 mark
Old 12-27-2010   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 279120 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep! The point is that most franchises have had long periods of extreme suckiness.

The Pittsburgh Steelers went 25-72-6 in their first 9 seasons.

I'm hoping our next 9 will put us well over the .500 mark
Unfortunately, our period of extreme suckiness is called franchise history.
Old 12-27-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Unfortunately, our period of extreme suckiness is called franchise history.
Perhaps this is one of the This too shall pass thingy's.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.
Old 12-27-2010   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Perhaps this is one of the This too shall pass thingy's.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.
I hope so. I've got some neighbors that moved in after losing their home to Katrina. Obviously, they are Saints fans, and I was happy to celebrate with them last February when their team finally won it all.

When I get down about the Texans, they remind me of their first 20 years without a winning season, much less a playoff appearance.

Unfortunately, this pep talk doesn't cheer me up, but rather makes me want to break my sobriety as I do the math in my head that we only have 11 more years to go...
Old 12-27-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Unfortunately, this pep talk doesn't cheer me up, but rather makes me want to break my sobriety as I do the math in my head that we only have 11 more years to go...

Damn DB!!! Now I have to start my buzz all over again!
Old 12-28-2010   #18
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It wasn't from a lack of effort though. The coaches just didn't do a good job of putting players in the right positions to make plays.
Old 12-28-2010   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope so. I've got some neighbors that moved in after losing their home to Katrina. Obviously, they are Saints fans, and I was happy to celebrate with them last February when their team finally won it all.

When I get down about the Texans, they remind me of their first 20 years without a winning season, much less a playoff appearance.

Sooo, we ARE on the right track then....Keep up the good work Kubiak and Co., y'all are doing a heck of a job
Old 12-29-2010   #20
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm on board with the Wade Phillips rumor now.

Does anyone know what stage of grief I'm in?
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read