Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2010   #1
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8156 texansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to texansdrummer
Default Well......what do you really want?

An interesting stat that none other than Jerry Jones brought up....is that there has NEVER been a coach that took two teams to the SB.

As a Texans fan.....do you really want to take your chances vs. the odds? Haven't we seen enough about how that's bound to play out?

Do you still want Cowher? Gruden? Johnson? (greatly assuming ANY of them would be interested).

If you're McNair (or Kubiak.... assuming he's around after next week.), do you choose to blow up one of the leading offenses in the league and start from scratch, on both sides.....or do you acknowledge that no matter how good of an offense you have, they can't be expected to score 30+ points a game in order to have a chance to win?

I'm merely presenting this for rational discusion......personally, I think that the offense is capable of anything that should be reasonably necessary of a playoff-caliber team.

Our defense blows......but I'm hesitant to give up the offense to correct this. I hope Kubes and RS get this......if not, well, they need to ga ASAP.

I don't want to start from scratch again.......despite an enormous amount of negative things that have gone down, it could be worse.

Consult the facts/history.....and be careful what you wish for.
texansdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #2
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Well......what do you really want?

Didn't Purcells do it?
Old 12-26-2010   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

No head coach has ever WON Super Bowls with two different teams, but several have taken different teams to the Super Bowl.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #4
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansdrummer View Post
An interesting stat that none other than Jerry Jones brought up....is that there has NEVER been a coach that took two teams to the SB.

As a Texans fan.....do you really want to take your chances vs. the odds? Haven't we seen enough about how that's bound to play out?

Do you still want Cowher? Gruden? Johnson? (greatly assuming ANY of them would be interested).

If you're McNair (or Kubiak.... assuming he's around after next week.), do you choose to blow up one of the leading offenses in the league and start from scratch, on both sides.....or do you acknowledge that no matter how good of an offense you have, they can't be expected to score 30+ points a game in order to have a chance to win?
Wins.
Old 12-26-2010   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Here ya go.

Quote:
No Head Coach Won Super Bowls with 2 different teams, BUT 5 have led 2 different teams to the Super Bowl.

Don Shula, Colts & Miami
Bill Parcells, Giants & Patriots
Dick Vermeil, Eagles & Rams
Dan Reeves, Broncos & Falcons
Mike Holmgren, Packers & Seahawks
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_NFL_...ifferent_teams

Old 12-26-2010   #6
Hoss
i need a beer..

Rep Power: 445 Hoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Hoss

i'll say this..there's no way in hell JJ gets outta that chair to come here.H said last year he likes that gig to much.

sig-False Start
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #7
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

1) Yes, I'm willing to take a chance on another coach - even one that has already won a Super Bowl.

2) Why do people assume that our offense has to be totally blown up? We still have some good pieces on offense, including guys named Andre Johnson, Arian Foster and Matt Schaub. These guys still have gas left in the tank. Arian's career is just taking off.

Sorry, but if the Atlanta Falcons can grind out TWELVE WINS just a couple of years after being a terrible team and hiring a new coach, we can work towards the same thing with a new staff.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2010   #8
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3739 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

So ur saying that because no coach has won a super bowl with 2 diff teams then that makes hiring a gruden or cow her somehow "against the odds"? I wonder how many SB winning head coaches have switched teams after their win? Can't be more than 10. So ur implying that If we play the odds that at least 1 in 10 head coaches in the NFL win a super bowl thus making it risky for us to hire a SB winner? Your argument is terribly flawed as is Jerral Jones'
Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #9
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8156 texansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Yeah, I looked it up....You are 100% correct. It WAS JJ that said it.....my bad for taking that with any grain of salt. Glad he's not our owner.

Are you saying a third is not more unlikely? LOL......

I stand corrected......but still - it's very rare.

The point remains the same.....although somewhat diluted.

Continue on............
Old 12-26-2010   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Yeah, I looked it up....You are 100% correct. It WAS JJ that said it.....my bad for taking that with any grain of salt.

Are you saying a third is not more unlikely? LOL......

I stand corrected......but still - it's very rare.

The point remains the same.....although somewhat diluted.

Continue on............
No biggie. Getting a new HC with experience that can get us into the playoffs will suit me just fine. I do want a Super Bowl win, that's for sure. Just because no one has done it yet with two different teams doesn't mean that no one ever will.

Old 12-26-2010   #11
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

So you don't want to change Kubiak because of the offense and how good it is?(different topic for a different thread but I digress) Sorry, imo, that is not a good enough reason to keep Kubiak around for a 6th year. Yes, perhaps there would be a dropoff from an offensive standpoint if a new guy came in. How much? I'm not sure. Maybe there isnt one. We just dont know but again, that is not a good enough reason imo to keep Kubiak around for another year.

And this "I don't want to start from scratch again", I have a hard time understanding that when people say that. Start from scratch? Why do we have to start from scratch? Other teams have changed coaches and had success for the most part within the first 3 years. Why do we have to press the reset button? This doesnt need to be blown up, not to me anyways.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #12
Grforces
Veteran

Section: anywhere and everywhere
Rep Power: 67 Grforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respected

LMAO!! You guys are thinking superbowl? Im getting that Cours light commercial stuck in my head reading this thread. Replace playoffs with superbowl? Superbowl? Superbowl?
Superbowl is the goal at the end of the day but, How about we get to the playoffs first. I'll take any coach that can get us into the playoffs consistently, afc championship games, etc etc. To be thinking superbowl with a 5-10 record is ridicoulous.
Grforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #13
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans need to get to the playoffs before we start worrying about Super Bowl wins. Right now I would take Gruden as you can see with my avatar, but heck anyone, even Cowher will do!
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #14
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3739 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

In other words I am supremely confident that the odds against a previous super bowl winning coach winning another with a different team are not lower than the odds of any other potential head coach winning a SB. There just haven't been enough of them. If cow her came here and won a SB then the first groups odds would in increase from 0% to well over 10%. Then find out the total coaches in NFL history and divide by the # that have won it all. Guarantee you that # is minuscule.
Old 12-26-2010   #15
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grforces View Post
LMAO!! You guys are thinking superbowl? Im getting that Cours light commercial stuck in my head reading this thread. Replace playoffs with superbowl? Superbowl? Superbowl?
Superbowl is the goal at the end of the day but, How about we get to the playoffs first. I'll take any coach that can get us into the playoffs consistently, afc championship games, etc etc. To be thinking superbowl with a 5-10 record is ridicoulous.
There are legions of fans here who expect nothing less....and arguably, instantly.

I'm not willing to put myself in that category, per se, but if it happened, I wouldn't pose any opposition.

I'm also a realist.

I just posted this in order to invoke a discussion. I don't really care if you agree or disagree as long as the discussion is based upon basic reason.
Old 12-26-2010   #16
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterday View Post
In other words I am supremely confident that the odds against a previous super bowl winning coach winning another with a different team are not lower than the odds of any other potential head coach winning a SB. There just haven't been enough of them. If cow her came here and won a SB then the first groups odds would in increase from 0% to well over 10%. Then find out the total coaches in NFL history and divide by the # that have won it all. Guarantee you that # is minuscule.
How "lucky" vs. various odds do you think we've been this season? Being ahead with time left, etc. what not.

Are dismissing the "unlucky" part of our past in favor of assuming that we can be "lucky" in the future?

Who is your horseshoe/lucky charm?
Old 12-26-2010   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

At the start of every football season the goal is to win the Super Bowl. Why compete if that isn't the goal? I know the Texans are a ways away from that, but why can't it be the goal? It should be the goal.

As to no coach ever winning a SB with two different teams, no one ever climbed Mt. Everst until someone did. No one ever went to the moon until someone did. There's always a first time for everything.

Old 12-26-2010   #18
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Before last season no coach had ever won a Super Bowl with the New Orleans Saints. What does that tell you? There is a first time for everything.

Not hiring a coach that has previously won a SB because of that stat is pretty absurd. All that tells me is that someone is due.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #19
Yesterday
Veteran

Quote:
How "lucky" vs. various odds do you think we've been this season? Being ahead with time left, etc. what not.

Are dismissing the "unlucky" part of our past in favor of assuming that we can be "lucky" in the future?

Who is your horseshoe/lucky charm?

Bill Cowher is my lucky charm. We haven't just been unlucky in missing the playoffs-we've made bad decisions.
Old 12-26-2010   #20
Grforces
Veteran

Section: anywhere and everywhere
Rep Power: 67 Grforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are legions of fans here who expect nothing less....and arguably, instantly.

I'm not willing to put myself in that category, per se, but if it happened, I wouldn't pose any opposition.

I'm also a realist.

I just posted this in order to invoke a discussion. I don't really care if you agree or disagree as long as the discussion is based upon basic reason.
Din't mean to dog your premise or belittle someones arguement. Sure superbowl is the goal, yes that would be great. But, as it stands right now, most of our team haven't even been to the playoffs. When is the last time the oilers made it to the playoffs? This town hasen't seen their football team in the playoffs for too long of a time.
To win the Superbowl you have to make it to the playoffs. So while its been years and still have not made it there, just seems a little silly to be talking about the superbowl, when we can't even look respectable on a monday night game. (to flustered, shakey in the spotlight)
Like I said before, i'll take any coach that can get us to the playoffs consistanly, and gets our team that veteran status they need to be successful enough to win a Superbowl.
Grforces is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read