Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What do the Texans do?
Re-sign Corey Bradford 12 10.17%
Address the #2 spot in the draft 63 53.39%
Start Derick Armstrong 31 26.27%
Look for a quality free agent 12 10.17%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2005   #61
Trapped
Veteran

Mark Clayton alongside Dre' Johnson would be like

Burress/Ward, Muhammed/Smith, Peanut Butter/Jelly.

Trade down to like 22, say the Ravens want Troy Williamson really bad at 13 because they know the Panthers will immediately pick him at 14 the Ravens trade up, then we draft Mark Clayton at 22 and pick up a late 3rd(84). PLZ.

That, or draft Courtney Roby with one of our 3rd round pick. Roby looks like Torry Holt pt.2.

EDIT: i also wouldn't be mad at pick troy williamson at 13 either. If u guys watched that highlight tape put by his agent, i really like him as a pro. If anything we have an insight on how good he is by just asking Dunta Robinson how tough was he to defend in practice.

Last edited by Trapped; 04-07-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005   #62
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
I don't know why it's not commented on more around here, but for the early part of the 2004 season, the Texans were near the top in offensive prodution for at least a few weeks.
Yes they were. In fact, the rather dramatic drop in production in the passing game from the first half of the season to the second half prompted speculation that David had suffered some sort of shoulder injury, hence his passing was off. This was denied by the FO, but regardless, there was a marked difference. If they can maintain that sort of output and DD run well, not fumble and do it for the season, this team will be a seriouse offensive unit. We will need a THREAT at the two spot to take pressure off of AJ. I like the idea of another big burner type, but what is really needed is a playmaker that gets open and catches the ball. Could that be Armstrong or Starling???? Could be, but I suspect that the coaching staff would have used them in the 2 role at least some last year to do a test drive on them if they thought they would work out. I think we draft a WR for the 2 spot, but what is unclear to me, is where in the draft.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #63
Gilly
Rookie

Default #2

IMO this was the absolute worst FA year the Texans have had yet. the delima that we have placed ourselfs in going into draft day is terrible. We are in desprite need of a #2 WR and HALF an O-line. I dont think our FA moves improved the team at all. Granted its not any worse but it is not the point of the off season to simply maintane.

Hears the big delima; 1) If we Take a WR at the #13 spot then as usuall DC spends 50% of his time on the feild on his back not having time to throw the ball to our flashy new player at the #2 spot. This could be the reason Bradford was never that productive. no one is going to make an impact with the peice of swiss cheese we call a line.

2)If we draft a O- lineman at #13 DC still only has one proven WR to throw the ball to. All the other team will have to do is Double or even Triple AJ and put the game on the shoulders of DD, which is not all that bad of a plan. Gafeny wont cut it, Armstrong showed good promise and would be like a Ricki Prowl at the #3 spot. But we would still lack that one guy to complement AJ's game.

sorry about the negativity,just calling what I see.
As it stands now I think we go 6-10 next year, but I would love to be proved wrong and make the playoffs.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #64
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Gilly, the biggest problem I see with that is it assumes zero improvement by Wand/Pitts at positions they played for the 1st time last year and assumes Weigert and Wade (who has historically been very durable) will be hamstrung by niggling injuries most of next season again, and that working together as a unit in the won't pay any benefits either in pass protection or from a their 1st year of experience zone blocking. Seems unrealistic IMO. Will they turn into the KC Chiefs OL?--not friggin likely, but they should improve.
Old 04-08-2005   #65
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

To draft a WR or not ... well, it depends on who's there. If Williamson is off the board and we're still picking #13, I have a hard time seeing us grab Clayton there. I can't see us trading up for Williamson either. So the only way we get a receiver in the first is to trade WAY up for Edwards or Mike Williams, trade down, or hope Williamson makes it past San Diego at #12.

To the guy talking about needing immediate O-Line help, do you actually think Barron (or Barnes for that matter) would actually be better than Wand THIS year? I don't see that.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #66
Gilly
Rookie

Infantrycak, I hope you are right and than I am wrong. I just frustrates me to watch a 3 or 4 man rush man handle our O-line like it did last year. As soon as we get behind and have to pass it just every thing would fall apart. I simply feel that at least one of these areas should have been filled through FA, then the other through the draft then we should be set to make a playoff run.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #67
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The Texans actually have a more talented O-line than a team like San Diego. The Chargers, though, went into more "max protect mode". I think we need to adjust our pass-protection some.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2005   #68
canadiantexan
Veteran

if we had released sharper/foreman earlier could we have made a play for mushin mohhomed(no idea how to spell his name) .I know its in the past but the guy could have helped us
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #69
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantexan
if we had released sharper/foreman earlier could we have made a play for mushin mohhomed(no idea how to spell his name) .I know its in the past but the guy could have helped us

yeah but he is in his 10th season, and this organization dont seem to like to bring in older players, we are a more build through the draft kinda team. plus he woulda wanted a good $dollar$ if we would have gotten him.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #70
canadiantexan
Veteran

You make a good point about the age and money just thought i'd throw it out there, actually I like Williamsonin the first or maybe matt jones in the second.

Only fan in canada (that I know of)
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #71
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantexan
You make a good point about the age and money just thought i'd throw it out there, actually I like Williamsonin the first or maybe matt jones in the second.

Only fan in canada (that I know of)

haha we have a few more fans on the board from canada, only because the texans have gotten some players from the canadian league, i think parsons and a few other guys, so they try to follow those guys. and about M.M i wouldnt mind havinf him he's a good reciever, but our front office has never seemd big on signing to many older vets !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #72
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Parsons
Derrick Armstrong
Tim Cheatwood

to name a few.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #73
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Parsons
Derrick Armstrong
Tim Cheatwood

to name a few.
You forgot Garrick Jones...There may be a couple more who I'm not thinking of right now...
Old 04-09-2005   #74
Grizzled
Rookie

Charlie Clemons was a CFLer too. Whatís Parsonís first name? I donít recognize that name off the top of my head. There are roughly 40 ex-CFLers currently in the NFL, which is quite a few considering the CFL is a 9 team league with a lot of veteran players who are in their late 20's and early 30's and probably too old to be of interest to the NFL.

Itís good to see Armstrong doing well for the Texans. I knew he would and Iím happy for him, but it was hard to see him go too. I am happy for him though. I think heís from a pretty humble background and he was pretty raw and seemed a bit like a deer in headlights when he first came to us, but heís a hard worker and steadily improved his game his whole time with us. If he keeps that up Iím sure he will be a solid starter for you. My guess is that his speed is in the 4.5 range, but he is also a big, fluid, athlete with a good vertical who can go up for the ball with a DB and be the one to come down with it.
Grizzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #75
mean mark8
Veteran

I don't think we need an early round WR with incredible speed to take pressure off of AJ. As I recall, Jerry Rice's 40 time at the combine was ~4.6 and Steve Largent was definitely a 4.6 (or maybe a bit slower in later years) wide receiver. I think we would kill to have either of them in their prime on our team. Of course, Largent was released by the Cowboys early in his career, if I'm not mistaken. I think we need to give Armstrong and Gaffney a chance to step up this year. Whoever shows the play-making ability gets the job. Let's face it, if Carr gets pressure like he has the 1st 3 yrs, he's only going to look to AJ then DD anyway.
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #76
Grizzled
Rookie

Also, Michael Jenkins and Albert Johnson were CFLers. They were signed by the Texans but I donít think either one of them made your team. Jenkins came back to the CFL (Toronto) but it was discovered that he developed serious arthritis in his ankle and he was cut. He has signed with Montreal this year so weíll see if heís got that problem worked out somehow. Johnson hasnít been back. He was a very good player but heís small and was somewhat injury prone even in the big field CFL game, so he was never a great NFL prospect for size and durability reasons.

edit: RE: Jenkins. I think his problem was arthritis but Iím not sure of that. It was an ankle injury anyway.
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?Id=115376

Last edited by Grizzled; 04-09-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Grizzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #77
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean mark8
I don't think we need an early round WR with incredible speed to take pressure off of AJ. As I recall, Jerry Rice's 40 time at the combine was ~4.6 and Steve Largent was definitely a 4.6 (or maybe a bit slower in later years) wide receiver. I think we would kill to have either of them in their prime on our team. Of course, Largent was released by the Cowboys early in his career, if I'm not mistaken. I think we need to give Armstrong and Gaffney a chance to step up this year. Whoever shows the play-making ability gets the job. Let's face it, if Carr gets pressure like he has the 1st 3 yrs, he's only going to look to AJ then DD anyway.
but Jerry and Largent were primary receivers for most of their careers, and had speedsters opposite of them, and say we dont draft a WR high and leave it up to Armstrong and Gaff and whoever is best can have the number 2 spot (i dont agree with it) then we will just have the better out of the two, but maybe not a receiver that should be playing the 2 spot, meaning that just because one does better than the other, doesnt mean either of them have the capability to be a #2 receiver. let em compete sure, but they most likely will compete with eachother for the slot position.... and ya he throws a lot to AJ and DD, they are the only two constants, and AJ has a tough time getting open when he is getting tripled cuz teams dont respect bradford, gaffney, or armstrong. carr cant wait for a receiver to get open, the line isnt the greatest, so by the time he checks down his receivers, if they are not open he cant wait for them to creat anything, cuz the second he does he is adding to his sack total, so he has to dump it off to DD
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #78
outofhnd
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
but Jerry and Largent were primary receivers for most of their careers, and had speedsters opposite of them, and say we dont draft a WR high and leave it up to Armstrong and Gaff and whoever is best can have the number 2 spot (i dont agree with it) then we will just have the better out of the two, but maybe not a receiver that should be playing the 2 spot, meaning that just because one does better than the other, doesnt mean either of them have the capability to be a #2 receiver. let em compete sure, but they most likely will compete with eachother for the slot position.... and ya he throws a lot to AJ and DD, they are the only two constants, and AJ has a tough time getting open when he is getting tripled cuz teams dont respect bradford, gaffney, or armstrong. carr cant wait for a receiver to get open, the line isnt the greatest, so by the time he checks down his receivers, if they are not open he cant wait for them to creat anything, cuz the second he does he is adding to his sack total, so he has to dump it off to DD
So if Carr doesnt have the time was it a speedster in the draft goin to do that Bradford didnt do last year? We dont have the time to wait for a speedster to get open on a hail mary route. The reason i like gaffney and armstrong is they run good routes they find holes in the zone and catch the ball. We dont need another Homerun threat here.

What we need is a guy that makes 1st downs. We need recievers that run good underneath routes and can find holes in the zone and move the chains. AJ is our Reciever but they can't double him forever if Gaffney or Armstrong keep moving the chains. Those recievers know the playbook Gaffney even more so. I think he will do fine. I just think until we get great protection and a productive tight end, We need a 10 yard out reciever in our #2 slot.

Unless we land Matt Jones, Then we can give the defense tons of different looks with Jones in the lineup he can line up at TE, WR, or a RB in a full house backfield. A tight end will help a lot becuae that is a huge key for the defense. I bet we get better protection when the defense does not know what the play call is. That could be a reason our O line looks so terrible too. They know when Breuner is on the field to just hold the line of scrimmage. When Miller is out there pass rush.

A TE will make this offense work more than a 1st round #2 WR. Utilize what we have here already at WR, and hope that Joppru this year can actually play on the field. or that we draft a good TE in this years draft, which is easier said than done.
Old 04-09-2005   #79
Trapped
Veteran

Mark Clayton in my opinion is still the ideal player to play alongside dre.
1. U want a guy who can stretch the feild, his 4.4 speed can.
2. U want a guy who can run great short routes, he can.
3. U want a guy who can catch through traffic, he can.

Granted Troy Williamson will probably be a Javon Walker, or Chad Johnson because he is very raw,(those two also didn't start off their careers as very productive wr's, but look at them now) and can really improve to be a true number 1. I don't think he will fit well with a number 2 role with the Texans.

Even though i think Troy Williamson is a better pro prospect than Clayton, i think Clayton can provide us with his talents now. He complements Dre, and the duo can be very effective for alot of years to come.

Of course i would only want Mark Clayton in a trade down with the Cowboys, whom i think really wants Troy Williamson.

Last edited by Trapped; 04-09-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #80
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
So if Carr doesnt have the time was it a speedster in the draft goin to do that Bradford didnt do last year? We dont have the time to wait for a speedster to get open on a hail mary route. The reason i like gaffney and armstrong is they run good routes they find holes in the zone and catch the ball. We dont need another Homerun threat here.

What we need is a guy that makes 1st downs. We need recievers that run good underneath routes and can find holes in the zone and move the chains. AJ is our Reciever but they can't double him forever if Gaffney or Armstrong keep moving the chains. Those recievers know the playbook Gaffney even more so. I think he will do fine. I just think until we get great protection and a productive tight end, We need a 10 yard out reciever in our #2 slot.

Unless we land Matt Jones, Then we can give the defense tons of different looks with Jones in the lineup he can line up at TE, WR, or a RB in a full house backfield. A tight end will help a lot becuae that is a huge key for the defense. I bet we get better protection when the defense does not know what the play call is. That could be a reason our O line looks so terrible too. They know when Breuner is on the field to just hold the line of scrimmage. When Miller is out there pass rush.

A TE will make this offense work more than a 1st round #2 WR. Utilize what we have here already at WR, and hope that Joppru this year can actually play on the field. or that we draft a good TE in this years draft, which is easier said than done.
Matt Jones is a very good athlete, he hasnt even played one down as a receiver in a real college game, so lets not get to hyped on him, he will take a few seasons before he could become a WR or TE, if he does at all.

And the slot receiver which armstrong and gaffney both play now, serves the purpose of getting under defenses and disecting them.; not the #2 spot. the number 2 needs to be a homerun threat, to stretch the field, which allows our number 1 and 3 receivers better chances underneath if the defense does get stretched, and if not then we have a deep WR that carr can hit deep.

Joppru is our TE, if he will be healthy, and we definatly are not drafting a TE number at 13.
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read