Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What do the Texans do?
Re-sign Corey Bradford 12 10.17%
Address the #2 spot in the draft 63 53.39%
Start Derick Armstrong 31 26.27%
Look for a quality free agent 12 10.17%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2005   #21
Civil
Rookie

I voted for starting Armstrong cause we share the same birthday.

Long term I would like to see another physical WR (like Johnson) brought in via free agency or addressed in the draft. I also agree that the TE should be utilized alot more. Hopefully Joppru will be healthy. heh
Civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #22
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
3a: kevin burnett
3b: Luis Castillo
No way those guys are there. If they fell that far I would scream like a girl.

Back on topic, I would like us to get a burner who could cover kick return duties as well. Maybe in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #23
THEFUTURE
All Pro

for a couple months i have pushed for Mike Williams, but now after reading about this kid, Troy Williamson out of South Carolina sounds like a very smart move, blazing speed with a 4.37 40, and is good in the red zone, i havent heard to many knocks on him

Last edited by THEFUTURE; 04-06-2005 at 06:44 PM.
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #24
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

The number 2 spot is Gaffney's to lose right now, IMO...
Old 04-06-2005   #25
THEFUTURE
All Pro

i think gaffney is stuck as the 3 no matter what, its either armstrong or were picking up someone in the draft, gaffney is to good at picking apart zones, and struggles with man coverage
Old 04-06-2005   #26
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
Troy Williamson out of South Carolina sounds like a very smart move, blazing speed with a 4.37 40
That can spread an offense....and after some research, Jabar ran a 4.5 40.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #27
THEFUTURE
All Pro

good to know, its not like a 4.5 is bad, but williamson is faster and had a knack for making plays in the red zone, which we want from our 2 receiver
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2005   #28
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Williamson ran a 4.37
Gaff ran a 4.5

So, theoretically, Williamson will be 45.7 yards downfield in 5 seconds (the best protection time possible) and Gaff will be 44.4 yards down the field. That's a big difference.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #29
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim
Default Armstrong in the 2...

I gotta believe that DArmstrong, given the reps consistantly could turn out to be our 2. Exactly what is his "knock" anyhow? I've seen this kid make circus catch after circus catch. I know he played some CFL ball & was killin' folks up there & while the CFL is not the NFL, IMHFO he seems like he'd blossum into what we need. Also on the TE thing, I'm like a lot of other people here by thinking that a solid TE could take some of the focus off of 'Dre. I'd LOVE to see BJoppru make some sort of impact this season. Wasn't he like an early 2nd rounder? Oh & on the David Boston thing someone mentioned earlier in this thread, don't even get me started on this clown. He freakin laid off practices cuz he got his nipples pierced & they hurt. Jeez-Louise, what a candy-***.
Old 04-06-2005   #30
outofhnd
All Pro

I say its Gaff unless Armstrong has just a phenominal camp this year.

I think either of them would be great.

We don't need a blazing speed demon to break double coverage on andre, we just need a #2 reciever that catches the ball and moves the chains. Sooner or later the coverage will have to roll to that side of the field.

Carr would do better because this would establish a rhythmn instead of trying to air it out to some speedster. Bradford and Carr didn't connect on the bomb route a single time.

I like Armstrong more than Gaff potential wise but i havent seen enough of him to put him in the #2 at this point.

But gaff makes the catches & runs excellent routes. We have no real underneath recieving threat unless the TE position just explodes with Joppru or some Rookie this year.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #31
LBblitz
Veteran

I am with YoungTexanFan with Matt Jones at #2 and gaf vs. armstrong for the slot postion. i personnaly like armstrong at the slot.
Old 04-06-2005   #32
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

So, you are going to give Matt Jones the WR job??? The guy that didnt play a down at WR during his college career. And you are going to give Armstrong the slot while Gaff had a better season then him last year??? Makes perfect sense to me.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #33
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I just saw Bradford on Fox 26 and he said that he probably won't sign anywhere until after the draft and the Texans, Lions, and Titans have all showed interest...I think if we don't get a guy in the draft, Bradford will get a 1 year deal to do what he does, which is, "To take a 5 yard pass and turn it into an 80 yard touchdown" to quote him directly...
Old 04-06-2005   #34
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

personally i think Armstrong could make a good #2 guy for us, i mean he may not have GREAT speed but runs very good routes and always seems to get open, he also has very good hands. And defenses will take notice of that amd even though he may not be able to out run the ball down the field, his ability to get open will/should take some of the pressure off of Johnnson ! And i dont consider Gaffney because he is such a great slot reciever, and always comes through for us on 3rd downs !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #35
outofhnd
All Pro

How many times has that happened? 3 times over the time spent here?

Well if Gaff moves in to the #2 why not put armstrong at slot im curious to see what the guy can do full-time. If he plays outstanding, then consider him as the number 2 guy.

Armstrong has some real good intangibles like field awareness, When he catches the ball its like he knows where the 1st down marker is and make sure he stretches or touches his feet on the sideline past the marker. I would like to see us give him a shot, It would suck if we didn't give him a full time job release him and he shines with Jacksonville or another division foe.

Id hate for us to bring back Bradford, he seems inept if the pass play doesnt involve him outrunning the coverage. Otherwise we would have thrown the hitch route his way as well as AJ's, I don't think we resign him unless we feel that Gaff and Armstong would have a hard time at that spot.

And just because Gaff is a great slot reciever don't doom him to play there the rest of his career, What if he does better at the #2 than he did in the slot? I say give to gaffney first, hes earned the shot at that position. then let Armstrong or whoever challenge him for it
Old 04-06-2005   #36
HoustonLionsFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I just saw Bradford on Fox 26 and he said that he probably won't sign anywhere until after the draft and the Texans, Lions, and Titans have all showed interest...
Sorry I'm off topic, but that is just crazy. His value goes down after the draft. Crazy I tell ya...

I'm not sure what WILL happen, or even what would be best, but I think the Texans look at Troy in the draft (assuming Williams is gone, and knowing Edwards will be gone), since the rumor of developing the Oline already in house has been put out there.
HoustonLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #37
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Quite the optimist. So a 2nd day guy is going to come in and beat Gaffney, Armstrong, Thomas and Starling out and perform better than Bradford so teams role coverage away from AJ? Somehow that doesn't seem real likely.
Hell, I don't know

I still think the F.O. will draft a WR in the later rounds though.

And we will never know if a rookie WR can come in and make an immediate impact to this team because it will be completely up to that player.

We are only spectators, but some people tend to forget that sometimes
Old 04-06-2005   #38
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
How many times has that happened? 3 times over the time spent here?

Well if Gaff moves in to the #2 why not put armstrong at slot im curious to see what the guy can do full-time. If he plays outstanding, then consider him as the number 2 guy.

Armstrong has some real good intangibles like field awareness, When he catches the ball its like he knows where the 1st down marker is and make sure he stretches or touches his feet on the sideline past the marker. I would like to see us give him a shot, It would suck if we didn't give him a full time job release him and he shines with Jacksonville or another division foe.

Id hate for us to bring back Bradford, he seems inept if the pass play doesnt involve him outrunning the coverage. Otherwise we would have thrown the hitch route his way as well as AJ's, I don't think we resign him unless we feel that Gaff and Armstong would have a hard time at that spot.

And just because Gaff is a great slot reciever don't doom him to play there the rest of his career, What if he does better at the #2 than he did in the slot? I say give to gaffney first, hes earned the shot at that position. then let Armstrong or whoever challenge him for it

only thing i'll miss about bradford is his speed, but its not like our o-line ever really gives carr enough time to let bradford beat the secondary so we can get him the long ball, because them type of AIR IT OUT PLAYS take more than a 3 step drop and carr dont have the privledge of having the kinda time needed to give bradford the long ball !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #39
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I just saw Bradford on Fox 26 and he said that he probably won't sign anywhere until after the draft and the Texans, Lions, and Titans have all showed interest...
Wow, I just realized how horrible my verbage was here...My apologies, guys...Anyway, I think what's going on (pure speculation alert) is that the offers he has received were all in the same ballpark, so he wants to see which teams take a receiver high in the draft, that way he'll be able to go where he gets the most PT...Either that or there aren't any offers on the table ...
Old 04-06-2005   #40
outofhnd
All Pro

I would say it is the latter option with a lot of WR available in the draft alot if teams have not really looked at FA WR. business will pick up after the Draft.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read