Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What do the Texans do?
Re-sign Corey Bradford 12 10.17%
Address the #2 spot in the draft 63 53.39%
Start Derick Armstrong 31 26.27%
Look for a quality free agent 12 10.17%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2005   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default The #2 Reciever Spot

So what do the Texans do with the void in the #2 reciever spot?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #2
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers

I think it's gonna be addressed in the later rounds through the draft.
Old 04-06-2005   #3
dagr8whitehope
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to dagr8whitehope
Default bradford

i think bradford was a very serviceable number 2 receiver, but at times his speed was a liability as he would outrun balls or overrun some routes. Gaffney has shown good hands and decent speed and just needs more of an opportunity to get some throws his way. By moving gaffney to the number 2 slot, we can then put armstrong in the slot and have good speed at all spots on the field. overall, Gaffney is the best option the texans have to play the 2nd spot opposite johnson. More balls gaffney's way would lead to a decrease in double teams on andre and a better overall offensive attack.
Old 04-06-2005   #4
texansalltheway
Rookie

I would still be interested in bringing in David Boston, Yeah I know he has off the field problems, the steriod thing and, being hurt, and I know the 49'ers want him, but he is still an athletic freak that could be a good compliment to AJ.
texansalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Well I voted for getting a #2 WR in the draft, but the option I'd rather have is a #2 WR by committee. Basically we'd switch Gaffney/Armstrong/Starling and/or whatever WR we grab from the draft. They each bring a unique trait to the table, and depending upon the situation they'd each make a good #2 WR. In a 3rd and long scenario a #2 WR that can stretch the field would be best (Starling/"Williamson"). In a 2nd or 3rd and short Gaffney might be a better #2 WR since he's very good at run blocking and running short precise routes. Armstrong seems to have a good combination of great hands and good speed, and he might eventually be the true #2 WR. However, it may take him more time to develop into a consistant deep threat.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

So why isnt Gaffney an option????

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #7
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing that worries me about putting Gaffney at the #2 spot, is that he doesn't have lightning speed to spread an offense. Bradford was extremely fast, yet most of the defensive secondary's that we faced were still rolling their safteys to Johnson's side.
Whomever takes that #2 spot, needs to have excellent speed to where Johnson isn't getting double teamed all the time.
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2005   #8
TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
So why isnt Gaffney an option????
Gaffney would be assumed to roll into the #2 spot with Derick Armstrong starting. Thats why I didn't post him.
Old 04-06-2005   #9
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Gaffney would be assumed to roll into the #2 spot with Derick Armstrong starting. Thats why I didn't post him.
Oh ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
The only thing that worries me about putting Gaffney at the #2 spot, is that he doesn't have lightning speed to spread an offense. Bradford was extremely fast, yet most of the defensive secondary's that we faced were still rolling their safteys to Johnson's side.
Whomever takes that #2 spot, needs to have excellent speed to where Johnson isn't getting double teamed all the time.
Gaff, even without lighting speed, led the team last year in yards per catch (around 15) and had the longest play from scrimmage (vs. Bears, around 65 yards)

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #10
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

I say we use our #13 pick on a good quality WR, unless there are already 5 taken before us leaving us with just a bundle of players to pick from. It would be wise in which we wouldn't have to pay the player very much for the first season and that would be a nice advantage to have.
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss
I think it's gonna be addressed in the later rounds through the draft.
Quite the optimist. So a 2nd day guy is going to come in and beat Gaffney, Armstrong, Thomas and Starling out and perform better than Bradford so teams role coverage away from AJ? Somehow that doesn't seem real likely.
Old 04-06-2005   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Oh ok.

Gaff, even without lighting speed, led the team last year in yards per catch (around 15) and had the longest play from scrimmage (vs. Bears, around 65 yards)
I think that is why Gaff needs to stay a 3 because he worked very well in the slot. Whenever I think of Armstrong, I think of the game against Minn last year. That guy did stretch the field and many times our offense clicked when he was in our 4 WR set.

I still believe that better play from the TE position can do wonders for our offense and Andre.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #13
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I think that is why Gaff needs to stay a 3 because he worked very well in the slot. Whenever I think of Armstrong, I think of the game against Minn last year. That guy did stretch the field and many times our offense clicked when he was in our 4 WR set.

I still believe that better play from the TE position can do wonders for our offense and Andre.

I agree with that...if the TE position had better play (IE 2002 version of Billy Miller ) the offense would be alot better than 'Dre would be even more dangerous.

Personally, I think we draft Williamson @ #13 (or where ever we're picking)
Old 04-06-2005   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

For now, I say you re-sign Corey Bradford at a very reasonable price to a 1 year deal. He's going to want to work in 2005 and "audition" for the payday he thought he was going to get this year. You give him and Armstrong the #2 spot to compete for and may the best man win.

I say this because frankly I think Armstrong can win that spot but Corey coming into the 4 wideout sets with something to prove is a scary thought for defenses and a real weapon for the Texans offense. I also say this because I'd like to see the Texans spend their first day picks working on the defense again for the most part.

The Texans are generally a patient bunch and I believe they'll give Armstrong all the opportunity in the world to win that 2 spot. If not Bradford is a very good backup plan. If you have to use that backup plan then you grab your #2 next year in the first round.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #15
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

If we're moving towards more timing routes I think Gaffney can do fine in the #2 spot. And like what was said above, Starling or Thomas have a much better chance at moving into #2 than any 2nd day drafted player.

The argument that Gaffney can't do it because of his speed but Armstrong can doesn't really hold water since I don't think Armstrong's speed is any better than Gaffney's.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think we can function with Armstrong at #2.

A #2 receiver doesnt have to stretch the field to keep Johnson from getting double teamed. If all he does is get open and make catches.. he will force defenses to consider him.. and not just Johnson. I think Bradford's inability to get open and make clutch catches hurt us alot more than his speed helped us.

And if there is one thing that Armstrong is good at.. its getting open and making the catch.

my 2 cents
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #17
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

I'm torn on this one...I think Armstrong should be in the game, either as the #2 or in the slot. I like Gaffney, but I like Armstrong more and think that Armstrong has more potential of the two. No matter which way the Texans go, I think the Texans will go after a WR in the 2nd or 3rd to compete.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #18
TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
I'm torn on this one...I think Armstrong should be in the game, either as the #2 or in the slot. I like Gaffney, but I like Armstrong more and think that Armstrong has more potential of the two. No matter which way the Texans go, I think the Texans will go after a WR in the 2nd or 3rd to compete.
I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. But, does Armstrong pose the threat for a defense to spread coverage around...or do they continue to roll people over to Johnson's side?
That is the question the Texans need to adress. And if they believe Armstrong can do it, then I'm all for it. Gaffney to me is more of a slot reciever...and he's got good hands...but he can't spread a defense out.
I doubt the Texans will go after a reciever with the #13 pick, but if they did, Troy Williamson is the ideal fit.
Old 04-06-2005   #19
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I agree with Grid that a #2 WR doesn't have to have blazing speed to take pressure off of Johnson, they just need to be able to get open and catch the ball. However, I think Gaffney could be that #2 guy because he does run good routes and has good hands. Whoever the #2 WR is, it won't matter if Carr doesn't have the patience and/or the time to make his progressions from primary WR to secondary WR on the various routes.

Also, forcing the defense to account for a TE would also help take pressure off Johnson.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

im all for drafting matt jones in the second. the guy is bigger and faster than aj, and has better hands than aj when he came out. i am in NO WAY saing he is better than aj, just saying physicly he is a freak, compares to aj and antwan randel el. he is still a project but my perfect draft for the first few rounds would go like this:
trade down w/philly for their 31 and 35
31: david bass
35: matt jones
our second: antonio perkins
3a: kevin burnett
3b: Luis Castillo
4: Boomer Grigsby
bpa all the way from here.
back to the original question, i would prefer we draft a wr to compliment aj, and im all for matt jones. if you go to the draft part of this board there is a lot of stuff on matt jones. at his pro day we were one of only a few teams there including tenn. but we had our off. cordinator there.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read