Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2010   #1
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 29696 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default New GM?

So, if McNair decides to go in a different direction with Kubiak, its a good bet he might go in a different direction at GM too. Any thoughts on who a good replacement might be should that happen? Cowher in a dual role maybe?
Old 12-26-2010   #2
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29606 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
So, if McNair decides to go in a different direction with Kubiak, its a good bet he might go in a different direction at GM too. Any thoughts on who a good replacement might be should that happen? Cowher in a dual role maybe?
Not a fan of the head coach-GM combo. It very rarely works.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 282262 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've never really liked the idea of one person being the HC and GM. There needs to be a seperation of duties there IMO. While I would love Cowher coming here as HC, I'm not really certain he has what it takes to also be a GM.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith should have never gotten this job. It was baffling that he got an extension that he did when he did after doing absolutely nothing in his first two seasons here. This will be his last job as a GM for a very long time. I can't believe that he actually draws a pay salary.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #5
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else as long as they have no connection to the Denver or Green Bay organizations.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith needs to go just as badly as Kubes.
Old 12-26-2010   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I think we need a new GM more than a new coach. I think we need someone to steer the franchise.

We need someone who can hire/fire a Cowher, we don't have that. Cowher comes in, & he'll railroad McNair & Smith, just like Kubiak has.

If McNair wants Cowher to be in that Holmgren/Parcells role, that's fine. But I find it hard to believe that is a "win now" situation.

If you think Rick Smith can "be" Gruden's boss, or Cowher's boss, fine. I just disagree.
Old 12-26-2010   #8
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't Cowher want full power? As in, the dual role, being HC and GM? Or am I wrong there?
Old 12-26-2010   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 49552 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roc View Post
Doesn't Cowher want full power? As in, the dual role, being HC and GM? Or am I wrong there?
I think he wants power over personnel. There will still have to be a GM to negotiate trades and contracts. Cowher wants to be able to get who he wants and get rid of who he wants.
Old 12-26-2010   #10
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roc View Post
I think that he tried that in Pittsburg for a couple of years and it failed. The team brought in a GM (his name escapes me) and let Cowher coach. I think he sees that is the way it should be. At the same time the GM has to know what kind of talent the coach needs.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Not a fan of the head coach-GM combo. It very rarely works.

I agree with that but If I were offered a choice between another year of Smith/Kubiak and Cowher in a HC/GM role I'd take the chance of Cowher and see if he happened to be one of the handful of people capable of doing it.

If it works then great. If it doesn't then GM power can always be taken away at a later time. Right now our current HC and GM aren't getting it done so an attempt to improve it would be welcome in my opinion.
Old 12-26-2010   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think we need a new GM more than a new coach. I think we need someone to steer the franchise.

We need someone who can hire/fire a Cowher, we don't have that. Cowher comes in, & he'll railroad McNair & Smith, just like Kubiak has.

If McNair wants Cowher to be in that Holmgren/Parcells role, that's fine. But I find it hard to believe that is a "win now" situation.

If you think Rick Smith can "be" Gruden's boss, or Cowher's boss, fine. I just disagree.
I'm sorry man, I think you're hanging out too much with Walter here.

Old 12-26-2010   #13
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Smith isnt even Kubiaks boss. Not directed at you but it cracks me up how some here say we should keep kubiak over hiring Cowher because we shouldnt give that kind of control to one guy. That is exactly what we have here now. Smith was hand picked by Kubiak amd is nothing more than a puppet. They both need to go but its unlikely Smith will go seeing how he is McNairs grandchild's godfather. Stupid stupid stupid mixing personal lives with work. STUPID!!!!! Thats what this whole situation is and its probably going to cost us getting a top notch head coach in here anytime soon.
Old 12-26-2010   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't found a actual quote from cowher that says he wants total control.. I have seen where Johnny M has said it,but this is the only thing I found (from 2008) anyone have a link?

Quote:
Initially, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported that Cowher told the Jets he was not interested because he wanted his own personnel director. The Jets official's response indicated the team was willing to let Cowher replace current general manager Mike Tannenbaum with his own candidate.
Quote:
Cowher had not given the Jets the impression he must have total control of personnel, a person familiar with the search told AP. Still, Cowher took his name out of the running without a formal sit-down.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3799959

(another link talking about the Chin and KC said IF he wanted control (another 2008 link))
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124814 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Spot on... The model should not be that the Head Coach hires the GM (i.e. Kubiak hiring Rick Smith). The Texans need to hire a GM that has more power and more say than Kubiak...
Old 12-26-2010   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

this was Steph's blog on cowher from a couple of weeks ago and had some steeler fans answer some questions about BC

http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2..._a_disc_1.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Smith isnt even Kubiaks boss. Not directed at you but it cracks me up how some here say we should keep kubiak over hiring Cowher because we shouldnt give that kind of control to one guy. That is exactly what we have here now. Smith was hand picked by Kubiak amd is nothing more than a puppet. They both need to go but its unlikely Smith will go seeing how he is McNairs grandchild's godfather. Stupid stupid stupid mixing personal lives with work. STUPID!!!!! Thats what this whole situation is and its probably going to cost us getting a top notch head coach in here anytime soon.
I agree with this, but I don't want to do this HC/GM thing all over again, for the third time.

I believe that is why we're spinning our wheels, our first GM didn't have a clue, our second GM answers to the HC. We need a football mind running things around here. Not Bob, not Cal....

If Capers was the problem, then Casserly should have been left in place to keep Kubiak in check. If Casserly was the problem, then we should have kept Capers, with a new "Captain" steering the ship.

Personally I think Kubiak is a better head coach than Rick Smith is a GM. There should have been someone to say no to letting Kyle Shanahan go. There should have been someone to say "fire Richard Smith at the end of 2007...... why in the heck do we want both Smith & Bush on the payroll" There should have been someone telling Kubiak to focus on winning games, instead of whatever pet project he was working on in 2009 & 2010, because he definitely wasn't focused on winning.
Old 12-26-2010   #18
MFG16
Veteran

Rep Power: 301 MFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respected

This team has talent, so I give some credit to Smith. Its not like his drafting WR after WR in the 1st round like Matt Millen did with the Lions. (good) Players his brought in: Schaub, Foster, Mario, Cush, Demeco, Smith (both Wade and Antonio), Rackers, Daniels, and Pollard. Those are some hits so he deserves credit. He has missed on some players, but every GM misses on players. We also don't know how restricted or unrestricted he is under McNair. If McNair gives him a blank check in FA and Smith does what he does then he is a moron and needs to be gone, but if he is restricted by both McNair and the Salary Cap then I think he has done a good job. A lot of the problems I see with this team is coaching, and if people can make a case that coach X can have a winning record with the current team then I think smith has done a good job.
MFG16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #19
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 77572 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill Parcels wouldn't mix well with Cowher, but he'd get some top talent in here.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

[quote=mussop;1618493]Smith isnt even Kubiaks boss. Not directed at you but it cracks me up how some here say we should keep kubiak over hiring Cowher because we shouldnt give that kind of control to one guy. That is exactly what we have here now. Smith was hand picked by Kubiak amd is nothing more than a puppet. They both need to go but its unlikely Smith will go seeing how he is McNairs grandchild's godfather. Stupid stupid stupid mixing personal lives with work. STUPID!!!!! Thats what this whole situation is and its probably going to cost us getting a top notch head coach in here anytime soon.[/QUOTE]What?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read