Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2010   #1
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting Peter King comment about Cowher

Buried in Peter King's MMQB column this week (in item 6 on the last page) was this line:
Quote:
My guess is unless there's an opening in Houston, Cowher's going to stay in TV for one more year, at least.
Peter King seems to have more wrong predictions than right ones, but sometimes he does have some inside information. Earlier in the column he also says that Cowher won't go to Carolina (he lives in Raleigh, a few hours from Charlotte), since Carolina won't pay enough.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #2
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Interesting Peter King comment about Cowher

I want two weeks from now to get here so we can finally get some damn closure either way.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #3
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3783 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowhers wish list is miami and New York also, we have to hope both of those team do pretty good so they dont fire their coaches. Would love for cowher to come here.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #4
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanchris View Post
Cowhers wish list is miami and New York also, we have to hope both of those team do pretty good so they dont fire their coaches. Would love for cowher to come here.
Miami probably won't fire Sparano. He made it to the playoffs two years ago, and I believe they are still fighting for a spot. That's with their horrible QB situation. As long as the Giants make the playoffs, I think Coughlin is fine. The team is 9-5, and lucky for them, the Saints lost yesterday, too.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Why wouldn't this be attractive to Cowher?

You have an offense that can be whatever you want in my opinion. He can keep some assts and keep the blocking scheme or I'm a firm believer that Arain would be good in most systems. He gets yards after the hit and has great lean. I'm sure he would be used more than he is now. You have a Qb that can work play action when the running game is clicking. I think part of Schaub's issues this year are more a product of him being forced to do too much. The mistakes become magnified. He does have issues with ball control at times burt I think with AJ and limiting the throws you would get more of a gameplan like we saw in the first Colts game. He would have to take a look at the line and see what is in place but he has the skill.

Defensively they can put in what they want. It isn't like the D is screaming with talent where you have to stick with guys. Mario could even be bumped inside more if they wanted.

Overall this is way more attractive than Carolina, with no talent and the others mentioned aren't firing coaches.
Old 12-20-2010   #6
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The first two on that "wish list" are smoke. Everyone knows Coughlin isn't getting fired, so the Giants aren't worth even a mention. Miami doesn't have a stable QB situation, which was a condition Cowher previously said was necessary. The reason those teams are listed is to put the team he's really counting on, Houston, down a couple of notches. It's important to not list Houston as #1 or #2 because he doesn't want to lose bargaining leverage by seeming too eager, and he wants to be somewhat respectful to the current coach.

It's funny, every time there's "leak" to the media about Cowher's intentions, there's a new team thrown into the mix-- except Houston, which is always mentioned.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Why wouldn't this be attractive to Cowher?

You have an offense that can be whatever you want in my opinion. He can keep some assts and keep the blocking scheme or I'm a firm believer that Arain would be good in most systems. He gets yards after the hit and has great lean. I'm sure he would be used more than he is now. You have a Qb that can work play action when the running game is clicking. I think part of Schaub's issues this year are more a product of him being forced to do too much. The mistakes become magnified. He does have issues with ball control at times burt I think with AJ and limiting the throws you would get more of a gameplan like we saw in the first Colts game. He would have to take a look at the line and see what is in place but he has the skill. Granted, Cowher's got much more of a resume than Tomlin did, but the fact he's a defensive guy by background could make it more palatable to him.

Defensively they can put in what they want. It isn't like the D is screaming with talent where you have to stick with guys. Mario could even be bumped inside more if they wanted.

Overall this is way more attractive than Carolina, with no talent and the others mentioned aren't firing coaches.
If Cowher were to end up here (or if anybody besides Kubiak is the HC next year), I really hope to see an approach to the offense similar to Mike Tomlin's approach to the defense when he took over the Steelers. He was a 4-3 guy, and Tampa Two guy, but realized the Steelers D didn't need a overhaul, and let LeBeau continue to run the 3-4. In fact, he took the opportunity to learn and expand his knowledge base. I don't think that we need to keep Dennison (although of everyone we've currently got, he's probably the one I wouldn't hate keeping), but I do think any new head coach should find a way to leave the core of what we have on offense in place and gut the defense. Granted, Cowher's got much more of a resume than Tomlin did, but the fact he's a defensive guy by background could make it more palatable to him. Oh yeah - Cowher's background with special teams could be very useful too. Joe's been great, but it time for a new ST coach next season.

I still say that my biggest concern about Cowher is that he's gonna demand total control, and while it may be an improvement over what we have now, I can't think of a single consistently successful NFL franchise - with the glaring and obvious exception of the Patriots - who's done it without a clear delineation between front office and coaching staff. You can have the coach higher in the pecking order, but don't have the GM or personnel folks directly - or indirectly - report to the HC. It's the single biggest problem we have now, and while Cowher or another HC may make the situation better or more bearable, in my mind it's not treating the cause - just one of the more prominent symptoms.
Old 12-20-2010   #8
MFG16
Veteran

Rep Power: 301 MFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
The first two on that "wish list" are smoke. Everyone knows Coughlin isn't getting fired, so the Giants aren't worth even a mention. Miami doesn't have a stable QB situation, which was a condition Cowher previously said was necessary. The reason those teams are listed is to put the team he's really counting on, Houston, down a couple of notches. It's important to not list Houston as #1 or #2 because he doesn't want to lose bargaining leverage by seeming too eager, and he wants to be somewhat respectful to the current coach.

It's funny, every time there's "leak" to the media about Cowher's intentions, there's a new team thrown into the mix-- except Houston, which is always mentioned.
Thats a good point about the leaks to the media. New York has always come up though, and I wouldn't rush to the conclusion that Coughlin wont get fired. Giving up a 21 point lead in 6 minutes isn't exactly a job saver, especially with the new york media. Cowher did make NY his first choice, and if the giants ever wanted to make a move at HC the time would be now.
MFG16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #9
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not saying that Cowher is not interested, but if a sports writer was gonna make up a rumor or speculate, it makes total sense to include the Texans. Defensive coach for underachieving offensive team.

I love the 3-4 defense and Cowher is one of my favorite coaches, but I am not gonna let the rumor mill get my hopes up one way or the other until McNair makes his move.

Last edited by MojoX; 12-20-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Completing the thought.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #10
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109600 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Everyone knows Coughlin isn't getting fired, so the Giants aren't worth even a mention.
I wouldn't bank on that. Bob McNair doesn't own the Giants. Giants ownership were embarrassed yesterday. The Giants were up 31-10 with less than 8 minutes to go in that game and they lost in regulation. That game cost them the NFC East division and if they lose to Green Bay on the road next week they probably won't make the playoffs. If the Giants don't make the playoffs Coughlin will probably be dismissed.

As it looks for me personally, there's a good chance Cowher will be coaching a team I root for next season.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #11
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
If Cowher were to end up here (or if anybody besides Kubiak is the HC next year), I really hope to see an approach to the offense similar to Mike Tomlin's approach to the defense when he took over the Steelers. He was a 4-3 guy, and Tampa Two guy, but realized the Steelers D didn't need a overhaul, and let LeBeau continue to run the 3-4. In fact, he took the opportunity to learn and expand his knowledge base. I don't think that we need to keep Dennison (although of everyone we've currently got, he's probably the one I wouldn't hate keeping), but I do think any new head coach should find a way to leave the core of what we have on offense in place and gut the defense. Granted, Cowher's got much more of a resume than Tomlin did, but the fact he's a defensive guy by background could make it more palatable to him. Oh yeah - Cowher's background with special teams could be very useful too. Joe's been great, but it time for a new ST coach next season.

I still say that my biggest concern about Cowher is that he's gonna demand total control, and while it may be an improvement over what we have now, I can't think of a single consistently successful NFL franchise - with the glaring and obvious exception of the Patriots - who's done it without a clear delineation between front office and coaching staff. You can have the coach higher in the pecking order, but don't have the GM or personnel folks directly - or indirectly - report to the HC. It's the single biggest problem we have now, and while Cowher or another HC may make the situation better or more bearable, in my mind it's not treating the cause - just one of the more prominent symptoms.
This is the concern I have also. I want Kubiak fired regardless but I'm not so sure I would replace him with Cowher if he will only come as a coach/gm combination. I might be inclined to look elsewhere if he wants that much control. I do think that Cowher has the personality and coaching style that would be an exact match for what this team needs.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #12
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3783 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

what if Cowher is just using Houston as leverage so that he gets the coaching job in New York. To be honest i dont see him coming here and i dont know who i would want as the head coach if Cowher doesn't come to Houston.
Old 12-20-2010   #13
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanchris View Post
what if Cowher is just using Houston as leverage so that he gets the coaching job in New York. To be honest i dont see him coming here and i dont know who i would want as the head coach if Cowher doesn't come to Houston.
??? There has to be an opening there first for that to even be considered. Last I looked, they were looking at a playoff spot and we were 5-9.
Old 12-20-2010   #14
texanchris
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
??? There has to be an opening there first for that to even be considered. Last I looked, they were looking at a playoff spot and we were 5-9.
exactly, they play the Packers who might get Aaron Rodgers back and the redskins who looked pretty good yesterday. They lose that Packers game and they will probably be out of the play-offs. New York was embarrassed that they lost in regulation when they had 31-10 lead. If they do fire Coughlin which is likely then Cowher would have to choose between the Giants who have alot of talent on both sides of the ball and Jerome Bettis said hes always wanted to coach there. Its either that or Houston where it might take some time to rebuild and we have yet to make the play-offs in our existence.
Old 12-20-2010   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Jim Harbaugh would be a better hire than Cowher. He already runs the same system @ Stanford. could retain the majority of staff including Kubiak as OC. Despite being a former QB he is a defensive minded coach, known as Captain Comeback for a reason. His attitude alone would have gotten Texans into the playoffs @ 10-6.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #16
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Jim Harbaugh would be a better hire than Cowher. He already runs the same system @ Stanford. could retain the majority of staff including Kubiak as OC. Despite being a former QB he is a defensive minded coach, known as Captain Comeback for a reason. His attitude alone would have gotten Texans into the playoffs @ 10-6.
Would love to see Harbaugh. Put me with the crew that's scaredof giving any coach total control. That hasn't worked out real well in the past
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #17
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Still would need a GM with Harbaugh. Or do you keep Smith?
Old 12-20-2010   #18
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is who I want.
Old 12-20-2010   #19
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, We needa proven head coach. No more rolling the dice on OC/DC's with good promise. I want an NFL caliber HC who is proven.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #20
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
No, We needa proven head coach. No more rolling the dice on OC/DC's with good promise. I want an NFL caliber HC who is proven.

*cough cough...Jon Gruden...cough cough*
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read