Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2010   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Audibles

Was watching the Baltimore game over. Jaworski said Schaub audibles about half the time. He didn't give a source.
Old 12-20-2010   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Audibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Was watching the Baltimore game over. Jaworski said Schaub audibles about half the time. He didn't give a source.
Was it Jaworski or Gruden who said he talked to Schaub the day before the game?

It would still be the same play.
For example, Schaub can call a run strong side in the huddle, but change it to a run weak side at the line (the blocking assignments are different.)
Or he can pull up and throw the ball to some receiver who might have been blocking during that play, but now is running a route instead. (That's what I think).

I don't think he calls a new play at the LOS, does he?!?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

The whole Kubiak-babies-Schaub idea is one of the perpetuated myths.

Kubiak doesn't let Schaub call the offense in the sense of Peyton Manning, but he and Schaub have both said Schaub has the freedom to, and does check out of plays.
Old 12-20-2010   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

For example, Schaub can call a run strong side in the huddle, but change it to a run weak side at the line (the blocking assignments are different.)
Or he can pull up and throw the ball to some receiver who might have been blocking during that play, but now is running a route instead. (That's what I think).

I think that's about right. He also has the freedom to check from a call played to an alternative play. In the second Colts game, for example, everyone was killing Kubiak for passing on the first three plays and Kubiak said that one of those plays (the second, IIRC) was a called run play that Schaub audibled to a pass play on.
Old 12-20-2010   #5
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I do not recall the offense re-aligning to a new formation due to a Schaub "audible."

I believe Kubiak has stated that every play has several options "built in."

This is not an "audible" in the sense most fans are thinking of.
Old 12-20-2010   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

It has been reported on several occasions now that Schaub has at least one run and one pass play available each time. I would assume Jaworski's half the time would include the full gamut of possible audibles from changing a route to changing from run to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I do not recall the offense re-aligning to a new formation due to a Schaub "audible."

Not admitting your characterization is true, but if it is then most fans don't understand audible.
Old 12-20-2010   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post

I've seen many NFL team playbooks (for example, Pats 04, Steelers 05, Panthers 05)
They all have a section called "Audible" (Check-off system) for the QB to adjust against different defenses as he steps to the LOS.

Also, in Peter King's book "Inside the Helmet", Boomer Esiason also gave some example about audible.

When I study these playbooks from different teams, they all have "plays" within a play (or rather a set of plays that go together.)
With the same formation, an offense can go with a run strong side, weak side, or a pass, or possibly even a reverse, etc.
Sometimes, it requires no motion or shifting by any of the players on the field;
sometimes, the FB can move from his position in a straight-I to one in an offset I;
sometimes the TE can move back into the HB position;
sometimes one receiver can go into motion accross the backfield or from wide out into the slot.

You can see that it's relative easy to switch from one play to another as long as all the players know about the change(s).
The blocking assignments will be different; therefore, if the QB doesn't let the O-line (and the rest) know, it will be immediate disaster (I have no doubt that this happen from time to time.)

In Peter King's book, Esiason also talked about how he might not have a receiver to make a certain audible work; he then just signal to the FB to come up and become that receiver and run the route (just to influence the defense to react in certain ways.)
This part, I don't know if the Texans have it or not.
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2010   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
When I study these playbooks from different teams, they all have "plays" within a play (or rather a set of plays that go together.)
With the same formation, an offense can go with a run strong side, weak side, or a pass, or possibly even a reverse, etc.
Sometimes, it requires no motion or shifting by any of the players on the field;
sometimes, the FB can move from his position in a straight-I to one in an offset I;
sometimes the TE can move back into the HB position;
sometimes one receiver can go into motion accross the backfield or from wide out into the slot.
Exactly. An audible doesn't have to be from a run play to a hail mary. Any change at the line qualifies and fans aren't going to always know whether Schaub audibled OD to motion or that was in the original play. Peyton has talked on a couple occasions about his changing WR routes.

I just thought this was an interesting comment since some around here have asserted as fact that Kubiak doesn't let Schaub audible much. I doubt Jaws just pulled this out of his butt.
Old 12-20-2010   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Exactly. An audible doesn't have to be from a run play to a hail mary. Any change at the line qualifies and fans aren't going to always know whether Schaub audibled OD to motion or that was in the original play. Peyton has talked on a couple occasions about his changing WR routes.

I just thought this was an interesting comment since some around here have asserted as fact that Kubiak doesn't let Schaub audible much. I doubt Jaws just pulled this out of his butt.
I just pulled out the second Indy game as NTZ just mentioned about a certain play.

It was Gruden who said in that game that he talked to Schaub who revealed that he does have the freedom to change plays like that depending upon what he sees that the defense does.

NTZ, it was the first play of the game (Gruden announced that it was a run play that Schaub change to a pass play to AJ.)
We were in the I-formation with 2 receivers on the right and AJ by himself on the left.
The Colts was in their 4-3; but suddenly, the LCB strayed to the inside (showing a possible blitz) with a safety stepping up (showing that he can take over the CB's responsibility.)
I can see that as Schaub called out the changes, he also made a foot signal for OD to move from his Z position back into his normal TE position on the right side (possible to fool the defense that he will block for the run.)

The RCB was playing off-man, giving a lot of cushion to AJ; the lone safety was playing deep. A quick slant in by AJ behind the LBs (who came up in the run blitz) was easy picking for Schaub with a quick one-step throw.
Old 12-20-2010   #10
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 858 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't know ... maybe it's just me ... but a strong side run sounds like a different play from a pass to a receiver that used to be blocking and is now running a pattern.
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Your Face View Post
I don't know ... maybe it's just me ... but a strong side run sounds like a different play from a pass to a receiver that used to be blocking and is now running a pattern.
I just posted about the audible into a pass play to AJ for 11yd and a first down against the Colts.

If that remained a run play strong side, AJ would be blocking either the RCB who was defending him or he could go further downfield to block the deep safety.
Old 12-20-2010   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
A quick slant in by AJ behind the LBs (who came up in the run blitz) was easy picking for Schaub with a quick one-step throw.
Wait, according to some we don't ever run slants. Surely you are mistaken.
Old 12-20-2010   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wait, according to some we don't ever run slants. Surely you are mistaken.
I saw a slant to Walter yesterday!
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I saw a slant to Walter yesterday!
I think he was bumped off his route by the cornerback!
Weakling!
Old 12-20-2010   #15
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Every play in our playbook has a few changes that can be made to it at the LOS based on the look the defense gives you. It's done this way so that the personnel and formation match if a change is made at the line. It's a system that many teams use. Pat Kirwan's book talks a lot about it too. It's not because the QB can't handle calling the audibles but it maximizes the play potential with the formation and personnel on the field.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read