Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2010   #1
CharloTex
Veteran

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 8794 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mediocre Math

There are 32 NFL teams. Therefore, if you are an average NFL team, you’ll win the Super Bowl once every 32 years. No problem, we have 23 more years to go. With 16 teams in the AFL, on average each team will play in the Super Bowl once every 16 years. No problem, we have 7 more years to fulfill our mediocrity. Two of the 16 AFL teams play in the AFL Championship game each year. So of course, each fan can expect their team to appear in their Conference Championship game once every 8 years, if for no other reason than to firmly establish their mediocrity.

Ok, stay with me here - there are 4 teams in each division. One would expect that, on average each team would achieve divisional superiority once every 4 years. This would prove to the NFL world that you had complied with the law of averages. Furthermore, each year, 6 of 16 teams advance to the playoffs in each conference. Every 2.7 years, each mediocre team will trip or back their way into the playoffs. In nine years, a mediocre team would have appeared at least 3 times, and be anticipating their next appearance very soon.

All the NFL teams square off against each other every year, and collectively they end up with an equal number of wins (256) and losses (256). On average, every team would finish 8-8 each year. But, since some teams every year win 10, 11, 12, even as many as 14 wins in a given year, while others win only ZERO, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6, one might suppose that during the years that you weren’t in that lower tier of losers, you might occasionally win 10 or more games. Certainly you would more than occasionally win 9 games, to affirm (Bob McNair’s wording) your averageness.

But no, not if you’re the Detroit Lions, with virtually no talent year in and year out. Certainly not if you are Buffalo with nary a name player, unless you count Lee Evans (he plays great in Houston). And no way if you are the Cleveland Browns – until I started playing Fantasy Football, I couldn’t even name a player on that team.

But, if you were fielding a team with the last two year’s best wide receiver in the game, last year’s most prolific passing QB, this year’s best all around running back, a plethora of capable TE’s, last year’s Defensive Rookie of the Year, and all the Pro-Bowl talent from end-to-end on both sides of the ball, a brand new, very capable place kicker, and newly acquired depth at all positions, how do the Houston Texans not this year, or any year before qualify and fit into even one of the mediocre categories named above? Ever? After 9 years? Is it because we are on the friggin’ RIGHT TRACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK Mr. McNair?
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya...I didn't read all that.

Rock on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mediocre Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post

Rock on.
Too bad. You might have learned something.
Old 12-19-2010   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharloTex View Post
There are 32 NFL teams. Therefore, if you are an average NFL team, you’ll win the Super Bowl once every 32 years. No problem, we have 23 more years to go. With 16 teams in the AFL, on average each team will play in the Super Bowl once every 16 years. No problem, we have 7 more years to fulfill our mediocrity. Two of the 16 AFL teams play in the AFL Championship game each year. So of course, each fan can expect their team to appear in their Conference Championship game once every 8 years, if for no other reason than to firmly establish their mediocrity.

Ok, stay with me here - there are 4 teams in each division. One would expect that, on average each team would achieve divisional superiority once every 4 years. This would prove to the NFL world that you had complied with the law of averages. Furthermore, each year, 6 of 16 teams advance to the playoffs in each conference. Every 2.7 years, each mediocre team will trip or back their way into the playoffs. In nine years, a mediocre team would have appeared at least 3 times, and be anticipating their next appearance very soon.

All the NFL teams square off against each other every year, and collectively they end up with an equal number of wins (256) and losses (256). On average, every team would finish 8-8 each year. But, since some teams every year win 10, 11, 12, even as many as 14 wins in a given year, while others win only ZERO, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6, one might suppose that during the years that you weren’t in that lower tier of losers, you might occasionally win 10 or more games. Certainly you would more than occasionally win 9 games, to affirm (Bob McNair’s wording) your averageness.

But no, not if you’re the Detroit Lions, with virtually no talent year in and year out. Certainly not if you are Buffalo with nary a name player, unless you count Lee Evans (he plays great in Houston). And no way if you are the Cleveland Browns – until I started playing Fantasy Football, I couldn’t even name a player on that team.

But, if you were fielding a team with the last two year’s best wide receiver in the game, last year’s most prolific passing QB, this year’s best all around running back, a plethora of capable TE’s, last year’s Defensive Rookie of the Year, and all the Pro-Bowl talent from end-to-end on both sides of the ball, a brand new, very capable place kicker, and newly acquired depth at all positions, how do the Houston Texans not this year, or any year before qualify and fit into even one of the mediocre categories named above? Ever? After 9 years? Is it because we are on the friggin’ RIGHT TRACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK Mr. McNair?
Answer: We may have the worst pass-D in the history of the game, because our HC doesn't think free safeties are important. Despite our O, we have -53 net points this year. Matter of fact, he doesn't seem to think our whole secondary is very important. Doesn't really help that our DC is clueless either, and that is probably because our HC doesn't care much about the WHOLE DEFENSE.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #5
Esoom
Veteran

Section: 631
Rep Power: 256 Esoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respected

We are a massive pile of explosive talent that just needs a spark from a coach. Trying to accomplish that with Kubes is like trying to light that pile of talent with a water hose. It won't work and it will inevitably lead to a huge mess.
Old 12-20-2010   #6
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 21276 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

The AFL is still around?

Old 12-20-2010   #7
CharloTex
Veteran

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 8794 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_ROK View Post
The AFL is still around?

Whoops! Now you know how long I've been around. Funny, that with all the laws of averages, it's been far more than 32 years that any Houston football team has advanced to, let alone win their "fair share" of league championships (Super Bowl). You have to go all the way back to the AFL days to find a Houston Football Championship.
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2010   #8
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1035 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting bit of depressing math. Thanks for making me sad now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post

Rock on.
Then why the heck did you bother to post?
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read