Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-14-2011   #141
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive Secondary 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Hey 76Texan, have you had a chance to look at guys that were considered 1st rounders before the season started such as DeAndre McDaniel from Clemson (I think).

He seems to have completely fallen off the radar after being dubbed as a possible 1st round pick.
I've watched so many games I can't remember which is which, lol
I did watch a few of his games: MD and UNC for sure.
I think I've watched the Miami game also.
And one or two more incomplete games.
I did watch the Auburn game, even though I can't remember if I finished it or not.

As I've posted before, he's simply solid.
It seems like the opponent doesn't run plays his way as often as they do away from him. (I'm pretty sure that's the case.)

I haven't seen anything negative yet.
On the other hand, I haven't seen quite enough to merit absolute first round status.
But it's not any fault of his own.
So far, he's pretty much where he's supposed to be at on any given play.
I'd like to see some situations where he's challenged, where he's put on the spot.

I'm in the process of going back to watch more safety play.
Perhaps I'll pick up on the Auburn game.

As far as FS is concerned, the problem with Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter is that I've seen some mistakes that I don't think a first rounder should make.
Maybe I'm too harsh, but I want to have the confidence in the last line of defense.
As of now, I don't see any FS deserving first round status.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #142
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I've watched so many games I can't remember which is which, lol
I did watch a few of his games: MD and UNC for sure.
I think I've watched the Miami game also.
And one or two more incomplete games.
I did watch the Auburn game, even though I can't remember if I finished it or not.

As I've posted before, he's simply solid.
It seems like the opponent doesn't run plays his way as often as they do away from him. (I'm pretty sure that's the case.)

I haven't seen anything negative yet.
On the other hand, I haven't seen quite enough to merit absolute first round status.
But it's not any fault of his own.
So far, he's pretty much where he's supposed to be at on any given play.
I'd like to see some situations where he's challenged, where he's put on the spot.

I'm in the process of going back to watch more safety play.
Perhaps I'll pick up on the Auburn game.

As far as FS is concerned, the problem with Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter is that I've seen some mistakes that I don't think a first rounder should make.
Maybe I'm too harsh, but I want to have the confidence in the last line of defense.
As of now, I don't see any FS deserving first round status.
I definitely agree with you here. Carter is the closest thing, imo. But I rate him at the top of the second round. And I rate Moore about where we pick in the second.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #143
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I definitely agree with you here. Carter is the closest thing, imo. But I rate him at the top of the second round. And I rate Moore about where we pick in the second.
That's about how I have them rated. I'm hoping Carter falls to the Texans in the 2nd rd. He would represent great value at that spot. Carter has great hips to turn and run. He would be a massive upgrade over Wilson. (No more Edwards type catches) Carter isn't a big hitter. But he is a pretty sure tackler. He does get caught out ofd position occasionally due to being overly aggressive. It's why he will be available in the 2nd rd. This can be corrected with good coaching.

With that said Rick and Garys track record says they wont spend a high pick on a S. Even though the way Phillips 3-4 works you need to have S that can cover. Which is why moving Quin to S should be an option.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #144
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Neither one is a first round pick. Too many mistakes. Both are good talents and I think everyone here would be happy if we could land one of them in the second round. Would be a huge improvement to our defense
Old 02-14-2011   #145
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
That's about how I have them rated. I'm hoping Carter falls to the Texans in the 2nd rd. He would represent great value at that spot. Carter has great hips to turn and run. He would be a massive upgrade over Wilson. (No more Edwards type catches) Carter isn't a big hitter. But he is a pretty sure tackler. He does get caught out ofd position occasionally due to being overly aggressive. It's why he will be available in the 2nd rd. This can be corrected with good coaching.

With that said Rick and Garys track record says they wont spend a high pick on a S. Even though the way Phillips 3-4 works you need to have S that can cover. Which is why moving Quin to S should be an option.
Its hard evaluating this years draft because of the change to a 3-4. We dont know how and where Wade is planning on playing this players. Whether cushing is inside or outside, does he have quin moving to fs, is mario going to be standing up at all? Hopefully Smithiak will let wade pick the players he wants and needs to make this defense decent
Old 02-14-2011   #146
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jarrard Tarrant in the 3rd rd would be a great alternative to Carter or Moore in the 2nd. I've been watching him for the last couple of yrs. He's a good tackler and has the coverage skills that are better than any S currently on the Texans roster.
Old 02-14-2011   #147
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
Its hard evaluating this years draft because of the change to a 3-4. We dont know how and where Wade is planning on playing this players. Whether cushing is inside or outside, does he have quin moving to fs, is mario going to be standing up at all? Hopefully Smithiak will let wade pick the players he wants and needs to make this defense decent
Agreed

After watching Phillips defense over the yrs there are 2 things it has to have.

1.A great pass rusher from the WLB spot
2. Atleast 1 but really 2 S that are versatile enough to play the run. But being able to cover is job 1. The Texans currently dont have a S on the roster that fits Phillips defense.
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2011   #148
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
Kubiak said it will be up to Wade, and with a slight chuckle, he added something like: "I just hope that he takes into considerations some of my inputs."
Old 02-15-2011   #149
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
After watching three more Clemson games (Auburn, South Carolina, and USF - these were games Clemson gave up the most points - along with the Miami game that I've already watched), I think McDaniel had solidified himself as perhaps the #1 safety for me.
He can play both positions well in the 6 games I've reviewed so far.

I still want to watch a couple more games (BC & Fla St), but in these two games, the opponent scored only 16, so I don't think much will change !?!

I think McDaniel has a decent/good chance to be drafted in the first round.
Old 02-15-2011   #150
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The Auburn/Clemson (above all the games) shows me a lot of things about McDaniel.

1. His footbal smart/instinct/ability to read play/understanding multi-receiver route patterns and therefore deciphering the QB tendency to throw to a certain area. (IMHO, this is what we're looking for in a deep safety.)

2. Speed and range.
He looks to have between good to excellent speed for a safety.
The fluid hips allow him to turn and thus give him the range to chase the long ball.
When he came up in run support, the flexibility of the hips also helps him to turn back to pursue the ball carier.
He also shows a good first burst and a good second gear (after he made a change of direction.)

3. Ball skills, playing the ball at the high point (good vertical leap and reach).

4. Good tackling ability and solid technique even as he hit the opponent.
Good angles, good form, good position.

5. Physical against a big back or receiver.

Did I forget anything we should be looking for in either a SS or FS?
Old 02-15-2011   #151
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Jarrard Tarrant in the 3rd rd would be a great alternative to Carter or Moore in the 2nd. I've been watching him for the last couple of yrs. He's a good tackler and has the coverage skills that are better than any S currently on the Texans roster.
Steelb, Tarrant played only 8 games as a safety (?!?) is that correct?
If that's so, wouldn't it be better for him to stay for another year?
Maybe he has some special circumstance.
How did he look against Georgia?
Old 02-15-2011   #152
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he could play either, but I like McDaniel as a SS. I have him as my #2/3 safety overall (he is right there with Moore but behind Carter) and my #1 SS.

He has a SS build. I think he has the speed and athleticism for FS. He can really tackle. I just see him more as a SS with coverage ability than a ballhawk FS.

Like I said, I think he could really play either. But if we're looking for a true FS I would rather have Carter.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #153
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think he could play either, but I like McDaniel as a SS. I have him as my #2/3 safety overall (he is right there with Moore but behind Carter) and my #1 SS.

He has a SS build. I think he has the speed and athleticism for FS. He can really tackle. I just see him more as a SS with coverage ability than a ballhawk FS.

Like I said, I think he could really play either. But if we're looking for a true FS I would rather have Carter.
I agree 100% with you on McDaniel. Very balanced SS that can really help us IMO. We should really look to get him with our second pick if we can.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #154
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Steelb, Tarrant played only 8 games as a safety (?!?) is that correct?
If that's so, wouldn't it be better for him to stay for another year?
Maybe he has some special circumstance.
How did he look against Georgia?
I remembered Tarrant from the 2009 season. He was very good at CB.

He switched over to FS in 2010 taking over for Burnett. Apparently it didn't go well. He does have great athletic ability. But appeared lost at times playing FS.
Old 02-15-2011   #155
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans need to draft the best proven ballhawk FS available instead of counting on the possibility they can convert a cb.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #156
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans need to draft the best proven ballhawk FS available instead of counting on the possibility they can convert a cb.
Yep

Carter or Moore in the 2nd would be the way I would go.

But history says Rick and Gary wont use a high pick on a S. Perhaps this would explain why the Texans secondary stinks yr after yr.
Old 02-16-2011   #157
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Agree completely. Moore and Carter are the 2 highest rated FS and both are rated as 2nd round picks. There's no reason we shouldn't get one of them in the 2nd. Of course Rick and Gary will most likely take the top rated TE instead. If this happens Rick and Gary should both be fired on the spot.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #158
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Moore's stock just took a nose dive for me.
Against WSU, he got beat badly on a double move inside the 10 and was toasted for a TD.
On the 2nd TD (also in the red zone), he took such poor position and angle that he couldn't get there in time to help the nickel back to break up the pass.
In the second half, Moore abandoned his responsibility in his 1/2 of the field (in cover 2) and chased the route to the other side (receivers running crossing routes from both sides). That left the receiver wide open for a very long gain.
There was another instance- but it slipped my mind now (where it looked like Moore didn't do the job a safety is supposed to.)

Then, in the game against Stanford, for some reason, Moore misjudged the throw and strayed too far from his deep post position. The RCB was beaten a few steps by the post route (either that, or he was supposed to trail the play and to look to protect underneath route).
There were receivers running deep routes on both sides and it did not look like the CBs were supposed to drop into 3-deep coverage. In this case, Moore shoulda stayed back as far as the deepest man, but he didn't. TD!
Here's where Moore worries me!
Old 02-16-2011   #159
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Did anyone watch the OU/Cincy game?
I can't quite see clearly the formation and the routes on the two plays where DJ Wood got free for two long gains.
It looks like Carter was the culprit both times, but the other safety (#3 Nelson) saved him both times.
He also bit on the exact same play (if the above was true) again in the same game (this time, he was surely the culprit.)
Plus he also committed one or two other errors (bigger than minor).
His stock is droppong for me.

If we're just grading these prospects based on what happened on the field, I might have to put Andrew Rich as the top safety of this class (oh boy!)
And here's where Carter worries me!
Old 02-16-2011   #160
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I watched more Clemson games to bring the total up to 9 (the only one I didn't watch was Wake Forest (a weakling).

McDaniel is a ball hawk alright!

And in all 9 games I saw fewer infractions than I saw from Carter or Moore in just one or two games.

His biggest "error" may not even be an error:

On the strong side, the QB rolled out.
They also pulled a guard to move the pocket.
The TE engaged the SAM.
Seeing this, McDaniel stayed to watch the QB.

A TE screen or a QB run were possible (with no defender to stop it).

In the meantime, the wide-out ran a skinny post.
The CB couldn't stay with him and had to grab him, taking a PI call to avoid a TD (the ball floated to give the CB the chance to even grab the WR).

McDaniel didn't commit until the QB released the ball, so you couldn't say that he bought the TE screen.
And remember, since the QB had rolled out, he can easily rumble up the side line for a big gain.

Perhaps you want your safety to drop way back to help the corner just to be sure to avoid the long bomb, but you will definitely give up a big run either by the QB or the TE on a screen.

Even if we call this a bad play by McDaniel, I've seen worse a few more times over from both Carter and Moore.

McDaniel played a lot of deep safety, including in cover one;
and he looked great to me.
Perhaps we are concerned about his speed at the next level.
If so, what do you think his 40 time should be to be rated as a frist rounder?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read