Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-01-2011   #121
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive Secondary 2011 NFL Draft

Did anyone watch the OU/Cincy game?
I can't quite see clearly the formation and the routes on the two plays where DJ Wood got free for two long gains.
It looks like Carter was the culprit both times, but the other safety (#3 Nelson) saved him both times.
He also bit on the exact same play (if the above was true) again in the same game (this time, he was surely the culprit.)
Plus he also committed one or two other errors (bigger than minor).
His stock is droppong for me.

If we're just grading these prospects based on what happened on the field, I might have to put Andrew Rich as the top safety of this class (oh boy!)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #122
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
May be he still needs to improve on his technique?
I've seen him a bit high out of his break here and there.
When he stays low, he turns and sticks very well.
He may still be a good CB with some good coaching; his hips seem fluid enough (along with other positive traits.)
Whatever we saw on the field might not be the end product that we will see in the NFL.

It would be a good possibility to consider him as a FS in the second round; however, if Wade has already thought out loud about moving Quin to FS, maybe they will go for another CB in FA or in the draft, I dunno!
This has been tossed around, though I've not personally read it that I recall. Anyone have a link? FWIW, a good move in my book.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011   #123
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
This has been tossed around, though I've not personally read it that I recall. Anyone have a link? FWIW, a good move in my book.
I thought I saw a link that somebody posted, but I can't find it anywhere.

The closest I got is this:

“We’ve definitely got to get better, and that’s across the board,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “In free agency, if there’s a corner or a defensive lineman, if that helps us, we’ve got to look at those options.

“I don't know if there’s just one move. I think we’ve got to look at a variety of things. There are possibilities with some of our players (secondary) actually moving (to new positions). That’s something that we’ve talked about.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...omment-7253832

But it could be a lot of things:
Personally, I think Jackson and Quin can play nickel, CB, or safety.
Allen had played safety for the Dolphins before, so he can always be moved as well.
Old 02-03-2011   #124
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought I saw a link that somebody posted, but I can't find it anywhere.

The closest I got is this:

“We’ve definitely got to get better, and that’s across the board,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “In free agency, if there’s a corner or a defensive lineman, if that helps us, we’ve got to look at those options.

“I don't know if there’s just one move. I think we’ve got to look at a variety of things. There are possibilities with some of our players (secondary) actually moving (to new positions). That’s something that we’ve talked about.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...omment-7253832

But it could be a lot of things:
Personally, I think Jackson and Quin can play nickel, CB, or safety.
Allen had played safety for the Dolphins before, so he can always be moved as well.
Thanks much 76. I'd like to see them follow through and do WHATEVER it takes. Be it rearranging players already here, FA, trade or draft.

Old 02-03-2011   #125
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Thanks much 76. I'd like to see them follow through and do WHATEVER it takes. Be it rearranging players already here, FA, trade or draft.

Can someone rep 76 for his insights on this thread, I haven't be able to rep him. Thanks!
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #126
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Can someone rep 76 for his insights on this thread, I haven't be able to rep him. Thanks!
Done.

Old 02-04-2011   #127
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Thanks as usual, guys.
I know some of us here are just crazy about football quite the same!

I have a question:
What is it that make people like Peterson so much?
I see a good CB with huge potential, but I didn't see greatness on the field.
Every time I put one of his game on, the thought keep coming back "Why is it that people seems to be so enamored with this guy" and the other guy, the QB Blaine Gabbert.

I'd really like to hear different opinions about these two guys.
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2011   #128
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks as usual, guys.

I have a question:
Every time I put one of his game on, the thought keep coming back "Why is it that people seems to be so enamored with this guy" and the other guy, the QB Blaine Gabbert.

This is just my personal opinion but, I think people are enamored with Peterson because of his freakish size (6'1" 220-Lbs), he is built like an undersized linebacker but has the speed and quickness of a cornerback.

Another aspect of his game is that he is able to return punts (basically help out on special teams) and play some offense as well (albet not as well as other two way players).

Not since the 1998 NFL Draft has there been a cornerback who has come close to mirroring Charles Woodson (he was drafted in 98' iirc) and its not until now that there is a player, at least based on his college career, can be compared to Woodson.

Just some of my opinions...
Old 02-04-2011   #129
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is just my personal opinion but, I think people are enamored with Peterson because of his freakish size (6'1" 220-Lbs), he is built like an undersized linebacker but has the speed and quickness of a cornerback.

Another aspect of his game is that he is able to return punts (basically help out on special teams) and play some offense as well (albet not as well as other two way players).

Not since the 1998 NFL Draft has there been a cornerback who has come close to mirroring Charles Woodson (he was drafted in 98' iirc) and its not until now that there is a player, at least based on his college career, can be compared to Woodson.

^^^^
This and the he might run a low 4.3 or a high 4.2 at that size.

Peterson reminds me of a faster but not tougher Ronnie Lott. Whoever drafts Peterson will be getting a very good CB for 3 or 4 yrs and later in his career a real diference maker at S

As I stated in another thread, if Peterson falls to #5 the Texans should seriously consider trading up and taking him. Peterson and a FA CB would take the secondary from putrid to acceptable immediately. IMHO

Peterson is a rare talent. One of the most talented I've seen. Woodson or Mel Blount would be comparable in size,agility,speed and style of play to Peterson.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #130
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks as usual, guys.

I have a question:

I think Peterson is the top dog purely from an athlete standpoint. People are in love with his elite measurables.

As for Gabbert, I think he'll be awful he couldn't even stand up to a average college pass rush for Nebraska. I hope the Titans draft him.
Old 02-05-2011   #131
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This and the he might run a low 4.3 or a high 4.2 at that size.

Peterson reminds me of a faster but not tougher Ronnie Lott. Whoever drafts Peterson will be getting a very good CB for 3 or 4 yrs and later in his career a real diference maker at S

As I stated in another thread, if Peterson falls to #5 the Texans should seriously consider trading up and taking him. Peterson and a FA CB would take the secondary from putrid to acceptable immediately. IMHO

Peterson is a rare talent. One of the most talented I've seen. Woodson or Mel Blount would be comparable in size,agility,speed and style of play to Peterson.
I don't think Peterson run in the 4.2, probably not even 4.3.
Could be high 4.3, low 4.4, my guess.

Peterson might be faster than Lott, but the receivers nowadays are also faster than before.

Peterson is far from a shut down corner in college.
He allowed more catches in just two or three games than Jackson gave up the entire year.
He would have given up even more if not for safety help, QB missing wide-open receiver, pressure on the QB, and help from the ref.

Not that he's a bad CB, but what I saw is far from a shutdown CB that people regarded so highly.

Certainly his potential is huge.
If he's given safety help (like McCourty) so that he can continue to play physical underneath, he can be a monster.
But leaving him alone on an island, I don't think you will like the result.
(I can't predict the future, I can only see what I saw on the field from his past games.)
Old 02-05-2011   #132
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think Peterson is the top dog purely from an athlete standpoint. People are in love with his elite measurables.

As for Gabbert, I think he'll be awful he couldn't even stand up to a average college pass rush for Nebraska. I hope the Titans draft him.
Thanks for mentioning the Nebraska game!

I'm going to try to compare the Iowa game and the Nebraska game to show the two sides of Gabbert.
Old 02-05-2011   #133
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I can see all these points perfectly.
But maybe we shouldn't "fall in love" with a prospect!

How much does a team has to pay IF he can render all these services at the highest level?

What has he done to show that he can do all this at the pro level?
Old 02-05-2011   #134
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans would be wise to give CB a rest at least in terms of draft, let the dust settle, new coaching add a veteran db in FA & wait until next year. I like Cliff Harris Oregon better than anyone in this years CB crop.

he got robbed of one of the best INT's I've ever seen in BCS game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6zOwAZfVww

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #135
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans would be wise to give CB a rest at least in terms of draft, let the dust settle, new coaching add a veteran db in FA & wait until next year. I like Cliff Harris Oregon better than anyone in this years CB crop.

he got robbed of one of the best INT's I've ever seen in BCS game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6zOwAZfVww
That was a smart play by Harris.
It's too bad the play was ruled an incompletion and there was not enough evidence to overturn the play.
It was extremely difficult to tell whether he had complete possession of the ball when his left foot (the only foot that was in bound) came down as the receiver got a little piece of his arm. (I think he had possession of the ball.)
At any rate, what I liked more than the fact that he almost got an INT is that he understood the pass patterns.
With him and the safety bracketing the outside receiver who ran a skinny post; it was extremely likely that the QB (Newton) would throw to the slot receiver who ran the wheel route to the outside.
That was a very good read and reaction by him.

Side note: Newton was quite accurate even with Casey Matthews bearing down upon him.
Old 02-05-2011   #136
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Talking Re: Defensive Secondary 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

MAJOR THREAD DERAILMENT!

Beerlover, have you seen the guys other YouTube videos based on your link you provided? If not, here is one that I thought was funny as hell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEr6t...eature=related
Old 02-08-2011   #137
76Texan
Hall of Fame

After watching a few more LSU games, I'm scratching my head as to why Peterson can be so highly regarded.
I'm thinking about dropping him toward mid first round, possible late first round status.
He's lacking in quite a few areas, which I'll come back to when I have some time.
Old 02-08-2011   #138
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After watching a few more LSU games, I'm scratching my head as to why Peterson can be so highly regarded.
I'm thinking about dropping him toward mid first round, possible late first round status.
He's lacking in quite a few areas, which I'll come back to when I have some time.
I'm not saying Peterson is perfect. He's really good though and at worst Peterson would be the best FS the Texans have ever had. He would be a great centerfielder type FS. With enough size to punish WR's going across the middle.

Peterson at CB will need to be coached up. But the talent is there.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #139
76Texan
Hall of Fame

More Pitts games and I'm liking Dom Decicco more.
This guy would be a steal in the 7th.
I think he has a chance to be a starter; at the least he will be very good depth.
100% more impressive than Barber in college.

Play hard, play smart, my kind of guy!

Andrew Rich and Decicco are my two sleepers at safety.
(Perhaps Antwine Perez, too!)
Old 02-13-2011   #140
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Hey 76Texan, have you had a chance to look at guys that were considered 1st rounders before the season started such as DeAndre McDaniel from Clemson (I think).

He seems to have completely fallen off the radar after being dubbed as a possible 1st round pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read