Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-04-2011   #81
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive Secondary 2011 NFL Draft

Of course mock drafts are worth what you pay for them, but here is the updated mock draft from the Great Blue North Draft Report. As you can see here and at NFLDraftScout Patrick Peterson (6-1, 222, 4.42, LSU) appears to be the number one ranked CB at this time. However, according the GBN's mock, he will be taken off the board one pick before the Texans get to choose, by the Washington Redskins.

This guy appears to be one of the biggest true CB's I have ever seen.

Code:
1 	Carolina 	*Andrew Luck		QB	Stanford
2	Denver 		*Da'Quan Bowers 	DE	Clemson
3	Buffalo 	*Blaine Gabbert		QB	Missouri
4	Cincinnati	*Nick Fairley		DE	Auburn
5	Arizona		*Ryan Mallett		QB	Arkansas
6	Cleveland 	*A.J. Green		WR	Georgia
7	San Francisco	*Cam Newton		QB	Auburn
8 	Tennessee	*Justin Blackmon	WR	Oklahoma State
9	Dallas 		*Marcel Dareus		DE	Alabama
10	Washington 	*Patrick Peterson	CB	LSU
11 	Houston 	*Robert Quinn		DE	North Carolina
12	Minnesota 	Jake Locker		QB	Washington
13 	Detroit 	Adrian Clayborn		DE	Iowa
14 	St. Louis	*Julio Jones		WR	Alabama
15	Miami		*Mark Ingram		RB	Alabama
16 	Jacksonville 	Ryan Kerrigan		DE	Purdue
17 	New England  	Allen Bailey 		DE	Miami
18	San Diego 	Von Miller		LB	Texas A&M
19 	New York Giants Nate Solder		OT	Colorado
20	Tampa Bay 	*Aldon Smith		DE	Missouri
*21 	Seattle 	Prince Amukamara	CB	Nebraska
*22 	Kansas City 	*Akeem Ayers		LB	UCLA
*23	Indianapolis 	Derek Sherrod		OT	Mississippi State
*24	Philadelphia 	Stephen Paea		DT	Oregon State
*25	Green Bay	*J.J. Watt 		DE	Wisconsin
*26	New Orleans 	Marvin Austin		DT	North Carolina
*27	Chicago 	Anthony Castonzo	OT	Boston College
*28 	New York Jets 	Cameron Heyward		DE	Ohio State
*29	Baltimore 	Cameron Jordan 		DE	California
*30	Pittsburgh 	Gabe Carimi		OT	Wisconsin
*31	Atlanta 	*Michael Floyd		WR	Notre Dame
*32	New England 	*Justin Houston		LB	Georgia
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #82
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
And an OLB

Luckily the draft is deep enough that with Dunta's comp pick. They should be able to fill the OLB, NT and get 2 S in the 1st 3 rds.

The only way I wouldn't fill these positions is if A.J. Green was available. Then I would think about trading down. But it would alot. Green is a stud.

I like Sash,and the 2 Fla. S Hill,Black in the third. One of those guys probably would be available in the 4th rd.
Agree. Oh me, totally left our LB position. You are right, we are already thin on the position especially if we are moving our D to 3-4. (Barwin should be a good fit at OLB position if healthy).
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #83
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandon Harris has just declared he is coming out early http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/spor...010411aaa.html

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #84
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Of course mock drafts are worth what you pay for them, but here is the updated mock draft from the Great Blue North Draft Report.
That mock has 5 QBs (and 4 DEs) being taken in the first 12 picks! I would love for there to be a run on QBs that early: seeing as I don't think the Texans will be selecting a QB, that should really help the choices available to them (though the run on DL will not help...).
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #85
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How about somebody putting up a ranking of the FS, SS, and CB for this upcoming draft?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #86
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
How about somebody putting up a ranking of the FS, SS, and CB for this upcoming draft?
Here is what I have so far. Some guys I've seen a lot more of than others. The rankings are still in progress and if anybody has any critiques I'm open to them. I dvr as many games as I can, but I still can't watch everybody.

CB
1. Patrick Peterson - LSU
2. Prince Amukamara - Nebraska
3. Brandon Harris - Miami
4. Jimmy Smith - Colorado
5. Aaron Williams - Texas
6. Ras-I Dowling - Virginia
7. Davon House - New Mexico St
8. Brandon Burton - Utah

FS
1. Rahim Moore - UCLA
2. Deunta Williams - North Carolina
3. Quinton Carter - Oklahoma
4. Jaiquawn Jarrett - Temple
5. Will Hill - Florida

SS
1. DeAndre McDaniel - Clemson
2. Tyler Sash - Iowa
3. Jeron Johnson - Boise St
4. Robert Sands - West Virginia
5. Tejay Johnson - TCU
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #87
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we draft a CB in the first and have him starting, i will /wrist...

However, if we draft a CB, and sign two via FA..I think i could get over it =)
Old 01-18-2011   #88
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Here is what I have so far. Some guys I've seen a lot more of than others. The rankings are still in progress and if anybody has any critiques I'm open to them. I dvr as many games as I can, but I still can't watch everybody.

CB
3. Brandon Harris - Miami I like Aaron Williams more than Brandon Harris.
4. Jimmy Smith - Colorado Haven't seen him play much.
6. Ras-I Dowling - Virginia Solid player but nothing spectacular.
8. Brandon Burton - Utah

FS
1. Rahim Moore - UCLA
4. Jaiquawn Jarrett - TempleDon't know him.
5. Will Hill - Florida

SS
2. Tyler Sash - Iowa
5. Tejay Johnson - TCU

I like it. Our S rankings are practically dead on, except I don't know this guy from Temple.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #89
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I like it. Our S rankings are practically dead on, except I don't know this guy from Temple.
Jarrett hasn't really received that much publicity yet. I think he will eventually as we get closer to the draft.

He doesn't have great size, but he has decent size. I don't know exactly but he is around 6'0" 200 lbs.

I saw a few Temple games this year and although he doesn't have great speed, he is all over the field making plays. He was a four year starter and led the team in INTs the last three years. He was also second on the team in tackles this year and last, and led the team in tackles as a soph.

He seems to be a very smart player. He just seems to know what is happening around him. He's not an elite athlete, but he makes up for it.

He probably will not be the fourth FS drafted, but I just fell in love with the guy while watching him. He's just a gutsy, intelligent player.
Old 01-18-2011   #90
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

You don't have Eric Hagg (Nebraska) on your list?

I saw McDaniel play mostly FS against Maryland.
Solid (just as I remember him from last year - off my memory), but I'd like to watch more of him, just as Johnson.

Sash, in the 3 games that I watch so far, plays more as a prototype SS.
He made a couple of mistakes, but overall was pretty good.
He's like a bullet, lock-load-and ready to go, as soon as he makes his read.
He's another possibility.
Old 01-18-2011   #91
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You don't have Eric Hagg (Nebraska) on your list?

I saw McDaniel play mostly FS against Maryland.
Solid (just as I remember him from last year - off my memory), but I'd like to watch more of him, just as Johnson.

Sash, in the 3 games that I watch so far, plays more as a prototype SS.
He made a couple of mistakes, but overall was pretty good.
He's like a bullet, lock-load-and ready to go, as soon as he makes his read.
He's another possibility.
Hagg is in my top ten. I just posted the top 5.

I think McDaniel can play either safety spot in the NFL. I just listed him at SS. He would be my #3 FS.

I like Sash. He is limited athletically, but he has great instincts. Almost always the first hat to the ball.
Old 01-19-2011   #92
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 62918 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to have Hagg, he brings an all around game that Pollard only dreams about.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #93
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I'd love to have Hagg, he brings an all around game that Pollard only dreams about.
Could Tyler Sash play SS for us? Seems built for a FS but regardless of position he is a ball-hawk that can hit.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #94
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Could Tyler Sash play SS for us? Seems built for a FS but regardless of position he is a ball-hawk that can hit.
Sash is definitely a SS in the pros. He is a decent athlete, but not fluid enough to be a FS.

I'm a big fan of his in the second or third round.
Old 01-21-2011   #95
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

CB
3. Brandon Harris - Miami
4. Jimmy Smith - Colorado
6. Ras-I Dowling - Virginia
8. Brandon Burton - Utah

FS
1. Rahim Moore - UCLA
5. Will Hill - Florida

SS
2. Tyler Sash - Iowa
5. Tejay Johnson - TCU
How much better is R. Moore than Q. Carter in your opinion? I've seen Carter rated as the top FS and Moore the 2nd rated. Both are projected to go in the 2nd round.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #96
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

You really cant go wrong with most of the top rated safeties in the next draft.

Moore, Williams, Carter, Jarrett, McDaniel, Sash, all are players I would like to see on the Texans.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #97
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sash is somebody that should fall to the middle of the 3rd to the top of the 4th rd.

If you pick a NT like Fua at pick # 66 or so and Sash is sitting there at 80-85 would you be willing to give up oh say Okoye and a 4th to move up and draft Sash?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #98
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Sash is somebody that should fall to the middle of the 3rd to the top of the 4th rd.

If you pick a NT like Fua at pick # 66 or so and Sash is sitting there at 80-85 would you be willing to give up oh say Okoye and a 4th to move up and draft Sash?
can't believe I'm saying this, but Amobi Okoye is near untouchable.

with total investment & unknown, can any of us truely state that he's been put into the best of positions to maximize his abilites? I'm willing to error on the side of caution. Let's say he just needs some tweeking, a new position (3-4 DE) & take advantage of his God given special talent, that was shedding blockers & sacking the QB which was the reason for being selected 10th overall in first place.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #99
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I know how you feel.

But after seeing how bad the secondary was this yr.

I'm willing to go to extremes, (trading Okoye) trading up to get Peterson, signing ASO,Bailey.Taylor) to fix what has been aproblem for yrs.

If you're honest with your evaluations the only competent DB on the current roster is Quin and they have him playing out of position.

The Texans problem is they are always thinking about how to fill a hole today so they can make the playoffs. Instead of saying we'got defensive problems. This yr we'reoing to fix the secondary by any means necessary and look forward to the 2012 draft to fix the DL/LB's.

They need to admit the numbers dont lie and it's going to take 2 yrs to fix this historically bad defense.

The down side to this is AJ will be 2 yrs older before they make the playoffs and Kubiak didn't do him any favors by letting him play on a sprained ankle all yr.

Even though Bob paid AJ I feel for him.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011   #100
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

FS
1. Rahim Moore - UCLA
5. Will Hill - Florida

SS
2. Tyler Sash - Iowa
5. Tejay Johnson - TCU
Early impressions, I got:
Moore > Carter > Hill
Moore and Carter both look good.
Either one of them would transplant Wilson (probably) sooner rather than later..

Not enough of watching McDaniel to evaluate yet, but he isn't bad.

Sash plays

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read