Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-24-2010   #41
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive Secondary 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I wouldn't mind bringing Champ Bailey in, he is a leader who is still feared by opposing QBs and WRs, he can provide on-the-field as well as off-the-field mentoring to our young DBs, and he can also help our offense out by going up against our WRs not named Andre and get them to improve there game.
Slightly off topic here but it makes me think that maybe why JJ, DA and DD have regressed or not really come on is that they spend their time practicing against our secondary and have become complacent about what it takes in the actual NFL against a real NFL secondary.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #42
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Slightly off topic here but it makes me think that maybe why JJ, DA and DD have regressed or not really come on is that they spend their time practicing against our secondary and have become complacent about what it takes in the actual NFL against a real NFL secondary.

That too, I agree with this as well. This offseason, for once I would like for the Texans to make a splash in the FA and get a guy with a proven track record to help us out regardless of what side of the ball it's on (I prefer a defensive player).
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #43
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That too, I agree with this as well. This offseason, for once I would like for the Texans to make a splash in the FA and get a guy with a proven track record to help us out regardless of what side of the ball it's on (I prefer a defensive player).
Agreed

But since it's not likely to happen. I will settle for a guy like Coffield that can provide stability in the middle of the DL.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #44
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans must use Free Agency this offseason to springboard into the draft, through OTA's, Fall camp, Pre-season & into the 2011 playoffs.

this is their last shot for me, I will unsubscribe otherwise

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #45
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Defensive Secondary 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
The Texans must use Free Agency this offseason to springboard into the draft, through OTA's, Fall camp, Pre-season & into the 2011 playoffs.

As soon as FA starts, our GM better hit the phones like the dude in your smiley!
Old 12-25-2010   #46
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

LOL

They have never used FA before to improve the team and the build through the draft sheeple failed to understand that when your behind the 8 ball so to speak. You have to make moves (spend $$$ over pay for a Bailey for ex. ) to rise above mediocrity.

So far this hasn't happened since the Texans inception. I dont expect this to change any time soon. However if the right people were put in place this team could be really good in 2-3 yrs. With a good personel dept.
Old 12-26-2010   #47
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Look folks, the type of FS everyone is clamoring for won't EVER be available on the FA market. EVER. Let that sink in. We would have to trade our entire first day away as a starting point for one as well.

I have the unfortunate privilege of watching the Chiefs play most weekends. Their defense wasn't good last year. They had a good LB (DJ - we passed on him, but Ryans and Cushing are both better) and they have a mediocre pass rusher in Hali (Mario is significantly better). They spent quite a few high draft picks on DTs who have only floundered around and disappointed (sound familiar?). Then, they DRAFTED Eric Berry. An elite level FS. He changed their entire defense. They have a QB who I call Matt Schaub light. They have Bowe as their #1 WR. Seriously, he is terrible. Absolutely terrible. We have a better QB, WR, LB, DE and a few more pieces. They have a strong running game like us. The difference is that they have true game changing FS. That's what we need, unfortunately, there isn't one in this draft. We should be aspiring to have a turnaround like the Chiefs.

Accept that and move along.
Old 12-26-2010   #48
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Donte Witner is probably going to be a FA. Free Agency is the place to look for us. Even then we won't land an "elite" FS but one that's 1000 times better than we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #49
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Look folks, the type of FS everyone is clamoring for won't EVER be available on the FA market. EVER. Let that sink in. We would have to trade our entire first day away as a starting point for one as well.

I have the unfortunate privilege of watching the Chiefs play most weekends. Their defense wasn't good last year. They had a good LB (DJ - we passed on him, but Ryans and Cushing are both better) and they have a mediocre pass rusher in Hali (Mario is significantly better). They spent quite a few high draft picks on DTs who have only floundered around and disappointed (sound familiar?). Then, they DRAFTED Eric Berry. An elite level FS. He changed their entire defense. They have a QB who I call Matt Schaub light. They have Bowe as their #1 WR. Seriously, he is terrible. Absolutely terrible. We have a better QB, WR, LB, DE and a few more pieces. They have a strong running game like us. The difference is that they have true game changing FS. That's what we need, unfortunately, there isn't one in this draft. We should be aspiring to have a turnaround like the Chiefs.

While I agree with your premise.

The main difference between the Texans and the Chiefs is Haley was secure enough in himself to hie 2 Coordinators that have SB rings. Kubiak on the otherhand.....
Old 12-26-2010   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Donte Witner is probably going to be a FA. Free Agency is the place to look for us. Even then we won't land an "elite" FS but one that's 1000 times better than we have.
Signing Whitner would be a low cost solution. Along with drafting another S in rds 3/4.

Does anybody know if the Texans will get a 3rd as a compensatory pick for losing Dunta? If so that would be huge.
Old 12-27-2010   #51
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
They have never used FA before to improve the team and the build through the draft sheeple failed to understand that when your behind the 8 ball so to speak. You have to make moves (spend $$$ over pay for a Bailey for ex. ) to rise above mediocrity.
The Texans have overpaid free agents to come here, but you need to realise that the really good FA, don't want to come here because the Texans are a losing team. If we become a contender you'll start to see some splashes.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #52
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Following are the compensatory free agents lost and signed last year by the clubs that will receive compensatory picks in the 2009 NFL Draft:

Compensatory draft picks last year:
Rd Pick Sel. # Team
3 33 97 New England
3 34 98 Cincinnati
3 35 99 Chicago
3 36 100 N.Y. Giants
4 33 133 San Diego
4 34 134 San Diego
4 35 135 Tennessee
4 36 136 Indianapolis
5 33 169 Pittsburgh
5 34 170 New England
5 35 171 San Francisco
5 36 172 Dallas
5 37 173 Tennessee
6 33 206 Tennessee
6 34 207 New England
6 35 208 Dallas
6 36 209 Cincinnati
7 33 242 Tennessee
7 34 243 Washington
7 35 244 San Francisco
7 36 245 Seattle
7 37 246 Chicago
7 38 247 Seattle
7 39 248 Seattle
7 40 249 Cincinnati
7 41 250 Jacksonville
7 42 251 Chicago
7 43 252 Cincinnati
7 44 253 Jacksonville
7 45 254 Arizona
7 46 255 Detroit
7 47 256 Kansas City

Arizona Cardinals
Lost: Bryant Johnson, Calvin Pace, Keydrick Vincent
Signed: Clark Haggans, Travis LaBoy, Bryan Robinson
Total compensatory picks: 1

*Arizona received a compensatory pick even though it did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents last year. Under the formula, the compensatory free agents Arizona lost were ranked higher than the ones it signed (by a specified point differential based upon salary and performance).

Chicago Bears
Lost: Brendon Ayanbadejo, Bernard Berrian, John Gilmore
Total compensatory picks: 3

Cincinnati Bengals
Lost: Landon Johnson, Bryan Robinson, Justin Smith, Alex Stepanovich, Madieu Williams
Signed: Antwan Odom
Total compensatory picks: 4

Dallas Cowboys
Lost: Julius Jones, Jacques Reeves
Total compensatory picks: 2

Indianapolis Colts
Lost: Jake Scott

Jacksonville Jaguars
Lost: Terry Cousin, Aaron Glenn, Sammy Knight, Bobby McCray, Ernest Wilford
Signed: Drayton Florence, Cleo Lemon, Jerry Porter

New England Patriots
Lost: Randall Gay, Asante Samuel, Donte’ Stallworth

New York Giants
Lost: Kawika Mitchell, Reggie Torbor, Gibril Wilson
Signed: Danny Clark, Sammy Knight

Pittsburgh Steelers
Lost: Alan Faneca, Clark Haggans
Signed: Mewelde Moore

San Diego Chargers
Lost: Drayton Florence, Michael Turner

San Francisco 49ers
Lost: Marques Douglas, Kwame Harris, Maurice Hicks, Justin Smiley
Signed: Bryant Johnson, Justin Smith

Seattle Seahawks
Lost: Kevin Bentley, Josh Brown, Chuck Darby, D.J. Hackett, Niko Koutouvides, Ellis Wyms
Signed: Keary Colbert (acquired via trade from Denver), T.J. Duckett, Julius Jones

Tennessee Titans
Lost: Jacob Bell, Chris Brown, Ben Hartsock, Travis LaBoy, Antwan Odom, Randy Starks
Signed: Jake Scott
Total compensatory picks: 4

Washington Redskins
Lost: Mark Brunell

Thirty compensatory picks were awarded to clubs based upon the compensatory pick formula. By rule, two additional choices were awarded at the end of the seventh round to bring the total number of compensatory selections to 32, equaling the number of NFL clubs. The two additional picks were awarded to Detroit and Kansas City based upon the 2009 draft selection order. (Note: St. Louis and Kansas City finished 2008 with identical records. St. Louis chooses second in all odd rounds and Kansas City chooses second in all even rounds. Once compensatory picks have been awarded according to the formula, draft selection order is followed to assign any remaining picks, and for this purpose, the assignment of the pick is made as if it were the eighth round, so Kansas City is awarded the choice.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1.) Prince Amukamara (Nebraska)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leX0rYpk9wc VS. Texas 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVeWn...eature=related VS. Justin Blackmon (Oklahoma St.)

My comments are based on his performance VS. Texas in 2009 as well as against Justin Blackmon. He does a good job of sticking to his man and keeping his eyes on the ball. Prince can also lay the wood and tackle but at times he hits to high or just launches himself at the fee of the opposing player.

Against Blackmon, he was schooled. He kept getting beat on the outside and would push him which would lead to a pass interference penalty. I also noticed that he had a tough time shedding his blocker and getting to the running back, not sure if holding was an issue.
I will come back to watch the 09 Texas game later.
But you're right, Amukara looked horrendous against Okl St.
If I have to base on this game only, I wouldn't even draft him, let alone considering him in the first round.

He didn't look great in the UT game this year either.
Both Dennard (his teammate) and Williams (UT) outplayed him in this game, from what I saw.

Also, it seems to me that Williams played quite a bit as the nickel corner.
Would you want to spend a first rounder on such a prospect?

At any rate, I still need to watch a lot more of these guys before I can have a good grasp so don't hold me for anything yet.
Old 12-30-2010   #54
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see The Texans taking FS in very early rounds(1st or 2nd rd). That kid from UCLA or free agency like the Rums safety Oshiomogho Atogwe would be nice.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #55
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I will come back to watch the 09 Texas game later.
But you're right, Amukara looked horrendous against Okl St.
If I have to base on this game only, I wouldn't even draft him, let alone considering him in the first round.

He didn't look great in the UT game this year either.
Both Dennard (his teammate) and Williams (UT) outplayed him in this game, from what I saw.

Also, it seems to me that Williams played quite a bit as the nickel corner.
Would you want to spend a first rounder on such a prospect?

At any rate, I still need to watch a lot more of these guys before I can have a good grasp so don't hold me for anything yet.

I haven't seen much of this guy which is why I want to watch him in a bowl game but my conclusions are the following A.) Prince could be grossly overrated and or being hyped up by draft gurus purely based on a few solid games he's had and B.) It seems to me that if you want a cornerback who can take on a receiver without needing support from safeties then Prince is NOT your guy.

Also, either Blackmon is the next AJ or Prince really has technique issues such as backpedaling and getting himself in position to at least knock the ball away.
Old 12-30-2010   #56
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
The Texans have overpaid free agents to come here, but you need to realise that the really good FA, don't want to come here because the Texans are a losing team. If we become a contender you'll start to see some splashes.
Peppers went to the highest bidder last yr. (The Bears were the highest bidder) This yr they have one of the best teams in the league. To be the best you have to make moves like the Bears do and pay top $$$$ like the Peppers deal. They also re-did Cutlers deal.

Bottom line is if you pay top $$$$ will they will come. You have to pay way over market value but they will come. It's called the price of doing business.

Of course McNair wants to run his team like the Steelers. They are the exception to the rule. They dont pay top $$$$ but stay on top.
Old 12-31-2010   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
I would like to see The Texans taking FS in very early rounds(1st or 2nd rd). That kid from UCLA or free agency like the Rums safety Oshiomogho Atogwe would be nice.
I wouldn't mind if they get both.
Also, I've been watching a bit more of the Tides and I'm starting to warm up to Barron as well.
(I only watched one UCLA game so far, I do like Rahim Moore.)
If they can't get a FA like Atogwe, I hope that they draft 2 safeties and a NT.
Old 12-31-2010   #58
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I haven't seen much of this guy which is why I want to watch him in a bowl game but my conclusions are the following A.) Prince could be grossly overrated and or being hyped up by draft gurus purely based on a few solid games he's had and B.) It seems to me that if you want a cornerback who can take on a receiver without needing support from safeties then Prince is NOT your guy.

Also, either Blackmon is the next AJ or Prince really has technique issues such as backpedaling and getting himself in position to at least knock the ball away.
I agree with you for now.
But I'd like to watch and learn more about him before drawing my conclusions.
Perhaps he just had a bad day and Blackmon was playing out of his mind?!?
Old 12-31-2010   #59
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVeWn3bwWTg
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010   #60
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post

Seriously?

Absolutely terrible?

I stopped reading after that..
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read