Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-15-2010   #1
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Defensive Secondary 2011 NFL Draft

I wanted to compile a list of the top prospects in the defensive secondary such as corner-backs and safeties in the 2011 NFL Draft. Since this is clearly a big need for the Texans, I would like to post my thoughts and YouTube highlights on each specific player. Please feel free to post your thoughts, comments, or videos in this thread.

The list is in no particular order...

Cornerbacks

1.) Prince Amukamara (Nebraska)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leX0rYpk9wc VS. Texas 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVeWn...eature=related VS. Justin Blackmon (Oklahoma St.)

My comments are based on his performance VS. Texas in 2009 as well as against Justin Blackmon. He does a good job of sticking to his man and keeping his eyes on the ball. Prince can also lay the wood and tackle but at times he hits to high or just launches himself at the fee of the opposing player.

Against Blackmon, he was schooled. He kept getting beat on the outside and would push him which would lead to a pass interference penalty. I also noticed that he had a tough time shedding his blocker and getting to the running back, not sure if holding was an issue.

2.) Patrick Peterson (LSU)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BngI6...eature=related VS. Bama'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0UUo...eature=related VS. Bama and Others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGCmF...eature=related VS. Mississippi St.

Patrick Peterson is the second coming of former Michigan great and current Packers corner-back Charles Woodson. He is tall (6'1") and has the size of a safety (220-Lbs). He is a true shut-down corner who can get in position and make an interception.

From what I have seen, he has good closing speed and seldom looses his footing when the receiver plants his feet and comes back. He can hit well and is a better tackler than Prince Amukamara IMO.

Another plus is that he is dangerous in the return game and has electrifying speed which allows him to stay with smaller, speedy receivers without getting burned.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #2
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9288 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive Secondary 2011 NFL Draft

You wont get either guy, but Texans have a chance at Harris
Old 12-15-2010   #3
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
You wont get either guy, but Texans have a chance at Harris
True, the Texans if they decide to go CB will probably go after Brandon Harris, so with that being said here's my take on him:

3.) Brandon Harris (Miami FL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0yjcu9CJvc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClHSQML1sew VS. Georgia Tech

Harris is a good CB who can tackle well in space and can stick to his man. Although not as tall as the CBs listed above him, he has decent size (5'11" 195-Lbs) and can bring down opposing players with hard hits. He does an excellent job of reading the offense and doesn't get fooled easily by fake handoffs as you can see in the GTech video.

He doesn't have the greatest set of hands as he tends to knock balls away instead of going for the interception. Regradless, when he sticks to his man he puts himself in great position to make a play and knock the football away.

4.) Janoris Jenkins (Florida)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqBx...eature=related VS. Bama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWNhED7SK2o VS. Miami (Ohio)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxPR...eature=related VS. USF

Jenkins is similar to Brandon Harris is terms of size (5'11" 184-Lbs). In the Bama' video he looks slower than what I've seen while watching him play other teams. He also gets beat by the receiver he was covering and took some poor angles. He tends to fly at opposing receivers and running backs instead of using proper form.

I haven't watched him as closely as some of the other corners but from what I have seen he has potential to become a solid player at the pro level. He needs a lot more coaching and development and as of right now he does not look like a first round pick IMO.

If anyone wants to add anything about Jenkins and or offer your insights please post...
Old 12-20-2010   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

After the combine I think they'll go in this order in the draft:

1. Prince Amukamara
2. Brandon Harris
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Janoris Jenkins

I think Amukamara will be gone when we pick and that we should have a good shot at Harris or Peterson and think that Harris will be the better CB in the NFL. I think Peterson is a better fit at FS.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #5
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
After the combine I think they'll go in this order in the draft:

1. Prince Amukamara
2. Brandon Harris
3. Patrick Peterson
4. Janoris Jenkins

I think Amukamara will be gone when we pick and that we should have a good shot at Harris or Peterson and think that Harris will be the better CB in the NFL. I think Peterson is a better fit at FS.

I need to watch Amukamara in the bowl game because from what I saw against Ok. St. (the actual game and not the YouTube videos), he was constantly getting beat by Blackmon. He will most likely be gone, but I think he is overrated at this point.

Otherwise, I agree with your choices except I would have Patrick Peterson, Brandon Harris, Prince Amukamara, and then Janoris Jenkins as there are very few solid CBs to choose from this year.
Old 12-20-2010   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not neccessary to get production from the CB position only from using your first round pick. Matter of fact if the powers that be remain there should be a moratorium on taking a first round db. Problem is I don't know what the Texans are really good at developing/projecting other than offense. Maybe Rhodes can step up if his health allows? we need a defensive guru who not only has an eye for talent but also knows how & where to line them up on Sundays

I would like to see use of a 2nd or 3rd on a NFL caliber CB. Chase Minnifield, son of former NFL Pro-Bowl CB Frank Minnifield, plays for Virginia has submitted paperwork to the NFL advisory board. He'll get a mid 2nd to mid 3rd round grade, if that's enough to entice him Texans might bring him in for a workout? Good measureables, 6-0 185 4.45 forty.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 12-20-2010 at 10:57 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My CB ratings go like this

1. Peterson- Onve in a lifetime athlete, has size of a S feet of a CB. If he doesn't make it at CB (which I believe he will) he will be an all pro S for 10 yrs. You cant go wrong taking Peterson. IMHO

2. Amukamara- He is a really good CB, He probably will be an all pro. But it will take a little time for him to get adjusted to the NFL. His physical brand of covering the WR's doesn't translate as well to the NFL. As Peterson or Harris.

3.Harris- He remids me of Ryan McNeil type CB. He is good at covering WR's and will set the edge against the run. Harris may make a pro bowl or 2 and be a solid 10 yr starter. But he doesn't have the upside of the top 2 CB's. IMHO

4. Aaron Williams- He had a down yr this yr as did the Texas defense as a whole. But this kid has the size speed and attitude to be a great CB. He's good in man to man or zone and he's bigger than Jenkins and sets the edge better. IMHO Williams will have to learn to set the edge just like Amukamara. Ibelieve and I know the experts dont agree with me, That Williams is as good as Amukamara

If Williams is there late in the 1st the Texans should trade up to get him. IMHO Williams will be a much better pro than K.Jackson. IMHO He will be a steal late in the 1st or early in the 2nd. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2010   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
My CB ratings go like this

1. Peterson- Onve in a lifetime athlete, has size of a S feet of a CB. If he doesn't make it at CB (which I believe he will) he will be an all pro S for 10 yrs. You cant go wrong taking Peterson. IMHO

2. Amukamara- He is a really good CB, He probably will be an all pro. But it will take a little time for him to get adjusted to the NFL. His physical brand of covering the WR's doesn't translate as well to the NFL. As Peterson or Harris.

3.Harris- He remids me of Ryan McNeil type CB. He is good at covering WR's and will set the edge against the run. Harris may make a pro bowl or 2 and be a solid 10 yr starter. But he doesn't have the upside of the top 2 CB's. IMHO

4. Aaron Williams- He had a down yr this yr as did the Texas defense as a whole. But this kid has the size speed and attitude to be a great CB. He's good in man to man or zone and he's bigger than Jenkins and sets the edge better. IMHO Williams will have to learn to set the edge just like Amukamara. Ibelieve and I know the experts dont agree with me, That Williams is as good as Amukamara

If Williams is there late in the 1st the Texans should trade up to get him. IMHO Williams will be a much better pro than K.Jackson. IMHO He will be a steal late in the 1st or early in the 2nd. IMHO
I dont think you have enough IMHOs in there steelb.

Anyway, I agree with your breakdown of the first 3 guys, with the minor exception that, while I agree Peterson could be a great CB, his best position in the NFL would be FS, and he would help this team a ton at the position.

About Williams- I am not one of the experts, but I agree with them here. Williams looks like a 2nd/3rd rounder to me. He will stick in the NFL for a decade, but as a 3rd CB, maybe 2nd for a couple years in his prime.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #9
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you honestly see the Texans take a CB with the first pick? Who's spot does he take? I think Glover has been playing well as of late. And are we already calling it quits on Kareem Jackson?

I'd prefer to go free safety in the first round... Pending someone is there worth taking.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #10
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Do you honestly see the Texans take a CB with the first pick? Who's spot does he take? I think Glover has been playing well as of late. And are we already calling it quits on Kareem Jackson?

I'd prefer to go free safety in the first round... Pending someone is there worth taking.

That's the problem. There are NO safeties worth taking in the first round at the position we're going to be drafting. Unless if we moved down the draft and go for a guy like Deunta Williams (UNC) and pick up some draft picks in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Old 12-20-2010   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

edit

And yes I can see that my ADD is alive and well. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
edit

And yes I can see that my ADD is alive and well. LOL
No worries, I wasn't making fun man. I have a friend who does the same thing, different phrase, but same idea.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post

In the off-season, I hope to have time to break down each play (I have but mostly just in my mind; I just haven't put hardly any of them into written words.)

Overall, our 3 CBs (KJ, Quin, and Allen) did not play any worse than the combination of the CBs that we have faced the whole year.
(They may even played better, but I'm not ready to say that!)
They just didn't have the same help as the CBs from the other teams had from a multitude of source (safeties, pressure up front, as well as the help from LBs in the short zones.)

KJ, IMHO, can play CB even though he may not become a first-tier cover corner.
He has the skill set to play nickel or FS as well.
He's a very good tackler and he can get off blockers to get to the ball (as a FS, that would help this team a lot). I do not like the idea of Quin at FS for this reason.
As a nickel, KJ can be near the QB and RB more often where we can send him in on a blitz or a run blitz, situations in which his ability can be maximized; however, I also think that Quin can be utilized much the same way.

I don't have problem with drafting a CB and shift KJ to the FS spot if there's no first-round grade safety in this draft.

No matter what, we need more pressure up front; especially in the middle.
Hopefully Mario can be healthier than this year and that Barwin can come back 100%.
With Anderson and Jamison outside, we can use Smith more on the inside so that we can have a deeper rotation and the guys can go all out on each play.
A good NT in the draft wouldn't hurt either.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
It's not neccessary to get production from the CB position only from using your first round pick. Matter of fact if the powers that be remain there should be a moratorium on taking a first round db. Problem is I don't know what the Texans are really good at developing/projecting other than offense. Maybe Rhodes can step up if his health allows? we need a defensive guru who not only has an eye for talent but also knows how & where to line them up on Sundays

I would like to see use of a 2nd or 3rd on a NFL caliber CB. Chase Minnifield, son of former NFL Pro-Bowl CB Frank Minnifield, plays for Virginia has submitted paperwork to the NFL advisory board. He'll get a mid 2nd to mid 3rd round grade, if that's enough to entice him Texans might bring him in for a workout? Good measureables, 6-0 185 4.45 forty.
Thanks for mentioning about Minnifield.
I've been wanting to watch that CB from Virginia 6'2 Ras-I Dowling, so I can spend time watching Minnifield as well.

Any thought on Dowling?

Also, thanks to Texan4ever for all the infos and videos.
Old 12-20-2010   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Duplication... Deleted.
Old 12-20-2010   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
In the off-season, I hope to have time to break down each play (I have but mostly just in my mind; I just haven't put hardly any of them into written words.)

Overall, our 3 CBs (KJ, Quin, and Allen) did not play any worse than the combination of the CBs that we have faced the whole year.
(They may even played better, but I'm not ready to say that!)
They just didn't have the same help as the CBs from the other teams had from a multitude of source (safeties, pressure up front, as well as the help from LBs in the short zones.)

KJ, IMHO, can play CB even though he may not become a first-tier cover corner.
He has the skill set to play nickel or FS as well.
He's a very good tackler and he can get off blockers to get to the ball (as a FS, that would help this team a lot). I do not like the idea of Quin at FS for this reason.
As a nickel, KJ can be near the QB and RB more often where we can send him in on a blitz or a run blitz, situations in which his ability can be maximized; however, I also think that Quin can be utilized much the same way.

I don't have problem with drafting a CB and shift KJ to the FS spot if there's no first-round grade safety in this draft.

No matter what, we need more pressure up front; especially in the middle.
Hopefully Mario can be healthier than this year and that Barwin can come back 100%.
With Anderson and Jamison outside, we can use Smith more on the inside so that we can have a deeper rotation and the guys can go all out on each play.
A good NT in the draft wouldn't hurt either.
some good stuff. Wonder if Kubiak would consider moving Kareem to FS? what about moving Quinn to SS? one thing for sure is the secondary would look alot different. Quinn is second only to Pollard in tackles, is also physical but gives Texans huge upgrade in coverage. Kareem is 4th on team in tackles would like to see him over the top more to support other cb's since he must have a better understanding what it's like not to have any support & do his best to cover-up soft zone or mis-matches on edge.

would like Texans first rd. pecking order to look something like this -
1. Marcell Dareus
2. Nick Fairley
3. Adrian Clayborn
4. Stephen Paea
then address CB in 2nd
1. Chase Minnifield
2. Ras-I Dowling
plus pick up a top flight vet free agent cb
1. Champ Bailey
2. Eric Wright

results would be a better pass rush, less time for QB's to make good reads/throws into a much tighter secondary.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #17
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see the Texans wheel and deal and move up to get Peterson.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I would like to see the Texans wheel and deal and move up to get Peterson.
I would like to see Fairley.
Old 12-21-2010   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
would like Texans first rd. pecking order to look something like this -
1. Marcell Dareus
2. Nick Fairley
3. Adrian Clayborn
4. Stephen Paea
then address CB in 2nd
1. Chase Minnifield
2. Ras-I Dowling
plus pick up a top flight vet free agent cb
1. Champ Bailey
2. Eric Wright

results would be a better pass rush, less time for QB's to make good reads/throws into a much tighter secondary.
I like that!

I haven't watched Dowling play but can he be converted to safety?
Maybe one of the guys from Clemson also?
Old 12-21-2010   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't see the Texans taking a corner in the first if this regime is still here.

I just don't see Kubiak shelving Kareem Jackson that quickly...I think he will give him every opprotunity to be a starter next year...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read