Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2010   #21
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "It's on us."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
No, there are crazy scary problems with coaching here.

1.) the LBs have been playing a funky sort of "zone" all year long. How many times has a team's RB come out of the backfield, unaccounted for, and ran to the open patch of field in between our LBs who are playing zone/read-n-react? Too many times to count. Teams know this about us: They know they can allow the RB to hesitate in the backfield, then release and just allow the RB to go to the open space in the middle of the field--Wherever the LBs aren't is where the RB will be. THAT is a coaching problem. One of our LBs needs to be manning up on the RB immediately at the snap, and it shuts that whole system down.

2.) Our "young secondary" was chosen by the coaches. That's on the coaches. They decided to go as young as they have, and it is 100% admitted by Kubiak that we decided " to go young" and that he knows there will be growing pains for them, but that "Gosh darn it, I just believe in those kids...' See a pattern yet? Yep: Coaching mistakes.

3.) That young secondary is playing almost a 5-to-10-yard cushion on the majority of plays, not manning up and jamming their guys at the line. Result? We get killed on short passes, and we get killed on long passes. Monday night was one of the first times I saw the TEXANS astually beat another team's secondary with the same play that teams burn our secondary with: That play where AJ slipped by Reed just before the half--How many times have we watched WRs slip between Jackson and Wilson for that very same play? At least 10 or 12 times. Every team has done it to us. Coaching, coaching, coaching.

4.) Playcalling has been atrocious. We're best when Schaub is running 2-minute drill. Why? Because the two "adults" (Kubiak and Dennison) are not calling the shots. The "kid" (Schaub) is. And look what happens: Our team finds a rhythm. Shocker, eh? The game-ending interception was a series of plays NOT called by Matt Schaub. Period. Just a little peek at what's going on there. Coaching.

5.) Roster decisions. Kris Brown is my poster boy for this little point of contention. Should have been benched, at the best, or released, at the worst. The fact that Kubiak even HAD a kicker competition is a joke. Coaching. Slaton returning kicks? Seriously? Yeah, I bet a career special teams guy (Marciano) was the one who ordered THAT...not. Gotta' keep Stevie Blunder out there, any way we can, to make "the kid" feel OK and remain a part of the team. Dude should be cut. Period. It's just a business.

The whole system is a joke. A really bad joke. Nobody respects us. Even Suggs went and HUGGED Schaub after the game-ending interception. That's how we are viewed: The sad sacks who can't catch a break, but who should definitely be making their own breaks.

Out of the thousands of plays that get made on the field, players are going to mess up. But if they are screwed before they even get there, it magnifies and multiplies the problems that happen during a game. Coaches can't play. Players play. Coaches prepare and keep the players prepared. So if a coach can't play, he better do HIS job as good as he desires his players to.

I don't even think we know HALF of the type of Mickey Mouse stuff that's going on with this team over the past 5 years. Once Kubiak is gone, and some time separates people from their emotions, I bet we see or hear some pretty amusing facts about how the Kubiak staff handled daily life within the Texans franchise.
This one line in your entire post is very important. I said over the summer that we are the only NFL team that would have a kicking competition. It was absurd, and pointed to sheer indeciveness. Kris Brown should have been cut in the middle of last season, kind of like teams are cutting their kickers now.

I said it in the middle of last year, and it bears repeating: You can't head into the playoffs with a weak kicker. You can't.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read