Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2010   #1
BullsOnParade
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 283 BullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "It's on us."

Bernard Pollard just stood up for Kubiak like Kubiak does for his players on BP's SportsRadio610 show.

I think it's time for Kubiak to go. He seems like a great guy, and he's a good offensive mind, but it's evident he's rubbing off on his guys the wrong way.

There's something to be said for Kubiak's playing career. He was good enough to be a backup, but not quite a starter. It seems that has translated to his coaching career. Good enough to be a OC, not quite a HC.

I think a change of scenery might be good for him. I wish him the best of luck if he leaves.

We need someone who isn't as much of a player's coach.
BullsOnParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #2
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "It's on us."

All the guys love Gary, because the Texans are currently the EASIEST
paycheck in the NFL.

Don't win? No problem.

You still make BANK by "battlin'" for Kubiak.
Old 12-14-2010   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullsOnParade View Post
Bernard Pollard just stood up for Kubiak like Kubiak does for his players on BP's SportsRadio610 show.

I think it's time for Kubiak to go. He seems like a great guy, and he's a good offensive mind, but it's evident he's rubbing off on his guys the wrong way.

There's something to be said for Kubiak's playing career. He was good enough to be a backup, but not quite a starter. It seems that has translated to his coaching career. Good enough to be a OC, not quite a HC.

I think a change of scenery might be good for him. I wish him the best of luck if he leaves.

We need someone who isn't as much of a player's coach.
I really don't think him being a backup QB has anything to do with him being a sub par head coach. More professional coaches were backups or role players......it's how they learned how to coach, they were sitting or standing next to coaches and discussing plays.

I just think he's a sub par head coach, because that's just what he is. I can't knock anybody for being John Elway's backup, alot of QBs would be John Elway's backup.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #4
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll bet Kyle Shanahan becomes a better coach than Kubiak has been.

Gary has all the smarts in the world, but he has no leadership
ability.
Old 12-14-2010   #5
BullsOnParade
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 283 BullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I really don't think him being a backup QB has anything to do with him being a sub par head coach. More professional coaches were backups or role players......it's how they learned how to coach, they were sitting or standing next to coaches and discussing plays.

I just think he's a sub par head coach, because that's just what he is. I can't knock anybody for being John Elway's backup, alot of QBs would be John Elway's backup.
I can't completely disagree with your opinion; I factored that in. I just think in this case, there might me something to his mental fortitude both on the playing field and on the sideline.
BullsOnParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

As I stated in another thread, 98% of the players have to be careful to stay on the right side of things. Players not named AJ or Schaub know they can't sound off in an honest manner because they, like us, know McNair could easily allow Kubiak to return next year.

People are saying and doing the smart thing.
Old 12-14-2010   #7
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

If i was mcnair right now i would not Trust anybody

THe GM the coaches the office and esp the players this a a Kubes built team now all these players were handpicked by Kubes and Rick smith

If i was mcnair i would try and contact some outside advisors and hell maybe even call his buddy up north Jerry JOnes and come up with a plan on what 2 do
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2010   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Pollard tells it how it is and yet we are still complaining about the coach.

How many drives were killed in the first half due to dropped passes ?
How many of those drops turned into turnovers and points for the Ravens ?
How many of those drops cost the team a TD ?

How many missed tackles were there in this game .... with players in position to make a play.
How many guy's missed a tackle on the TD return ? (at least 3) that dug their hole deeper ?
How many times on 3rd and long did they miss tackles that allowed first downs and drives to continue ?

Pollard is right , its on them - The players. They didnt produce and their coaching staff put them in position to do so. Thats the coaches job , to put the players in a position to suceed. Not to make the tackle or catch hte pass for them ....

Keep looking for a scapegoat ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #9
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

How many missed tackles were there in this game .... with players in position to make a play.
How many guy's missed a tackle on the TD return ? (at least 3) that dug their hole deeper ?
How many times on 3rd and long did they miss tackles that allowed first downs and drives to continue ?

Pollard is right , its on them - The players. They didnt produce and their coaching staff put them in position to do so. Thats the coaches job , to put the players in a position to suceed. Not to make the tackle or catch hte pass for them ....

They don't need to look. They've had their scapegoat for three seasons now.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No, there are crazy scary problems with coaching here.

1.) the LBs have been playing a funky sort of "zone" all year long. How many times has a team's RB come out of the backfield, unaccounted for, and ran to the open patch of field in between our LBs who are playing zone/read-n-react? Too many times to count. Teams know this about us: They know they can allow the RB to hesitate in the backfield, then release and just allow the RB to go to the open space in the middle of the field--Wherever the LBs aren't is where the RB will be. THAT is a coaching problem. One of our LBs needs to be manning up on the RB immediately at the snap, and it shuts that whole system down.

2.) Our "young secondary" was chosen by the coaches. That's on the coaches. They decided to go as young as they have, and it is 100% admitted by Kubiak that we decided " to go young" and that he knows there will be growing pains for them, but that "Gosh darn it, I just believe in those kids...' See a pattern yet? Yep: Coaching mistakes.

3.) That young secondary is playing almost a 5-to-10-yard cushion on the majority of plays, not manning up and jamming their guys at the line. Result? We get killed on short passes, and we get killed on long passes. Monday night was one of the first times I saw the TEXANS astually beat another team's secondary with the same play that teams burn our secondary with: That play where AJ slipped by Reed just before the half--How many times have we watched WRs slip between Jackson and Wilson for that very same play? At least 10 or 12 times. Every team has done it to us. Coaching, coaching, coaching.

4.) Playcalling has been atrocious. We're best when Schaub is running 2-minute drill. Why? Because the two "adults" (Kubiak and Dennison) are not calling the shots. The "kid" (Schaub) is. And look what happens: Our team finds a rhythm. Shocker, eh? The game-ending interception was a series of plays NOT called by Matt Schaub. Period. Just a little peek at what's going on there. Coaching.

5.) Roster decisions. Kris Brown is my poster boy for this little point of contention. Should have been benched, at the best, or released, at the worst. The fact that Kubiak even HAD a kicker competition is a joke. Coaching. Slaton returning kicks? Seriously? Yeah, I bet a career special teams guy (Marciano) was the one who ordered THAT...not. Gotta' keep Stevie Blunder out there, any way we can, to make "the kid" feel OK and remain a part of the team. Dude should be cut. Period. It's just a business.

The whole system is a joke. A really bad joke. Nobody respects us. Even Suggs went and HUGGED Schaub after the game-ending interception. That's how we are viewed: The sad sacks who can't catch a break, but who should definitely be making their own breaks.

Out of the thousands of plays that get made on the field, players are going to mess up. But if they are screwed before they even get there, it magnifies and multiplies the problems that happen during a game. Coaches can't play. Players play. Coaches prepare and keep the players prepared. So if a coach can't play, he better do HIS job as good as he desires his players to.

I don't even think we know HALF of the type of Mickey Mouse stuff that's going on with this team over the past 5 years. Once Kubiak is gone, and some time separates people from their emotions, I bet we see or hear some pretty amusing facts about how the Kubiak staff handled daily life within the Texans franchise.
Old 12-15-2010   #11
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

This doesn't surprise me coming from Bernard.

Quote:
Bernard Pollard explains why the Texans should play hard for Gary Kubiak

“I’m not saying [the coaches] are gone,” Pollard told John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. “I don’t know what’s going on. But [new coaches] would bring in their players. If you’re on the bubble, you’re gone. If they have to question your effort, you’re gone. If they don’t like you, or if they didn’t draft you, you’re gone.”
Quote:
“I don’t think some of the guys understand that,” Pollard said. “You’re dealing with a lot of young guys and a lot of guys who have only been in this situation. They only know Kube. They only know these coaches. You bring in somebody else, they’re going to shake this thing up.”

Quote:
You don’t want to be that team, where everybody says, ‘Let’s get things started up against them,’ but right now, we’re that team,” Pollard said.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/09/bernard-pollard-explains-why-the-texans-should-play-hard-for-gary-kubiak/
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Pollard blows a lot of hot air. He had a decent game the other night, but he really wasn't in pass coverage as much as he usually is, which might explain why. He's right, he should take a look in the mirror. He should be afraid of new coaches coming in because most coaches don't want the Roy Williams type safety's.
Old 12-15-2010   #13
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think Pollard blows a lot of hot air. He had a decent game the other night, but he really wasn't in pass coverage as much as he usually is, which might explain why. He's right, he should take a look in the mirror. He should be afraid of new coaches coming in because most coaches don't want the Roy Williams type safety's.
In my mind, this is where I want Bernard. He is a true SS and this is the position he needs to be in. He needs to worry about run-support first, and only be given moderate pass-coverage in terms of zones.

People want him to be a true FS where he excels in man and zone coverage, and he will never be that. I can understand people's frustration with him, it's just a matter of what you want out of your safeties. Personally, I like him as he is and would like us to play him to his strengths and bring in a rangy FS.
Old 12-15-2010   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
In my mind, this is where I want Bernard. He is a true SS and this is the position he needs to be in. He needs to worry about run-support first, and only be given moderate pass-coverage in terms of zones.

People want him to be a true FS where he excels in man and zone coverage, and he will never be that. I can understand people's frustration with him, it's just a matter of what you want out of your safeties. Personally, I like him as he is and would like us to play him to his strengths and bring in a rangy FS.
Your idea of a "true SS" is old school, bro. The safety positions these days are basically interchangable and must have cover skills in todays "high flying" NFL. Otherwise, teams find ways to expose the old school type safety's.

I might be wrong, but I don't recall anyone wanting him to be a FS. Quin maybe, but dang sure not Pollard
Old 12-15-2010   #15
TheCD
All Pro

Quote:
Your idea of a "true SS" is old school, bro. The safety positions these days are basically interchangable and must have cover skills in todays "high flying" NFL. Otherwise, teams find ways to expose the old school type safety's.

I might be wrong, but I don't recall anyone wanting him to be a FS. Quin maybe, but dang sure not Pollard
I know I'm old school...but I imagine pairing him with a guy like Polamalu (sp?) and getting a WLB who excels in pass coverage. In a 4/3 I think this strategy helps keep the confusion on the QB as to who is the rusher and who's dropping into to coverage very well. Especially if we move Brian around a lot.
Old 12-15-2010   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
I know I'm old school...but I imagine pairing him with a guy like Polamalu (sp?) and getting a WLB who excels in pass coverage. In a 4/3 I think this strategy helps keep the confusion on the QB as to who is the rusher and who's dropping into to coverage very well. Especially if we move Brian around a lot.
Polamalu is considered a SS. I think Ed Reed's considered a FS. So, it further proves a point of needed them interchangable.

Hey, I'm old school too, but we need to do what we need to do to be successful on defense. Cuz what we're doing isn't working
Old 12-15-2010   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm not mistaken, Bill Cowher only started in like 4 games over his 4-5 year career and primarily only played special teams.

I wouldn't want that guy as a HC either...
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
All the guys love Gary, because the Texans are currently the EASIEST
paycheck in the NFL.

Don't win? No problem.

You still make BANK by "battlin'" for Kubiak.
So the Texans are an easier squad to secure a paycheck from than the Bengals, Browns, Bills, Lions, Panthers, Rams, 9ners and Seahawks?

Jeez you sure do love to hate on this team.

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #19
TheCD
All Pro

Quote:
Polamalu is considered a SS. I think Ed Reed's considered a FS. So, it further proves a point of needed them interchangable.

Hey, I'm old school too, but we need to do what we need to do to be successful on defense. Cuz what we're doing isn't working
Understand completely. I just prefer a 4/3 alignment with a true SS for this team (at least for now) because Bernard is good at what he does. If we get a good rangy FS and a good pass-covering WLB then I think we can fix this team faster.

If we replace Bernard right now, who is on the other side that is good at what they do? I think the better choice is replacing the other guy first.

(Besides, Bernard is the only player to sign something of mine before a game so I'm biased.)
Old 12-15-2010   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Let's assume for a second that all of the above reveals that it is ALL on the players.

My question still comes back to Occam's razor: Who picked these players?

No matter how you slice and dice it - schemes/game planning vs. player performance - ultimately this roster is representative of Gary Kubiak and his staff.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read