Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2010   #1
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cowher Thread: Status - Rumored that McNair likes idea of Cowher

Just wanted to pass along some friendly rumor-mongering after another heartbreaker last night. Per PFT:

Quote:
Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reiterated on Tuesday that the Lone Star State has become the most likely destination for Cowher.

“I told you awhile back that Texas is his most likely landing spot — Houston, Texas,” Bouchette writes. “And last night’s game made him even more inviting for those Texans.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...xas-after-all/

Last edited by Lucky; 12-14-2010 at 07:32 PM.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer
Default Re: Cowher could end up in Texas, after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
Just wanted to pass along some friendly rumor-mongering after another heartbreaker last night. Per PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/14/cowher-could-end-up-in-texas-after-all/
Don't be toying with my emotions.
Old 12-14-2010   #3
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 25372 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Only 3 potential coaches i'd get rid of Kubiak for:

Cowher, Gruden and Rob Ryan.
Old 12-14-2010   #4
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan View Post
Don't be toying with my emotions.
It is PFT, after all, so don't get too worked up.

I'm not an expert on the reporters in Pittsburgh, but I would say that they are at the very least moderately credible, in this regard.
Old 12-14-2010   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to see Cowher come here, but I'll believe it when I see it. The Texans and Oilers histories have been nothing but heartbreak and misery and I'm not expecting that to change anytime soon.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #6
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

This one is better:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-insane-stat/

Quote:
There are no easy solutions in Houston for owner Bob McNair. (Although Florio will float one idea shortly.)
12 pack of beer says that McNair can "trade" Kubiak to Denver. McNair doesnt look like an ass firing the hometown boy and Denver takes Kubiaks contract and stays employed. McNair then hires Cowher which just makes the city of Houston adore him and he sells more merchandise and tickets.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just popped a semi
Old 12-14-2010   #8
TheCD
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
This one is better:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-insane-stat/

12 pack of beer says that McNair can "trade" Kubiak to Denver. McNair doesnt look like an ass firing the hometown boy and Denver takes Kubiaks contract and stays employed. McNair then hires Cowher which just makes the city of Houston adore him and he sells more merchandise and tickets.

That would be awesome, but I just casn't see McNair being that aggressive. He's the kind of guy that shakes your hand and says "I'm going to let you go so you can do what makes you happy."
Old 12-14-2010   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My prediction is that early on Cowher will consistently indicate that another team is likely his first choice over the Texans by a fairly wide margin - primarily because the Texans recruiting effort is uninspired. Over the last half of the selection process, the Texans PR/Marketing machine led by Bob and Cal McNair crank their efforts up to full blast. This results in the Texans gradually increasing their attractiveness to Cowher until he indicates it's a dead heat between the Texans and Team X. Bob and Cal rejoice that their efforts have gotten them back into the competition, and revert to the original recruiting efforts. Shortly after that, it will be announced that Cowher is the new GM/VP of Football Operations, and Head Coach for Team X.
Old 12-14-2010   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

The only thing holding the team back from having any one of those guys is Bob's pocket book.
Old 12-14-2010   #11
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
That would be awesome, but I just casn't see McNair being that aggressive. He's the kind of guy that shakes your hand and says "I'm going to let you go so you can do what makes you happy."
Dont need to be that aggressive. It is an easy out for both McNair and Kubiak. If he has had even the remotest idea about replacing Kubiak its a win/win for everyone involved.

Well except for the liquor stores and heart surgeons in the Houston area.
Old 12-14-2010   #12
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure that this is any more than speculation on the part of the Pittsburgh writer.

Even so, this is a painfully obvious deduction. The best out of work coach would probably want to go to the team that already has the players in place and would require the least amount of work.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dont need to be that aggressive. It is an easy out for both McNair and Kubiak. If he has had even the remotest idea about replacing Kubiak its a win/win for everyone involved.

Well except for the liquor stores and heart surgeons in the Houston area.
The NFL changed the rules after the Tampa/Oakland trade of Gruden. You can no longer trade a coaches contract for draft-picks.
Old 12-14-2010   #14
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The NFL changed the rules after the Tampa/Oakland trade of Gruden. You can no longer trade a coaches contract for draft-picks.
Couple 12 packs of Coors Light then?
Old 12-14-2010   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I just popped a semi
Me too.....until I got to your post of poppin one as well.

Seriously, I just don't see this happening. It's just too good to be true. Cowher would still need to bring in a DC with a ground-draggin sack to give us a defense worth a darn
Old 12-14-2010   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Chiefs and the Jets did the same thing with Herm Edwards since the Gruden trade.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #17
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My prediction is that early on Cowher will consistently indicate that another team is likely his first choice over the Texans by a fairly wide margin - primarily because the Texans recruiting effort is uninspired. Over the last half of the selection process, the Texans PR/Marketing machine led by Bob and Cal McNair crank their efforts up to full blast. This results in the Texans gradually increasing their attractiveness to Cowher until he indicates it's a dead heat between the Texans and Team X. Bob and Cal rejoice that their efforts have gotten them back into the competition, and revert to the original recruiting efforts. Shortly after that, it will be announced that Cowher is the new GM/VP of Football Operations, and Head Coach for Team X.
Old 12-14-2010   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the game is already afoot. Cowher has stated recently that he will discuss any possible positions after the season is over. He's interested in coaching again. That statement puts a warm glow in Bob McNair's heart. It means that nobody like Jerry Jones will come along and snap up Cowher before the end of the season. It also tells McNair that Cowher is a stand up guy who isn't going to hover over currently struggling coaches jobs like a buzzard waiting for an opportunity (all while allowing him to do just that). He basically told every owner out there who's looking for a coach that he'll wait until the season is over to consider offers which puts him in their minds eye without making them move on him right now. Everybody gets to be classy about things that way. Bob likes that.

He can let the last three weeks play out with Gary without hearing his teams fans ***** that somebody else will hire Cowher while he sits on his hands.

I think next year Bill Cowher will be the head coach of the Houston Texans if Bob McNair wants him. I've thought that for some time now. He "fits" both our needs and our owners personality. McNair has a franchise-crush on the Steelers and this plays right into it. Cowher wants to win right away and not come in and rebuild a train wreck and I think he believes he can do that here.
Old 12-14-2010   #19
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

We should start a petition of some sort directed at Bob, saying that we we all commit to buying a minimum of $100 of gear from the Texans' store when Cowher is named our HC. Until then we will hold off from buying any more stuff.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #20
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 5456 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Couple 12 packs of Coors Light then?
I'd be willing to throw Jacoby in as well.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read