Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-13-2010   #1
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Super Bowl Winners

I decided to look at the Super Bowl winners for the past few decades.

Since 1993, when the Cowboys won the Super Bowl, 14 of the last 17 Super Bowl winners have had Hall of Fame locks as their quarterback.

Aikman, Aikman, Young, Aikman, Favre, Elway, Elway, Warner, Brady, Brady, Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees.

The only three that slipped in there that are not HOF qb's were Trent dilfer, Brad Johnson and Eli Manning.

The top ten scoring defenses since 2000 are as follows:

2000 Ravens 10.3
2000 Titans 11.9
2002 Bucs 12.2
2005 Bears 12.6
2006 Ravens 12.6

So, two of the three best scoring defenses in the past decade were the reason that Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer were able to slip in.
I guess the Giants can just be chalked up as being in the right place at the right time.

My conclusion is that you need to either have a HOF qb or a defense that is one of the top 3 or 4 of the last decade in order to stand a good chance at a Super Bowl victory.

You can actually go back farther than 17 years and find the same thing.
The 1991 Redskins gave up 14/game. The 1990 Giants gave up 13.2/game. The 88 and 89 Niners both had Joe Montana.

You would have to go back to the 1987 Redskins led by Doug Williams to find another incidence where you have neither a HOF qb or a defense for the ages.
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #2
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Bowl Winners

Interesting bit of info. Are you saying that we have neither and are totally boned? Or are you saying you think Matt can be the guy?

Please help clarify here because I don't think Matt is a HOF QB and I would have to be certifiable to think that our defense wasn't the polar opposite of historically good.

I may have to drink my sorrows away after work now...
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

We have a QB that has a first half completion% of 58%, 6.0 YPC average, and rating of 77.7 to go with a defense that allows mathletes on the chess club to score like jocks.
Old 12-13-2010   #4
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 16186 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

how about we worry about making the playoffs first before we talk about super bowls
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
how about we worry about making the playoffs first before we talk about super bowls
Hell, I'm worried about just winning a freakin meaningful game for once. This team historically pisses the playoffs away by midseason, so there's no real reason to worry about playoffs.

God! I'm becoming a "hater" and I hate it!
Old 12-13-2010   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a HOF QB and historically great defense all come from the top down. You dont just acquire them. You build them and make them what we are.

It all stems from ownership and coaching.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #7
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

LMAO so if Big Ben retired today, he's a LOCK?!?!? Child Please.

Brees is iffy as hell if he quit tomorrow morning.

And I like how you used 1993 and after.

1991 and 1990 couldn't be reached for comment huh?
Old 12-13-2010   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Defense.

Your defense has to either be devilishly strong, or get the right breaks at the right times, or both. Probably both.

I think once the playoffs hit, any team can win it.

Which is why THIS Texans team creates such animosity among its fans: We can get to the playoffs, but we can't get to the playoffs.

And don't expect ANY of the media's talking heads to choose the Texans as any sort of favorite next year. That ship has sailed. As of THIS season.

Not that they shape the future or anything, with their predictions, but it does mean that people take them less seriously. The "potential" description they tag us with? Gone. And a lot of fans here, if the Kubiak train still chugs along in 2011, will also be done with forecasting good things for the team.

Except the Potential Crowd. They'll hold firm that Kubiak is juuuust about to get things calibrated and tweaked and adjusted to juuuust the right setting for us to totally dominate in 2011. Was that tacky? Sorry. It's true. And I'm grumpy from knowing that I will watch my team get beat tonight (along with watching the Jags seize their opportunities by beating the Raiders yesterday).

Some teams find a way to move forward. Some teams find a way to let others move forward. 'Tis the season for giving.
Old 12-13-2010   #9
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
LMAO so if Big Ben retired today, he's a LOCK?!?!? Child Please.

Brees is iffy as hell if he quit tomorrow morning.

And I like how you used 1993 and after.

1991 and 1990 couldn't be reached for comment huh?
I mentioned all the way back to 1987.

The Giants with Eli are the only team since 1987 Redskins to have neither a HOF qb or a defense that was one for the ages and still win the Super Bowl.

The 1990 Giants and 1991 Redskins both gave up 14 or less which would be leading the league by a nice margin this year.

Schaub is not a HOF qb.
My point is this. If you don't have a HOF qb, then you need to be actively looking for one. Either that or hope and pray that the pieces fall in place for you to have a historically dominant defense and then hope for the best.

Brees has thrown for more yards than Steve Young and has the same number of Super Bowls. If he retired today he would be a lock. Roethlisberger is a lock assuming no injuries and even a mediocre career arc from here on out. He has two Super Bowls.

And yeah I just want to get to the playoffs too. Shooting for the Super Bowl though and falling just a bit short will still get you to the playoffs.
Old 12-13-2010   #10
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
I mentioned all the way back to 1987.

The Giants with Eli are the only team since 1987 Redskins to have neither a HOF qb or a defense that was one for the ages and still win the Super Bowl.

The 1990 Giants and 1991 Redskins both gave up 14 or less which would be leading the league by a nice margin this year.

Schaub is not a HOF qb.
My point is this. If you don't have a HOF qb, then you need to be actively looking for one. Either that or hope and pray that the pieces fall in place for you to have a historically dominant defense and then hope for the best.

Brees has thrown for more yards than Steve Young and has the same number of Super Bowls. If he retired today he would be a lock. Roethlisberger is a lock assuming no injuries and even a mediocre career arc from here on out. He has two Super Bowls.

And yeah I just want to get to the playoffs too. Shooting for the Super Bowl though and falling just a bit short will still get you to the playoffs.
I agree with Shark. Brees is one of the best QB's right now but I don't think he would be a lock if he retired after this year. If Roethlisberger made the HOF it would have to be because of how many Super Bowls he won. If he's a HOF QB you would have to think Schaub is too right now. Roethlisberger has only thrown for over 4000 yards once in his career (he won't get there this year). Brees has done it five times for comparison. If you want to hand out HOF because of how many Super Bowls he's won you might as well let Dilfer, Johnson & Eli in as well.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #11
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Roetheslberger is not a lock for the hall of fame. He has been a good QB but not great. He played terrible in the first super bowl. And those Steelers teams were known for their defense and timely offense.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
And don't expect ANY of the media's talking heads to choose the Texans as any sort of favorite next year. That ship has sailed. As of THIS season.
I don't know if you're trying to kid yourself or what, but you know as well as I do that any team that isn't a total dumpster fire (Hell, even ones that are, some people called for the ****ing Raiders to make the playoffs this past summer) will get picked as a "trendy" and "sexy" "Dark Horse" pick. Almost any team that drafts after the first pick in the draft in 2011 will have one sports writer somewhere talking them up in the offseason.

The Texans are no different. They'll still have their offensive pieces in place and it's going to be mighty difficult (Not that the Texans aren't up to the task mind you) to be even worse on defense than what they've been this year.

Trust me, somebody will pick them, some of us will laugh, others will believe. No way will I believe it till they do it, but I'm one person out of hundreds of millions.
Old 12-13-2010   #13
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
Roethlisberger is a lock assuming no injuries and even a mediocre career arc from here on out. He has two Super Bowls.
Jim Plunkett also won two superbowls and hasn't sniffed the HOF.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

But to get 2 the dance u dont need none of that

Cardinals
Seahawks
Philly
Carolina
Raiders

were are at the big dance
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

umm why is this even a thread topic? They are the best teams from their respective years so of course they're going to have 1, the other or both. Still doesn't change the fact that even if you don't have either, you can still make it there & even win it.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
Yep. And before we can talk about playoffs we have to put an end to our annual four game losing streak in the middle of the season. This team still has a ways to go.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #17
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected

How bout "the only way you get to the Super Bowl is if you get 53 guys that will do anything they can to get there".

The real story is: You need any and every break you can get to even make the got damn PLAYOFFS, let alone the Super Bowl. You can have 53 average players, but if they all sell out for the coach, play solid ball in all 3 phases of the game, and make plays...not to mention, get a little bit of luck, you can do whatever you want.
Old 12-13-2010   #18
panamamyers
Veteran

Plunkett played for 16 years and passed for 25,000 yards. Roethlisberger has nearly that many yards in 7 seasons.
Plunkett never made a Pro Bowl. Plunkett never threw for over 3,000 yards in a season. Roethlisberger has done that four consecutive seasons coming into this year.

The reason that everyone knows that Plunkett won 2 Super Bowls and did not make the HOF is because it is such an anomaly.

Brees I think is even more of a lock than Ben. Brees is a 4 time pro bowler, has thrown for more yards than Steve Young, has won a Super Bowl, has the third highest yards/game average in the history of the NFL. I don't see any way at all you keep him out, even if he retired today.

The whole point of this thread is that neither of these conditions describe the Texans.
If we intend to keep our current qb, then we damn well better come up with a defense that can hold the opposition to 14 or less every game if we want to meet the goal of winning a Super Bowl, which should be the goal of every single person in the organization.
Old 12-13-2010   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Roetheslberger is not a lock for the hall of fame. He has been a good QB but not great. He played terrible in the first super bowl. And those Steelers teams were known for their defense and timely offense.
Yeah. Roethlisberger only won Super Bowls cause their defenses.

Signed,
Lynn Swann
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #20
ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Yeah. Roethlisberger only won Super Bowls cause their defenses.

Signed,
Lynn Swann
It's true.

Signed,
The Seahawks 10 points in SB XL and James Harrison's INT for TD

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read