Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-08-2005   #21
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Right now I think we will finish last. I think the Titans and Jags are going to surprise you. They will not be as bad as last year and right now I don't see any reason to be optomistic about us next year. We have given up more than we have gained so far. The one incouraging note is the possible return of BJ. If we don't come out of the draft with someone who will have instant impact, you can say goodbye to next season. I still say we had the chemistry we needed at the end of the 2nd year, but that was all lost by the beginning of the 3rd year and we were never a TEAM last year. That's why we were so up and down last year. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I think people are way to optomistic given the perpensities of this coaching staff and players.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #22
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

@ us finishing last next year...How have the Titans improved enough over last year to possibly overtake us? They lost Rolle, Dyson, Mason, Miller, Nedney, Carter, Holocombe, all of them being starters...What have they gained over last year other than a quasi-healthy Steve McNair with nobody to throw to? The sky is falling, chicken little...Next season isn't over before it has even started...
Old 04-08-2005   #23
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Didn't the Titans pick up a pretty good OC from SC.
Old 04-08-2005   #24
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

They picked up a good college OC who has never worked in the NFL before...He may end up working out well for them and he may not, but he should take some time getting used to the NFL game...
Old 04-08-2005   #25
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Oh, yes, and if McNair is healthy he is more than a threat to beat anyone in this league. We will just have to wait and see. Perhaps I'm too negative, but I think many are way too positive about next season. I think we will continue to struggle with our O-line. Fix the O-line and we are a winning ball club. Don't fix it and we won't be a winner. I think its as simple as that. Capers will fix his defense because that's his forte. Offense is not, and that bothers me very much. I'm not looking for us to have an Indy offense, but I think Capers is not even giving us an average offense.
Old 04-08-2005   #26
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
I'm just curious...I know the Texans SHOULD beat Cincinatti and Cleveland, but WILL they?
The scary thing is that even though Cleveland was a terrible team last year that we couldn't beat, they will be totally different/better team this year.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #27
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

I actually think we have most of the pieces in place on offense, the only thing missing is pass protection, and I fully expect us to tend to fixing it through the draft...I may start to worry a little if we don't take any O-Linemen on the first day of the draft, though...You have to realize that there are a lot of people here who are constantly staring through steel blue glasses and can't step back and view things in an objectionable manner...If you ask most of the users here, they will say we are a playoff team, but IMO, we're not...We're still at least a year away...Capers is overhauling the LB corps and we'll have a few guys who will have to get used to their new roles, and our D may look really ugly at the beginning of the year, but by the end of the year, it will be a force (hopefully)...Still, the draft hasn't even passed, so it's still kinda early to speculate how things will shake out next season...
Old 04-08-2005   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Right now I think we will finish last. I think the Titans and Jags are going to surprise you. They will not be as bad as last year and right now I don't see any reason to be optomistic about us next year.
Well that pretty much sums up how to be chicken little--be as pessimistic as possible about the Texans and as optimistic as possible about everyone else--facts be damned--as D-Rek said, the Titans have lost a ton of players.

Quote:
I still say we had the chemistry we needed at the end of the 2nd year, but that was all lost by the beginning of the 3rd year and we were never a TEAM last year. That's why we were so up and down last year. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I think people are way to optomistic given the perpensities of this coaching staff and players.
All reality aside, that is a perfectly fine opinion. 2003 the Texans ended the season 0-4. Boy that chemistry sure paid off. 2004 the Texans ended 2-2. As for up and down I agree, winning back to back games on three occassions and two more total games in 2004 made them more up and down because there was more up vs. 2003 which was unbalanced down.
Old 04-08-2005   #29
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX

Not to sound like a part of the masses- I would be sorely disappointed if we didn't get into the playoffs. I would have been happy with ONE more win last year :-/
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #30
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Right now I think we will finish last. I think the Titans and Jags are going to surprise you. They will not be as bad as last year and right now I don't see any reason to be optomistic about us next year. We have given up more than we have gained so far. The one incouraging note is the possible return of BJ. If we don't come out of the draft with someone who will have instant impact, you can say goodbye to next season. I still say we had the chemistry we needed at the end of the 2nd year, but that was all lost by the beginning of the 3rd year and we were never a TEAM last year. That's why we were so up and down last year. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I think people are way to optomistic given the perpensities of this coaching staff and players.

hmm i dunno if your just having a bad day or did your dog die . very very negative opinion, i have an idea why dont you call capers and tell him to forefit this season, we dont want our texans to get humiliated or anything. And chemistry in 03,,,WHY because we LOST so many close games. And not enough in 04 because we won 2 more and finally had winning streaks,,,very strange opinion,,,but hey thats all it is "your opinion". InfantryCak make sure we can find this thread once the season is over PLEASE, cause it may come in as "good throw it in your face stuff "
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #31
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

maybe some people set themselves low standards so when they surpass them they feel absolutely amazing about everything.

that being said...i still dont understand ANY reason to be pessimistic about this upcoming season. and i dont really understand the part about the titans and jags being better than us.

the biggest talk this offseason has been the overhaul of the LB core and that is for the better. im actually pretty excited about our defense this year! but im always excited about texans football!!!
Old 04-08-2005   #32
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Relax folks, I-Bar has never seen a glass that was half full. He just sets things very negative. Not sure why, but then he isn't surprised if something goes wrong.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #33
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Here's an article from ESPN on the Return of McNair. As I have said I think you are writing off the Titans far too quickly. If McNair is around they are exceedingly dangerous. He has proven to be a one man gang in the past and his desire is unquestionable. Again many of you feel I'm too pesimistic, but many of you are too optomistic particularly with respect to the O-line and our offensive capabilities. My pessimism stems from the O-line and the lack so far of any indication of change or improvement. You have your opinions and I have mine. We were in the games at the end of the 2nd season and played very well against the top teams. Again we had team chemistry and we didn't have it last year.
Old 04-09-2005   #34
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Those who EXPECT the playoffs this year are VERY likely to be dissapointed. We will be in the hunt I think, but will come up a bit short at 9-7 or 10-6. That would be nice progress and then in the 06 season make the playoffs and in 07 run deep and maybe make it all the way.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #35
The Preacher
Veteran

Well at least next year will be very interesting. To at least have a shot at the playoffs is way more exciting than hoping you go .500 as in last year. Our division will be extremely tough and improved all the way around. The Titans will be losing a lot of talent but they were also decimated by injuries. They had thirteen rookies on their roster and I'm sure will improve through the draft. In fewer words I wouldn't expect them to be an easy W by any means. Obviously the Colts will be difficult and the Jags are somewhat unpredictable I would think they're a favorite for a wildcard too. I think it all comes down to staying healthy. Every area of the Texans will likely be improved(at least faster). They will have the talent to dominate if the d-line and o-line step up. That's the big if at this point but they should be much better. With the parity in the NFL we could have a home playoff game or drafting at #13 again. How's that for a prediction personally I think it's about time to dominate! I thought it would happen last year they just didn't seem to have the confidence it takes.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #36
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Here's an article from ESPN on the Return of McNair. As I have said I think you are writing off the Titans far too quickly. If McNair is around they are exceedingly dangerous. He has proven to be a one man gang in the past and his desire is unquestionable. Again many of you feel I'm too pesimistic, but many of you are too optomistic particularly with respect to the O-line and our offensive capabilities. My pessimism stems from the O-line and the lack so far of any indication of change or improvement. You have your opinions and I have mine. We were in the games at the end of the 2nd season and played very well against the top teams. Again we had team chemistry and we didn't have it last year.

i'm sorry maybe i'm missing something but dont a QB need some good players around him in order to be able to win games !?!?!?!? hmm i guess he can be the QB, running back, DE, WR and kicker/punter.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005   #37
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

McNair has had the ability to work with his players. He's like Montana in certain ways in that he seems to find ways to beat teams despite the talent he has. Just don't under estimate the man. I hope we can beat them, but I think they will be better this year and they will have a new OC. That could be good and bad, but he will bring new plays and techniques to the table. They will be more unpredictable for us. Our team has yet to score enough points to stay out of the reach of the other team. Consequently, if its close, you can be easily beaten by McNair. Last year our team was very vulnerable to a good passing QB. You give McNair time when he's healthy and he will riddle our defense. I don't think you can count any wins as certain wins for our ball club. Other teams will always be in the game against us, and one mistake, is all it takes. We never seem to have a comfortible lead.
Old 04-10-2005   #38
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Those who EXPECT the playoffs this year are VERY likely to be dissapointed. We will be in the hunt I think, but will come up a bit short at 9-7 or 10-6. That would be nice progress and then in the 06 season make the playoffs and in 07 run deep and maybe make it all the way.
Ok, I never thought about that. I was associating playoffs with a 9-7, 10-6 year, which is what I will be happy with. If that doesn't cut the playoffs, so beit.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm shooting at 9-7/10-6 myself. We will be in wild card contention with that record and this should be our first serious push for a playoff spot.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005   #40
rhc564
Veteran

Default who did we beat in 2004?

...please remember that 4 of our 7 wins were against the same 2 teams
and you can bet they will be gunning for us this year--we lost 9 of the other
12 games, including games to some lowly teams like the Tigers and Browns.
The playoffs this year? I guess some of us are wondering where all the
missing links are going to come from to win 9 or 10 games...don't get me
wrong, I'd love to see it. The Titans and Jags made major coaching changes,
as did many other teams which means we'll be seeing a lot of new stuff
from them and others. The Texans? Let's plan on '05 being another step
toward our goal of establishing a permanent/long lasting winning tradition
and not another 'well, at least we won one more game than '04,' or worse
yet---'so we had a worse record, just look at what we had to try and over-
come and it's only the 4th year of our 5 plus years plan'...
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read