Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-12-2010   #1
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default You are Mack Brown

So lets say you are Mack Brown. You have a lot of positions to fill on your offense and defense. Who do you hire as your offensive and defensive coordinators?

Here are some names I would consider for the Offensive Coordinator spot:

1. Bryan Harsin-OC Boise State. He has done wonders making Boise State into a offensive powerhouse. Doing a good job at Texas will lead him to any job he wants in the country.

2. Gus Malzahn-OC Auburn. Another name I keep hearing. Does not have as much experience as Harsin but has really turned the Auburn offense around.

3. Mike Leach-Former HC Texas Tech. Can you imagine his pass all day offense at UT? This is the kind of job that can rebuild his reputation and help him get a chance somewhere else.

Here are names I would consider for the Defensive Coordinator spot

1. Kirby Smart-DC Alabama. Has been studying under the tutelage of Nick Saban. And we all know Saban knows defense.

2. John Chavis-DC LSU. Has been under Les Miles.

3. TCU DC Dick Bumpas, Led the league in fewest points surrendered.

Ok. Now, its your turn. Who would you consider if you were Mack Brown.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #2
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41343 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: You are Mack Brown

OC Major Applewhite
DC Jerry Grey
Hook Em!
Old 12-12-2010   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

OC- Leach heknows the recruiting landscape in Texas and California

DC- Randy Shannon, he's a very good DC who was in over his head as a HC. Great recruiter who can help expand the recruiting base into Fla.

He was the 1st choice as DC before Muschamp was hired. But he got the HC job at Miami. You wouldn't have to worry about Shannon leaving UT for a HC job since he flamed out as the HC at Miami.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #4
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
OC Major Applewhite
DC Jerry Grey
Hook Em!
I would not be thrilled with Applewhite. Not sure he is the right choice now.

Grey I am meh on too.
Old 12-12-2010   #5
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
OC- Leach heknows the recruiting landscape in Texas and California

DC- Randy Shannon, he's a very good DC who was in over his head as a HC. Great recruiter who can help expand the recruiting base into Fla.

He was the 1st choice as DC before Muschamp was hired. But he got the HC job at Miami. You wouldn't have to worry about Shannon leaving UT for a HC job since he flamed out as the HC at Miami.
Shannon is an interesting name. He did do a great job as Miami D Coordinator. He definitely was able to recruit. I would be ok with that name.
Old 12-12-2010   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

OC - Harsin

DC - Shannon
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #7
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I'm for bringing back Fred Akers and John Mackovic
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2010   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I would polish my National Championship trophy while practicing on making my southern drawl deeper, and collect another check.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010   #9
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I'm for bringing back Fred Akers and John Mackovic
No love for David McWilliams?...lol.
Old 12-12-2010   #10
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 56302 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

The thread title gives me the willies. Is there a way to ignore a thread so I don't have to keep seeing

YOU are Mack Brown

Nightmares I am telling you, nightmares.
Old 12-12-2010   #11
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

If every OC is open to coming to UT, here's who I would choose:

Offensive Coord. Dana Holgorsen (OK St.) His offense averaged 44.9 PPG and had the third best passing offense and number one team in terms of yards per game total.

Defensive Coord. Dick Bumpas (TCU) His defense had the fewest points allowed per game and he has, IMO, perfected the 4-2-5 scheme. Has a good eye for talent and with the recruting power of Texas, he should have an easy task at rebuilding the Texas D.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Why on earth would a DC or OC from LSU, Bama or Auburn leave their current position to do the exact same thing at UT? You can't possibly think that is an upwards move from those schools to UT. Believe it or not, those schools do have money to pay their coaches. Every one of the guys mentioned should be expecting a head coaching offer, not a lateral move to a school that just went 5-7.

The only scenario I could see this happening is that the incoming DC/OC thinks that one more 7 or less win season will be the end of Mack, and they can take his job. Even still, they would be better off building their resume at their currently successful programs and then interviewing for the spot after Mack has officially gotten the boot.
Old 12-14-2010   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were Mack Brown (and that's a scary freakin' thought);

Dana Holgorsen

/End Thread
Old 12-14-2010   #14
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be one rich sumbitch.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #15
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I'd be one rich sumbitch.
hahahaahahha

ooh and for OC and DC there is only one answer

Last edited by hot pickle; 12-15-2010 at 09:21 PM.
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot pickle View Post
hahahaahahha
ooh and for OC and DC there is only one answer

Old 12-16-2010   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

For OC, any guy that runs a pro style offense. Tired of this bubble screen BS, time to get back to running it down people's throats.

For DC, any guy that has had success in recruiting SEC country.
Old 12-16-2010   #18
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74774 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Why on earth would a DC or OC from LSU, Bama or Auburn leave their current position to do the exact same thing at UT?
Well, Major Applewhite left the OC position at the University of Alabama to come coach at Texas. And it wasn't even a lateral move. He went from OC to RB coach.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
For OC, any guy that runs a pro style offense. Tired of this bubble screen BS, time to get back to running it down people's throats.

For DC, any guy that has had success in recruiting SEC country.
David Shaw, OC at Stanford, is the latest rumor. That would not be a bad move at all.

He has coached QBs, RBs, and WRs. I could see him coming over to Texas as OC and coach either RB or WR. Then Applewhite could coach QB.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010   #20
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 23664 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Why on earth would a DC or OC from LSU, Bama or Auburn leave their current position to do the exact same thing at UT? You can't possibly think that is an upwards move from those schools to UT. Believe it or not, those schools do have money to pay their coaches. Every one of the guys mentioned should be expecting a head coaching offer, not a lateral move to a school that just went 5-7.

The only scenario I could see this happening is that the incoming DC/OC thinks that one more 7 or less win season will be the end of Mack, and they can take his job. Even still, they would be better off building their resume at their currently successful programs and then interviewing for the spot after Mack has officially gotten the boot.
Chizik and Muschamp both came from Auburn.

Holgorsen is headed to West Virginia to be their OC.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...inia-holgorsen

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read