Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 07-14-2010   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2011 mock by Walter

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011_1.php

For those of us who scour the news and watch games for scouting info, I wanted to throw some info your way. Walter has us @ #23.
Houston Texans: Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska
The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

I'm interested in:
Free safety Duenta Williams from North Carolina
Center/G Mike Pouncey Florida
FS Blake Gideon Texas
QB Pat Devlin Delaware (I like Orslovky but just in case)

Check out comments in 2nd round about Duane Brown
Houston Texans: Nate Potter, OT, Boise State
If Duane Brown doesn't improve his play this season, the Texans may search for some left tackle competition in the 2011 NFL Draft.
Old 07-14-2010   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Nice find. Walter generally has some good stuff going on.

I love Crick as a prospect, but I dont know if I want him for the Texans yet. Deunta Williams however, is my boy. He has been on my radar since midway last year, and is my number 1 target for the Texans.

As a converted receiver, he has great hands, and knows what to do with the ball. Great size at 6'2" 215 ish, speed around the mid 4.4s, and off the charts agility. He also has been starting the last couple years, I think this will be his 3rd year as a starter at FS. I do worry about his tackling though, that is an area I would like to see some improvement in.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Nice find. Walter generally has some good stuff going on.

I love Crick as a prospect, but I dont know if I want him for the Texans yet. Deunta Williams however, is my boy. He has been on my radar since midway last year, and is my number 1 target for the Texans.

As a converted receiver, he has great hands, and knows what to do with the ball. Great size at 6'2" 215 ish, speed around the mid 4.4s, and off the charts agility. He also has been starting the last couple years, I think this will be his 3rd year as a starter at FS. I do worry about his tackling though, that is an area I would like to see some improvement in.
I know nothing about Crick but will try to watch him. Hopefully we will not have to draft a DT in top 4. I remember from our emails that D. Williams is on your radar. You know tackling is usually an issue fro cover type CBs and FS. He definitely has the size to be a good tackler. Does he remind you of Taylor Mays any? I know he is lighter than Mays.
Old 07-14-2010   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I know nothing about Crick but will try to watch him. Hopefully we will not have to draft a DT in top 4. I remember from our emails that D. Williams is on your radar. You know tackling is usually an issue fro cover type CBs and FS. He definitely has the size to be a good tackler. Does he remind you of Taylor Mays any? I know he is lighter than Mays.
He definitely does have the right size to be a great tackler, thats for sure. I think its more of needing better technique right now, we will see when the season starts. I plan on watching UNC at least 4 times next year, if thats possible. So much talent is on that D.

I would not compare him to Mays at all. Mays is like a linebacker playing safety. He has the speed, but I dont like him in coverage. Iffy hands, and would rather knock someone out than make a clean tackle. Williams goes for the wrap up, and I dont see him really run over people that much. He is much more of a prototypical FS.
Old 07-14-2010   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
He definitely does have the right size to be a great tackler, thats for sure. I think its more of needing better technique right now, we will see when the season starts. I plan on watching UNC at least 4 times next year, if thats possible. So much talent is on that D.

I would not compare him to Mays at all. Mays is like a linebacker playing safety. He has the speed, but I dont like him in coverage. Iffy hands, and would rather knock someone out than make a clean tackle. Williams goes for the wrap up, and I dont see him really run over people that much. He is much more of a prototypical FS.

Thanks, good ino. I start worrying when a FS goes over 210lbs. Big favor but if you could give me a heads up when North Carolina plays, I'd appreciate it as I do not usually focus much on their games. Do you agree if 2010 draft picks develop as supposed to that FS is #1 need? I am not sure Mitchell will start even if Okoye makes little progress in TC as I think O. is liked for his run defense.
Old 07-14-2010   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
[/b]
Thanks, good ino. I start worrying when a FS goes over 210lbs. Big favor but if you could give me a heads up when North Carolina plays, I'd appreciate it as I do not usually focus much on their games. Do you agree if 2010 draft picks develop as supposed to that FS is #1 need? I am not sure Mitchell will start even if Okoye makes little progress in TC as I think O. is liked for his run defense.
Will do. I actually think everyone should try to catch one UNC game, if only for their defense alone. DE Robert Quinn has top 5 talent. DT Marvin Austin, also top 5 talent. DT Tydreke Powell is a 4-6th rounder at this point. OLB Sturdivant is a borderline first rounder, as is OLB/ILB Bruce Carter. Both CBs, Kendric Burney and Charles Brown, have 3rd-5th round grades. And as discussed, FS Deunta Williams is a first round prospect.

As far as games go, Sept. 4th vs LSU is the marquee match up, with Sept 18th (vs. Georgia Tech), Oct. 9th (vs. Clemson), Oct. 23rd (@ Miami), and Nov. 13th (vs. Virginia Tech) are all worthwhile games to watch.

And I agree absolutely, if the picks from the past 2 drafts progress as the FO thinks they will, FS becomes the number 1 need, in my opinion, followed by Center.
Old 07-15-2010   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Stephen Paea is my choice right now straight up. It's Amobi's contract year so I expect him to produce, but could be in a similar situation as Dunta Robinson was & the market dictates more than the Texans think he's worth.

Paea is a poor mans Ndamukong Suh. pair him with Earl on the inside, Mario, Smith & Barwin on the corners you might really have something that =
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2010   #8
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Eh, I'd rather us go for a FS first. And I don't know about Jared Crick, I doubt he does as good w/o Suh. And being a Longhorn fan, I really don't want us to get Gideon. The drop against Tech has nothing to do with it, he's really not that good. If you watch the NCG from last year, all the big runs were because of him, he's terrible at angles. I don't see him getting drafted in the 2nd round, and I wouldn't be surprise to see him benched. IIRC, DeAndre tied w/ ET for interceptions last year, I would really love for us to get him in the 1st. What about Rahim Moore? He had the most interceptions last year.
Old 07-15-2010   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Stephen Paea is my choice right now straight up. It's Amobi's contract year so I expect him to produce, but could be in a similar situation as Dunta Robinson was & the market dictates more than the Texans think he's worth.

Paea is a poor mans Ndamukong Suh. pair him with Earl on the inside, Mario, Smith & Barwin on the corners you might really have something that =
Man, we are on the same wavelength here. Paea is my number 2 at the moment. I have Williams ranked slightly higher on my wishlist because of need. I think there is a better chance that one or two of the DTs step up, than one of the free safeties step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Eh, I'd rather us go for a FS first. And I don't know about Jared Crick, I doubt he does as good w/o Suh. And being a Longhorn fan, I really don't want us to get Gideon. The drop against Tech has nothing to do with it, he's really not that good. If you watch the NCG from last year, all the big runs were because of him, he's terrible at angles. I don't see him getting drafted in the 2nd round, and I wouldn't be surprise to see him benched. IIRC, DeAndre tied w/ ET for interceptions last year, I would really love for us to get him in the 1st. What about Rahim Moore? He had the most interceptions last year.
Crick has a lot of talent, and fantastic size. 6'6", 290 lbs, he could easily gain another 10-20 without losing much speed. But it will be interesting to see how he copes with being "the guy", and facing all the double teams. Remember, at this point in the scouting game, we are projecting big time. I will be surprised if 5 of my top 32 at this point go in the first round. The draft is just so fluid.

DeAndre McDaniel is a stud. As a sophomore he was a OLB, and as a junior he was moved to SS, where he did not disappoint. 98 tackles and 8 picks. He has great talent, probably top 15, but he was arrested for punching his girlfriend (in the face) and pushing her down the stairs. I am going to pass on him, just like I am passing on the next guy you mentioned.

Rahim Moore had a great season, pulling in ten picks to go along with his 45 tackles. However, at just 195 lbs (on a 6'1" frame), he is very light, which makes me seriously concerned about his his NFL potential. He needs to gain at least 10 pounds, keeping all of his speed. He would be best served staying for another year.
Old 07-15-2010   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Will do. I actually think everyone should try to catch one UNC game, if only for their defense alone. DE Robert Quinn has top 5 talent. DT Marvin Austin, also top 5 talent. DT Tydreke Powell is a 4-6th rounder at this point. OLB Sturdivant is a borderline first rounder, as is OLB/ILB Bruce Carter. Both CBs, Kendric Burney and Charles Brown, have 3rd-5th round grades. And as discussed, FS Deunta Williams is a first round prospect.

As far as games go, Sept. 4th vs LSU is the marquee match up, with Sept 18th (vs. Georgia Tech), Oct. 9th (vs. Clemson), Oct. 23rd (@ Miami), and Nov. 13th (vs. Virginia Tech) are all worthwhile games to watch.

And I agree absolutely, if the picks from the past 2 drafts progress as the FO thinks they will, FS becomes the number 1 need, in my opinion, followed by Center.
Thanks. I'm aware of Marvin Austin and agree with your eval. Those are some great games to anticipate. Hopefully other posters will watch and we can have great debates when you & I and Beerlover do our next series of mocks. Here is my concern with Pouncey as it was last draft with his brother. I think he will be gone by our 2nd round selection and other needs will keep us from drafting him in first.
Old 07-15-2010   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Walter has him going to Dallas. I can't remember but something makes me think I saw something negative about him but will hold judgement until I see more of him. Right now, I agree with 65 about Duente FS
Old 07-15-2010   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Man, we are on the same wavelength here. Paea is my number 2 at the moment. I have Williams ranked slightly higher on my wishlist because of need. I think there is a better chance that one or two of the DTs step up, than one of the free safeties step up.

Crick has a lot of talent, and fantastic size. 6'6", 290 lbs, he could easily gain another 10-20 without losing much speed. But it will be interesting to see how he copes with being "the guy", and facing all the double teams. Remember, at this point in the scouting game, we are projecting big time. I will be surprised if 5 of my top 32 at this point go in the first round. The draft is just so fluid.

DeAndre McDaniel is a stud. As a sophomore he was a OLB, and as a junior he was moved to SS, where he did not disappoint. 98 tackles and 8 picks. He has great talent, probably top 15, but he was arrested for punching his girlfriend (in the face) and pushing her down the stairs. I am going to pass on him, just like I am passing on the next guy you mentioned.

Rahim Moore had a great season, pulling in ten picks to go along with his 45 tackles. However, at just 195 lbs (on a 6'1" frame), he is very light, which makes me seriously concerned about his his NFL potential. He needs to gain at least 10 pounds, keeping all of his speed. He would be best served staying for another year.
Exactly, as our detractors have pointed out ad nauseum, players both pro and college get injured or a pro may be cut that changes everything. We only do this to "feed the need". Also agree on McDaniel as I don't want him on team. It may have been Rahim's build that was giving me that "twinge" I could not remember. He could be great but would take a pounding in NFL, especially on a team like Texans where he would be expected to come up to tackle.
Old 07-15-2010   #13
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here is my concern with Pouncey as it was last draft with his brother. I think he will be gone by our 2nd round selection and other needs will keep us from drafting him in first.
I was wondering what you think is a bigger need then the interior of the OL?

I can see FS (Wilson), OC (Myers) OG (Studdard), DT (Cody), then we are looking at upgrading the depth. We have young guys who maybe future players but it's to early to count on them, ie Nolan, Shelly Smith, and McManis, plus Caldwell has yet to show his ultimate value.

In the 1st round of Walters, I would be looking at the FS available over Crick. And like you you I do not think Pouncey makes our 2nd round pick. I am going to watch Kris O'Dowd from USC. He seems to be a solid pick.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Whether Duane Brown improves or not, I'd like to see us take another solid player that can play that position.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I was wondering what you think is a bigger need then the interior of the OL?

I can see FS (Wilson), OC (Myers) OG (Studdard), DT (Cody), then we are looking at upgrading the depth. We have young guys who maybe future players but it's to early to count on them, ie Nolan, Shelly Smith, and McManis, plus Caldwell has yet to show his ultimate value.

In the 1st round of Walters, I would be looking at the FS available over Crick. And like you you I do not think Pouncey makes our 2nd round pick. I am going to watch Kris O'Dowd from USC. He seems to be a solid pick.
I think the play of Smith at either guard or center eliminates the need for a draft pick for OLine until 4th. If I could get a solid FS in 2nd I would draft Pouncey. If Wilson has a great HEALTHY season or one of the others step up, I'd go Pouncey. Despite Kube's fascination with Studdard, he is weak link imo. In a perfect world i guess it would be Brown, Pouncey, Smith, Caldwell and Winston.
Old 07-15-2010   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011_1.php

For those of us who scour the news and watch games for scouting info, I wanted to throw some info your way. Walter has us @ #23.
Houston Texans: Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska
The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

I'm interested in:
Free safety Duenta Williams from North Carolina
Center/G Mike Pouncey Florida
FS Blake Gideon Texas
QB Pat Devlin Delaware (I like Orslovky but just in case)

Check out comments in 2nd round about Duane Brown
Houston Texans: Nate Potter, OT, Boise State
If Duane Brown doesn't improve his play this season, the Texans may search for some left tackle competition in the 2011 NFL Draft.
Why in the world would you want Blake Gideon? He's the one glaring weakness on the Longhorns defense. He's not even going to get picked up in the draft at all. No way he'll be an NFL player. I don't even think he'll be Senior next season either.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #17
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there any chance that the Texans would target Texas A&M's Von Miller? I know he's an OLB, but couldn't they move him to the weakside and have a crazy good pass rush from both sides?
Old 07-15-2010   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Why in the world would you want Blake Gideon? He's the one glaring weakness on the Longhorns defense. He's not even going to get picked up in the draft at all. No way he'll be an NFL player. I don't even think he'll be Senior next season either.
Did not say i wanted him but interested as he plays a position of need and I enjoy wathing UT games. BL,65 and I do not watch games to always rule a player into the mix but to often rule them out.

As a true freshman he started 13 games and was 3rd on team in tackles and had shoulder surgery last season. Many think he puts himself in right spot on field and keys well on QB. We will see.
Old 07-21-2010   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83329 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Gideon because he is a smart player and a hard worker. But I don't think he projects well in the NFL.

He is kind of a tweener at safety. Doesn't have the range to play FS and doesn't tackle well enough to play SS.

He might make a career out of special teams work and maybe as depth but I don't think he will ever be a contributor as a starting safety.

I'm a big fan of the UNC safety though. He has some serious ball skills. If he can improve his tackling a little bit then he will be looking real good.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I like Gideon because he is a smart player and a hard worker. But I don't think he projects well in the NFL.

He is kind of a tweener at safety. Doesn't have the range to play FS and doesn't tackle well enough to play SS.

He might make a career out of special teams work and maybe as depth but I don't think he will ever be a contributor as a starting safety.

I'm a big fan of the UNC safety though. He has some serious ball skills. If he can improve his tackling a little bit then he will be looking real good.
Thanks. Your comments give me something to watch for this season. If all goes well with our current roster and group of draftees, I am hoping a very good FS will be available LATE in first when we select.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read