Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-10-2010   #1
MFG16
Veteran

Rep Power: 301 MFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cowher "open" to a return to coaching.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Looks like he wants to come back to a team that can win right away, or can be turned around very quickly. Are the stars alinging?
MFG16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #2
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cowher "open" to a return to coaching.

We can only hope. I would love for him to come to the Texans, but I think the chances are slim.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #3
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm tired of people dismissively saying "Cowher wants to go to Carolina. Get over it."

No, he doesn't. I "get" that people have assumed that, for various reasons, including the fact that he lives there. But that doesn't mean squat.

Cowher wants a team that's ready to roll, a team that needs to be tweaked instead of re-built. He wants a team with a QB that's ready, so he can focus on defense.

Out of all the potential openings during the off season, we're the most attracitve. I'm tired of people assuming that Cowher won't come here or that we won't be able to get a top notch coach.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we will make a good try but others will just beat us out.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #5
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
We can only hope. I would love for him to come to the Texans, but I think the chances are slim.
Why are the chances slim? Why couldn't we get him?

I'm SO tired of the defeatest thinking of this fan base.

Yeesh. Grow a pair, people.
Old 12-10-2010   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
No, he doesn't. I "get" that people have assumed that, for various reasons, including the fact that he lives there. But that doesn't mean squat.
When this discussion came up last year someone spotted that his Carolina house was up for sale. Don't know what happened.
Old 12-10-2010   #7
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG16 View Post
Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Looks like he wants to come back to a team that can win right away, or can be turned around very quickly. Are the stars alinging?

We are that team!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2010   #8
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to have a head coach opening before we could hire the Chin. It doesn't look like we are going to get our wish based on the owners words the past few weeks.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:

agreed. all McNair needs to show is that he is done with being so cheap err frugal with the money. if he can show that he is willing to spend the money it takes to fill these glaring holes and he is willing to pay Cowher and his assistants top money, we will be in good spot to secure his coaching services.

what job opening has more promise or possible instant turn-around? that's right. there isn't one.

Denver - No QB. Bad D. Ailing owner. Little talent.
Carolina - No QB. Lots of holes in the roster. Tough division.
Dallas - No QB (Romo is the white Warren Moon...choker extraordinaire) Aging team.
Buffalo - Next.
Minnesota - No QB. Outside shot though because they do have talent.
San Diego - One of the few spots where I would choose them over Houston.
Arizona - No QB. Replacing a friend would be tough for Cowher too.
Cincinnatti - Not as far-fetched as you would think. Steelers division foe though?
Cleveland - Cowher played for the Browns but would he want to be in Steeler's division. (see above)
Houston - QB in place. Talent on both sides of ball. Vacuum of power where Cowher would be the man and savior.

I think Houston is tied with San Diego for most appealling jobs this offseason (and that is if Norv and/or Kubiak are even fired)
Old 12-10-2010   #10
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15236 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I assume people are saying that because other teams have openings and we don't...yet.

If we ever do find ourselves with a head coaching vacancy, I think there's enough talent on the current roster to get Mr. Cowher's attention.
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why does it take balls to believe that McNair will make a decision contrary to the M.O. that he's clearly established the past decade?

Look, I want Kubiak gone like most Texans fans these days. But, I'm also pragmatic about our owner's history of über-loyalty toward mediocre employees with nice personalities.

The simple fact is that believing McNair will both fire Kubiak soon and hire a very pricey HC like Cowher is beyond blind faith and more in the area of delusional optimism. I don't mind if people partake in this particular mental exercise, but I'm not going to call anyone out for buying or not buying into it.

I'm not saying that it won't or can't happen, but rather having balls has nothing to do with believing that it will, in fact, happen. We have been conditioned as Texans fans to give up false hopes, to expect mediocrity to be rewarded by the owner, and accept that mediocre results is always given an extra free pass beyond it's worn out welcome.

My only real hope is that my hunches are proven wrong, wrong, wrong about McNair's intentions with Kubiak. I still think he'll be here in 2011 with a newly hired coach named Wade on his staff.
Old 12-10-2010   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Top spots for Cowher to land.

Dallas
Carolina
NY Giants
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
agreed. all McNair needs to show is that he is done with being so cheap err frugal with the money. if he can show that he is willing to spend the money it takes to fill these glaring holes and he is willing to pay Cowher and his assistants top money, we will be in good spot to secure his coaching services.

what job opening has more promise or possible instant turn-around? that's right. there isn't one.

Denver - No QB. Bad D. Ailing owner. Little talent.
Carolina - No QB. Lots of holes in the roster. Tough division.
Dallas - No QB (Romo is the white Warren Moon...choker extraordinaire) Aging team.
Buffalo - Next.
Minnesota - No QB. Outside shot though because they do have talent.
San Diego - One of the few spots where I would choose them over Houston.
Arizona - No QB. Replacing a friend would be tough for Cowher too.
Cincinnatti - Not as far-fetched as you would think. Steelers division foe though?
Cleveland - Cowher played for the Browns but would he want to be in Steeler's division. (see above)
Houston - QB in place. Talent on both sides of ball. Vacuum of power where Cowher would be the man and savior.

I think Houston is tied with San Diego for most appealling jobs this offseason (and that is if Norv and/or Kubiak are even fired)
I don't think San Diego would give Cowher the amount of power he'd want with AJ Smith being there.
Old 12-10-2010   #14
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Why does it take balls to believe that McNair will make a decision contrary to the M.O. that he's clearly established the past decade?

Look, I want Kubiak gone like most Texans fans these days. But, I'm also pragmatic about our owner's history of über-loyalty toward mediocre employees with nice personalities.

The simple fact is that believing McNair will both fire Kubiak soon and hire a very pricey HC like Cowher is beyond blind faith and more in the area of delusional optimism. I don't mind if people partake in this particular mental exercise, but I'm not going to call anyone out for buying or not buying into it.

I'm not saying that it won't or can't happen, but rather having balls has nothing to do with believing that it will, in fact, happen. We have been conditioned as Texans fans to give up false hopes, to expect mediocrity to be rewarded by the owner, and accept that mediocre results is always given an extra free pass beyond it's worn out welcome.

My only real hope is that my hunches are proven wrong, wrong, wrong about McNair's intentions with Kubiak. I still think he'll be here in 2011 with a newly hired coach named Wade on his staff.
Bob McNair has one of the most profitable sports franchises on the planet earth, and he's staring at an economy that has stalled. If he wants to keep his profitable franchise humming along, he'd better MOVE HIS ASS. He is providing a service. His customers are not happy. It's that simple.
Old 12-10-2010   #15
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

Dallas
Carolina
NY Giants
Accordoing to whom?
Old 12-10-2010   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bob McNair has one of the most profitable sports franchises on the planet earth, and he's staring at an economy that has stalled. If he wants to keep his profitable franchise humming along, he'd better MOVE HIS ASS. He is providing a service. His customers are not happy. It's that simple.
You and I both understand this and desire the same things.

However, the difference between us is that you think it can/will happen.
Old 12-10-2010   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

Dallas
Carolina
NY Giants
Right now, Dallas is one Roy Williams fumble from being 4-0 under Jason Garrett, the Giants are tied for first place, and there's lots of skepticism about whether Jerry Richardson would pay Cowher what he requires.

When you look at the teams that would throw so much money at Cowher that he almost couldn't turn it down, you've basically got the Cowboys and the Redskins. I already pointed out why the Cowboys may not even choose to enter the competition, and Snyder's already got Shanahan.

I honestly don't think there's a "favorite" for Cowher as long as there are so many unknowns about who's gonna get fired, and who might survive solely due to the potential lockout (this category would include Kubiak), but if you put together a list of places Cowher could realistically be coaching next year, there's little doubt in my mind that Houston's on that list.
Old 12-10-2010   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
When this discussion came up last year someone spotted that his Carolina house was up for sale. Don't know what happened.
Could it be that his wife was getting more ill at that time. Now that his wife has died, he may have much less ties to "staying at home."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #19
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher has said he wants to go to a place where he can win immediately. He has also been rumored to really wants the Giants HC job. Unless the Giants fold these next 4 weeks I can't see them firing Coughlin. IF they do however I would bet the house Cowher would be the Giants next coach.

Since that is unlikely the Texans would appear to meet his criteria. However whether he comes here or not will depend on McNair. Would he pay him the money that it would take to get him here? Will he continue to be "Mr. Nice Guy" and hang on to Kubiak too long?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #20
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
...Cowher amassed a 161-99-1 record in 15 seasons with the Steelers from 1992-2006. He led Pittsburgh to six conference championship games and two Super Bowls...
Son... of.. a... biscuit.

It's the perfect storm - Denver job is opening up, Elway may go back to the front office, Houston job (may) be opening up.....

do it.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read