Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2010   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What are the Texans biggest holes, and how would you fix them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
There has also been lots of HC's that were experts on one side of the ball, that dominated on the other side... ie. Billick and the Ravens
Kind of. Billick only had one year where his O broke into the top 10 and he hovered around 20 the rest of the time.
Old 12-09-2010   #22
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43353 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Kind of. Billick only had one year where his O broke into the top 10 and he hovered around 20 the rest of the time.
That's what I was talking about. Billick is an offensive expert, but his offenses usually sucked.

But the defenses were dominant.
Old 12-09-2010   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
That's what I was talking about. Billick is an offensive expert, but his offenses usually sucked.

But the defenses were dominant.
Sorry. Thought you were saying he was good on both sides.
Old 12-09-2010   #24
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak's offense isn't dominant. The Texans dominate at nothing,
and just meander for 60 minutes. What do the Texans hang their
hat on? What's the bell cow?
Old 12-10-2010   #25
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 92530 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
The running game?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
The running game?

Mike
While we have the number 1 rusher in the league, we are far from being the number 1 rushing TEAM in the league. For just sheer yardage on the ground, the Chiefs are kicking everyones ass.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #27
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a quote from Ray Lewis during the weekly conference call. Tell me, is there anything he mentions that would make anyone think of the Texans defense? Heck no!

RayRay on playing with passion

Quote:
(on how important passion is to a defense) I think passion is the reason why you have to play. That is the only way you could play defense. I dont think you could play defense with a lackadaisical attitude because defense is different. Were more kind of dictators, reacting on what offenses give us, or things like that. You got to always have to have a chip on your shoulder. Kind of be pissed off. I think, from my side, thats what the passion comes from. Like always just having a chip, whether its offensive coordinators drawing up game plans to trick him or manipulate him on this play or that play or whether somebody is saying, Im going to come knock him out. Thats what I think passion has to come from.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...d-45cfa4b7c7e9
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2010   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The holes are the same as last yr

1. Management, McNair,Smithiak etc...

2. Personel same as last yr
a.Secondary
b.Pass rusher
c.Run Stuffing DT
d. Athletic WLB
D. Speedy Wr
E. Interior OL

Other than those little things the Texans are in great shape. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #29
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 35494 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I would have a mandatory meeting with all the players at Reliant and tell the players that we're going to start from scratch and if they desire to be a part of it, then stick around. If not, stop cashing the paychecks and go find work elsewhere...
And bring a big stack of applications to work to at Jack-in-the-Box for those who won't get with the program.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010   #30
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

John Holmes couldn't fill all the Texans holes.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010   #31
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
John Holmes couldn't fill all the Texans holes.
To laugh at this statement, would require admitting knowledge of who
John Holmes is.
Old 12-13-2010   #32
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG16 View Post
Who does Zac Diles get no love? I'm not saying we cant improve at that position but I think he is one of the most underrated players in the league. Im also so tired of people complaining about why We took Okoye over Willis. At the time DeMeco was coming off his DROY season and we were weak at DT. That would be like us taking a SAM Linebacker after Cushings DROY season. Besides its not like we knew Okoye would be terrible, we tried to fill a hole with a high potential high draft pick.

As for the holes on the current team:

1. Coaching
2. Safety
3. Cornerback (veteran)
4. WR
5. Speed (watching that eagles game made how slow the texans looked glaring)
Zack Diles is a back up LB. Period. We need an upgrade at will. It's a sad truth.
Old 12-14-2010   #33
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching last nights game I can't help but think that adding in a DT even half as good as Ngata could do this team wonders. If we added in a DT and FS by next season this D could be much improved. I'm going to stick with those as our biggest needs.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #34
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Step 1. Fire HC, DC, GM

Step 2. Hire HC,DC,GM

Step 3. Draft defense (nothing new here)

Step 4. SIGN CHAMP BAILEY (he's a FA and why would he stay in denver? he's still got the ability 9x probowler and he will be one this year. get this guy for 3 years and start quinn opposite side.

Step 5. ?????

Step 6. Profit
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #35
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hi guys
this is my first post on the forums. i have been a texan fan for a few years now down in australia.

just thought i would say since our massive losing streak i been looking at the off-season not because im less of a fan just that i see it as an opportunity to really take this team from a 7-9 or 8-8 team to a serious contender in this league.

From what i have seen in alot of mock drafts is that there probably wont be any or maybe just 1 FS going in the first round it seems that there arnt to many outside rahim moore and duenta williams. Unless they have incredible combines they will fall in the 2nd.

In my opinion FS is our main priority but i dont think we should draft them in the first round. Maybe get them in the 2nd or trade up in the 2nd to get them.

DT seems to have a few prospects especially if we land from 11-15 in the draft. players like paea come to mind.

If however we get a top 10 pick, i think we try go for one of the two corners.
But i have my reservations because i still feel that because we spent a 1st on a CB last year and that they are still young i would give them another year and probably add a veteran from FA.

OLB is clearly a problem because diles cannot be relied upon (im hoping for bruce carter from NC)

in the Draft i think we draft:
1st - a DT - paea
2nd - FS and OLB - williams and carter (because hopefully we can trade something with slaton jj and a pick) ..... only trade JJ if we get someone in FA
Then in later rounds draft a WR, O-line (C and G), P (not in that specific order).

in FA we should be looking at a speedy WR, C , and a veteran CB (i.e champ bailey).

if we can address either a DT, FS, OLB in FA that would be fantastic.
but unless we see some sort of change in coaching and or mentality from owners i dont see much happening in FA.

i know that was a massive message but i have been wanting to get that off my chest for a while.

GO TEXANS

Last edited by aussie_texan; 12-14-2010 at 09:52 PM.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #36
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

what do you guys think??
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #37
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Hi guys,

as you Im frustrated by the lack of progression of this team. We are probably gonna finish in the 7-9 to 9-7 range and miss the playoffs again... Doing some changes in the coaching staff is probably on the top of the priority list for most guys - but what about our roster? Where do we desperately need to add talent and how?

Id say we are pretty much set at QB, HB, FB, TE and probably WR on offense. The O-line is actually doing a pretty good job this year, but Id probably feel better, if we add on or two players here at the offseason. Perhaps draft one early and sign one as a FA.

Now to the defense - Id say we are set at DE. I know a lot of you guys are upset with the pass rush, but I think with Mario, Smith, Barwin and Anderson we have enough quality here. What we are missing is another force at DT - drafting DTs is pretty tough, Id love to sign a proven veteran here, but they are hard to get. Our LB corps looks pretty good when healthy, but I felt better, if we signed another promising project in the latter rounds.

Now to our secondary - the root of all that evil this year ;-). In my opinion, drafting a FS would be at the top of my priority list this offseason - if you can sign a great veteran, sure do that, but pretty often rookies at FS actually contribute more than rookies at CB. That`s why I wouldn`t draft another CB high this year (perhaps a 4th rounder), unless some big talent falls into our laps. But a big Free Agent signing here would definetly help.

On the ST side, we need a KR and PR - but I wouldn`t draft a dedicated returner like Holiday - perhaps just draft a young CB who is a good returner. Oh, and we definetly need a punter this year - Turk isn`t really having a good season, and we are definetly losing the match of field position.

So in my opinion, these are our biggest needs:

1. FS (draft 1st round if the talent is available)
2. DT (FA or trade)
3. CB (FA or trade)
4. O-Line (draft maybe even 2 players)
5. LB (draft)
6. P (draft)
7. returner (draft)

What do you guys think?
I think you are pretty much on point here. The DT we should look at is Albert Haynesworth even with the "bad attitude". I don't think we need any LBs as we are set there with the emergence of Sharpton.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #38
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
The Texans dominate on playing that sickening country western music that the cheerleaders cannot get down to and that the majority of the young crowd can't relate to. Mr. McNair cannot tell the difference between a football game and the rodeo.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #39
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Hi guys
this is my first post on the forums. i have been a texan fan for a few years now down in australia.

just thought i would say since our massive losing streak i been looking at the off-season not because im less of a fan just that i see it as an opportunity to really take this team from a 7-9 or 8-8 team to a serious contender in this league.

From what i have seen in alot of mock drafts is that there probably wont be any or maybe just 1 FS going in the first round it seems that there arnt to many outside rahim moore and duenta williams. Unless they have incredible combines they will fall in the 2nd.

In my opinion FS is our main priority but i dont think we should draft them in the first round. Maybe get them in the 2nd or trade up in the 2nd to get them.

DT seems to have a few prospects especially if we land from 11-15 in the draft. players like paea come to mind.

If however we get a top 10 pick, i think we try go for one of the two corners.
But i have my reservations because i still feel that because we spent a 1st on a CB last year and that they are still young i would give them another year and probably add a veteran from FA.

OLB is clearly a problem because diles cannot be relied upon (im hoping for bruce carter from NC)

in the Draft i think we draft:
1st - a DT - paea
2nd - FS and OLB - williams and carter (because hopefully we can trade something with slaton jj and a pick) ..... only trade JJ if we get someone in FA
Then in later rounds draft a WR, O-line (C and G), P (not in that specific order).

in FA we should be looking at a speedy WR, C , and a veteran CB (i.e champ bailey).

if we can address either a DT, FS, OLB in FA that would be fantastic.
but unless we see some sort of change in coaching and or mentality from owners i dont see much happening in FA.

i know that was a massive message but i have been wanting to get that off my chest for a while.

GO TEXANS
I think you are bang on. Welcome to the board.

I believe (in almost any sport) that we should build on strength down the middle. A solid DT, MLB, and FS are the start to a good defense. Right now we only have one of those three and he is injured.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #40
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

These comments aren't just based on what I saw last game. These comments don't reflect the biggest need but they do reflect that something needs to be done quickly about these two positions.

WR and Kicker. I know we've got the best one in the game. However, KW and JJ have been inconsistent and outside of those two, we only got David Anderson. The inconsistency of KW and JJ have reulted in bad halves of football. I even took into consideration that the emergence of Arian Foster has resulted in less snaps for KW and JJ but then you go back and look and see how we tend to abandon the run, surely there are times for them to step up. If we want a consistent offense, we have to have guys that consistently get open and make the catches that are thrown to them.

Neil Rackers is only good inside 45. I realize that him having to kick a 50 yarder is a result of an offense that didn't execute. However, I'm not asking him to make all 50 yarders but at least look like he's got the leg to get it there. On top of that, he can't kick it in the endzone and things like what happened on Monday make it that way. We need a strong leg.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read