Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2010   #1
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What are the Texans biggest holes, and how would you fix them?

Hi guys,

as you Im frustrated by the lack of progression of this team. We are probably gonna finish in the 7-9 to 9-7 range and miss the playoffs again... Doing some changes in the coaching staff is probably on the top of the priority list for most guys - but what about our roster? Where do we desperately need to add talent and how?

Id say we are pretty much set at QB, HB, FB, TE and probably WR on offense. The O-line is actually doing a pretty good job this year, but Id probably feel better, if we add on or two players here at the offseason. Perhaps draft one early and sign one as a FA.

Now to the defense - Id say we are set at DE. I know a lot of you guys are upset with the pass rush, but I think with Mario, Smith, Barwin and Anderson we have enough quality here. What we are missing is another force at DT - drafting DTs is pretty tough, Id love to sign a proven veteran here, but they are hard to get. Our LB corps looks pretty good when healthy, but I felt better, if we signed another promising project in the latter rounds.

Now to our secondary - the root of all that evil this year ;-). In my opinion, drafting a FS would be at the top of my priority list this offseason - if you can sign a great veteran, sure do that, but pretty often rookies at FS actually contribute more than rookies at CB. That`s why I wouldn`t draft another CB high this year (perhaps a 4th rounder), unless some big talent falls into our laps. But a big Free Agent signing here would definetly help.

On the ST side, we need a KR and PR - but I wouldn`t draft a dedicated returner like Holiday - perhaps just draft a young CB who is a good returner. Oh, and we definetly need a punter this year - Turk isn`t really having a good season, and we are definetly losing the match of field position.

So in my opinion, these are our biggest needs:

1. FS (draft 1st round if the talent is available)
2. DT (FA or trade)
3. CB (FA or trade)
4. O-Line (draft maybe even 2 players)
5. LB (draft)
6. P (draft)
7. returner (draft)

What do you guys think?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #2
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What are the Texans biggest holes, and how would you fix them?

Fix this black hole and everything will follow in line.

stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I'd start with a new coaching staff and see where they lead us.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #4
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 23119 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I'd say their biggest holes are their arses... they seem to always have their heads in them... it's gonna require major surgery
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #5
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

First priority and only thing that is going to come close to "fixing" this team is a new coaching staff.

After that, we can talk about players.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Get the coaching fixed first. Then, put the defensive depth chart on the wall, grab a dart, throw it at the chart and wherever it hits....start there. IMO, there's not a position on that side of the ball that couldn't use an upgrade, especially DT. I'm tired of seeing DT's around the league create havoc in the trenches and then watch the Texans play.

It's so sad our defense is this bad when we've spent so much on that side of the ball. Ridiculous
Old 12-08-2010   #7
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Yeah, I'd start with a new coaching staff and see where they lead us.
Old 12-08-2010   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post

This
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Starting the very first day after the last regular season game (since we won't be in the playoffs...again) I would fire the entire coaching staff, including the special teams coach. Gone. All of them.

I would have a mandatory meeting with all the players at Reliant and tell the players that we're going to start from scratch and if they desire to be a part of it, then stick around. If not, stop cashing the paychecks and go find work elsewhere. I'd take a real hard-line stance on it. I'd conduct the player meetings and ask them for input. "What's working? What isn't?" and "What do you think this team should focus on?" A lot of people here think this is rubbish to do these sorts of things. It CAN be rubbish if you don't manage that sort of meeting very well. If you go into it with the goal of trying to understand what they think, how they feel, and get insight as to what's going on, you can then find a coach based on knowing he can change those things.

Having ZERO coaches is not a bad thing. It doesn't communicate failure, or panic, etc. It says "You know what? Let's just stop everything. Let's erase the chalkboard and ask the players--the guys out there battling each week--for input and insight. They know a lot more than you can ever imagine. They have a shred of dignity and self-respect left. All men do. But it has to be encouraged to express itself. Openly. Honestly.

Then, I would take my information and guard it like precious treasure. Only I would know that information. And maybe my GM. Maybe. And then, I would begin interviewing anybody I felt had carried the scepter of leadership (with previous teams) in such a way that it would benefit my players and adjust the culture and way of doing things.

Also, gotta' hire a coach who would leave some things untouched. The running game is working really well. The stats prove it. The passing game has suffered this year after a steady increase each previous year, so it needs help again. One of the things Tommy Tuberville did wrong, IMO, is that he said he wasn't going to change anything and yet the key coaches on offense and defense were gone. Big mistake. He should have came in as more of an outside observer and someone who would act as sheriff and keep the law. At least for his first year. Keep things going like they were, as much as possible. But he couldn't resist putting "his" stamp on things. And he has failed miserably. The defense is worse than it was, and the offense has lost its signature style and flavor. 10 years of Leach's guys, building and adjusting all those years, getting it tweaked and primed for performance each Saturday, and they were ousted.

So the new guy has to be very aware of the existing things that are working and he has to be cautious about dismantling things too quickly.

We've given Gary 5 years. I can give the new guy a pass on his first year if it means ramping things up in year 2 and beyond.

Overall, I just want a coach the players will respond to.
Old 12-08-2010   #10
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77712 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Offense:

WR (AJ is the best in the NFL, but his supporting cast are all bums)
Guard

Defense:

DT
FS
WLB

As for fixing it, just go BPA in the draft. Which means no more Kareem Jacksons over Dez Byrants or Amobi Okoyes over Patrick Willis
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #11
MFG16
Veteran

Rep Power: 300 MFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respectedMFG16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Offense:

WR (AJ is the best in the NFL, but his supporting cast are all bums)
Guard

Defense:

DT
FS
WLB

As for fixing it, just go BPA in the draft. Which means no more Kareem Jacksons over Dez Byrants or Amobi Okoyes over Patrick Willis
Who does Zac Diles get no love? I'm not saying we cant improve at that position but I think he is one of the most underrated players in the league. Im also so tired of people complaining about why We took Okoye over Willis. At the time DeMeco was coming off his DROY season and we were weak at DT. That would be like us taking a SAM Linebacker after Cushings DROY season. Besides its not like we knew Okoye would be terrible, we tried to fill a hole with a high potential high draft pick.

As for the holes on the current team:

1. Coaching
2. Safety
3. Cornerback (veteran)
4. WR
5. Speed (watching that eagles game made how slow the texans looked glaring)
MFG16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #12
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post

yup...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #13
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I'd say their biggest holes are their arses... they seem to always have their heads in them... it's gonna require major surgery
Must spread rep...
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont get payed to figure out our problems !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just know we need to get better in all 3 phases ............ Kube SPeak LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #15
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

New coach and GM.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I gotta say at DC. The league is FULL of HC's that are experts on 1 side of the ball and that's where their teams are best. Kubes is an offensive guy and we have a good offense. Slow as hell to start a game,yes, but still a good offensive squad.
Our D is in shambles. We have multiple #1 picks and still struggle. We need someone less system oriented and someone more player oriented to put guys where they need to be and able to play within themselves.
Old 12-08-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I gotta say at DC. The league is FULL of HC's that are experts on 1 side of the ball and that's where their teams are best. Kubes is an offensive guy and we have a good offense. Slow as hell to start a game,yes, but still a good offensive squad.
Our D is in shambles. We have multiple #1 picks and still struggle. We need someone less system oriented and someone more player oriented to put guys where they need to be and able to play within themselves.

There has also been lots of HC's that were experts on one side of the ball, that dominated on the other side... ie. Billick and the Ravens
Old 12-08-2010   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

New coaches, DT, and secondary.
Old 12-08-2010   #19
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. New CB's and other defensive players.

2. New defensive coordinator.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010   #20
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Biggest Hole - Head Coach

Fix - Bill Cowher

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read